PDA

View Full Version : Bets place to live in New York?

Gedio
November 11th, 2005, 02:22 PM
I'm considering moving to New York (Manhattan) when I've done my graduate dergee. I've been looking into relative apartment prices (shared eventually, fingers crossed) but I'm just asking where's the "main" part of manhattan? The most "happening place" (can't think of better words, sorry). IS it upper east or somewhere like that?

RandySavage
November 11th, 2005, 03:00 PM
It depends on you and your tastes.

For example, a lot of recent college grads live on the upper east side. There is a more artsy/bohemian lifestyle in the East Village. Battery Park City has great parks and new buildings but is removed from the energy of midtown and Central Park.

If $$$ were no option I would live in the following neighborhoods:
Far West Village
Central Park West in the 70s-80s
Central Park East in 70s-80s
Park Ave in 60s-70s
Gramercy Park
Upper West Side on Riverside Park
Sutton Place

These are some of the best neighborhoods in the greatest city on the planet... the cost of living there reflects that fact.

czsz
November 11th, 2005, 03:11 PM
The "main" part of Manhattan is generally anything below 96th Street, though this designation is slowly creeping northwards (to 125th on the west side or 100th or so on the east).

The residential areas above 59th ("uptown") are less exciting than those below it (excluding the infamously dull Murray Hill, in the 30s and 40s on the east side) but more "established" (this also goes for Murray Hill). The West Village (the area on the west side between 14th and Houston) is seemingly headed in this direction as well. Your lifestyle will determine which is a better neighbourhood more than anything. Were I in your position, I'd probably prefer an established neighbourhood south of Midtown (the commercial area roughly between 34th and 59th Sts.)...something with an uptown ambience but within walking distance/affordable cab ride of more interesting areas. Uptown can mean painfully long subway rides for anyone frequently headed downtown. the same goes for Brooklyn in general.

ablarc
November 17th, 2005, 06:37 AM
West Side in the Seventies.

Has anyone mentioned TriBeCa? Has SoHo fallen off the radar?

The flying wedge of urban pioneers says it's Harlem. That, however, points to buying rather than renting. Or is it already too late to make that pay? Watch out, as czsz says, for the longish commute (unless, like Bill Clinton, you work there).

redhot00
November 17th, 2005, 07:19 AM
a lot of recent college grads live on the upper east side.

Mainly because it's all they can afford while still living below 96th St. As long as you stay east of Lexington on the UES, your rents are going to be still below "sky high" level.