PDA

View Full Version : Forum Tab....

Ninjahedge
October 31st, 2005, 10:10 AM
Gone?

I used to go directly to the home page, then tab over to the forums.

Just wondering what was the reason for the removal of the tab...

ryan
October 31st, 2005, 10:57 AM
It's been renamed "community"

Ninjahedge
October 31st, 2005, 11:05 AM
I just noticed that..........

BrooklynRider
October 31st, 2005, 12:27 PM
I noticed it over the weekend. I like it better.

infoshare
October 31st, 2005, 01:11 PM
From what I recall one of the pioneers of IT was Claude Shannon who wrote a seminal work titled: A Mathmatical theory of communication. Basically it breaks down the the formula ---

COMMUNICATION = INFORMATION - REDUNDANCY - NOISE

My guess about the tab name "Forum" was the elimination of "redundancy" since this website is named "Forum" - thus making for better communication.

Sorry about the "NOISE", its a slow afternoon for me.

Best regards to all.

from the "old guy"

ZippyTheChimp
October 31st, 2005, 05:45 PM
The website is named Wired New York. (http://www.wirednewyork.com/) The Forum (now Community) tab was not redundant there.

Community sounds friendly - we could use that.
Forum sounds intellectual - we could use that.

infoshare
October 31st, 2005, 06:41 PM
Well , got that wrong. Now that its not redundant; Forum is better.

The website is named Wired New York. (http://www.wirednewyork.com/) The Forum (now Community) tab was not redundant there.

Community sounds friendly - we could use that.
Forum sounds intellectual - we could use that.

Ninjahedge
November 1st, 2005, 08:50 AM
Community sounds more like an events listing or something, not an interactive posting board....

Now that I know which one is which, it really does not matter to me, but "community" does not bring to mind a BBS. Would this be a problem in getting new people to join the discussions/finding the board?

infoshare
November 1st, 2005, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=Ninjahedge]Community sounds more like an events listing or something, not an interactive posting board....

Why I come to Wired is the focus it offers - New York real estate, Architecture, New York Infrastructure, ect... then it branches off into a broader "community".

I like to think of this board as a "forum" for information on New York Real Estate. So forum would get my vote; if this by chance turns into a vote.

On that note: I have recently photographed the construction progress on a new building on Varic one bloc north of canal --- will try to post photos today.