PDA

View Full Version : Port Authority Capital plan (2006-2015)

STT757
December 9th, 2005, 01:50 PM
The Port Authority released a copy of their Capital Plan for 2006-2015, it lists both committed/Board Approved expenditures as well as canidate projects for Board Approval.

Some highlights of Board Approved Airport projects:

Kennedy Airport,
Jetblue Terminal 5 $781 Million,

Newark Airport,
Terminal B modernization $268 Million

Highlights of Canidate Airport Projects:

Kennedy Airport,
Rebuilding of Terminals 2, 3, 6 $750 Million

Newark Airport,
Terminal A modernization $1.2 Billion

Laguardia Airport,
Central Terminal Building Modernization $1 Billion

New Regional Airport (4th passenger Airport)
$1 Billion

Board Approved Airport Transit projects:

Laguardia Airport,
Manhattan Ferry service $12 Million

Kennedy Airport,
Lower Manhattan Rail Link $53 Million

Canidate Airport Transit Projects:

Newark Airport,
Additional Airtrain cars $57 Million, PATH extension to EWR $550 Million

Kennedy Airport,
Additional Airtrain cars $30 Million, Lower Manhattan Rail Link $1.5 Billion

Rail connections amongst EWR, JFK LGA $2 Billion

Express Rail to 4th Regional Airport $1.5 Billion

http://www.panynj.com/AboutthePortAuthority/InvestorRelations/pdf/2006-2015_capital_proj.pdf

NIMBYkiller
December 9th, 2005, 08:10 PM
UGH! Why are they waisting money on the lower Manhattan link. It is such a waste. They screwed JFK out of a one seat Manhattan rail ride when they built Airtrain.

Glad to see the ferry was approved.

I'm still wondering if Stewart Airport as the 4th major regional airport is such a hot idea.

STT757
December 9th, 2005, 11:27 PM
For some reason the Goethals bridge replacement project did not make their list of Capital Projects, but by no means does that mean it's not active in fact I would expect this project to get the Board's Approval within two years.

http://www.goethalseis.com/

Another project that did make the Capital Program list is the project to raise the height of the Bayonne Bridge, the Port Authority along with the Feds wants to spend $1 Billion Dollars to jack up the Bayonne bridge to allow taller Ship traffic to access Port Newark/Elizabeth and Howland Hook.

NewYorkYankee
December 10th, 2005, 02:54 PM
What is this 4th regional airport?

NIMBYkiller
December 11th, 2005, 11:04 AM
They're bitching about how JFK, LGA, and EWR are all packed to the brim. I say if they didn't have so many pointless short haul flights, some of the airports could fit more.

Airports like MacArthur can hande the short haul flights. They're actually more qualified for it, IMO. Think about it. LGA is so close to Amtrak, so it competes directly with them. MacArthur is way out on the island, where even if Amtrak did run, would not be able to come close to being comparable travel time with an aircraft.

Move the short hauls to MacArthur, which opens up more space at LGA atleast.

Right now, they're looking at Stewart Airport as the new major regional airport. I think that MacArthur is a better candidate, but that's just my opinion. Along with making Stewart the new major regional airport, they want to put in a rail link, which will be a one seat ride to Manhattan if the Tappan Zee is rebuilt with the commuter rail option.

December 11th, 2005, 02:20 PM
That PATH extension to Newark Airport sure would be useful. (And it would have been useful decades ago, too.) What will it take to get that project going?

$1.50 gets you from Downtown or Herald Square to the airport ...

STT757
December 11th, 2005, 04:08 PM
That PATH extension to Newark Airport sure would be useful. (And it would have been useful decades ago, too.) What will it take to get that project going?

$1.50 gets you from Downtown or Herald Square to the airport ...

Plus the $5.00 Airtrain surcharge, so the actual fare would be like $6.50.

ablarc
December 11th, 2005, 07:04 PM
Right now, they're looking at Stewart Airport as the new major regional airport. I think that MacArthur is a better candidate, but that's just my opinion. Along with making Stewart the new major regional airport, they want to put in a rail link, which will be a one seat ride to Manhattan if the Tappan Zee is rebuilt with the commuter rail option.
Mapquest gives current road travel time from Stewart to Port Authority Bus Terminal as 1hour and 25 minutes. That's for 71.24 miles travel distance on the Thruway, Garden State and Lincoln Tunnel, for an average travel speed of 50.3 miles per hour. We all know that when the Lincoln Tunnel and the roads leading to it are congested travel time is likely to be longer.

Assuming that a train's travel distance could be about the same (say 71.24) in miles, it would have to cover the distance at an average speed of 95 mph to get you into Penn Station or Grand Central in a reasonable 45 minutes.

Trains like that are fairly common in Europe and some places in Asia, but do we in this country still have the will (read "money") and the technological know-how to accomplish such a feat?

December 11th, 2005, 07:56 PM
Plus the $5.00 Airtrain surcharge, so the actual fare would be like $6.50.

Ohhh, so the Airtrain surcharge is included in the NJ Transit fare of up to $14 one-way from Penn Station ... thanks, I hadn't realized.

stache
December 12th, 2005, 12:00 AM
I wish there was some way to get rid of having to transfer at Journal Square.

NIMBYkiller
December 12th, 2005, 12:01 AM
I wouldn't count on 95 MPH at all. If anything I'd count on 45 MPH. The routing to GCT would be via the Tappan Zee. Certain sections I'm sure can be higher speeds, but a lot I fear will be fairly slow.

ablarc
December 12th, 2005, 06:41 AM
I wouldn't count on 95 MPH at all. If anything I'd count on 45 MPH.
Then why bother with rail at all? Why not just leave it to buses?

NIMBYkiller
December 12th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Rail isn't prone to the traffic jams that the buses would be. Still, I wouldn't doubt for a second that some company like Shortline will start a service connecting Stewart with PABT.

Basically, the service I think is already proposed to exist from atleast Suffern, over the Tappan Zee, and down to GCT. They might as well just go ahead and run the trains further north on the Port Jervis line, and then on a new spur to the airport. The service isn't dedicated soley to the airport. It's for everyone along the line.

billyblancoNYC
December 12th, 2005, 12:36 PM
UGH! Why are they waisting money on the lower Manhattan link. It is such a waste. They screwed JFK out of a one seat Manhattan rail ride when they built Airtrain.

Glad to see the ferry was approved.

I'm still wondering if Stewart Airport as the 4th major regional airport is such a hot idea.

I don't know why you are so against the downtown-JFK link. It makes total sense. There should be direct links from JFK and LGA from BOTH DT and MT. As an added benefit, hundreds of thousands of LI residents will shave over 20 min time getting downtown. I don't see the drawbacks at all.

Are you for the LIRR east side access project?

lofter1
June 24th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Prying Open the Port Authority

NY TIMES (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/24/opinion/nyregionopinions/CIport-1.html)
The City
June 24, 2007

The Twenties were just starting to roar when New York and New Jersey agreed to quit feuding over their mutual waterway, the one with the Statue of Liberty in its center. The two state governments created what is now called the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. The treaty gave each governor the right to appoint half the agency’s board members.

Since then, this strange organizational bird has been running the port, and over time has taken on the Lincoln and Holland tunnels, the George Washington Bridge, various bus terminals, and the Newark, La Guardia, Kennedy and Teterboro airports. The authority, which also owned the World Trade Center, now controls most of the complicated downtown reconstruction project, including the Calatrava PATH station, the memorial, the Freedom Tower and the foundations for other skyscrapers.

Nevertheless, any agency that answers to two states too easily answers to nobody. And for years, this enormous authority with its $5 billion budget has operated in the shadows — its public business considered too important for the public to know much about.

After Sept. 11, those running the authority started to change. Anthony Coscia, the new chairman as of 2003, began working to make open up the meetings and to de-mystify the authority’s day-to-day business operations. But a problem remains. Mr. Coscia holds his job by appointment, and what is done by the chairman can just as easily be undone by a less public-spirited successor.

Gov. Eliot Spitzer of New York and Gov. Jon Corzine of New Jersey took a good first step toward reform last week, calling on the port to revise its bylaws to make its business more understandable to its millions of customers.

Their proposal would require more open meetings and more transparent contracting and planning. Typically, in the past, a very expensive construction project would appear as one lump sum on the agenda. Now the public would be allowed to comment on item-by-item expenses, and for the first time would be able to see who is being awarded contracts and where the money is going.

The new bylaws would also be designed to bar “inappropriate lobbying” of the authority, while other rules would tighten codes of ethics and governance in an effort, among other things, to prevent commissioners from passing along contracts to business or family connections.

This is all very worthwhile. As Mr. Coscia put it: “The important thing now is that we need public confidence because of all the big projects we are working on. We have to establish that we can’t be working in some dark closet where nobody knows what happens.”

These changes should help open the doors and let the sunlight in. If they do not, the only recourse would seem to be to persuade both the New York and New Jersey legislatures to agree on the same reform language.

That would be a heavy lift even for these two high-octane governors.

Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company

brianac
November 7th, 2007, 06:01 AM
Port Authority Sets Its Sights on Robust List of Projects

By KEN BELSON (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/ken_belson/index.html?inline=nyt-per)
Published: November 7, 2007
For decades, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/p/port_authority_of_new_york_and_new_jersey/index.html?inline=nyt-org) was a bastion of patronage and a hulking bureaucracy living on its past success in building much of the region’s transportation network.
After its creation in 1921 and a burst of construction in the 1930s that included the George Washington Bridge and the Lincoln Tunnel, the agency largely languished, inheriting politicians past their prime, along with members of their extended families and circles of friends.
At times, the governors of New York and New Jersey — who share responsibility for the agency, though their agendas are often competing — refused to approve substantial investment, and in some cases they tried to pull the agency apart and dilute its sway. But in the aftermath of the destruction of the World Trade Center the headquarters of the Port Authority and its last major construction project, more than 30 years ago, it has at least started to chip away at the nepotism and displayed a renewed vigor in launching projects not seen in decades.
With the backing of both governors, Jon S. Corzine (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/c/jon_s_corzine/index.html?inline=nyt-per) of New Jersey and Eliot Spitzer (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/eliot_l_spitzer/index.html?inline=nyt-per) of New York, and of Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/michael_r_bloomberg/index.html?inline=nyt-per) — three pragmatists who view a healthy Port Authority as a driving economic force for the region — the agency has taken on a robust agenda, which includes spending $26 billion over 10 years to rebuild and expand its airports, bridges, ports, railways, tunnels and the trade center.
“This is the best alignment in leadership we’ve seen in many years,” said Martin E. Robins, director of the Alan M. Voorhees Transportation Center at Rutgers University (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/r/rutgers_the_state_university/index.html?inline=nyt-org). “The sky is not falling, but the agency has been underachieving for a number of years and is now poised to do something very significant.”
The agency does not have the power to tax, so its officials, appointed by the two governors. must rely on bond issues, tolls, fares, fees and leases to finance projects.
So far, the agency’s checklist includes rebuilding the World Trade Center, helping finance a second rail tunnel under the Hudson River (the first was built a century ago), revamping the moribund PATH system, replacing the Goethals Bridge, giving Kennedy International Airport a major face-lift and linking the region’s ports to the freight rail network.
Last week, another piece of the agenda took shape when the Port Authority took control of Stewart International Airport in New Windsor, N.Y., the agency’s first major acquisition in nearly 40 years. The agency wants to expand Stewart, a sleepy regional airport in Orange County, about 65 miles north of mid-Manhattan, as a way to ease congestion at the region’s three major airports.
However, not everyone is pleased to see the agency flexing its muscles, and its ambitious plans are rekindling longstanding suspicions that it is abusing its independence with little regard for the needs of those it is supposed to serve.
Not surprisingly, commuters and lawmakers pounced on the Port Authority over its plans to raise tolls on its bridges and tunnels by at least one-third next year, the first increase since 2001. Drivers without E-ZPass would pay $8 or $9, up from the current $6, to cross into New York on the George Washington Bridge and in the Lincoln and Holland Tunnels; or to cross to New Jersey from Staten Island on the Goethals and Bayonne Bridges and the Outerbridge Crossing — which was named after the first chairman of the Port Authority, Eugenius H. Outerbridge.
“I can’t see, no matter how you slice it, how the motorist is going to gain from a toll hike helping finance other projects,” said Stephen G. Carrellas, the New Jersey chapter coordinator of the National Motorists Association, a group based in Wisconsin.
“I can’t say for a fact that these projects will be more responsive to the needs of those using them, but they seem to be trying to do the right things,” said Gene Russianoff (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/r/gene_russianoff/index.html?inline=nyt-per), the lawyer for the Straphangers Campaign (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/s/straphangers_campaign/index.html?inline=nyt-org), a rider advocacy group. “Like other transit advocates, I hope for the best but I am on guard for the worst.”
Toll and fare increases are rarely popular, and the governors of New Jersey and New York have often used their veto power to stymie initiatives. But these days, the Port Authority has more political cover. Last week, Governor Corzine — who has appointed a new leadership team — all but endorsed the higher tolls and rail fares.
“The cost of maintaining just the operations are substantial,” he told reporters in Hamilton, N.J. “I’m sure what Governor Spitzer and I would like to do is keep that cost to the lowest possible level that will allow us to accomplish safe provision of services at the tunnels and bridges and develop the port.”
The backing of the governors has bolstered the agency’s ability to pursue ambitious goals like the Hudson rail tunnel, which is expected to cost about $8 billion; the agency has agreed to contribute $2 billion, in the belief that moving Amtrak and New Jersey Transit (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/n/new_jersey_transit/index.html?inline=nyt-org) passengers more efficiently will spur economic growth and reduce the wear and tear on existing facilities.
To be sure, many of the agency’s steps are more incremental and less glamorous, like establishing high-speed toll lanes at the Outerbridge Crossing in Staten Island. Two lanes have been equipped with devices, mounted to an overhead gantry, that can read an E-ZPass tag in vehicles going 45 miles per hour, instead of the maximum of 25 m.p.h. at other gates.
In the offices overlooking the bridge’s toll plaza, David Boyle, a supervisor, monitored the traffic flow one recent afternoon. In 15 minutes, nearly 300 vehicles streamed through the high-speed gates, twice as many as passed through the other five booths combined. The goal is to eliminate all of its manned tollbooths to reduce bottlenecks. “The push to go to higher speeds lets us move traffic that much faster,” said Paul Pittari, general manager of the Port Authority bridge crossings on Staten Island.
But with the highways and Manhattan becoming increasingly clogged with traffic, the Port Authority is shifting its emphasis from cars, trucks and buses to rail lines. The agency built the AirTrain to run from the Jamaica Long Island Rail Road station to Kennedy Airport and is considering a rail link from Stewart Airport to run along the west side of the Hudson, connect with the Port Jervis line and then come into the city.
Nor can the authority afford to ignore its original mission, operating and unifying the ports in New York and New Jersey. Those ports’ dominance on the East Coast is being challenged by cities like Baltimore and Norfolk.
In April, the agency reopened a rail spur on Staten Island that had been shut for 15 years, so containers unloaded at the port at the Howland Hook Marine Terminal could be transported to New Jersey by train instead of being loaded onto trucks. In all, the agency is spending $600 million to improve rail services at all of its ports.
Anthony R. Coscia, the chairman of the Port Authority since 2003, said he recognized that the agency’s expanded agenda could arouse fears of an unchallenged juggernaut, in the mold of Robert Moses (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/m/robert_moses/index.html?inline=nyt-per)’ Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority. For that reason, he said, he and Anthony E. Shorris, the Port Authority’s executive director since early this year, helped rewrite its bylaws, for the first time since 1981. Changes include opening all board and committee meetings, to encourage public comment.
Both men are mindful of what Mr. Shorris calls “a pretty bad 12 years” at the agency during the Republican administrations of Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/g/rudolph_w_giuliani/index.html?inline=nyt-per) and Gov. George E. Pataki (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/p/george_e_pataki/index.html?inline=nyt-per).
“Pataki didn’t think of using the Port Authority to promote regional growth,” said Jameson W. Doig, who reached that conclusion in “Empire on the Hudson,” a history of the agency he wrote in 2001.
But in the end, it comes down to travelers, whether on the roads, on the rails or in the air. It is a battle that cannot be won.
“Criticism of the Port Authority comes from the type of operations they run,” Mr. Doig said. “It’s almost inevitable there would be some of this. They’d have less of it if they built fewer projects, but they wouldn’t get any of the benefits.”

ManhattanKnight
November 7th, 2007, 08:08 AM
^I (and perhaps others) would find postings like this a lot more readable if the poster would preserve the paragraph breaks found in the text being cut and pasted (here, today's NY Times). This can be done very simply by scrolling through the text and pressing the ENTER key at the end of each paragraph.

lofter1
November 7th, 2007, 09:55 AM
A pet peeve of mine ^

Although I don't understand why those paragraph breaks (which are seen in the original source material) aren't automatically maintained when doing cut / paste.

The time involved in re-formatting posts can be a pain. But the effort is important & necessary as it makes the material far easier to read / digest.

brianac
November 7th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Why don't we ban the cut and paste habit and just paste the link.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/07/nyregion/07port.html?_r=1&ref=nyregion&oref=slogin

ManhattanKnight
November 7th, 2007, 10:27 AM
^Posting the link in addition to the text is fine, but links (especially to the NY Times, I understand) can become broken (the material is moved) very quickly.

brianac
November 7th, 2007, 10:28 AM
OK I'll try to do better.

lofter1
November 7th, 2007, 10:36 AM
Also, note that links to NY Times end with "login" so not sure if they work for everyone.

JCMAN320
November 14th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Tolls at Hudson crossings will rise to $8, officials say

by Ron Marsico Tuesday November 13, 2007, 9:30 PM

Motorists using the Hudson River and Staten Island crossings will see tolls rise to $8 cash from $6, with E-ZPass discounts available only during off-peak hours, transportation officials familiar with the hikes said.

Base fares on the PATH rail system also will jump to $2 per trip from $1.50 currently, but riders can still pay $1.50 by purchasing a 20- or 40-ride discount ticket. PATH riders who use the discount tickets now pay $1.20 per ride.

The toll and fare increases are part of finalized plans scheduled to be unveiled Thursday by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, said the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the plan has not yet been presented publicly to the agency's board of commissioners. That session is set for Thursday's monthly meeting at 2 p.m. at the agency's Manhattan headquarters.

The increases are expected to take effect early next year, the officials said.

Port Authority officials had debated increasing bridge and tunnel cash tolls by $3 in recent weeks, but settled on a $2 increase and other adjustments in recent days. The increases would be the first on the bi-state agency's crossings and rail line since 2001.

Eliminating the $1 E-ZPass discount during peak hours will enable the Port Authority to tout the package as an increased incentive for reducing congestion at its most-heavily traveled crossings, officials said. E-ZPass users who travel at non-peak hours will save $2 off the increase. Currently, there is only a $1 discount for E-ZPass off-peak travel.

Read the full story in Wednesday's Star-Ledger.

JCMAN320
December 17th, 2007, 03:25 PM
GROWING TRAINS
Proposal would add more rush hour PATH cars, lengthen stations

Monday, December 17, 2007
By KEN THORBOURNE
JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

To alleviate the rush-hour crunch at the PATH World Trade Center station, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey intends to increase the amount of cars per train on the Newark/WTC line - that is, provided a proposed increase in fares on Port Authority tunnels and bridges and the PATH goes through.

The promised improvements, which would include upgrades to two Jersey City PATH stations and a new station in Harrison, represents a $360 million budget item in the agency's proposed $29.5 billion 10-year capital improvement plan and would expand the number of cars on the rush-hour trains from seven to 10, Port Authority spokesman Mark Lavorgna said.

"We are always promoting the use of mass transit," Lavorgna said. "On that particular line we have overcrowding issues during the rush hours. This will provide a more comfortable commute and the ability to carry more people."

The additional cars would give the P.A. the capacity to transport roughly 5,400 more passengers per day, Lavorgna said.

To accommodate the longer trains, the platforms at Exchange Place and Grove Street PATH train stops in Jersey City would have to be extended and a new station would have to be built in Harrison, he said.

The $360 million price-tag is apart from the $500 million the P.A. is spending on a new fleet of cars, scheduled to start coming on-line next year.

One commuter, Mary Louise Mazak, of Bayonne, who uses the PATH to get to her job in Manhattan's financial district, called the plan "excellent."

"It will help me get back and forth more quickly," said Mazak, who was getting off the PATH at Grove Street Friday evening.

The timetable for increasing the number of cars along the Newark/WTC route is "years, not months," Lavorgna said.

The $29.5 billion capital spending plan includes $3 billion for the Hudson River Passenger Rail Tunnel, $3.3 billion to overhaul the PATH system, and $500 million for the expansion of Stewart Airport.

To pay for this plan, the P.A. has proposed increasing tunnel tolls from $6 to $8 and raising the PATH train fare from $1.50 to $2, although multiple ticket-buyers would still be able to get the $1.50 fare.

millertime83
February 24th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Newsday.com

Free PATH trips Monday to mark commuter rail system's centennial

The PATH commuter rail system is celebrating its 100th anniversary by giving passengers a reason to rejoice, too.

They can ride the cross-Hudson trains for free from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday.

The system carries an average of 227,000 passengers each weekday between Manhattan and northern New Jersey. Those numbers are expected to rise by 25 percent over the next decade.

Port Authority of New York & New Jersey officials say they plan to spend $3.3 billion to add and replace PATH train cars and modernize the system's 13 stations.

The system dates to February 1908, when it was run by the Hudson and Manhattan Railroad. The Port Authority took it over in 1962.

lammius
February 25th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Flyer I received at Journal Square this morning:

DON'T MISS OUT ON A FREE SMARTLINK CARD.

We're celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Hudson & Manhattan Railroad. to commemorate this milestone, The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is giving FREE SmartLink Cards to the first 50,000 customers who apply between February 25 and 11:59 PM March 7, 2008. Just go to www.panynj.info/path (http://www.panynj.info/path), click the H&M 100th Anniversary SmartLink Card Offer button, and complete the online application form.*

*Limit one SmartLink Card per applicant.

Of course the flyer went on to describe the new fleet of cars, new signal system, and how hard PATH is working for a better and happier future.

But yeah, cool stuff. If you don't have SmartLink already and want to get one for free (the regular $5 charge for the card waived), sign on and do it now!

brianac
February 26th, 2008, 04:55 AM
It Went by in a Blur: PATH’s 100th

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/02/26/nyregion/26path.600.jpg Ruth Fremson/The New York Times
A PATH train arriving at 33rd Street in Manhattan.

By DAVID W. DUNLAP (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/d/david_w_dunlap/index.html?inline=nyt-per)
Published: February 26, 2008

You couldn’t miss the 100th anniversary of the New York City subway in 2004. There were speeches, banners, slogans, displays, events and a shelf full of books to mark the milestone for posterity: “Subways,” “A Century of Subways,” “Subwayland,” “Subway Memoirs,” “The Subway Pictures,” “Subway Style,” “The Subway and the City.”
Multimedia

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/02/24/nyregion/25hm.190.jpgSlide Show (http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/02/24/nyregion/20080225_HM_SLIDESHOW_index.html)The PATH Turns 100 (http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/02/24/nyregion/20080225_HM_SLIDESHOW_index.html)
But you might easily have missed the centenary of New York’s other subway on Monday.

PATH? One hundred years old?

Riders, who were given a free pass from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. in honor of the anniversary, were sometimes hard-pressed to explain their momentary good fortune. Even long memories do not reach too much farther back than 1962, when the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/p/port_authority_of_new_york_and_new_jersey/index.html?inline=nyt-org) took over the ailing railroad.

“I didn’t know it was its 100th anniversary until you told me,” said Oveta Clinton, 34, of West New York, N.J., as she waited in Newark to board a train for Exchange Place in Jersey City.

What Ms. Clinton definitely did notice was that the late-morning train was far more crowded than usual; standing room only, in fact. “This is never like this,” she said as she settled in with her coffee and newspaper. “This is like 8-in-the-morning rush hour.”

Typically, PATH, the Port Authority Trans-Hudson Corporation — né Hudson & Manhattan Railroad Company — carries 240,000 passengers daily under the Hudson River with none of the celebrity or notoriety of its 104-year-old cousin (though New Yorkers have been known to use PATH during subway strikes to get around Manhattan.)

Like the subway, PATH runs around the clock. But it serves only 13 stations, and New York City Transit (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/n/new_york_city_transit/index.html?inline=nyt-org) has 468.

So far as is known, Duke Ellington (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/e/duke_ellington/index.html?inline=nyt-per) never performed “Take the JSQ Train.” Nor is it known that Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/michael_r_bloomberg/index.html?inline=nyt-per) has been spotted on a PATH train since last April. And all that “H & M” conjures in most minds is a Swedish retailer.

But there was a day — Feb. 25, 1908, to be precise — when President Theodore Roosevelt (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/r/theodore_roosevelt/index.html?inline=nyt-per) could say that the H & M had the “greatest subaqueous tunnel in the world” and was a “bigger undertaking than any Alpine tunnel which has yet been constructed.”

The New York Times went so far on opening day as to call the Hudson & Manhattan Railroad “one of the greatest engineering feats that has ever been accomplished, greater perhaps than the Panama Canal will be when completed.”

The tunneling had begun a quarter century earlier, under DeWitt Clinton Haskin. The project stopped and started and stopped again, plagued by litigation and bankruptcy, until William G. McAdoo took over.

McAdoo was not just the president of the H & M but a figure so synonymous with the system that passengers often spoke simply of riding the “McAdoo Tubes.”

President Roosevelt (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/r/franklin_delano_roosevelt/index.html?inline=nyt-per) inaugurated the railroad by pressing a button in his White House office that turned on the electric current in the tunnel. At 3:40:30 p.m., a ceremonial train pulled out of the temporary Manhattan terminus at Sixth Avenue and 19th Street, headed for Hoboken.

The governors of New Jersey (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/national/usstatesterritoriesandpossessions/newjersey/index.html?inline=nyt-geo) and New York squeezed aboard with other dignitaries. Cornelius Vanderbilt, the commodore’s great-grandson, found himself in the unusual position of being just another crushed commuter, but professed, “I would rather ride under the Hudson today hanging to a strap than ride to Albany in a private car.”

The train reached Hoboken at 3:51. A crowd of 10,000 gathered outside to cheer the arriving passengers. “The natural barrier which has separated New York from New Jersey since those States came into existence was, figuratively speaking, wiped away,” The Times proclaimed.

The palmy days did not last long, however. The railroad, which had put many Hudson River ferryboats out of business, was undermined in turn by the automobile. Its busiest year was 1927, when it carried 113,141,729 passengers. In other news that year, the Holland Tunnel opened.

By the 1950s, the railroad was bankrupt. The Port Authority was persuaded to take it over in 1962 as part of the intricate negotiating in the development of the World Trade Center. In fact, the twin towers rose where the railroad’s enormous Hudson Terminal complex once stood, with two massive office buildings that were almost identical.

On this site, PATH commuters are eventually to arrive in an architectural marvel that may go a long way — at least symbolically — toward curing any inferiority they may feel about their subway system. The Port Authority has begun building a $2.2 billion World Trade Center transportation hub and PATH terminal, designed by Santiago Calatrava (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/c/santiago_calatrava/index.html?inline=nyt-per), a celebrated architect and engineer. It is to open in 2011.

Even earlier, new cars will start coming into service, to replace PATH’s aging fleet, most of which dates from the mid-60s to the 1970s. Anthony R. Coscia, the chairman of the authority, said a total of $3.3 billion was being invested in the expansion and modernization of PATH.

PATH also has advertising inside its tunnels. Working on the principle of the 19th-century zoetrope toy, which created the illusion of motion, a company called Submedia has installed a series of illuminated panels with static images on tunnel walls. These blur into a continuous image, what the company calls “a motion picture outside of the train’s windows.”

On her way to Exchange Place, Ms. Clinton, who is an editorial assistant, allowed that she liked watching those ads. “That’s very cool,” she said. “You don’t have that in New York.”
Another thing PATH has that New York City Transit does not is a $1.50 fare. That will rise to $1.75 on March 2, though it will still be cheaper than the basic $2 subway fare, so a frugal commuter traveling between Greenwich Village and Midtown can still save a quarter by using PATH instead of the No. 1 train.

On Monday morning, however, a PATH employee with a megaphone urged hesitant commuters to push through the turnstiles at the World Trade Center station. “Free rides today, folks,” he said. “Free rides. Through the turnstile. Any turnstile.”

Dr. Eric L. Altschuler, 39, slipped through one of the freely spinning turnstiles, unaware of the centenary and actually a bit leery about a free ride. For two and a half years, he has commuted from Manhattan to Newark, where he is an assistant professor of physical medicine and rehabilitation at the University Hospital.

“Frankly, unusual things can happen on the trains,” he explained. “I’m a typical New Yorker. I wanted to make sure it wasn’t a ruse.”

Once assured that it was purely celebratory, Dr. Altschuler seemed pleased to learn that it was PATH’s 100th anniversary and threw in a bit of praise, likening the system to its big-city relation. “Everybody rides the PATH trains,” he said. “It’s a whole other world, but it’s not a museum. It’s alive.”

When the H & M opened, the scheduled time between Hoboken and 19th Street, in the heart of the Ladies’ Mile shopping district, was 12 minutes. On Friday, this reporter was spirited from Hoboken to 19th Street, having made three intermediate stops, in only 11 minutes. But he could not get off at 19th. That station was abandoned by the financially ailing company in 1954.

If one looks carefully and does not blink, the stout columns and vaulted ceilings of the 19th Street passenger platform can still be seen as the train passes through. It is a tantalizing reminder of a moment long ago when the PATH system and the Panama Canal could be mentioned in the same breath.

Copyright 2008 The New York Times Company.

JCMAN320
February 29th, 2008, 05:45 PM
PATH fares, bridge and tunnel tolls rise this weekend

by The Associated Press Friday February 29, 2008, 4:17 PM

Commuters can expect to shell out more money to move in most directions starting this weekend as Port Authority toll and fare increases take effect.

Starting Sunday, peak tolls are going from $6 to $8 for motorists who drive into New York. PATH riders will pay 25 cents more for one-way trips.

The Port Authority passed the increases in January -- the first fare hikes since 2001 -- and will now generate a total of about $1 billion annually on the crossings.

The agency has said the increases will help fund a 10-year, $30 billion capital improvement plan that includes $8.4 billion to rebuild the World Trade Center. The money will also help pay for a new commuter rail tunnel under the Hudson River and PATH improvements.

While commuters would prefer not to pay an increase, some say they don't mind if they know it will improve their ride.

"If it betters the service, then I'm all for it," said PATH rider Denise Gordon, 48, from Union. "Everything goes up so we have to go with it."

Alain Japhet, 61, said he likes the idea that money will improve public transportation and encourage cars to get off the road.

"One effect this will have is to probably reduce traffic, which is a good thing," said Japhet, an engineer from South Orange. "No matter how much tolls are, there are still people who drive into the city."

New York City subway and bus riders will also experience their own fare increase on Sunday for unlimited ride fare cards.

Pay-per-ride MetroCards will go up slightly, with the cost per ride going from $1.67 to $1.74. Monthly passes will go from $76 to $81, and weekly passes go up $1 to $25.

"I'm getting hit everywhere. It's tough," said Michelle Kimball, 37, an attorney from Verona who works in lower Manhattan.

Average 4 percent increases go into effect tomorrow on Metro-North and Long Island Rail Road commuter trains, with some one-way peak fares going up 25 cents. And tolls on the MTA-run bridges and tunnels in the city go up later in March, ranging from 25-cent increases on the Marine Parkway-Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge to a $1 hike on the Verrazano Narrows.

The increases are meant to thin traffic and encourage commuters to use mass transit.

JCMAN320
March 9th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Absence of trash cans makes for messy PATH

by Amy Sara Clark Sunday March 09, 2008, 1:14 PM

Each day Jersey City attorney C.J. Kim buys her coffee near her Lower East Side apartment, drinks it on the train and then holds the empty cup until she hits the street at Exchange Place.

She's not alone. Since Port Authority got rid of its trash cans after 9/11 citing security reasons, PATH riders have faced the choice between holding their garbage until they leave the station or tossing it on the ground. littering. Most take the high road, but enough don't that a train car full of litter has become a familiar sight.

There's a lot of newspaper and trash because there's nowhere to throw it away," said Kim.

""It's very dirty," said Klaus Wiegner, 41, a Jersey City accountant who commutes from Manhattan. "Even people who want to (properly) throw stuff away have to hold onto it until they leave the station. It's very annoying."

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey removed the cans from PATH platforms to prevent would-be attackers from hiding bombs in them, said Michael De Pallo, PATH's director and general manager. "It's a safety issue," he said. "We're erring on the side of caution."

De Pallo said clear or mesh cans -- an idea proposed by several riders -- wouldn't work since the trash itself would hide the bomb. "We haven't found a trash can we're comfortable with, but if new technology comes out, we'll consider it," he said.

Hidden explosives are also a concern in the subways, but New York City transit opted to keep the cans.

"You want to have customers to have somewhere to put their trash," said Charles Seaton, spokesman for New York City Transit. "There is a balance between customer needs and security." He added that without the cans, more trash would end up on the tracks and in drains, causing fires and flooding.

The Port Authority addresses that concern by hiring workers to pick up the litter, but officials said they couldn't break down how much that service costs, since those workers also perform other jobs.

Perhaps because of those workers, many riders said that overall the PATH is still cleaner than the subway -- although others cited the reverse.

One rider caught littering at the Hoboken Station said emphatically she would had thrown the newspaper out had there been a trash can nearby.

jersey_guy
March 9th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Perhaps a $100 ticket would make Ms. Kim notice the huge posters in every single PATH car that clearly state that eating and drinking in PATH is illegal. I am disappointed that PAPD doesn't do periodic ticket blitzes for violating this law because they would have made a bundle, at least the first 20 times around or so.

lammius
March 9th, 2008, 11:06 PM
Perhaps a $100 ticket would make Ms. Kim notice the huge posters in every single PATH car that clearly state that eating and drinking in PATH is illegal. I am disappointed that PAPD doesn't do periodic ticket blitzes for violating this law because they would have made a bundle, at least the first 20 times around or so.

No kidding. The guy I see sit down (or lean on the wall) on the train and open up an entire McD's breakfast combo meal every morning should get the first citation.

The posters all over the stations and trains, and the announcement made by the guy who sounds like Grandpa from the Munsters saying, "Smoking, eating, drinking and carrying open food containers on trains and in station areas is strictly prohibited. thank you for keeping the PATH system clean, secure, and reloyable (CLICK)" should be enough of an indication.

mariab
November 27th, 2011, 10:34 PM
No wonder they had to raise tolls.

Port Authority salaries climbed $5 million last year, despite job cuts
AAA slams spending as court fight over toll increase approaches

7:20 AM, Nov. 27, 2011 |
4Comments (http://wirednewyork.com/comments/article/20111127/NJNEWS/311270035/Port-Authority-salaries-climbed-5-million-last-year-despite-job-cuts)

http://cmsimg.mycentraljersey.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=CN&Date=20111127&Category=NJNEWS&ArtNo=311270035&Ref=AR&MaxW=640&Border=0&Port-Authority-salaries-climbed-5-million-last-year-despite-job-cuts Purchase Image (http://javascript<strong></strong>:void(null);) Cars approach the Jersey City entrance to the Holland Tunnel, one of the Hudson River crossings at which tolls have been increased. / LARRY HIGGS/STAFF PHOTO

Written byLarry Higgs | Staff Writer

Visit www.DataUniverse.com (http://www.datauniverse.com/) and click on “What’s New” for an interactive database of Port Authority salaries and overtime.

NEW YORK — A Port Authority police lieutenant was the agency’s sixth-highest paid employee in 2010 at $236,564, earning more than the superintendent of police and the two deputy chiefs to whom he reports, thanks to $112,466 in overtime last year.
Three Port Authority police lieutenants and four sergeants outearned Superintendent of Police Michael Fedorko’s $215,098 because of overtime pay, according to Port Authority salary records. Two deputy chiefs who earn $157,558 each also were left in the fiscal dust by the seven officers’ total pay for 2010.
An examination of salary and overtime records for 2010 and 2009 obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request showed that the authority, which increased tolls and PATH train fares this fall, spent $5 million more on salaries in 2010 than it did in 2009. This happened despite boasts by authority officials that the agency trimmed its work force as a cost-cutting measure.

Representatives of motorist groups said the salary increases weren’t fair after recently approved bridge and tunnel toll hikes and PATH fare increases.
“In the midst of their crying poor mouth and having to implement toll hikes, we see a rise in salaries. It’s incongruous,” said Robert Sinclair Jr, spokesman for the AAA New York clubs, which filed suit in federal court with the AAA clubs of North Jersey to have the toll increases overturned. “They’re supposed to be watching the purse strings and they’re in the midst of socking it to drivers and rewarding themselves.”
The bi-state AAA clubs will be in federal court in Manhattan on Thursday, making oral arguments in seeking a court order to overturn the toll hikes, Sinclair said.
In 2010, the agency spent $581,312,249 on regular salaries, about $5.18 million more than the $576,133,632, spent in 2009. The agency did reduce overtime costs in 2010, saving about $3.09 million from the $88,560,071 in overtime paid in 2009. The Port Authority paid $85,467,479 in overtime in 2010.
But the overall payroll, counting overtime and regular salaries, was about $2.09 million higher in 2010 at $666,779,728, compared with the $664,693,703 paid to employees in 2009. Despite paying more money, Port Authority figures show agency shed 104 jobs between 2009 and 2010.

(Page 2 of 3)

Those figures do not include payouts made to employees for unused sick or vacation time or other bonuses.
“The Port Authority continues to review salaries, overtime costs and ways to reduce expenses to make sure we value every dollar we collect from our toll payers,” said Steve Coleman, Port Authority spokesman.
New overtime measures are in place at the authority for the 2012 budget year that require more documentation and quality-control reviews to ensure compliance, Coleman said in a email. An ongoing agency-wide review also will address overtime as part of a focus on compensation and benefits, he said.
Some of the salary increases are due to raises mandated in existing or expired union contracts, Coleman said, adding that some workers did not receive raises in 2010 and 2011.
“The retirement of many high-ranking staff members last year, who left under a New York incentive program, required promotions of existing personnel to those slots, which came with salary increases,” he said.
Driver advocates said news of the salary increases and overtime costs comes as motorists struggle with the economic downturn and pay higher tolls.
“It is the motorists who are hardest hit from the economy, and the (toll) increase only adds to that burden,” said Tracy Noble, spokeswoman for AAA MidAtlantic. “When Port Authority salary data is brought to light, it is a proverbial slap in the face to the motorists and truckers who are already struggling to pay these increased costs, but do not see the benefit of necessary infrastructure improvements.”
The highest overtime earners by and large were Port Authority police officers, followed by other unionized employees.
A PATH car-equipment foreman who has been on the job since September 1974 saw his $103,043 overtime pay outstrip his $93,598 salary for a total of $196,641.
Behind him was another PATH car-equipment foreman who was hired in December 1980 and earned a total of $189,193 last year, which included $94,699 in overtime, more than his $94,494 salary.
(Page 3 of 3)

A chief maintenance supervisor in the aviation department, hired in April 1982, augmented his $110,006 salary with $56,952 in overtime for a total of $166,958 last year.
The nonunion worker who earned the most overtime in 2010 was a senior materials inspector supervisor who boosted his $109,616 salary with $50,315 earned in overtime for a total payday of $159,931, records showed.
Factors that drove overtime, especially in the police department, were tied to specific incidents in 2010, such as the 2010 Christmas blizzard, terrorist threats or incidents that required heightened security at Port Authority facilities, Coleman said. However, the authority is enhancing “existing controls” on police overtime.
“Effective in the 2012 budget, department heads are required to include supporting documentation and justification for overtime hours for each job title,” he said.
The salary revelation comes as the agency is undergoing a budgetary review ordered by New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo in the wake of the toll and fare hikes that were approved in August and hit metro area commuters in mid-September. An auditor to do that work was hired at the Nov. 15 board meeting.

In August, the Port Authority board passed a modified toll and fare increase plan after Christie and Cuomo threatened the authority with a veto of the plan and proposed phasing in the hikes instead of taking them all at once.
As a condition for the fare and toll increases, the governors directed the Port Authority to do an audit of the bi-state agency’s 10-year-capital plan and to review its management and operations to find ways to cut costs and find other efficiencies, said Michael Drewniak, Gov. Christie’s spokesman.
“The governors have been emphatic that the Port Authority must maximize resources and cut out fat or abuses to improve the way it does business and delivers services to the public,” Drewniak said. “We look forward to seeing the audit results.”
Both AAA representatives said the Port Authority needs to return to its core mission as a transportation agency and get out of the real estate business, a reference to the spiraling cost increases for redeveloping the World Trade Center site.

“In their most recent report, there is a bar graph of money spent on the World Trade Center,” Sinclair said. “It towers over all the others, bridges and tunnels, ports, airports and PATH, they they’re supposed to be taking care of.”
Noble cited a recent AAA survey that said drivers were willing to pay “increased transportation costs … only if they were dedicated to infrastructure needs and carried out in a transparent accountable manner.”
In approving the toll and PATH fare increases, Port Authority officials recited a laundry list of projects to be funded in its $25 billion, 10-year, capital plan, including new cables for the George Washington Bridge, rehabilitating the “helix” approach to the Lincoln Tunnel and finishing the replacement of the aging PATH rail car fleet.
“It was very clear in the poll data that New Jersey commuters do not trust that the money they pay through gas taxes, tolls, or transit fares actually make their commute better or safer,” Noble said.

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20111127/NJNEWS/311270035/Port-Authority-salaries-climbed-5-million-last-year-despite-job-cuts

Nexis4Jersey
November 28th, 2011, 12:39 AM
They don't hire much for the PATH , but they sure do be pay good....its a shame too... I really wanted to work as a conductor but they only hire 10-20 a year and its internal hiring or upgrading mostly. Unlike the subway or NJT....which i'm now waiting to hear back from...

mariab
November 28th, 2011, 11:22 PM
^Good luck, hope you get it.

STT757
March 9th, 2012, 12:48 PM
[b]Port Authority to replace Goethals Bridge, raise roadbed of Bayonne Bridge, simultaneously]/b]
Published: Friday, March 09, 2012, 7:45 AM

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey hopes to soon do something it hasn’t done in more than 80 years.

"For the first time since 1931, the Port Authority is going to build two bridges at the same time," Bill Baroni, the agency’s deputy executive director, told members of the Commerce and Industry Association of New Jersey Thursday.

The agency will be simultaneously raising the roadbed of the Bayonne Bridge — to boost clearance for container ships while replacing the entire aging and congested Goethals Bridge. The Bayonne Bridge raising is projected to cost $1 billion, while replacing the Goethals, a public-private partnership, would be $1.5 billion.

And these are just two of the projects that Baroni said would generate 16,500 construction jobs in coming years.

Other projects he noted include replacement of the George Washington Bridge suspension cables, for nearly $1 billion; a $500 million private expansion of the Port Newark Container Terminal; a $183 million renovation and expansion of the George Washington Bridge Bus Terminal; and a $139 million rehabilitation of the Lincoln Tunnel Helix.

"There is no other entity, private or public, anywhere in New Jersey, investing more in the next few years, in infrastructure and capital projects, than the Port Authority," said Baroni. "Over the next three years, we will begin more than $7 billion in public and private capital projects."

Conspicuously absent from Baroni’s remarks was any mention of last summer’s record toll hike that will help pay for some of those projects.

Likewise, none of 100 attendees of the industry association’s Executives and Officers Breakfast at the Hasbrouck Heights Hilton asked about the toll hike. The hike generated controversy over its size — an increase as much as 50 percent when paying cash — its one-day public hearing process, and it rationale.

Baroni’s friendly reception by the group was not surprising. Association members include some of the biggest names in the state’s construction industry, including some who stand to gain from the projects Baroni talked about. The CEO of J. Fletcher Creamer & Son of Hackensack, J. Fletcher Creamer Jr., a longtime friend of Baroni’s, said his firm hopes to take part in the Goethals project.

Still, the association’s chairman, Louis Weiss, said he was surprised that no one questioned Baroni on the toll hike.
baroni-graphici.jpgView full size

"That’s something that I thought was going to be asked," said Weiss, CEO of Hackensack-based WFM Project & Construction, a consulting firm.

The hike raised peak-hour tolls for passenger vehicles from $8 to $9.50 for E-ZPass users and $12 for cash customers, rising to $12.50 and $15, respectively, by December 2015. For trucks, the toll rose $2 per axle, and will rise by an additional $2 per axle each year through 2015, for E-ZPass Truckers.

Gail Toth, executive director of the New Jersey Motor Truck Association, said the hike hurt some of her members’ businesses and was likely to drive up consumer prices. Still, Toth could understand how businesses that don’t rely on interstate travel might not have a problem with the toll hike.

"It’s very possible that if they’re New Jersey-domiciled businesses they don’t feel it," she said.

In 1931 the Port Authority was working on both the George Washington Bridge, which opened Oct. 24, and the Bayonne Bridge, which opened Nov. 15. The Goethals Bridge opened in June 1928.

http://media.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/photo/baroni-graphicijpg-18227ea11a420a5b.jpg

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/03/port_authority_to_replace_goet.html

vanshnookenraggen
March 9th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Im curious to see the new design. I interned at the PANYNJ a few summers ago and got to check out the model making room with all the various designs being proposed. There was some cool concepts there.

Malcontent
April 23rd, 2012, 11:32 PM
Does anyone know what they are building at Newark airport next to terminal C? It appears to be some type of building.

Don31
May 11th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Does anyone know what they are building at Newark airport next to terminal C? It appears to be some type of building.

I drive past it every day. I'll find out for you next week.

STT757
May 12th, 2012, 09:41 AM

It's connected to the Terminal C FIS, Federal Inspection station for International arrivals. I'm guessing it's an expansion of United's International arrivals facility, it's pretty big.

Malcontent
May 12th, 2012, 06:44 PM
It's connected to the Terminal C FIS, Federal Inspection station for International arrivals. I'm guessing it's an expansion of United's International arrivals facility, it's pretty big.

That's great news. I was hoping it was going to be 'C4'. I heard they might also add a second level international arrivals corridor to C2 that would lead to the FIS.

Malcontent
May 12th, 2012, 06:44 PM
I drive past it every day. I'll find out for you next week.

Thanks

Don31
May 14th, 2012, 11:10 AM

Its going to be a Continental baggage facility.