PDA

View Full Version : Transportation from/to New York airports

Pages : [1] 2

Edward
November 2nd, 2005, 10:34 PM
Since the issue of transportation from the airports frequently comes up, I think we need a sticky thread for this. For now, just a picture.

LaGuardia airport - the view from the new observation deck in Rockefeller Center. 29 October 2005.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/guide/airports/lga_ge.jpg (http://www.wirednewyork.com/guide/airports/)

Bowbridge
November 5th, 2005, 09:55 AM
OK, what lens did you use to get this shot? The angle doesn't look right either. What are all the hills in the background?

tdp
November 6th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Very powerful lens by the look of it...

More pics from the Top OF The Rock anyone??

Transportation: I paid a little extra on my last visit (as my family were travelling with me) and tried a Limo (Lincoln Town Car) from one of the many companies that run a service.
It was a little disappointing - I expected a more leisurely ride - but it was just like being in a different coloured taxi!

NewYorkYankee
November 6th, 2005, 03:59 PM
It was a little disappointing - I expected a more leisurely ride - but it was just like being in a different coloured taxi!

Thats what Ive always figured, so I plan to catch a cab to the airport for Thanksgiving.

NewYorkYankee
November 6th, 2005, 05:22 PM
It wouldnt have been more exspensive. It was just easier to get a taxi when we got there, instead calling ahead for one.

Jim Koeleman
November 11th, 2005, 02:08 PM
edit.

NewYorkYankee
November 13th, 2005, 03:23 PM
A taxi.

lofter1
November 13th, 2005, 04:12 PM
Airporter bus to GCT is about 1/3 the cost (but then it will be another $5 - $10 for the taxi to get you across town to your hotel).

michelle1
November 13th, 2005, 04:35 PM
a taxi $50

ablarc
November 13th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Why do they bother building all these expensive AirTrains if they're not good enough to recommend?

CraigyB10
November 17th, 2005, 07:50 AM
We are flying into Newark in December and staying at the Millenium Hilton Hotel - is it best to get a cab or take different transport??

BPC
November 17th, 2005, 08:27 PM
the answer on all these airport questions is always a taxi

there are buses and trains and such, but nothing you would want to do with luggage

if you can afford the Hilton, you can afford a cab

ryan
November 17th, 2005, 11:07 PM
Why do they bother building all these expensive AirTrains if they're not good enough to recommend?

The airtrain is fabulous, it just doesn't go anywhere.

miceagol
November 26th, 2005, 07:03 PM
Hello everyone! :)

My girlfriend and I are visiting New York City for the first time in late December. :D We are coming from two different parts of the world to different parts of New York. She comes from Oslo, Norway and lands on Newark, and I travel from Tucson, Arizona arriving the same day on La Guardia. My girlfriend has seven hours on her to get to La Guardia before I get there.

I've taken a look on some of the transportation possibilities from airport to airport. The taxi rate is pretty expensive for one person according to the airport website (http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/connframewr.htm), so that is not an option.

Have anybody any experience with ETS Air Shuttle (http://www.etsairshuttle.com/)? Do you think there is any need to book it in advance when it's not necessary to take it immediately after arrival? Do you know where their ticket counter is located on Newark?

Our hotel is located in Brooklyn. How much do you think the taxi rate would be from La Guardia to our hotel? Our plane back is going from Newark. Are there any hotel-to-airport transportation options? Or would a taxi be a better idea in this case, since we're two this time? How much do you think the taxi rate would be? :confused:

Thanks for any reply!

BPC
November 26th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Hello everyone! :)

My girlfriend and I are visiting New York City for the first time in late December. :D We are coming from two different parts of the world to different parts of New York. She comes from Oslo, Norway and lands on Newark, and I travel from Tucson, Arizona arriving the same day on La Guardia. My girlfriend has seven hours on her to get to La Guardia before I get there.

I've taken a look on some of the transportation possibilities from airport to airport. The taxi rate is pretty expensive for one person according to the airport website (http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/connframewr.htm), so that is not an option.

Have anybody any experience with ETS Air Shuttle (http://www.etsairshuttle.com/)? Do you think there is any need to book it in advance when it's not necessary to take it immediately after arrival? Do you know where their ticket counter is located on Newark?

If you love or even just like this girlfriend, you will not have her schlep out from LaGuardia to Newark to meet you, after a flight from Norway(!), when the two of you will be staying in Brooklyn. Just meet her at your hotel, or if it is before the hotel's check-in time, than have her drop off the bags and meet you at a nearby cafe. Newark Airport is nowhere near Brooklyn.

Our hotel is located in Brooklyn. How much do you think the taxi rate would be from La Guardia to our hotel?

It really depends. Brooklyn is a big borough. Probably about $30.

Our plane back is going from Newark. Are there any hotel-to-airport transportation options? Or would a taxi be a better idea in this case, since we're two this time? How much do you think the taxi rate would be? :confused:

Thanks for any reply!

Cabs to and from Newark are more expensive than LaGuardia, because you are crossing state lines and such. Ask your hotel to recommend a reasonably priced car service for you. Should be about $40.

miceagol
November 27th, 2005, 12:13 AM
If you love or even just like this girlfriend, you will not have her schlep out from LaGuardia to Newark to meet you, after a flight from Norway(!), when the two of you will be staying in Brooklyn. Just meet her at your hotel, or if it is before the hotel's check-in time, than have her drop off the bags and meet you at a nearby cafe. Newark Airport is nowhere near Brooklyn.

Hehe:) It's the other way around. She's landing on Newark before me (4pm), and will be travelling to La Gurdia to meet me (11pm). I suggested that she travel to the hotel and rest there after the long day with jetlag and everything, but she wanted to meet me at the airport (we haven't seen each other for 5 months at that point).

And yes, I love her:rolleyes:

Cabs to and from Newark are more expensive than LaGuardia, because you are crossing state lines and such. Ask your hotel to recommend a reasonably priced car service for you. Should be about $40.

Good suggestion!

By the way: The hotel's on 980 Wyckoff Ave (Red Carpet Inn).

HarlemRep
November 29th, 2005, 11:56 PM
By the way: The hotel's on 980 Wyckoff Ave (Red Carpet Inn).

Wow, a visitor staying in Bushwick.

Anyway, take the airtrain! then go from the A to the L. easy. 2 dollars!

miceagol
November 30th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Wow, a visitor staying in Bushwick.

Is that bad or good? :confused:

TLOZ Link5
November 30th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Is that bad or good? :confused:

Not bad or good, just uncommon.

Bushwick is a resurgent neighborhood that's had a reputation for crime and decay in the past, but it's gradually been getting better. Though crime is down exponentially compared to 15 years ago, it still has a bit of an edge to it (there have been 14 murders in the 83rd Precinct this year compared to 12 in all of 2001, but they're still down 30% compared to last year and down 73% compared to 1990).

http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/pdf/chfdept/cs083pct.pdf

Use common sense, though, and you should be all right.

cvickery
December 21st, 2005, 11:59 AM
Hi Everyone,
I am yet another first time visitor to NYC. Flying into Newark in April with my family. I thought we'd get a taxi to our hotel and was wondering if the taxis will take 4 adults + one case each, or should we be looking for something bigger? The taxi certainly looks easier than the train.

Thanks
Chris

Edward
December 21st, 2005, 12:40 PM
Taxis take 4 people and luggage, no problem

MUFC
January 10th, 2006, 08:25 AM
So if i'm flying into JFK, and am looking for a transfer to right near the Empire State, then i'm best getting a taxi?? Was thinking about booking a bus ($15 one-way) until i read this.

ryan
January 10th, 2006, 10:35 AM
MUFC- if you're traveling alone and don't have much baggage, the airport bus from the terminal to grand central is a good option for you. Much faster than the subway (and so much more pleasant) and less than 10 blocks from the Empire State (15-20 minute walk).

If you are traveling with a group, a cab makes more sense - same price as 3-4 bus tickets and much more convenient as it will drop you right at the door of your destination.

MUFC
January 10th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Cheers Ryan. I'm travelling with my girlfriend, so you think that it's worth an extra $20 to go door to door?? (based on the fact that a cab would be $50 inc tip??)

lofter1
January 10th, 2006, 11:46 AM
If you're coming over in the winter months and there's the possiblity of cold, nasty weather then door to door would be worth the extra $20 ....

ryan
January 10th, 2006, 11:53 AM
I wouldn't do it b/c personally don't like cabs, and I don't mind the walk. If you're ok with the walk, I say take the bus... unless it's raining... or you have a lot of luggage.

Evgeny
January 17th, 2006, 02:25 AM
Last year I visited NYC and used AirTrain to get to the city. The fare to get to Manhattan is only $7 (subway fare is included). You can buy that Metrocard when you get to Howard Beach Station. Then just take the A train to Manhattan. Personally, I think it`s a more convenient way of getting to the city than using a cab. And it`s a lot cheaper.

www.airtrainjfk.com

Edward
February 6th, 2006, 12:55 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/06/nyregion/06chopper.html
February 6, 2006
New Helicopter Service Promises Wall St. to J.F.K., in 9 Minutes
By PATRICK McGEEHAN

As soon as next month, travelers could be boarding helicopters at the foot of Wall Street and flying straight to Kennedy International Airport, zipping past city traffic — and also past other passengers waiting to clear security at the airport.

That service, which will cost more than $140 each way, is being arranged by a start-up company and the federal government. The Transportation Security Administration, a division of the Department of Homeland Security, is setting up screening equipment for passengers and luggage at the Downtown Manhattan Heliport, making it the first heliport in the country to be "federalized," said Ann Davis, a spokeswoman for the administration.

Within a few months, the security administration plans to install a similar checkpoint at the heliport at the east end of 34th Street, Ms. Davis said. Each heliport will have at least eight screeners and the full complement of scanning and bomb-detection equipment used at airports, all provided by the federal government, she said.

The checkpoints will allow customers of the U.S. Helicopter Corporation to check themselves and their bags through to their final destination, be it Chicago or Shanghai, said Jerry Murphy, chief executive of the company. In eight or nine minutes, the helicopters will whisk passengers straight to a gate at the airport, where they can walk right onto their planes, he said. Their bags will be loaded directly onto the aircraft.

The service's appeal will be "selective," said Charles A. Gargano, the vice chairman of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, which operates the downtown heliport. He said the customers would be executives "in the financial community and downtown" who want to save the time it can take to ride to the airport and go through security.

U.S. Helicopter plans to begin operating in mid-March with 12 hourly flights from downtown to the American Airlines terminal at J.F.K., Mr. Murphy said. It hopes to reach agreements soon to deliver passengers to other airlines. Its Sikorsky helicopters can carry as many as 12 passengers, and it expects to have three of them initially, Mr. Murphy said, giving it a capacity of fewer than 500 outbound passengers a day.

By contrast, about 50,000 travelers pass through security screening each day at Kennedy, according to the Port Authority. The security administration plans to spend $560,000 this year to set up and operate the checkpoint at the Wall Street heliport, on Pier 6 in the East River, Ms. Davis said.

Creating a checkpoint at the East 34th Street Heliport will cost about the same, she said. Ms. Davis added, "It was our decision that based on U.S. Helicopter's business model, it would be of benefit to us to provide resources to these two heliports."

To supply the screeners at the heliports, the administration will have to reduce staffing at airports because Congress has limited their number nationwide to 45,000 since 2002. Some Congressional Democrats have argued for a lifting of that cap, calling it arbitrary and counterproductive, but it remains in place.

To stay within the limit, the security administration reassigns positions as it federalizes additional airports. The administration manages security at about 450 airports but, so far, no heliports, Ms. Davis said.

In July, it decided to reduce the maximum number of screeners at the region's three largest airports, Kennedy, La Guardia and Newark Liberty International, to 3,542 from 3,791, a decrease of 6.5 percent. That drew protests from officials at the Port Authority, which operates the three airports. They argued that more screeners were needed because in recent years passenger traffic at the airports has been rising.

Though some of the 16 employees the administration expects to place at the Manhattan heliports might otherwise be screening passengers at one of the three airports, Mr. Gargano said he approved of the plan.

"Well, why not? It's not costing the Port Authority anything," he said. "Adding another mode of transportation to the airports is a good thing."

He said the service could help reinvigorate the economy of Lower Manhattan and was in keeping with the ultimate plan of providing a faster trip from downtown to Kennedy. Mr. Gargano, like his political patron, Gov. George E. Pataki, has been an advocate of a rail link from the Wall Street area to the airport. Having helicopter service, he said, would not obviate the need for the train.

"You're talking about different levels of riders," he said. "The number of people moving this way is not going to be great."

Still, U.S. Helicopter does have big dreams. The company hopes to have scheduled service between all three public heliports in Manhattan — the third is at the west end of 30th Street — and the three big airports within a year. Then, according to documents the company filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission, it hopes to add service in other cities.

Doing so would require a lot more capital, agreements with more airlines and federal security checkpoints at several more heliports. Mr. Murphy of U.S. Helicopter said the company had raised $19 million, $6 million of it from investors in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia. In New York City, there has been no scheduled helicopter shuttle service to the airports in almost 20 years, aviation officials said. The concept had its heyday in the 1970's and 1980's, when Pan American and New York Airways provided service from heliports, including one atop the Pan Am building, now the MetLife Building.

The rooftop helipad was closed in 1977 after a spinning rotor broke loose on a New York Airways helicopter and killed five people, including a woman on the street below. Helicopter service to Kennedy from the East Side and downtown heliports continued until Pan Am ran into financial trouble in the mid-1980's.

Mr. Murphy, who was chief executive of Kiwi Airlines, which is now defunct, said he expected U.S. Helicopter to carry as many as 160,000 passengers in its first year. Initially, the one-way fare will be $139, plus taxes and fees, but it will rise to $159 within weeks, he said. He said the company planned to start selling tickets this week at its Web site, www.flyush.com.

"We believe that the majority of our customers will be the people that fly airplanes on a very high-frequency basis," Mr. Murphy said. Most of those people already travel to the airports by livery cars that charge $85 or more but can take 45 minutes, compared with 8 or 9 minutes in a helicopter, he said.

larrych
February 7th, 2006, 09:07 PM
Somehow we made flight plans to arrive at EWR and 4 hours later to leave from JFK .... all on around 5pm on a Sunday night. :mad: Yes, I know the AirTrain/subway/AirTrain is the cheapest, but somehow dragging luggage on the MTA and having to make 3 different connections doesn't really appeal to the wife. And no, we are not yet rich enough to afford the $150+ taxi/supershuttle fee to go that way.

Any suggestions or recommendations for some means of transportation which is reasonable, can be accomplished by an ex-NYCer (50 years ago!!), certain to get us there on time, and safe?

Appreciate it. larrych

BPC
February 7th, 2006, 11:04 PM
2 cabs: Take the NJ cab into the City ($35-40), and then as soon as you emerge from the Holland Tunnel, hop out at the Police Station right there on the roundabout and hail an NYC cab to JFK ($50-55). That comes to a lot less than $150. If you ask the NJ cab in EWR to go all the way to JFK, you are keeping him out of NJ for a long while, and have to compensate him for the time and distance. The two-cab solution will run you about $90.

ManhattanKnight
February 8th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Any suggestions or recommendations for some means of transportation which is reasonable, can be accomplished by an ex-NYCer (50 years ago!!), certain to get us there on time, and safe?

The website of the Port Authority (which operates both EWR and JFK) lists several comparatively low-cost options for inter-airport transfers: http://panynj.com/

Medic_dk
February 22nd, 2006, 12:58 PM
Hello.

When my sister and I arrive at Newark airport on the 15 march, how can we get to our hotel Thirty Thirty on 30 East 30 th St . New York NY 10016?

What is the cheapest way??

Yours sincerly

Medic_dk

NYatKNIGHT
February 22nd, 2006, 01:46 PM
Taxis:
Cost between $30-$40 plus tolls, and the trip takes about 45 minutes. Most direct door-to-door service, but most expensive.

SuperShuttle(blue and yellow van):
Shared mini-bus. Operates direct service daily, 24 hours, costs approximately $15. Return trip requires 24 hours notice.
http://www.supershuttle.com/htm/cities/nyc.htm

New Jersey Transit Express Bus (http://www.nyas.org/about/directions.asp#)
Runs every 15 minutes from 6 AM to midnight (hourly after that). They will take you to the Port Authority Bus Terminal. The fare is $7; buy your ticket inside the airport.
Very cheap, but never did it (http://www.njtransit.com/sf_bu_town2town_results.jsp)

Olympia Airport Express Bus (http://www.nyas.org/about/directions.asp#)
Costs $11 each way or $21 round trip. It leaves every half hour, and goes to Grand Central Station, Penn Station, the Port Authority Bus Terminal.
book online (http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp)

Regional Rail (http://www.nyas.org/about/directions.asp#)
Take the AirTrain Newark monorail to the Newark International Airport Rail Link Station. From here, Amtrak and New Jersey Transit trains run to both Newark Penn Station (for connections to PATH subway trains to 33rd St./6th Ave. or WTC - about $8.50) or New York Penn Station, which has connections to the subway (about $11.00).

NJ Transit Airport Connections (http://www.ny.com/cgibin/frame.cgi?url=http://www.njtransit.com/&frame=/frame/travel.html)

Medic_dk
February 22nd, 2006, 02:06 PM
Thanks a lot NYatKNIGHT for your quick answer :-)

milleniumcab
February 26th, 2006, 07:30 PM
All transportation fees into NYC are per person except for yelow taxi. It will give door to door service to up to 4 people for metered fare ( $45.00 flat rate from JFK to Manhattan) + any tolls. You may even request for a minivan yellow taxi at taxi dispatch area if you have 5 people in your party.;) Now that's a real bargain...

Tanner929
April 23rd, 2006, 02:37 PM
I find New York Bus Service the most convinent. If you have to use transportation other then taxi cabs I find this will keep you from over packing. If I have time I'll take the MTA, haven't done that lugging golf clubs though. It is a shame that the Subway does not have a LGA stop like O'Hare and Midway Chicago airports have.

Superdupes
May 16th, 2006, 10:10 AM
All transportation fees into NYC are per person except for yelow taxi. It will give door to door service to up to 4 people for metered fare ( $45.00 flat rate from JFK to Manhattan) + any tolls. You may even request for a minivan yellow taxi at taxi dispatch area if you have 5 people in your party.;) Now that's a real bargain...

I believe there was a recent hike in gas prices. A friend just returned from NY and said that JFK to Manhattan in a taxi was now a flat rate of $75.

Is this now the case?

krulltime
May 16th, 2006, 10:30 AM
^ Really? Wow if it is a flat rate then that is scary. Or maybe your friend got ripped off.

MrSpice
May 16th, 2006, 10:37 AM
I believe there was a recent hike in gas prices. A friend just returned from NY and said that JFK to Manhattan in a taxi was now a flat rate of $75.

Is this now the case?

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

I think you were scammed. They are supposed to charge $45 + tolls + tips

Superdupes
May 16th, 2006, 10:48 AM
http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

I think you were scammed. They are supposed to charge $45 + tolls + tips

It wasn't me it was a mate of mine. He's quite pompous about his travelling knowledge so this will allow me to take the piss out of him. :D

I was going to get the train but $45 is quite reasonable between 2 of us!

MrSpice
May 16th, 2006, 11:29 AM
It wasn't me it was a mate of mine. He's quite pompous about his travelling knowledge so this will allow me to take the piss out of him. :D

I was going to get the train but $45 is quite reasonable between 2 of us!

Don't forget about hundreds of car services that you can find in your yellow pages. You can call a car service located near the airport in Queens and I bet they will give you an even better rate. Not to mention that many of those guys hang out at the terminal offering their services to the people...

Superdupes
May 16th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Cheers MrSpice knowing the missus she'll want to call ahead anyway and have the first word. :D

milleniumcab
May 23rd, 2006, 10:55 PM
I have feeling your pal was scammed and not by a yellow cab.
There are often people who claim to be legitimate cab drivers and give people rides into manhattan at outragous prices. These hustlers pray on naive people. Yellow cab is $45 into Manhattan for up to 4 people....Do not accept rides from anyone, go straight to yellow cab stand...:)

Is this now the case?

milleniumcab
May 23rd, 2006, 11:07 PM
If you accept a ride from a stranger, you are looking for trouble. Nobody should get into any cab but a yellow cab at the airports, unless you have made an arrangment to be picked up .. If you only heard the stories I hear from poeple about their expriences with non yellow taxis at airports and even from Manhattan to airports...They are illegal, they are breaking the law and why anyone would reccomend them is beyond me.....:confused:
Don't forget about hundreds of car services that you can find in your yellow pages. You can call a car service located near the airport in Queens and I bet they will give you an even better rate. Not to mention that many of those guys hang out at the terminal offering their services to the people...

milleniumcab
May 23rd, 2006, 11:16 PM
NYC cab drivers have been asking for a gas surcharge for some time now... The city have not yet given it to them. I believe they will have to soon if the gas prices keep going up.. But I can assure you any gas surcharge will not effect the $45 flat rate from JFK...;)

Is this now the case?

Dynamicdezzy
June 5th, 2006, 12:09 AM
I recently had to go to both JFK and Newark and found some notable differences.

(from Manhattan)
JFK-
1. Subway access. You can take the A, J and E train to the airtrain. This makes it a lot more convenient for ppl that don't feel like waiting on the LIRR. It's also cheap. (as opposed to newark....if only the path train were extended)

2. LIRR. Lirr is a lot more comfortable than NJ Transit. Quick 15 minute trip between Penn station and Jamaica.

3. Airtrain. The ride is a bit longer on JFK's airtrain as opposed to Newark's Airtrain but is more comfortable. More spacious and smoother ride.

4. Terminal Access. This is the only thing i found inferior to Newark. Once you hop off the airtrain, theres no direct connection to the terminal.

Newark-
1. Subway access. No path train. I hope you don't have a weekend trip. You might have to wait 30 minutes for a NJ transit train.

2. NJ Transit. I think the LIRR is better. about 15 minute ride between newark liberty and Penn.

3. Airtrain. I thought the monorail was kind of crappy in comparison to JFK airtrain. But considering the distance, it serves it's purpose.

4. Terminal Access. I found this to be better in newark than jfk. You come out of the airtrain and you walk right in.

(considering i've been to la guardia many times i'll give my two cents on that too!)

La Guardia-
1. Subway access. No subway access. You have bus service that may take you to Roosevelt ave (74th street) with connections to the E,F,R,V and 7 trains.

2. No commuter rail.

3. No airtrain.

4. Terminal access. This becomes annoying when traveling between terminals. Better have your walking shoes on.

Strattonport
June 11th, 2006, 11:25 AM
After helping in picking up my brother and his girlfriend at LaGuardia today, I've just realized how bad LaGuardia really is. No direct rail connections, poor access between terminals, bumpy roads, the list goes on! I only wish the city would demolish the complex and build a modern facility.

ablarc
June 11th, 2006, 12:05 PM
Worst thing about LGA is poor access. Thank the NIMBYs for that.

milleniumcab
June 11th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Demolish Laguardia?.. Fine but what do you do with the 300 plus flights, everyday, until the new one built...

BPC
June 12th, 2006, 01:01 AM
LaGuadia is easily the best of the three.

ryan
June 12th, 2006, 01:34 AM
ditto BPC. Laguardia is so easy and fast - though a subway connection would obviously help.

BPC
June 12th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Yes it would. Both the 7 and the N/W run so damn close to the airport, I never understood why one or the other (or, God forbid, both), could not be linked to it. What exactly is the big deal?

ablarc
June 12th, 2006, 12:48 PM
What exactly is the big deal?
NIMBYs.

antinimby
June 12th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Yes, correct.
At one time, the city wanted to run subway extensions over to LAG but NIMBYs fought it and so the idea was scratched.

antinimby
June 12th, 2006, 04:47 PM
Demolish Laguardia?.. Fine but what do you do with the 300 plus flights, everyday, until the new one built...Geez. That's not how it works. They do it piece by piece, one by one...just like other forms of reconstruction such as roadwork or bridge repair.

BPC
June 12th, 2006, 07:59 PM
There's already been considerable new construction at the airport, at least in the 15 years I've been using it. While the terminals are much nicer from the inside, at least the main new terminal blocks those lovely old brick hangers that you can still see along the western part of the airport. As I recall, they used to run the distance of the airport.

milleniumcab
June 12th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Geez. That's not how it works. They do it piece by piece, one by one...just like other forms of reconstruction such as roadwork or bridge repair.

GEEEEEZZZZZZ... I was just commenting on "demolish idea" by strattonport...

milleniumcab
June 12th, 2006, 09:18 PM
It will happen soon, both JFK and LaGuardia is going to have rail-link in the near future.. But I think JFK will come sooner...JFK Air Train runs on Mono-rail. The existing rail tunnels under the East River is strictly for the Subway.. They do not have the room to add the mono-rail into them.. What the city will have to do is dig a new tunnel just for the mono-rail. When that is finished, JFK will be rail connected to the city, Downtown to be exact. I have heard by 2015, but I think 2020 is more likely..

That's bad news for me but hey, most likely I'll be retired by then..:D

antinimby
June 12th, 2006, 09:53 PM
From your mouth to God's ears.

STT757
June 12th, 2006, 10:52 PM
It will happen soon, both JFK and LaGuardia is going to have rail-link in the near future.. But I think JFK will come sooner...JFK Air Train runs on Mono-rail. The existing rail tunnels under the East River is strictly for the Subway.. They do not have the room to add the mono-rail into them.. What the city will have to do is dig a new tunnel just for the mono-rail. When that is finished, JFK will be rail connected to the city, Downtown to be exact. I have heard by 2015, but I think 2020 is more likely..

I hate to say this but everything you said is wrong.

1.) The JFK Airtrain is not a monorail, it's a light rail using linear induction motor. It operates on a standard track, and while technically it could operate over heavy rail with the LIRR it does not meet FRA rules for crash worthiness.

Thus they originally wanted to build a hybird Airtrain vehicle that could operate over both the Airtrain and LIRR right of way, however they abandoned that idea. Here's a article refering to the then plan to use Hybrid Airtrain vehicles to access NY Penn via the LIRR's ROW.

http://www.nylovesbiz.com/Press/2000/oneseat2.htm

2.) The new plan is to build a brand new Tunnel under the East River from Lower Manahattan to Downtown Brooklyn where it would link with the LIRR's Atlantic Ave branch, the LIRR would no longer serve the Atlantic Avenue Branch, instead the Airtrain would run Lower Manhattan-Downtown Brooklyn-Atlantic Ave-Jamaica-JFK.

LIRR passengers heading downtown would have to transfer from the LIRR to Airtrain at Jamaica, JFK passengers heading for Mid-Town would also transfer at Jamaica from Airtrain to the LIRR to Penn Station.

The Newark Airport Airtrain is a Monorail, perhaps you were thinking of that system. The Newark Airport Monorail is different than the JFK Airtrain in that the Newark system is more of a people mover, the Newark Airtrain unlike the JFK Airtrain goes right inside all the Terminals at EWR. It then crosses Route 1&9 to the Newark Airport Rail Link Station where passengers transfer to NJ Transit or Amtrak, eventually the PATH train will be extended the 1.5 miles from it's current terminus at South Street in Downtown Newark to the Newark Airport Rail link station. This would connect the World Trade Center PATH hub being designed by Santiago Cavalatrava directly with Newark Airport.

As for Laguardia rail access, forget it. There was a chance during the Giulianni Administration however new priorities and too few funds means that the LGA rail link is at the bottom of a long "to do" list for the MTA/Port Authority.

milleniumcab
June 12th, 2006, 11:20 PM
It seems that the information I provided was wrong in it's technicality , not in it's totality.. thanks for the clarification..

antinimby
June 13th, 2006, 02:06 AM
^ You call that information?

milleniumcab
June 14th, 2006, 12:45 AM
I said that JFK will be rail linked to Downtown, NYC. How is that different from what STT757 said. He clarified some of the technical details and about the Air Train... For him to say that everything I said is wrong, was wrong...I did say that the existing tunnels could not support the Air Train, another one had to be built.. I was wrong on the type of rail that it used...UUppps, sorry..

The fact remains that, JFK will be rail linked to Financial District in the near future, whether it runs on a monorail or a light rail.. I also think the LaGuardia link is in the works too, though that will probably take a little longer..

inesdedawn
June 14th, 2006, 06:06 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm flying to JFK airport from Hongkong. It is my first time to go to new york and I'm going alone. ::nervous:: I plan to take greyhound to Cleveland, Ohio. Would someone here give me some suggestion?

from what I read, it seems that the safest way to go from the airport to anywhere is by taking a cab.
if I want to save some money, what do you say if I take the New York Airport Service Express Bus (http://www.nyairportservice.com/jfk_manhattan.html) to New York Port Authority? Or should I take NYC subway?

People told me that there is a greyhound terminal at New York Port Authority, but I'm not sure which greyhound bus stop (http://www.greyhound.com/scripts/en/TicketCenter/locations.asp?state=ny) it is. :confused:

Please help. Many thanks.

ablarc
June 14th, 2006, 07:12 AM
if I want to save some money, what do you say if I take the New York Airport Service Express Bus to New York Port Authority? Or should I take NYC subway?

People told me that there is a greyhound terminal at New York Port Authority, but I'm not sure which greyhound bus stop it is. :confused:
Take the bus. Service is good, cheap, fast, and it goes exactly where you want to go. Once inside the Port Authority Bus Terminal (which is like a train station), you can find your bus by inquiring at the ticket window.

Not to worry; just don't leave your luggage unattended.

If I were you, however, I'd set aside a few days to see New York, instead of rushing in and out.

lofter1
June 14th, 2006, 09:06 AM
the New York Airport Service Express Bus (http://www.nyairportservice.com/jfk_manhattan.html) to New York Port Authority?

...a greyhound terminal at New York Port Authority, but I'm not sure which greyhound bus stop (http://www.greyhound.com/scripts/en/TicketCenter/locations.asp?state=ny) it is.

It's this one: http://www.greyhound.com/scripts/en/TicketCenter/terminal.asp?city=151239

Port Authority Terminal is very large and confusing, but don't let that scare you...

It is one large building but split into two parts -- North and South. The Greyhound ticket area is in the South section.

Ask people -- they will direct you. (However, the ticket sellers don't always have the best information :confused: )

You might be wise to purchase your bus ticket to Cleveland when you arrive at the Terminal from the airport (this will save you some time / hassle upon departure).

When arriving for your bus to Cleveland give yourself at least 1/2 hour more time than you might think you'll need to get yourself to the correct gate.

capoeta cypher
June 14th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Since the issue of transportation from the airports frequently comes up, I think we need a sticky thread for this. For now, just a picture.

LaGuardia airport - the view from the new observation deck in Rockefeller Center. 29 October 2005.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/guide/airports/lga_ge.jpg (http://www.wirednewyork.com/guide/airports/)

That, my friend is East Elmhurst. Not Rockafeller Center.

cokie
June 14th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Hello,
I'm going to New york for 4days and I'm planning my trip now what I wanne see. I arrive at 9am at La guardia. I have to take the bus Q33 and then from Jackson Roosveldt Ave the train F to Manhattan. How long would it take to get from the airport to Manhattan? I have to get off at 42street.

I want to know that so I know which time I can start my adventire ;)

grt
bjorn

pianoman11686
June 14th, 2006, 01:39 PM

That's a joke, right?

milleniumcab
June 14th, 2006, 10:21 PM
Hello,
I have to take the bus Q33 and then from Jackson Roosveldt Ave the train F to Manhattan. How long would it take to get from the airport to Manhattan?

Ooooooo, about an hour if you don't get to wait too long for the bus.

milleniumcab
June 14th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Edward said " THE VIEW" from the Top of The Rock at Rockefeller Plaza.. Maybe you missed that.:D

inesdedawn
June 15th, 2006, 02:23 AM
ahh..:p..right. it actually says it's Port Authority in the address. I missed that one. thank you.

You might be wise to purchase your bus ticket to Cleveland when you arrive at the Terminal from the airport (this will save you some time / hassle upon departure).

When arriving for your bus to Cleveland give yourself at least 1/2 hour more time than you might think you'll need to get yourself to the correct gate.

...so I don't really need to buy the ticket online before in advance, do I? I mean, the tickets won't be sold out or something?

inesdedawn
June 15th, 2006, 02:30 AM
If I were you, however, I'd set aside a few days to see New York, instead of rushing in and out.

actually, I will go back to new york some days later. I'm just going to ohio to meet my friends first. we will visit new york together on the long weekend around the national day.

lofter1
June 15th, 2006, 09:57 AM
...so I don't really need to buy the ticket online before in advance, do I? I mean, the tickets won't be sold out or something?

As far as I know they do not sell "reserved" seats -- but you might want to double-check that.

Seating on busses in the US seem to be "first come / first served" -- another reason to arrive for your departure a bit in advance. They probably don't allow standing, anyway :eek: try to imagine that trip from NYC to Ohio !!!!

bksmith
June 16th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Have an upcoming trip planned into LGA, arriving at 8:19pm. Need to depart JFK at 1:00 am. I understand there is a New York Airport Service Express Bus; however the last run is at 8:00 pm, per that website. The Port Authority website wants to direct me to AirTrain, but that site states no service between the 2 airports. Does anyone have suggestions for reasonable and safe alternatives? I appreciate your thoughts.

milleniumcab
June 16th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Does anyone have suggestions for reasonable and safe alternatives? I appreciate your thoughts.

If there is no bus service between the 2 airports at that time, the only reasonable and safe alternative would be a yellow cab. It will cost about $25.

windgather
June 20th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Hello all. First posting on here.

I am coming into JFK Sunday 9th July from the uk for a 5 night stay. On average, how long does it take to clear immigration and reach Manhattan by taxi? There is a rather important soccer game later that day you understand. ;)

Thanks for any replies.

lofter1
June 20th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Count on two hours ...

ManhattanKnight
June 20th, 2006, 08:04 AM

I am coming into JFK Sunday 9th July from the uk for a 5 night stay. On average, how long does it take to clear immigration and reach Manhattan by taxi? There is a rather important soccer game later that day you understand. ;)

Thanks for any replies.

For planning purposes, allow at least 3 hours. The major variable is Customs, and the time spent there depends on which airline and terminal are involved, passenger congestion, and the whims of the inspectors. With luck, the actual time could be 2-2.5 hours.

misterbarlow
June 21st, 2006, 08:56 PM

Thanks for any replies.

Hi mate. (first post also so hi everyone)
I flew into JFK last thurs on my first visit to both the US and NY and had been using this site the past few weeks for some info.
We were in a queue for about 80mins at customs before picking our bags and making our way out and it only seemed to be our flight that was in at that time...

N9ne
August 7th, 2006, 10:41 AM
How much would a taxi cost from LGA to Times Square? How much is the toll on Brooklyn Bridge? Is it cheaper to use another bridge (if I request the taxi driver to do so)?

Schadenfrau
August 7th, 2006, 10:53 AM
You won't be going anywhere near the Brooklyn Bridge if you're going from Laguardia to Times Square. The trip will cost you about $25.

N9ne
August 7th, 2006, 11:04 AM
You won't be going anywhere near the Brooklyn Bridge if you're going from Laguardia to Times Square. The trip will cost you about $25.

Just $25? Excellent. I had factored in $35-45 for airport journeys. Coming from UK, I'm relatively unphased by taxi and transportation prices within even NYC.

milleniumcab
August 7th, 2006, 10:42 PM
For that trip, $25 is more or less correct in a yellow taxi. I would say between $25 and $30 and that would not include any tolls or the tip. The toll you must pay and the tip is customary but optional..

For your protection, take only a yellow cab and have a safe journey..:)

intfvdh
September 4th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Hi,

I plan a new york trip end oktober - begin november and will arive in JFK (best connecton from belgium and cheapest) and intend to have my hotel in Secaucus/meadowlands (across the river) : because of the lower rates. The hotel (Hamilton) is nicely situated in a shopping area (2 cinemas, lots of shops, diners ....).

What's the best way to get from jfk to secaucus ?
1) taxi ? but I read somewhere that no jfk taxi will bring me to secaucus ???
2) airport express but to .port authority (15$, max. 1,5 hours) - direct and then transfer but in front of hotel (from port authority) : 2,5 $ and 20 minutes
3) ????

many thanks,

Frank

BPC
September 4th, 2006, 11:52 AM
cheap option: bus from to Port Authority and then bus from PA to Secaucus

fast option: non-yellow/unofficial taxi from tout (you will have to negotiate a fare -- probably $75 or more)

asg
September 4th, 2006, 12:40 PM
and intend to have my hotel in Secaucus/meadowlands (across the river) : because of the lower rates.

Do not stay in Secaucus - You may save money but you will not enjoy your visit to NYC if you stay there.

lofter1
September 4th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Although it might not be the optimal way to visit NYC, if you're merely sleeping in Secaucus and traveling back and forth to NYC (a short bus ride -- but check the schedules carefully so you don't end up waiting at a bus stop) then it shouldn't be a problem -- especially if you're saving lots of money on lodging.

Do be aware that while your hotel might be "nicely situated" and in the vicinity of diners, cinemas, etc.: the distances there can be deceptive when looking at a map -- and a walk to those locales from your hotel might be longer than you expect.

lofter1
September 4th, 2006, 01:10 PM
I plan a new york trip end oktober - begin november ... The hotel (Hamilton) is nicely situated

Is it the "Hamilton" in Secaucus -- or the HAMPTON ???

intfvdh
September 4th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Is it the "Hamilton" in Secaucus -- or the HAMPTON ???

It's the hamton Inn (http://hamptoninn.hilton.com/en/hp/hotels/accommodations.jhtml?ctyhocn=SCMNJHX), according to a map I found on the internet it should be in the middle of a shopping-leisure complex (http://www.harmonmeadow.com/pdf/HMMapCloseUp_BW.LR.pdf)

Do you know this area/hotel ?

Frank

intfvdh
September 4th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Do not stay in Secaucus - You may save money but you will not enjoy your visit to NYC if you stay there.

I found one affordable alternative (Queen bed, smaller room, no fridge, microware, comfort inn, Long Island City, http://www.bookings.nl/hotel/us/comfort-inn-lic.en.html?aid=301589;label=overige%7Cusa_new_yor k%7Chotel-new-york%7C41804;sid=b58f97d77c104af126acbf3854ca6cd3; checkin=2006-10-28;checkout=2006-11-04). 125 dollar/night for 8 nights (excluding taxes). Do you know this hotel or alternatives in the city.

Frank (single traveller)

ps : the link I added points to the website of a bookings.nl, the queen bed (2 persons) is not available anymore but I was able to reserve it a few days ago. :)

BPC
September 4th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Comfort Inn is a nationl chain of decent, generally clean, but not fancy, motels. The fact that it is a chain means that there will be some minimal hygiene standards not necessarily found in your independent operator. It will be a little more downscale than your Hmapton Inn, but not much. As for Long Island City, the commute to Manhattan will be MUCH faster and more convenient than the bus from Secaucus, but the neighborhood is a little dicy, or at least used to be. Gentrification may have hit it now, but that used to be where the mob dumped its bodies.

ablarc
September 4th, 2006, 06:09 PM
As for Long Island City... the neighborhood is a little dicy, or at least used to be. Gentrification may have hit it now, but that used to be where the mob dumped its bodies.
Also it helps to like graffiti in Long Island City. I mean really like graffiti.

milleniumcab
September 4th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Whoever told you that a JFK Yellow Taxi will not take you to Secaucus, NJ is misinformed. They will take you to any destination, the only difference is that some out of the city destinations, like Secaucus, will not be on the meter. The fare will have to be agreed upon between you and the driver and the drivers have a flat rate book that will guide them to give you the proper rate..It is open to negotiation.;)

For your protection, I urge you to be carefull and not get hussled into a towncar that will most likely rip you off and provide a service that is not fully insured incase of any accident...Go to Yellow Taxi Stand and ask for a Yellow Taxi..

I also agree to some others who advised you to not stay in NJ if you are coming to enjoy New York City. You can search for a hotel in Queens which is much closer to the city. They are more reasonable in price..

I hope you enjoy your trip and stay..

milleniumcab
September 4th, 2006, 09:13 PM
The Comfort Inn in LIC Queens is on Greenpoint Avenue, very close to the LIE. It is an OK area with no major concerns..It has easy access to the city, close to subway and taxi routes.. I would go for it..:)

intfvdh
September 5th, 2006, 05:28 AM
[quote=milleniumcab;118180]Whoever told you that a JFK Yellow Taxi will not take you to Secaucus, NJ is misinformed. They will take you to any destination, the only difference is that some out of the city destinations, like Secaucus, will not be on the meter.

I got this from a forum on Tripadvisor. thanks for the feedback.

intfvdh
September 5th, 2006, 05:30 AM
I also agree to some others who advised you to not stay in NJ if you are coming to enjoy New York City. You can search for a hotel in Queens which is much closer to the city. They are more reasonable in price..

I hope you enjoy your trip and stay..

Why would it give me more enjoyment to stay in NCY in Queens ?
- time distance ?
- security ?
- nyc feeling ?

Frank

milleniumcab
September 5th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Why would it give me more enjoyment to stay in NCY in Queens ?
- time distance ?
- security ?
- nyc feeling ?

Frank

All of the above....

milleniumcab
September 5th, 2006, 11:20 PM
I got this from a forum on Tripadvisor. thanks for the feedback.

Be careful where you get your info...Not all forums are like WNY...;)

BPC
September 6th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Whoever told you that a JFK Yellow Taxi will not take you to Secaucus, NJ is misinformed. They will take you to any destination, the only difference is that some out of the city destinations, like Secaucus, will not be on the meter. The fare will have to be agreed upon between you and the driver and the drivers have a flat rate book that will guide them to give you the proper rate..It is open to negotiation.;)

That's not exactly correct. For NJ destinations, the Yellow Cab has the right to say "no" -- and that, after you've waited 1/2 hour in the taxi queue.

milleniumcab
September 6th, 2006, 09:05 AM
That's not exactly correct. For NJ destinations, the Yellow Cab has the right to say "no" -- and that, after you've waited 1/2 hour in the taxi queue.

You are right BPC... Destinations in NJ, other than Newark Airport, can be refused by the driver.. This allows the driver to end his/her shift in a timely manner...That would be only reason a driver might say "no"...But even if one does, there is another lined up behind him...;)

JCMAN320
September 6th, 2006, 10:04 AM
They are always making runs between Jersey City, Hoboken, and Weehawken. I can't tell you how many I see zipping through Jersey City on a daily basis milling around with our own taxis and just in Downtown I mean the city as a whole; The Heights, JSQ, Lafayette, West Bergen, Marion, etc..

Also it is much easier to stay in NJ and when I say that I mean Jersey City and also Hoboken. We have 4 hotels currently; The Hyatt, The Courtyard Marriot, The Candlewood Inn, The Double Tree Suites. We have one under construction: The Westin at Newport and we have one soon to be constructed in Liberty Harbor North in Historic Downtown Jersey City which will most likely be a Hilton that will rise 22 stories. Futhermore there are rumors of a boutique hotel being planned for our Powerhouse Art District. So in just a few years we will have 6, possibly 7, in Downtown JC alone. Also W Hotel-Hoboken is being constructed with in walking distance to the Hoboken Terminal. With the PATH, light-rail, and ferry service to the city, it is much easier and possibly cheaper to stay in Jersey City or Hoboken. Sorry had to make our side heard, I believe in equal opportunity. :) Just good fun guys.

pianoman11686
September 6th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Sorry had to make our side heard, I believe in equal opportunity. :) Just good fun guys.

Of course you were. http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/images/icons/icon12.gif

Personally, I've tried this method of staying in a hotel adjacent to a city a few times, and I've always ended up preferring a hotel in the city center. Especially in a place like Manhattan, it's invaluable to be able to step out of your hotel and walk to most, if not all, of your sightseeing destinations. Unless, of course, you don't want to be bankrupt by the time you go back home. :D

intfvdh
September 6th, 2006, 03:38 PM
For the moment I still prefer to stay in Secaucus in the Hamilton because
plus :
- in the middle of a shopping complex (lots of diners and 2 cinemas with 10+ screens in total)
- bus runs every 10 minutes to port authority (17 minutes)
- bigger room, fridge, microware
min :
- bus runs 40 minutes (I try to avoid them, I don't intented to be on my way before 9 am and will go back long after 6 pm)
- need to take the express bus to port authority from jfk (1,30 min) and then to hotel (17 minutes)
- not in nyc

Frank

milleniumcab
September 6th, 2006, 10:34 PM
For the moment I still prefer to stay in Secaucus in the Hamilton because
plus :
- in the middle of a shopping complex (lots of diners and 2 cinemas with 10+ screens in total)
- bus runs every 10 minutes to port authority (17 minutes)
- bigger room, fridge, microware
min :
- bus runs 40 minutes (I try to avoid them, I don't intented to be on my way before 9 am and will go back long after 6 pm)
- need to take the express bus to port authority from jfk (1,30 min) and then to hotel (17 minutes)
- not in nyc

Frank

Hey Frank, are you coming here to have Diner Food, see a newly released movie in a cinema and shop in a shopping mall :eek: , or are you coming here to see a Broadway Show, have your pick from many different cuisines of the world and shop NY style in So Ho, Herald Square, Canal Street, etc?.. :confused: ...

But in the end, how much you enjoy your trip is all up to you...

intfvdh
September 7th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Hey Frank, are you coming here to have Diner Food, see a newly released movie in a cinema and shop in a shopping mall :eek: , or are you coming here to see a Broadway Show, have your pick from many different cuisines of the world and shop NY style in So Ho, Herald Square, Canal Street, etc?.. :confused: ...

But in the end, how much you enjoy your trip is all up to you...

Well both. But New York is my main focus. The problem is the cost of the hotels. I've been looking around a lot and found the Hamilton in Secaucus a good choice. An alternative might be Comfort Inn, Long Island City. I'm a solo traveller and don't want to spend more than 150 dollars on accomodation a night (tax included). And that's already a lot of money. Though I'm interested in find something in New York (Manhatten). Any ideas ?

Frank:)

BPC
September 7th, 2006, 04:51 PM
FOr $150 a night (including tax), you should be able to find a decent room in Manhattan and take the subways wherever you need to go. Try www.expedia.com and www.travelocity.com. Both will let you search by price, location and quality.

milleniumcab
September 8th, 2006, 12:31 AM
Well both. But New York is my main focus. The problem is the cost of the hotels. I've been looking around a lot and found the Hamilton in Secaucus a good choice. An alternative might be Comfort Inn, Long Island City. I'm a solo traveller and don't want to spend more than 150 dollars on accomodation a night (tax included). And that's already a lot of money. Though I'm interested in find something in New York (Manhatten). Any ideas ?

Frank:)

I agree with BPC, 150 a night should be enough to get a good hotel room in Manhattan. The savings can be great if you are willing to share your room, HOSTELS are very cheap at 30-40 dollars a night..

I have also noticed a few hotels in Lower East Side.. One is on Rivington, looks like a decent place..Try googling "Rivington Hotel" , and see what pops up..

milleniumcab
September 8th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Wow , I just googled it, never mind.. Apperantly it is a new building and quite expensive...:eek:

ManhattanKnight
September 8th, 2006, 01:14 AM
I also agree with BPC and MC. In addition to earlier suggestions, if you've not already looked it over, visit WNY's "Hotels" section (http://www.wirednewyork.com/hotels/) for a pretty extensive list of places and some links. Also, although few visitors can take advantage of them, there are good and affordable rooms available at a handful of university clubs in Manhattan (these are mainly the Ivies -- for example, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and perhaps Columbia) that alumni members can book for their out-of-town guests.

intfvdh
September 8th, 2006, 09:22 AM
I there are good and affordable rooms available at a handful of university clubs in Manhattan (these are mainly the Ivies -- for example, Harvard, Princeton, Yale, and perhaps Columbia) that alumni members can book for their out-of-town guests.

But have to be an alumni of that university ? No ?

Frank :confused:

ManhattanKnight
September 8th, 2006, 12:04 PM
But have to be an alumni of that university ? No ?

Frank :confused:

Yes, or a guest or family member of one or, sometimes, a member of an affiliated out-of-town club. Sadly, since I posted about the clubs, I took a fresh look at some of their room rates and see that they've now crept north of your price target. For example, The Yale Club (http://www.yaleclubnyc.org/index.htm) (look under "Guestrooms") and The Harvard Club (http://www.hcny.com/) ("Facilities/Overnight Rooms"). Still, for those who can arrange it, staying at one of these definitely beats checking into a chain hotel in a Jersey swamp . . .

There are some university clubs that lack their own clubhouses but have arrangements with other clubs, not all of which are university-related. For example, The Smith Club/Chemists Club (http://www.smithclubnyc.org/chembenefits.cfm) (and this one still has cheap rates).

lone star
September 26th, 2006, 07:36 PM
hi there myself and my partner are flying to new york for the first time in early november from ireland.we are flying into newark airport.we ar staying on tonelle avenue north bergen new jersey.i supose a yellow cab is the answer from getting from newark airport to our destination.any idea roughly on how much a yellow cab would be from the airport to our destination.

any info would be greatful

thanks a million willie:)

BPC
September 26th, 2006, 10:59 PM
$50-60.

lone star
September 27th, 2006, 07:31 PM
was just wondering is a taxi the only way or have you a choice from a bus or rail to tonnelle avenue north bergen??

thanks willie.

NYatKNIGHT
September 28th, 2006, 09:45 AM
You can take the train from Newark Airport to Hoboken (changing trains in Secaucus), then take the light rail in Hoboken to the North Bergen station at Tonnelle Avenue. It will take longer than a cab, be a hassle with luggage, but it will be cheaper.

https://www.njtransit.com/

antinimby
September 28th, 2006, 09:25 PM
$50-60.Are you sure?
'Cause it sounds a bit high.

milleniumcab
September 28th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I would love to help but I have no idea.. I am a NYC cabbie..:rolleyes:

BPC
September 29th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Are you sure?
'Cause it sounds a bit high.

It's only a guestimate, a triangulation based on fares for cab rides I have taken from Newark to Downtown Manhattan, from Newark to Hoboken, and from Hoboken to Bergen County. Still, I don't think it's too high.

FrankHegly
September 29th, 2006, 06:02 AM
if you are going to hostel it try STA travel...they are cheap (its primarily a student agency but anyone can use them)

statravel.com, co.uk etc............... depending on where you live

ablarc
September 29th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Still, I don't think it's too high...
...especially if you're not chintzy when you tip.

BPC
September 29th, 2006, 10:52 AM
a point with which I am sure that "MilleniumCab" would agree.

milleniumcab
September 30th, 2006, 12:13 AM
a point with which I am sure that "MilleniumCab" would agree.

Absolutely!.....:D :D :D

milleniumcab
September 30th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Tipping is a form of art... Not everybody have mastered it like ablarc...:D

ilan14
October 7th, 2006, 10:59 AM
Hello,

I'm picking up my family at the Newark airport ( this Friday) and we will take a taxi to the bronx (riverdale).
Is there a flat rate for that? and if not - what is the approximate charge for that ride (including tolls)?

Thanks,

Ilan

Schadenfrau
October 8th, 2006, 11:21 AM
There's no flat rate if you take a taxi from New Jersey. You would probably do better to take a car service.

If you phone some of the numbers listed on this thread, they'll be able to give you a rate. Keep in mind that the numbers will be cheaper if you're willing to take a group shuttle, which is a shared van that will drive you from door-to-door.

ablarc
October 8th, 2006, 11:25 AM
^ Does the van charge by the passenger? How big is the family to be picked up?

Schadenfrau
October 8th, 2006, 12:04 PM
In my experience, they do charge by passenger, but it's sometimes a reduced rate for multiple passengers at the same address.

The fee seems to be about $40/per person, but I would call ahead of time:

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/egtsmain.HTM

ablarc
October 8th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Rent a car for the day?

milleniumcab
October 8th, 2006, 08:18 PM
In my experience, they do charge by passenger, but it's sometimes a reduced rate for multiple passengers at the same address.

The fee seems to be about $40/per person, but I would call ahead of time:

http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/egtsmain.HTM

$40 per passenger is a lot of money...Better of with a taxi.. Some of the Newark Yellow cabs charge flat rate into NYC.. If I was you, I would try to negotiate with them.. I think you are better of with a taxi unless you are willing to take airtrain-path train combo to Penn Station and a NYC Yellow taxi to Bronx..NYC Yellow from Penn Station to Riverdale will cost you $30-$35...But this option is not a good one if you have a lot of luggage...

I say take Jersey Yellow, negotiate a flat rate.. My NYC Yellow experience tell me it should be about $80, a little less or a little more..Good Luck..

milleniumcab
October 8th, 2006, 08:25 PM
There's no flat rate if you take a taxi from New Jersey.

NYC Yellow Cabs go flat rate to NJ, except to Newark Airport.. I would imagine it is the same for NJ Yellow Cabs going to NYC..They should have a flat rate..

ciara
October 12th, 2006, 08:28 AM
How far is the Comfort inn LIC from JFK would it be expensive to get a cab?
Also Does the Subway facing the Comfort in bring u rith into Manhattan?

cheers

Ciara:)

daver
October 12th, 2006, 10:28 AM

cheers

Q: How much does it cost to travel from La Guardia Airport to the Comfort Inn? From JFK Airport? What about Newark Airport?
A: The Comfort Inn Long Island City provides low cost "shuttle service" to and from La Guardia and JFK Airports through a contract with a private car service which is available 24 hours a day. The skilled, courteous drivers will pick you up in a Lincoln Town Car and deliver you directly to the hotel. The cost for JFK Airport is $30 per car each way. Each car can carry up to 4 adults. The cost of the ride is billed to your room account so you only need to tip your driver.
Public transportation is also an option for any airport. The "AirTrain" (http://mta.info/mta/airtrain.htm) and the NYC subway (http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm) system can get you from JFK Airport to the Queensborough Plaza subway station which is only 1 block from the hotel.

Q: How far is the hotel from the subway?
A: The nearest station, Queensborough Plaza, is one block away. You can get the "N", "W" and "#7" trains at this station. In addition, the Queens Plaza station is 3 blocks away. There you can get the "E", "G", "R", and "V" trains. All run 24 hours and all will take you into Manhattan or to various parts of Queens and Brooklyn.

https://secure.mawebcenters.com/websites/comfortinnny/faq.html

I would say that any of those trains (NW7) would get you to midtown is under 15 minutes.

milleniumcab
October 12th, 2006, 11:25 PM

cheers

Yellow Cab will cost you $30-$35, from JFK to Comfort Inn LIC..Most seats 4 but you can request a minivan type if you have 5 in your party...Credit Card payment is also possible upon request with or without a minivan...

The subway near the hotel will take you into Manhattan at a cost of $2.00 per person. You can also purchase daily metro cards with unlimited use for that day, at a cost of $7.00 .. Also every pay-per-ride $10 metro card (regular) will have a free ride in it.. Subway is good on weekdays but I would stay away on the weekends as they don't run as frequently and the Subway Map is mostly useless on the weekends because most of the Subway is re-routed due to repairs to the system..

It is also very easy to get a cab into Manhattan from your hotel, just cross the street to the Manhattan bound traffic side, towards the Queens Boro Bridge( toll free)..A cab ride to Midtown Manhattan will cost about $10 and to Downtown- Financial District about $20...

Enjoy your stay and stay away from illegal transportation options, like black cars and pedi-cabs, for your personal safety and your pocket's well being...If you need a cab, be smart and take a Yellow...

nick-taylor
October 13th, 2006, 03:48 AM
It really does nag me that New York is probably the only major top tier world city without an actual airport terminal - city centre/downtown express service. Major long-term planning error there, but what is the current status of such developments or is that pie-in-the-sky?

ablarc
October 13th, 2006, 07:57 AM
...Comfort inn...
not universally approved: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g48080-d281640-r5513084-Comfort_Inn_Long_Island_City-Long_Island_City_New_York.html

Schadenfrau
October 13th, 2006, 09:33 AM
She asked for transportation advice, not what you thought of her hotel, Ablarc.

ablarc
October 13th, 2006, 11:13 AM
She asked for transportation advice, not what you thought of her hotel, Ablarc.
We aim to exceed our mandate. :)

I've never stayed at this hotel, but it has a few unhappy customers. Such things are good to know.

Schadenfrau
October 13th, 2006, 11:22 AM
If you're on a mission to save WNY's readers from bad hotels, start your own list. What about the Carlyle? It gets the same TripAdvisor.com rating as the Comfort Inn LIC, despite the fact that it's a 5-star hotel:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d93419-Reviews-The_Carlyle-New_York_City_New_York.html

Lance
October 13th, 2006, 12:29 PM
Are you arguing that the ratings are flawed, Shadenfrau?

Schadenfrau
October 13th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Probably not so much flawed as skewed, much like the Zagat ratings. People base their opinions on the level of quality they've seen in the past, myopic as their experiences might be.

In any case, people have a right to stay in hotels outside of Manhattan, whatever their reasoning might be. And, yes, every subway (minus the G) in Long Island City runs directly into midtown Manhattan.

milleniumcab
October 14th, 2006, 02:31 AM
not universally approved: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g48080-d281640-r5513084-Comfort_Inn_Long_Island_City-Long_Island_City_New_York.html

I just read all the reviews, 2 negative and 7 positive.. That's not bad at all..

Lance
October 14th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Agreed, those reviews aren't bad enough to keep me from staying there if I was looking.

I think people rate a hotel based upon expectations and actual value for the price paid. If I was paying $150 / night for a hotel in Manhattan and it was clean, well attended, with reasonable amenities, and in a decently nice area I'd rate it very high because of the value you'd receive for that price. Conversely, if I was paying $600 / night I'd expect much more from the hotel and I'd be more critical of it in the reviews.

Schadenfrau
October 14th, 2006, 09:34 AM
You seem like a pretty reasonable person, though. I think a lot of people come to NYC for the first time and expect the hotels to be like standardized chains in other areas of the country. Things tend to be a lot smaller and shabbier here, in my experience. You should see the small-town jaws drop upon entering the Chelsea Hotel, and it's not because they're impressed with the history.

Capn_Birdseye
October 26th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I know its a bit off the main drag but I've stayed twice at the Skyline hotel on 10av W45 (I believe that was the address), and it had great rooms.

The Roosevelt, impressive foyer and bar, good atmosphere but rooms small and a bit shabby. OK though.

corey
December 8th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Hello. I will be visiting NYC for my second time this coming January to visit a friend. I've got everything set up except transportation to/from the airport. Last time I flew into Newark and took SuperShuttle, but my friend is now living in Brooklyn instead of Manhattan. SuperShuttle was OK because it was cheap, but it was a very long ride and somewhat uncomfortable. I'm flying into JFK this time because it's closest to Brooklyn. I'm thinking about getting a cab from the airport to my friend's apartment, but I'm not sure about the way back. I read somewhere that cabs are somewhat scarce in Brooklyn and they charge you extra to come pick you up when you call them. Is this true? If so, I was thinking about taking a car service back to the airport. Could anyone recommend me a good car service in Brooklyn that's relatively cheap? Thanks guys. :)

Dynamicdezzy
December 8th, 2006, 10:30 AM
That isn't true. Cabs aren't scarce in NYC (brooklyn). Cabs are available at any time during the day. And you do not get charged more when you call the base.

corey
December 8th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Alright. My next question then is are car services or cabs cheaper for my particular trip? Also, will it take longer for a cab to show up or a car service to show up in Brooklyn? Thanks.

MrSpice
December 8th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Alright. My next question then is are car services or cabs cheaper for my particular trip? Also, will it take longer for a cab to show up or a car service to show up in Brooklyn? Thanks.

Car services are often of every corner in Brooklyn. New York is a special city. We have 2 types of taxis here. You can hail the Yellow Taxi on the street - mostly in Manhattan. There are also car and lomousine services that are not allowed by law to pick up people on the street - you need to call them to get one. If you open Brooklyn Yellow pages or look at Yahoo Yellow Pages and search for Car Service or Taxi service, you will see dozens of those. They will give you a better rate to JFK than yellow cab. Reserve in advance (1-2 days) and you'll be fine.

You can ask people in the area for recommendations, since not all of those services are truly reliable.

milleniumcab
December 9th, 2006, 05:12 AM
Where in Brooklyn are you visiting?... Do you have an adress?..

corey
December 9th, 2006, 09:01 AM
277 Crescent St. with the cross street being Atlantic Ave., Brooklyn, 11208.

milleniumcab
December 9th, 2006, 06:40 PM
277 Crescent St. with the cross street being Atlantic Ave., Brooklyn, 11208.

Yellow cab from JFK is the best way to Crescent and Atlantic.. It will cost between $15 and $20..Going back, it will be a little tough to catch a yellow since that area is not a regular crusing zone for yellows.. But all yellow cabs going to JFK for pickups will take Atlantic Avenue (east bound) to South Conduit Avenue.. You will be able to catch a yellow cab on Atlantic right before South Conduit Av... It is only a few blocks from where you are staying..Check out the map below...

Otherwise you will have to arrange a pick up with a local taxi service..

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&addtohistory=&address=Atlantic%20Ave%20%26%20Crescent%20St&city=Brooklyn&state=NY&zipcode=11208&country=US&geodiff=1

Enjoy your stay...

Dynamicdezzy
December 11th, 2006, 10:55 AM
heh...that's right around the way. I typically use "Merengue" (Meh-Ren-Geh)car service. They're pretty cheap. Phone # (718) 658-1111.

kidda
January 28th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Hi, We're stopping in Tribeca so is there any tolls to pay. $45 plus tip $55?
Cheers, Shaun

milleniumcab
January 28th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Hi, We're stopping in Tribeca so is there any tolls to pay. $45 plus tip $55?
Cheers, Shaun

I assume you are asking for the fare from JFK to Tribeca. On a normal day, I would personally take Atlantic Avenue to Brooklyn Bridge and avoid the toll. The fare is $45. $55 leaves a $10 tip which is 22%. That's a good tip in my opinion..

kidda
January 29th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Cheers for that. we stopped in Tribeca before and we went over the Williamsburg Bridge. Great views across the water on the way down.

Galagus
January 30th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Hello People!

I have one question, is it posible, when my plane lands at 11.20 on JFK airport, and my next plane will go at 15.00 on la guardia airport, will I make that? Ik have 3 hours en 40min.
And what's the best option, taxi?

Thanks,

Galagus

ManhattanKnight
January 30th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Taxis are your best option. And that would normally enough time to make your flight at LGA if you don't have to go through Customs at JFK. Customs could easily take more than one hour, depending on the time of day and other factors. The taxi ride, again depending on time of day, should require 30-60 minutes.

milleniumcab
January 31st, 2007, 12:08 AM
Hello People!

I have one question, is it posible, when my plane lands at 11.20 on JFK airport, and my next plane will go at 15.00 on la guardia airport, will I make that? Ik have 3 hours en 40min.
And what's the best option, taxi?

Thanks,

Galagus

No problem making your connection.. Taxi will cost you around $25. If you are by yourself you can take a shuttle bus for much less but only if you are by yourself. Because shuttle bus fee is per person and taxi is good for 4 people for the price...Taxi ride is about 30 minutes with reasonable traffic but the shuttle bus will take longer ( you might not be the last one to pick up and the first one to drop off ).. So use your judgment when you come out at JFK...If you are the type of person who likes to play it safe, take a taxi...

Galagus
January 31st, 2007, 01:46 PM
thank you, ManhattanKnight and milleniumcab.
I am with a friend of my, so I will take a taxi.

Thanks again!

Ciao Galagus

antinimby
February 1st, 2007, 01:01 AM
Why can't they just extend the JFK airtrain from the Jamaica Station, where it now terminates, up along the Grand Central Parkway all the way to LaGuardia?

This way LaGuardia will be connected to the transit system as well.

ablarc
February 1st, 2007, 06:29 AM
Why can't they just extend the JFK airtrain ... all the way to LaGuardia?
NIMBYs.

milleniumcab
February 1st, 2007, 10:08 AM
Maybe the demand doesn't justify the cost?????

antinimby
February 1st, 2007, 11:35 PM
It's one of the largest airports in the country in a very congested area within the largest city in the country.

Of course there'll be demand.

Besides demand, it is also the smart thing to do to relieve traffic congestion, which itself is a heavy cost on the economy of the city.

BPC
February 2nd, 2007, 05:14 PM
NIMBYs.

I doubt NIMBYs care what goes in the middle of the GCP.

ablarc
February 2nd, 2007, 05:56 PM
^ http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3095

NiteNurse
March 1st, 2007, 07:33 AM
Hi im hoping you can help find the best way to travel around Newark & New York. My daughter & myself are coming over in November & will be staying in Newark. We will be travelling to & from New York & wanted to know if we can buy weekly tickets for train or bus travel with unlimited travel on them. Any help will be gratefully recieved. Thank you x :) x

LonelyRoad
March 4th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Hi all,

Going to NYC at the end of the month.

I fly into Newark at 10:30pm on a Thursday night. I'm looking to get to Penn Station. I flew out of Newark once and had to take a train to the Newark Airport. Will a train run at that time of night?

FlameOut
March 28th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Coming into LGA on April 17th (about 11 am) and staying at Rockefeller Center. From what I've been reading, looks like the best option (for 2 people) is just to take a cab to the hotel for around $40?

There is so much I've been trying to read up on (sights, dining, etc) that I may have missed another option on transportation

milleniumcab
March 28th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Coming into LGA on April 17th (about 11 am) and staying at Rockefeller Center. From what I've been reading, looks like the best option (for 2 people) is just to take a cab to the hotel for around $40?

There is so much I've been trying to read up on (sights, dining, etc) that I may have missed another option on transportation

Yellow cab will cost $35 to $40, including toll and tip. It is the most logical option (for 2) from LaGuardia. Don't take anything but yellow, otherwise you might get ripped off.....

Lamarider
April 2nd, 2007, 05:30 AM
HI, we're coming to Newark this saturday. My question is, do we need to bring our own car seat for our 2-year old, or is there any taxi company that one can pre-order a cab with a car seat?

Thanks!

milleniumcab
April 2nd, 2007, 08:57 AM
HI, we're coming to Newark this saturday. My question is, do we need to bring our own car seat for our 2-year old, or is there any taxi company that one can pre-order a cab with a car seat?

Thanks!

You need your own car seat for the 2 year old...

Lamarider
April 2nd, 2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks, I kind of guessed that reading up a bit on the subject...

pearl
May 21st, 2007, 12:46 PM
What is the best way to get from La Guardia airport to Beekman Hotel on Mitchell?

milleniumcab
May 21st, 2007, 10:25 PM
What is the best way to get from La Guardia airport to Beekman Hotel on Mitchell?

Yellow Cab... $25-$30 , about 30 minutes...

pearl
May 22nd, 2007, 11:52 AM
thanks so much!!
looking forward to my trip!!

we get in town about 10:30pm on friday!!
what are the good hot spots located in the area?

jazz clubs, cocktail bars, breakfast cafe?
any help is appreciated!!!

milleniumcab
May 22nd, 2007, 10:24 PM
thanks so much!!
looking forward to my trip!!

we get in town about 10:30pm on friday!!
what are the good hot spots located in the area?

jazz clubs, cocktail bars, breakfast cafe?
any help is appreciated!!!

There are many bars/pubs near your hotel, especially on Second Avenue in the 40s and 50s and Third Avenue towards Upper east Side. Breakfast places are also easy to find.. But you won't have much luck with Jazz Clubs in that area of the City. West Village is the place for Jazz/Blues Clubs..There are some near Times Square also.. Enjoy your stay...

WaveBlaster
June 4th, 2007, 04:48 PM
What is the best way to get from JFK to Jersey City (close to NJ side of Holland tunnel next to Newport Centre Mall) for a family of four arriving late Saturday night? Our Hotel recommended JRL Car Service for a Town Car for $75 but after reading many of the posts here, I'm not so sure a Yellow Taxi Cab wouldn't be the better choice. Any idea how much a taxi would cost for this trip? Thanks.

milleniumcab
June 4th, 2007, 10:02 PM
What is the best way to get from JFK to Jersey City (close to NJ side of Holland tunnel next to Newport Centre Mall) for a family of four arriving late Saturday night? Our Hotel recommended JRL Car Service for a Town Car for $75 but after reading many of the posts here, I'm not so sure a Yellow Taxi Cab wouldn't be the better choice. Any idea how much a taxi would cost for this trip? Thanks.

If you can find a car for $75 including the tolls, take the offer. Yellow cab flat rate to Jersey City is about the same but does not include the tolls and tip.. There are two tolls amounting to $10..Tip is up to the passenger

Michi
June 21st, 2007, 11:26 AM
Hello everybody

I'm leaving from Newark Airport this night, and my idea was going to Penn Station and take a train directly to Newark. But I think that I can do it better and cheaper if I take the L line (in wich i'm living), go to 6th Ave. take the Path and go to Newark Penn Station and from there go to the Airport, but im not sure if I can do that and how much it will be.

Any advice?

Thank you all!

STT757
June 21st, 2007, 02:21 PM
If you want to save some cash here's a tip:

Go to NY Penn Station and buy a NJ Transit ticket to the stop after Newark Airport, either North Elizabeth or Elizabeth. When your train stops at Newark Airport's rail link station simply get off and go to the turnstiles for the Airtrain into the Terminal. There you will see machines where you can pay the $5 Airtrain surcharge.

It's perfectly legit.

NJ Transit fare for NY Penn - Newark Airport rail link station (price for Airtrain included) $15.00

NJ Transit fare from NY Penn - North Elizabeth (stop after the airport) $5.50, plus $5.00 for the Airtrain equals $10.50.

You save yourself $5.00 ($4.50 to be percise). This can only be done on trips to the airport, not from.

Here's NJ Transit's website to help you out.

<http://www.njtransit.com/sf_ff_rail.jsp>

ManhattanKnight
June 21st, 2007, 02:57 PM
I haven't researched the fares, but taking PATH from Manhattan to Penn. Station Newark and a NJ Transit bus from there to EWR is probably the cheapest way to go. Bus schedules and fares are at http://njtransit.com.

Michi
June 21st, 2007, 03:35 PM
Thank you guys for the information.But what I do not want to do is to go to Penn Station ... so I'll take the Path in 14th and go from there.. I was there today and a guy told me that the Penn station in newark is close.. ??¿?¿? anyway, im going with lot of time so I'll find out how to get to the airport.. Cant spend the 15$ of the bus...

Thanks

lone star
July 11th, 2007, 08:00 PM
hi guys myself and my partner are heading to new york from ireland in november and was wondering taxi fare costs from jfk to 65-09 queens blvd woodside ny. 11377.thank you.

p.s or is there a subway ride we could take.:):):)

milleniumcab
July 11th, 2007, 10:16 PM
hi guys myself and my partner are heading to new york from ireland in november and was wondering taxi fare costs from jfk to 65-09 queens blvd woodside ny. 11377.thank you.

p.s or is there a subway ride we could take.:):):)

Yellow Taxi will cost around $35-$40. I don't think subway should be your choice to Woodside from JFK...

lone star
July 12th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Yellow Taxi will cost around $35-$40. I don't think subway should be your choice to Woodside from JFK...

THANKS A MILLION M.C

ONE OTHER QUESTION IS IT EASY TO SORT OUT A YELLOW CAB TO GET TO JFK FROM THE HOTEL ON OUR RETURN HOME??:)

milleniumcab
July 12th, 2007, 10:59 PM
THANKS A MILLION M.C

ONE OTHER QUESTION IS IT EASY TO SORT OUT A YELLOW CAB TO GET TO JFK FROM THE HOTEL ON OUR RETURN HOME??:)

Yes it is. Only thing is that you might have to hail one on the city bound side of Queens Blvd. It won't be difficult to make the U-turn..Give yourself about 5 -10 minutes and you'll find one...Enjoy your stay and remember to take only Yellow Cab...;)

lone star
July 13th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Yes it is. Only thing is that you might have to hail one on the city bound side of Queens Blvd. It won't be difficult to make the U-turn..Give yourself about 5 -10 minutes and you'll find one...Enjoy your stay and remember to take only Yellow Cab...;)

thanks a million M.C
was over to new york back in november stayed in jersey.had a great time...:)

milleniumcab
July 14th, 2007, 08:27 AM
thanks a million M.C
was over to new york back in november stayed in jersey.had a great time...:)

YW A MILLION LONE STAR...:).... NOW THAT YOU DECIDED TO STAY IN NYC, YOU WILL HAVE A GREATER TIME...

lone star
July 14th, 2007, 05:19 PM
YW A MILLION LONE STAR...:).... NOW THAT YOU DECIDED TO STAY IN NYC, YOU WILL HAVE A GREATER TIME...

yep "plenty of good irish pubs...lol...:):D:)

atothel
August 21st, 2007, 11:33 AM
How easy (distance, cost, stress level :) ) is it to get from Laguardia to Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard so that I can take the N or W into Manhattan (Times Square)? (This is around 9.30pm tomorrow night - NY here I come!!)

(And what's the difference between the N and W in the first place?)

This map shows that its a ways out from Laguardia
http://www.onnyturf.com/subway/

Should I just get a cab the whole way to Times Square from the airport? What would the difference in price be?

Also coming back, on Sunday around 3pm... same questions apply, only going in the opposite direction.

We booked our trip last minute, have no clue where anything is, and are looking forward to trying to do what we want to do in NYC without a clue of how or where or when to do it. I stumbled across this site yesterday, and intend to spend the rest of the day on here looking for tips and cross referencing them with the map above.

Thanks to everyone already for the info I've already absorbed, and thanks in advance to whoever can help with the question above.

Expect a flurry of other questions throughout the day... ;)

andy8888
October 4th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Hello

This is my first post, so take it easy with me.

Going to NYC in November for the first time. Been trawling through the useful threads here and already developing my own list of things to do, eat and see.

My question is, what is the best transport option from Newark airport to grand central terminal in NYC?

Thanks
Andy

ManhattanKnight
October 4th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Take the Airtrain/New Jersey Transit from your arrival terminal at EWR to Manhattan's Pennsylvania Station. It's a short walk (or, if you have a lot of luggage, cab ride) from there to GCT. Airtrain info is abundently posted at WNY --use the (Google) Custom Search function appearing near the top of most pages here.

Front_Porch
October 7th, 2007, 06:14 PM
If you are making a train connection at Grand Central, leave yourself some time to get from Penn Station to Grand Central. It's a quick taxi ride, but you might spend some time in a line waiting to get said cab.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

karen_england
November 28th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Hello all

I'm coming to NYC in Feb and wondered what the best way is to get from Newark Airport to Park Lane, Manhattan? I've heard that the cabs from Newark aren't a flat rate so it's easy to get ripped off. Would I be wiser to book one of those shuttle buses?

thanks

andy8888
November 29th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Hello all

I'm coming to NYC in Feb and wondered what the best way is to get from Newark Airport to Park Lane, Manhattan? I've heard that the cabs from Newark aren't a flat rate so it's easy to get ripped off. Would I be wiser to book one of those shuttle buses?

thanks

Hi Karen

I've just returned from NYC and like you we used Newark airport. I would recommend the Olympia express bus from the airport and that will take you straight to 41st st (midtown, near Grand Central Terminal). Cost $14 pp each away, $24 return. Take about 40 mins and we've found it less hassle.

I'm not sure where Park Lane is but when you get to the final drop off point, it might be either straight down the subway or a quick cab ride.

Dont bother with the cab from airport.

Good luck and enjoy your trip

Andy

ablarc
November 29th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Park Lane is on Central Park South (59th Street) between 5th and 6th Avenues --a short cab ride from where the bus will let you off. About a mile and a quarter.

karen_england
November 30th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Hi Karen

I've just returned from NYC and like you we used Newark airport. I would recommend the Olympia express bus from the airport and that will take you straight to 41st st (midtown, near Grand Central Terminal). Cost $14 pp each away, $24 return. Take about 40 mins and we've found it less hassle.

I'm not sure where Park Lane is but when you get to the final drop off point, it might be either straight down the subway or a quick cab ride.

Dont bother with the cab from airport.

Good luck and enjoy your trip

Andy

Hi Andy - is the Olympia express bus easy to find at the airport? And do you have to book in advance or just hop on? Oh, and are they regular?

Thanks

Karen

ablarc
November 30th, 2007, 09:44 AM
^ http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.details.asp?action=Lookup&c1=Newark+Liberty+Airport&s1=NJ&c2=New+York&s2=NY&resultId=74212&order=&dayFilter=&scheduleChoice=&sitePageName=%2Folympia%2Fss%2Enewarkairport%2Easp&cbid=11638733758

milleniumcab
November 30th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Are you traveling by yourself?.. If not, you should consider the fact that buses and shuttles charge per person, taxis charge per taxi and the price is good up to 4 people...

And if you are traveling by yourself, the way to go is Olympia Bus to Port Authority and a yellow taxi to Helmsley Park Lane.. I would definitely stay away from Shuttles directly to the Hotel...The shuttles have many pick-ups and drop-offs; they are time consuming and not worth the money... The cost of the Olympia bus + the taxi ride to hotel is about the same as the shuttle to the hotel but it is much less time consuming..

justinmaurer
January 23rd, 2008, 01:29 AM
For those who take stewart airport in Newburgh, NY via skybus or whatever flight agency you use you will need to take the bus or a taxi across the hudson into Beacon train station. From Beacon you can take the MTA North train into grand central. The following link is information regarding the fares: http://as0.mta.info/mnr/fares/get_fares.cfm

This link can give you schedules going to/from Beacon or any Metro North railroad station for that matter:
http://as0.mta.info/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm

ThuRsDaY
February 29th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I'm coming to LaGuardia in April. I figured from reading this it'll cost about 35 bucks including tolls and tip to get from LaGuardia to Holiday Inn 57th street. I was quoted from Lincoln Limo that they'd charge 55 total for the transfer. I was just wondering if the Lincoln would be worth the extra 20 bucks?

milleniumcab
March 1st, 2008, 12:21 AM
I'm coming to LaGuardia in April. I figured from reading this it'll cost about 35 bucks including tolls and tip to get from LaGuardia to Holiday Inn 57th street. I was quoted from Lincoln Limo that they'd charge 55 total for the transfer. I was just wondering if the Lincoln would be worth the extra 20 bucks? What time of the day r u coming?... Middle of the day, there is nothing wrong with taking the 59th Street Bridge which saves you the toll ($4). Meter should run $25 - $28.. Hey , if you think it is worth taking a town car for $55( which probably does not include the toll), more power to you... Personally, I would be happy with a cab...

The Benniest
March 3rd, 2008, 09:02 AM
I still have no idea how they are going to get the 29 people in my tour group from LaGuardia Airport to our first stop somewhere in Manhattan. That'd be hilarious if they piled us all in taxi cabs. :p

...Probably a tour bus though...

The Benniest
March 3rd, 2008, 04:34 PM
Might be. Not sure... When I visited Europe in 2005 (first stop was Madrid, Spain), we didn't go straight to the hotel and instead went straight to our sight seeing. :)

I'll have to look at the itinerary later tonight. :)
Ben

The Benniest
March 3rd, 2008, 09:21 PM
Nope. I'm looking at the itinerary for the trip right now, and it seems that the day we land in LaGaurdia, we start a tour right away. That afternoon we tour Upper Manhattan, Lincoln Center, Central Park, and Harlem.

Soo...basically, on the first day I'm there I'll be looking in the areas I've done the most research on ... living/moving to wise (Harlem/Upper Manhattan). I'll have to pay attention!! :)

Ben

jhennie
March 14th, 2008, 06:17 AM
http://www.wirednewyork.com/guide/airports/lga_ge.jpg[/IMG] (http://www.wirednewyork.com/guide/airports/)

Nice photo..one of my dream is to visit new york How i wish that my dream will come true..

http://www.theparentshandbook.com

djacana
March 15th, 2008, 07:55 AM
Ola,
Before visiting Miami :), we (party of 5) will be heading for NY Thursday 20th March :), landing on JFK@ noon.
I read in former threads that it's best to head to the Comfort Inn Manhattan by mini van. Please advise if this isn't the wisest way. Furthermore, any reviews on the Comfort Inn Manhattan?
As we'll be staying 5 days, we got the advise to buy the New York Pass for 2 days to visit all the 'hot spots'. Did anyone else experienced this already?
Thanks!

brianac
March 15th, 2008, 09:39 AM
Mini Van, Shuttle shared ride is only cheaper if you are travelling alone because they charge per person.

Taxi would be quicker for you.

Unless you can find a large taxi to take 5, you could take 2 taxis and split the total fare equally by five.

Any advice, Milleniumcab?

milleniumcab
March 15th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Brianac is on the money...When you get to the Yellow Taxi Stand at JFK, simply request a 5 passenger minivan. The uniformed dispatcher will get one for you. I volunteer for 5 people often. The only time you might have a problem with a single 5 passenger minivan is if you have very excessive luggage. Seats won't come down with 5 passengers.. The worst thing is you might have to take 2 cabs and that's not so bad.The shuttles to your hotel will charge very similar to the fare for 2 taxis..

Enjoy your trip....

milleniumcab
March 15th, 2008, 11:57 AM
...The Comfort Inns are not luxury hotels. Don't worry you will get what you need, a clean sheet and a decent service..
...I don't know what you mean by 2 day pass but if you mean the tour busses, I am not sure whether you need to pay all that money for that. For 5 people it will cost a small fortune and 5 days is plenty of time to see the "hot spots" on your own. Unlimited daily metro pass is a cheap way to travel in the city and good for subway and busses. And if you get stuck you will find a friendly minivan cabbie to take you around.

Once again, enjoy your stay...

Doug
March 17th, 2008, 09:24 AM
i use http://www.airlinknyc.com/ , good service and rates:cool:

milleniumcab
March 17th, 2008, 06:44 PM
i use http://www.airlinknyc.com/ , good service and rates:cool:

They are 5 people coming into the city. $19 per person for 5 people=$95.. I'll bet they'll love to have them..:rolleyes:

milleniumcab
March 23rd, 2008, 07:18 PM
Airlink and similar services are good for single riders to use..Parties of 2 or more are much better of with a yellow cab..

The Benniest
March 29th, 2008, 09:38 PM
After arriving in La Guardia a week ago, we turned the corner and saw this. I was quite surprised at the amount of taxi cabs waiting near the airport.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/benthal/DSC04852.jpg

milleniumcab
March 29th, 2008, 11:10 PM
That's two of the waiting lots in Laguardia, Delta in the front and Usair in the back.. We can also choose to wait at Main Terminal, American and Delta Shuttle (Marine Air Terminal)..

Lewis
April 4th, 2008, 04:28 PM
If I put my tinned pineapple, tinned tuna and crakers:p in my checked-in luggage, will they allow me to take it outside the airport, do i have to claim anything???

Saftlad
April 19th, 2008, 06:43 AM
Qick question for MC:

Due to come over on Thursday for 40th birthday, and we're just going to catch a cab to our hotel on E34th (there's just the two of us).

I'm expecting this to be around $40 + $10 toll +$10 tip and should be one of the easier ways to get to the hotel.

Does this cost sound about right, or have I based it on old prices?

Thanks for your help, I can't wait to get on the plane :D

brianac
April 19th, 2008, 06:54 AM
All the information you require is here (http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml)

You should pay $45.oo plus tolls (if any) plus tip $10.00 would be plenty.

Saftlad
April 20th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Grand, thanks Brainac.

brianac
April 20th, 2008, 05:53 AM
^^^

You're welcome.

Enjoy your trip.

Saftlad
April 28th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Just arrived back and thought I would update on the price from Newark.

$61 from the despatcher, plus tolls and tips.

Driver was an absolute fruitcake, with a vendetta against everyone else on the road, and didn't stop cussing all the way to the hotel. Was ok on the NJ side, but the more traffic he hit in NY, the worse he got.

Coming back, the hotel arranged a car for us. Much more sedate and considered. Cost of that was $70 all in, so we'll probably take that option next time.

Perhaps our cab driver was just having a bad day. We're all guilty of that :( sometimes.

Sunnygirl
June 15th, 2008, 04:16 AM
Per the Super Shuttle website, the cost for 2 would only be $33, and then I guess I can figure in a $10 tip (does that sound about right?)... not quite sure what the charge would be to take a cab from JFK, but I am guessing that it would be more expensive to do so, is that right?

Additionally, I have never used the Super Shuttle in NYC (used it in LA w/no problem)... but was wondering if there would be any reason that I would not want to? My flight doeesn't arrive until 10pm, but the site didn't indicate that service ended prior.

If anyone could help me out w/these few questions before June 25th, I would really appreciate it... and promise not to be an obnoxious tourist when I visit. :D

brianac
June 15th, 2008, 05:30 AM
Taxi fares.

All the information you require is here (http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml)

You should pay $45.oo plus tolls (if any) plus tip $10.00 would be plenty.

I normally use the shuttle (Blue Van) because I travel alone, and for one person it is the least expensive way to be dropped at the door of your hotel.

Keep in mind that going to 88th and Riverside you will probably be the last drop off because they normally enter Manhattan by the 59th St Bridge and they will drop off any Midtown passemgers first. This has been my experience when travelling to 75th and Broadway.

Depends on how many passengers you are sharing with but your journey could be a long one.

To sum up, if I was travelling with one other person, I would pay the little extra and take a taxi.

kingpaddy99
June 19th, 2008, 10:22 PM
hi everyone!!,

i'm going to nyc next week and i want to know what is the best way to travel from newark airport to time square. Buses, taxi or train ?? and what is the price of each. thanks a lot!!:)

NYC4Life
June 19th, 2008, 11:09 PM
You can take the PATH train from Newark Penn Station to the WTC Stop. From there you can take the E subway uptown to the 42nd Street stop. :)

PATH one way ride is $1.75

One way ride on the subway is $2

Very cheap travel.

Good luck!

You can also take the NJ Transit train directly from Newark Liberty Airport on the "Northeast Corridor Line" to Penn Station NY (Not Newark)

From Penn Station you can then take the A, C, E, 1, 2, OR 3 subway uptown to 42nd street. (Your Choice...lol)

Optimus Prime
June 19th, 2008, 11:30 PM
The PATH doesn't go to the airport, so s/he would have to take another train to get to Newark Penn. It's better just to stay on NJ Transit since you have to get on it anyway.

Take the Airtrain from the terminal to the Airport Train Station, then take NJ Transit to NY Penn Station. From there take the A/C/E or 1/2/3 as NYC4Life says. Total for all that is I think around 15 bucks.

Taxi from airport to Times Square is probably 40-50.

You can also catch a super shuttle van for about 15 dollars. Similar to a cab but you have to ride with 5-6 other people so you don't get directly where you're going right away. There's also Newark Liberty Airport Express, which is similar but only goes to Midtown and I think is 13 or so dollars.

kingpaddy99
June 20th, 2008, 09:20 PM
thanks a lot :)

Jody2
October 23rd, 2008, 04:13 PM
I'm planning on surprising my husband with dinner in NYC soon (hopefully Nov. or at least by the end of the year).

Alas, the flight schedule for my preferred airline is pretty tight. (It'll be an early dinner, that's for sure.)

The flight I want arrives around 5pm. That airline's latest return flight departs around 8:30pm. Since we have to be back at the airport no later than 7:30pm (int'l flight rules), that only leaves a maximum of 2.5hrs to get to and from the airport, and have dinner.

We've been to New York many times (and love it!) but, this time, I just want to go for dinner (as opposed to staying overnight)...just for the novelty. (I've flown the Concorde, but never "to Paris..." "...just for dinner." But I wish I'd been able to do it...just once.)

With such a tight schedule, I'm worried that if each trip to/from the airport is most likely close to an hour, then I'll be out of luck. (I've never flown to/from Newark. So I have no idea how long the trip is, or what traffic is usually like at those times.)

I do want it to be a relatively tight schedule. I mean, I don't want us hanging about for hours. But, as locals, can you tell me if my plan is realistically doable?

Land at Newark around 5pm
Drive to our Manhattan restaurant
eat dinner (We can probably get our dinner finished within an hour, if necessary. I mean, we're not hosting a party or anything.)
back to the airport by 7:30?
If so, what is the fastest, most flexible mode of transport? Taxi/limo? Is that our best bet? I've read the trains are fast, but I'm worried travel to/from the stations will add more time and aggravation, and they are probably on a fixed schedule which might mean a lot of wasted time, in our case.

As a last resort, I suppose I could take an earlier flight (arrives 3pm), and we could go shopping for a bit, before dinner. But I'd really rather do the later flight, if y'all think it's possible. I really just want to land, take a cab/limo to the restaurant, eat dinner, hail a cab and return to the airport, and fly home.

Ummm...as I do the math mentally, I'm kind of answering my own question, I think. Assuming a 45 min. cab/limo ride, that means a 5:45-6pm dinner reservation, and we'd have to leave by 6:45, to get back to the airport by 7:30. And that's assuming everything goes smoothly. Uh...maybe it's just too tight? The 3pm arrival is starting to look more realistic, with maybe a 5pm-ish dinner. (???) (On the plus side, at least it shouldn't be difficult to get a reservation that early.) ;-)

Of course we can always stay overnight if everything falls apart. So, no worries there. But I'd really like to be able to do the tighter trip, if possible.

What say you all? Forget the 5pm arrival, and opt for 3pm, because 5's just not realistic??? Or can it be done? :)

stache
October 23rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
Much less anxiety. :)

TheFivePoints
October 23rd, 2008, 04:29 PM
If you were to accomplish this David Blaine would want to talk to you.
No this is impossible, the traffic is horrific at this time of the day and the trains are no better because this is generally the busiest time of the day. Maybe he can meet you half way or if you are serious there are some nice restaurants in Newark airport.
But please be careful there are some very bad area's in Newark.

Jody2
October 23rd, 2008, 04:57 PM
Thanks for the zippy reply, Stache!

Of course you're right. I guess I just didn't think it through enough when planning departure times.

I was hoping not to take my husband away from work too early, since the (downtown) airport is maybe 10 minutes from his office. (However, we LIVE at least an hour's drive from any local airports.) I thought I could surprise him downtown (I've pulled off many surprises, over the years), and with passports in hand, simply announce that we're off to New York for dinner. Voilà! Everybody's happy.

The difference is, the earlier flight leaves around 1:30pm, which means he has to be at the airport by 12:30, at the latest. That doesn't allow for much of a work day. At least the later flight would give him a couple more hours. (He's extremely busy.)

Oh well...it's still a good surprise, I think, even at the earlier time. But you're right. It's just too tight with my original plan. (Better to realize that now, than the hard way.)

If only this airline had a later flight. I suppose the next best option is to consider another airline for the return flight, so it could be later. But flying into the U.S. with two one-way tickets would really put us in jeopardy of being pulled aside, etc. They hate that kind of thing. Gawd how I hate flying to the U.S. these days, anyway. But it's just so darn much fun, once you get there!!! :)

TheFivePoints, thanks for the feedback, too. I kind of chuckled when you suggested eating dinner in Jersey, or even at the airport. It just doesn't have the same caché, n'est-ce pas? (I mean that in the most loving way possible, of course.) In any event, we're going to a specific restaurant...which is part of the draw in going to New York for dinner. I think my husband will love that particular place. He's such a gourmand!

Okay...so that's that, I guess. It'll have to be the flight that arrives at 3pm, or a later return flight on another airline (which will, sadly, fly into the international airport, far from our home, rather than the downtown airport). Thanks for helping me think this through!!! Much appreciated!

TheFivePoints
October 23rd, 2008, 05:25 PM
Your welcome Jody, the time restraints would be too much but please allow yourself plenty of time to return back to the airport.
A few weeks ago there were some crazy antics by the Holland Tunnel where the traffic was stopped for hours and hours.
Good Luck

stache
October 23rd, 2008, 05:52 PM
Jody, where do you live?

Jody2
October 23rd, 2008, 06:10 PM
TheFivePoints, thanks for the additional tip. I realize that traffic snarls could happen at any time. But I'm not going to plan everything with the assumption I'll be held up for hours. If it happens, it happens. We'll deal with it, then. We can always stay overnight, if it comes to that. Oh, I forgot to mention that I laughed at your David Blaine joke. Thanks! That was good! ;-)

Stache, well...of course I was doing my best not to get too personal. But you can put it all in perspective if I tell you we live in Toronto. :-)

KenNYC
October 23rd, 2008, 08:54 PM
The idea is great, but you're a tad bit short on time I guess. Whats wrong with making it an overnight though? A good dinner needs a dessert, doesn't it? :)

Jody2
October 23rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
Hey George...er...um...KenNYC!

There's nothing wrong with the overnights. Do 'em all the time. I wanted this to be different...more decadent. For instance, just two weeks ago, I announced I wanted to go see some live jazz and blues, and flew to Chicago (also about an hour and a half flight from Toronto). Checked into hotel around 4pm. A bit of shopping 'til 6. In the shower, then dinner reservations at 7:15pm. At jazz club by 8:30 or so. Blues club by 11. Back to the hotel around 2am. In-room breakfast at 11am. Napped 'til 2. Late checkout at 3. Then off to the airport to return home. ...Sweet. In and out. Down and dirty. ;-)

I love just waking up one day and deciding to go somewhere. I especially love the New York trips on a whim. I L-O-V-E New York. (But how cliché is that? Who doesn't?) ;-) I do the 'surprise trip' a fair bit, too. A few years ago, I surprised my husband with a trip to Amsterdam. He didn't know where we were going until the automated valet parking machine required me to type in which airline. When he saw "KLM" he guessed correctly. This past February, I managed to keep our final desitation a surprise an astonishingly long time. We made it all the way to our gate in Frankfurt, where he finally saw we were headed to Stockholm.

The thing is, he's so busy, we rarely travel anywhere for longer than, say, a long weekend. (Also, I have a dog. We take her with us absolutely whenever possible. But if we can't, it means I won't leave her with my best friend for longer than a few days.) So all these whimsical trips need to be relatively close (probably 6-8hr flight max). (And yes, the total travel time for Stockholm was at least 13hrs each way. We were barely in the city for 24hrs. But it was a fun adventure. I would stay more than one night, if I were to go again, though.)

What? TMI? (blushing) (I'm so chatty today.) Anyway, I've done the overnights and weekends in NYC a fair bit. I'd like to make this one a bit different.

Ironically, he and I were just now talking about a trip I'm taking (alone) in January, and he said he'd prefer I blow that one off entirely, so we can both go somewhere more exotic...maybe even longer than 3 or 4 days. Ah...dare to dream.

Eugenius
October 24th, 2008, 09:37 AM
Actually, it can be done!

Check out US Helicopter at www.flyushelicopter.com for a helicopter flight from Newark to E.34th St.

The flight takes about 10 minutes, and there is a flight from Newark to the E34 St. Heliport at 5:45, which gives you enough time to get to the helicopter from your plane. Also, on the way back, you go through security at the heliport, so no need to wait in line at the airport, so you can take the 7:45 flight back. This gives you 1:55 to get from 34th st. to your restaurant, eat, get back to the heliport, and go through security there (the last one shouldn't be a problem - not exactly a long line there).

The tickets are, I believe $105 per person each way, so if you are on a tight budget, this might not be as attractive; though you did mention the limo option, and this does not seem much more expensive.

Jody2
October 24th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks so much, Egenius! That is an unbelievable price for such a service. (Most times I've looked into heli-cabs, they're more like $500.) I'll look into that option. Thanks!!!

fizz
December 21st, 2008, 02:49 PM
we are arriving into JFK from the uk next year and need to get to penn station , 7th av exit, our hotel is just by this exit, my husband says we can take the train/subway all the way from the airport to Penn, is that right, if so any idea how long it may take, we should arrive about 1o'clock lunchtime on a wednesday, thanks, fizz

ablarc
December 21st, 2008, 04:48 PM
http://www.mta.info/mta/airtrain.htm

AirTrain to Jamaica, then transfer to the Long Island Railroad (LIRR) (altogether about 45 minutes).

Be sure you get on the right AirTrain; the wrong one takes you to the subway, which will take you forever.

You should surf around a bit on this forum for ideas about what to do with your time. Or tell us about yourselves, and we'll make suggestions.

fizz
December 21st, 2008, 05:16 PM
thanks for the prompt reply

spatulashack
December 22nd, 2008, 03:44 PM
http://www.mta.info/mta/airtrain.htm

AirTrain to Jamaica, then transfer to the Long Island Railroad (LIRR) (altogether about 45 minutes).

Be sure you get on the right AirTrain; the wrong one takes you to the subway, which will take you forever.

You should surf around a bit on this forum for ideas about what to do with your time. Or tell us about yourselves, and we'll make suggestions.

I wouldn't say it takes forever. The E train + AirTrain takes an hour and 15 minutes max. Unless the E is running local in Queens I never see a reason to spend the extra money on the LIRR unless it is an emergency.

ablarc
December 22nd, 2008, 05:34 PM
^ That's an awful lot of time to spend on a boring subway ride when you're a visitor from abroad just itching to get to Manhattan. All to save a few bucks?

LIRR is a proper train like they're used to in England. Swift and easy, with comfy seats facing in the direction you're going and no problems with luggage, crowds and seeing out.

That subway trip takes, yea, forever --if you have the slightest shred of anticipation to make you impatient to get into town.

In fact it takes an eternity.

Not a great first impresssion.

If you're poor, trying to pinch pennies, familiar with the route, not tired from a transatlantic flight, not laden with luggage that gets in everybody's way, a savvy New Yorker, young, not worried about getting off at the wrong stop ... it's fine.

Gunslinger
December 23rd, 2008, 04:01 PM
Did the Airtrain/LIRR to Penn last year
Very straightforward - not that expensive and quick

Recommended

Marv95
December 25th, 2008, 11:27 AM
It would be better if they didn't have that stupid $5 surcharge to exit the Airtrain station. I mean what? Is it really necessary?

ablarc
December 28th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Airport trains carry a surcharge many places.

meesalikeu
June 21st, 2009, 11:49 AM
^ That's an awful lot of time to spend on a boring subway ride when you're a visitor from abroad just itching to get to Manhattan. All to save a few bucks?

LIRR is a proper train like they're used to in England. Swift and easy, with comfy seats facing in the direction you're going and no problems with luggage, crowds and seeing out.

That subway trip takes, yea, forever --if you have the slightest shred of anticipation to make you impatient to get into town.

In fact it takes an eternity.

Not a great first impresssion.

If you're poor, trying to pinch pennies, familiar with the route, not tired from a transatlantic flight, not laden with luggage that gets in everybody's way, a savvy New Yorker, young, not worried about getting off at the wrong stop ... it's fine.

why on earth would anyone going to manhattan take the E from the jfk airtrain? take the A instead, at least it has express stops. lots of people do this, if you are not too loaded down with luggage its fine.

speaking of cheap, the least expensive way i know to go from newark liberty airport to manhattan is to catch the #40 newark city bus at the airport. it costs $1.35 and takes you to newark penn station. from there you can get the path train into manhattan for $1.75. a great deal and its just as fast as any other way, but again, not so good an idea if you have a lot of luggage.

from laguardia i have taken the M60, Q33 and Q47 city buses to their subway connections and they are all fine, but here even i draw the line as it really drags the trip out and with luggage it is hell. to get to manhattan from laguardia i usually just take a cab. its easy, quick and worth the slight splurge vs your time and effort.

milleniumcab
June 24th, 2009, 05:31 PM
Whatever transportation form you choose is up to you.. Just don't choose this one....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/06/24/2009-06-24_french_tourists_get_ride_of_their_lives.html

socccer123
July 21st, 2009, 12:17 PM
Need a transportation from La Guardia to the upper east side (near 79th & York).

A cab is around $30?

Is there any easy way to get there via subway?

Any other transportation options (cheapest)?

-------------------------

Also anything special going on this weekend? Will be there Friday AM till Monday PM.

Have done most of the tourist stuff to do in NYC... looking to see more of the local scene, etc.. but do not mind some touristy stuff.

Thanks, in advance for any help