PDA

View Full Version : buying a car

sui
October 23rd, 2005, 08:17 AM
hi, not sure about the car ownership policy in the US, as a visitor for 3 month, am i able to own a vehicle? is the insurance compulsory? apart from paying the car itself, any other hiden cost? many thanks

ablarc
October 23rd, 2005, 09:48 AM
hi, not sure about the car ownership policy in the US, as a visitor for 3 month, am i able to own a vehicle?
Sure.

is the insurance compulsory?
Of course.

apart from paying the car itself, any other hiden cost?
Where are you planning to use the car? Garaging it in New York City will cost you a bundle.

ryan
October 23rd, 2005, 11:38 PM
You have to pay property tax on cars in Connecticut

lofter1
October 24th, 2005, 08:43 AM
A report on CNN this weekend, regarding people who had given up their cars for bicycles, stated that those individuals saved ~$500.00 / month in car-related costs. In NYC that amount would undoubtedly be higher.

ryan
October 24th, 2005, 11:33 AM
I've been quoted $400-500 for insurance in NYC (full coverage, required if you have a loan on your car). It would be more if you had bad credit, a bad driving record, or have not had a car insured for 6 months.

sui
October 28th, 2005, 06:18 AM
I have friends live in NY, so i will probably spend most of my time in NY, but i also need a transport for travelling to easten ski fields, like mtsnow and killington.

ablarc
October 28th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Whe you go on a ski trip, rent a car.

ZippyTheChimp
October 28th, 2005, 08:57 AM
If you are staying in the city, there is no reason to buy a car.

For any day trips, you can rent a car. You can set up an account/profile with one of the car rental companies, so picking up a car when you need it will be easy.

You will also avoid having to sell the car after your 3 month stay.