PDA

View Full Version : stay in harlem dangerous? other suggestions for apt?

bishop
October 14th, 2005, 07:50 AM
hi all

i dunno if im in the very right forum here but since i tried the board search i think this should be the place to post

we want to visit your funky town but we definitely dont want to stay in a typical tourist place

i am looking for a short term apartment with kitchen for 4 people

i found several stuff and the nicest was in harlem so far

i am not sure how the situation is there right now
155 st / st nicholas ave
maybe some of you live there or know if its safe to stay there if you have a white skin.. (i never understand whats up with this skin colour but it seems to matter somewhere)

if there is anyone with a good advice for renting an apartment from march 09 til march 21 around 1200 $ ?

doesnt matter if its clean and cheaper ;)

i would love to read you guys

thanks in advance!

bish

Ninjahedge
October 14th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Thing is, if you don't have a problem with it, other people will not have a problem with it.

You will be different in some of those areas, and will get some attension that is for sure, but so long as you do not look like you are in some foreign land, most people will not give you a second glance.

bishop
October 14th, 2005, 10:13 AM
thanx ninja

viewing this forum learned me alot so far
i am just thinking of some muggers or stuff

u can read loads of crime in harlem on the net but i am lookin forward and it seems to progress and less crime around

i have to explain it to the ladies.. because they are really afraid of this area so i ask about the situation right now

any advice is appreciated :)

thank you guys!

ablarc
October 14th, 2005, 10:33 AM
Thing is, if you don't have a problem with it, other people will not have a problem with it.

You will be different in some of those areas, and will get some attension that is for sure, but so long as you do not look like you are in some foreign land, most people will not give you a second glance.

I read this post with interest because I've wondered about this myself.

What you say might be a true and wise answer, Ninjahedge; despite the internal contradiction in the second sentence, it's evident what you mean. But if it's indeed true, pause for a second and consider its implications:

If you do look like you're in a foreign land, you can expect some trouble, because some of the locals are just dangerous enough to go after someone who doesn't look self-confident. This means you have to take special pains you might not need in a safer place, a form of appeasement.

I like a place where I can safely look clueless.

From his question, bishop seems to me like he might "feel like he's in a foreign land," so a responsible application of your insightful advice might be: "Don't stay in Harlem."

None of us want bishop's blood on our hands, even if he's possibly uncool.

Schadenfrau
October 14th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Bishop's planning on walking the streets of New York City, not a shooting gallery. I think it's pretty safe to say that there won't be blood anywhere.

I would wager that the residents of Harlem have seen a white person before.

redhot00
October 14th, 2005, 11:30 AM
Bishop's planning on walking the streets of New York City, not a shooting gallery. I think it's pretty safe to say that there won't be blood anywhere.

You read my mind Shhadenfrau from the Boogie Down Bronx. This irrational fear of neigborhoods like Harlem is just that, irrational. I can see Bishop, who is an out of towner being a little in the dark on this one, but the NY'ers on this forum need to correct those who think that a stroll through Harlem is equivalent to a stroll through Baghdad.

Despite what some on this forum think, the plummeting crime stats in NY are not a figment of someone's imagination.

ablarc
October 14th, 2005, 11:33 AM
Not all streets are equally safe. There's been great improvement in the crime situation in New York, but there's no point in being a pollyanna, even in the interest of political correctness. Too much potentially at stake: no one wants bishop even hassled; blood isn't the invariable outcome of unwelcome events. Back in the bad old days I attended a James Brown concert at the Apollo. My friends and I were at the receiving end of so much mean-spirited harrassment that I daresay even you, Schadenfrau, would have been rattled.

Obviously true, but irrelevant except for rhetorical effect.

Schadenfrau
October 14th, 2005, 12:41 PM
The block he's talking about is fine. I've been there a few times myself and have had no trouble.

You're not an instant target for violence if you're a white person in a neighborhood that's not majority white. Would you expect that a black person would be the target of verbal attacks for walking through the West Village?

Ninjahedge
October 14th, 2005, 01:38 PM
All I know is that walking through certain areas of NW Manhattan I have been looked at like I was some sort of zoo animal that got out.

But the thing was, it was not inimical, just more of a "I wonder what he is doing here" kinda look.

I got similar, but much more veiled looks when I was in Japan.

When I said trouble I meant it in the most general context. You will not be sneered at if you do not look at the locals like THEY were from some foreign land. You will have no problem with them other than a few inquisitive looks.

As for blood-safety. Just don't go looking for people in the 3 dark alleys left in Harlem at 2AM with money hanging out of your pockets. ;)

ablarc
October 14th, 2005, 01:42 PM
Would you expect that a black person would be the target of verbal attacks for walking through the West Village?
No, but chances are he too would be less secure in Harlem. It's not purely a question of racial animosity.

Schadenfrau
October 14th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Well, if you're afraid of black people, don't go to Harlem. End of story.

Ninjahedge
October 14th, 2005, 02:08 PM
Well, if you're afraid of black people, don't go to Harlem. End of story.

What if you are afraid of green people.

I don't like green people....

Schadenfrau
October 14th, 2005, 02:10 PM
Stay away from hot dog carts and Red Lobster.

Ninjahedge
October 14th, 2005, 03:43 PM
Stay away from hot dog carts and Red Lobster.

I thought they just had back problems........

HarlemRep
October 15th, 2005, 01:13 AM
No, but chances are he too would be less secure in Harlem. It's not purely a question of racial animosity.

Bzz wrong. 155th and St Nick is 33rd precinct. It has a crime index so far this year of 695. West Village, 6th precinct, is at 1395. I live in the 32nd precinct which is the heart of Central Harlem (previously known as "The Dangerzone"), and is also lower than the West Village with a rate of 1,011.

I wish people would stop looking for a reason to give my neighborhood a bad name.

You'll be fine bishop. The few violent crimes that do happen up here are NOT random. If you're not messing with someones girl or involved in the drug trade, I doubt you'll be getting shot or stabbed any time soon.

BxOne
October 16th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Bishop the only way you will know for sure is to check out the area for yourself. Where are you from anyway? 155th and St. Nicks is the Harlem/Heights border. As a matter fact you are down the block from Polo Grounds Towers, not the nicest place to be at night, trust me.

Ask yourself questions like this:

Are you comfortable around low income Blacks?

Are you comfortable wtih the fact you might be the only White person at any given time on a block?

Are you comfortable that living in Harlem you will see things associated with poverty such as crime and drugs?

You need check out Harlem the way a Harlemite would. You need to take the bus, yes the BUS to one of the off 125th retail strips. You need to go to the basketball court and play a game with some of the locals. You need to experence Harlem in depth. Don't go shooting dice in Harlem River Projects, I don't want you getting robbed. Just experence the local community for a few days, see how you feel.

Living in Harlem is like any other low income community. You need to watch your back. I'm sure no one would hastle you, unless you frequent the streets. Then you have a good chance at being a target. If you are a homebody, who only frequents the immidiate area during the day. You go to and from places, meaning you run to the bodega every now and then. Head over to the train station, mabey pick up a newspaper. You should be fine.

If you hang out in front of the building, or the corners. If you walk around at 2am with a nice coat (A popular coat in the neighborhood), cell phones, or a gold chain, ect. Your chance of something happening will skyrocket. Don't be a victim, the 3-3 is overloaded with robberies anyway.

As for Schadenfrau, she refuses to belive cops don't do footpost in Impact Zones. I think she needs to get out the loft and see how life is in the projects.

BTW, 1-3-9 and LENNOX is the dangerzone, where no man can withstand to hold his OWN.

Schadenfrau
October 16th, 2005, 05:38 PM
BxOne, you seriously need to stop slagging me. I do not live in a loft and I've never made any such statement.

It's clear that you troll the internet looking to stir up trouble, and not much else.

BxOne
October 16th, 2005, 05:59 PM
You live in the Port Morris Clocktower (You call that DA BRONX). I'll leave you alone. Only reason I commented on you is becuase you sparked off on another thread with me.

ablarc doesn't like me, I don't like him. Saying he is afraid of Black people was a stupid comment. So I had take the opportunity. I won't talk about you anymore though.

Back on topic. Bishop how old are you, where are you from. Age and nationality can make a difference. Size doesn't mean shit anymore. These days everyone has a gun, or they jump you.

ZippyTheChimp
October 16th, 2005, 06:11 PM
BxOne:

Are you bxone and/or thebxone at this forum (http://backinthebronx.com/groupee/forums)?

Same posting style...Also interesting inconsistencies.

BxOne
October 16th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Yup, I use that forum to get some OLD pics (Before 1950) and post local news every once and a while.

I use this forum every once and a blue, and I stick some news in that one. I was on Skyscraperpage when I went all out on the Mod and got banned. I will admit I elevated that situation. Skyscraper City Forum also likes to steal my shit. I found that out through google, took my housing project thread on SSP forum, not a member of that one though.

Thats accually pretty wierd though how you could figure that out. I mean, besides the obvious name.

ZippyTheChimp
October 16th, 2005, 06:19 PM
That's all I need to know.

Schadenfrau
October 16th, 2005, 06:22 PM
For the record, I do not and have never lived in the Clocktower Building. If I did, I'd be pretty furious that you posted my address.

BxOne
October 16th, 2005, 06:29 PM
For the record, I do not and have never lived in the Clocktower Building. If I did, I'd be pretty furious that you posted my address.

Well you said you live in Port Morris. I could have sworn you said the clocktower, but my memory isn't that great. Still Port Morris is nothing but vacant buildings/warehouses and some lofts. The area is dead, literally.

It doesn't matter though, I agreed to leave you alone, your name will stay away from my post.

Now back to Harlem World.

ZippyTheChimp
October 16th, 2005, 06:30 PM
Thats accually pretty wierd though how you could figure that out. I mean, besides the obvious name.
You're not a very good cop, are you?

Schadenfrau
October 16th, 2005, 06:39 PM
Say, did you know that it's illegal to impersonate a law enforcement officer, even on the internet?

BxOne
October 16th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Who's impersonating.

I give advice to an out of towner and this is what I get. Hate

The things I said are either facts or common sense. The things I said to you, mabey I was right about that.

As a matter fact, goodluck Bishop. All I have ever recieved on this forum is hate. Especially from who ever the hell you are Schadenfrau. Bishop, bad idea coming to a forum for information. Next time check out the neighborhood for yourself. Ask REAL residents on the street. People who interact in the community, not a girl who sits at the computer thinking she knows a block becuase she has walked through it a few times.

I hope you are happy with whatever decision you make. No wonder no other MOS come to these forums to chat about city life, too much ignorance.

Girl you got what you wanted, now enjoy your loft space.

Law & Order
October 16th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Who's impersonating.

You.

ZippyTheChimp
October 16th, 2005, 06:52 PM
Someone came to this forum, and asked a legitimate question.

We don't need crap from someone who has such low self-esteem that he thinks it is necessary to invent a life in order to give his posts more validity.

There is no reason to keep this thread open.