PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference?

JeMoeder
October 26th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Hey Ya'll

We have a question for Americans:
What is, according to you, the difference between Americans and non-americans, in other words: how do you guys see others?

Plz, give some serious answers, cuz we need it for our presentation...

Greetings from Holland
JeMoeder

Gulcrapek
October 26th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Here, differently from most of the rest of the country...

Ninjahedge
October 26th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Saying "what is the difference between Americans and the rest of the world" is akin to saying "What is the difference of europeans to the rest of the world".

We all know that the Dutch are the same as the Irish, right? ;)

I think one of the main differences is just the mix we still have. It makes the social dynamic still fresh. Some neighborhoods are already settled in their ways, while some still have a large immigrant influx. We have families having 1 kid, and some having 12. We have devout religious followings, and vehement athiests.

I guess the only thing we have, generally, in common is that our standard of living is higher than most. We are getting crowded, but houses, even after the bubble, are still marginally affordable.

We worry a lot more about things we have little control over and are losing control over the things we should pay more attension to.

That is about all I can see. And that is not very different than other nations....

lofter1
October 26th, 2005, 09:18 AM
I assume you are referring to "Americans" as those who live in the USA (friends from other parts of North and South America take some offense at this, seeing as how their countries are also part of the Americas, although that is best left to a different discussion). Based on that assumption ...

Most Americans have little to no real knowledge of the world beyond the borders of the USA. This leads to a lack of both understanding and empathy towards views of the world that differ from their own. It also leads to a belief that the American way is the only way. Which is not the most mature way to view the complexities of the world we live in.

On the other hand Americans tend to be very generous to those in need, as was witnessed by the response to the devastation from the tsunami in SE Asia. Such compassion can be short lived and buttresses the idea that Americans want a quick fix to problems and don't tend to consider long-term ramifications.

Americans, for the most part, also have a firm belief that the individual is fully responsible for their own success or failure, with little real consideration of social / economic factors that might control the course of an individual's life path. While many facts do not support this viewpoint, it is a bedrock belief of Americans, particularly at this point in our history: Individuals first, Society / Community a far second. Recent events might be causing a shift in thinking on this topic, but that might be wishful thinking on my part.

Swede
October 26th, 2005, 11:47 AM
I may not be American, but my view on this is simple. Americans have US citizenship, non-americans don't. Simplistic, but accurate.

stache
October 26th, 2005, 12:18 PM
America, being such a large country, has a difficult time seeing beyond our boarders. Especially true for our citizens that live in the central area. Holland for example is so much smaller that naturally most of its citizens have traveled internationally, something that is probably not true for the average American.

Schadenfrau
October 26th, 2005, 12:55 PM
I really don't like this trend of Europeans hitting up American message boards with broad questions about general American sentiment.

Shouldn't a presentation be more thoroughly researched?

Ninjahedge
October 26th, 2005, 02:33 PM
I really don't like this trend of Europeans hitting up American message boards with broad questions about general American sentiment.

Shouldn't a presentation be more thoroughly researched?

Schade, it strikes me that this is more of a high school or early college essay here.

I agree that the topics are kind of broad and definitely myopic in application and that the question posters should maybe rephrase it a bit.

But how much can you do if your professor/teacher asks you to do just what these guys are asking us about?

I have heard of dumber topics than this.