PDA

View Full Version : You know you're a native New Yorker if...

deezee
December 27th, 2005, 11:19 AM
you know you’re a native/old new yorker if you
can remember :

1) that a transit stike was not a new occurrance for you but a bad memory of ones that occurred a whole lot more than once every 25 years and lasted a whole lot longer.
2) that tokens were never this price:
a-.15 b-.20 c-.25 d-.30 e-.35
3) when people actually rioted/jumped the turnstiles over these 5 cent price raises.
4) when 5th avenue was a 2 way street, stores weren’t open on sundays and you could literally ride your bike up/down the middle of 5th avenue on sunday mornings because there was so little traffic on that day.
5) the first “be-in” in central park on easter sunday 1967.
6) what department store sat on union square
7) when you were routinely berated by the resident inmates whenever passing the woman’s house of detention at greenwich and 6th ave
8) when abercrombie and fitch was only a men’s store or a woman’s ski shop on madison.
9) hanging out at: the cheetah, steve paul’s “the scene”,D.O.M., electric circus, max’s kansas city, odeon or arthur (extra credit if you know who owned this and why it was called “arthur”).
10) you can name at least 10 department stores that no longer exist in nyc and where they were originally located.
11) when barney’s was a store where you or your “portly” brother got a cheap communion/bar-mitzvah suit.
12) the two names that preceeded the word “automat”.
13) the first earth day in april 1970 and the heady feeling of being able to walk down the middle of 5th avenue mid-day/mid-week without a parade about to begin.
14) when the museums were FREE.
15) waiting for them to post the new “vote for miss rheingold” poster in the subway so you could pick out the prettiest/ugliest contestant or use it as a canvas for creativity.
16) visiting the "guernica" at MOMA and being constantly warned that it might be leaving one day. it did.
17) the smell of the silvercup bread baking before the factory became studios.
18) that e. j. korvettes had a great record department back when department stores actually had departments.
19) when the real nyc power belonged not to any mayor but to robert moses. his dominance was finally ended by jane jacobs and a group of outraged villagers when he proposed his canal street highway project.
20) when fred leighton was an importer of mexican dresses and goods with a store on macdougal street, not a jeweler to the stars.
21)any or all of the following:
luncheonettes
free summer concerts at lewisohn stadium.
schaeffer’s $2 concerts at wollman’s skating rink.
azuma ( the pre-cursor of pottery barn)
the 8th street bookstore
the gallery of modern art (aka the huntington hartford) at columbus circle.
life before starbucks AKA chock full of nuts

feel free to add yours.

stache
December 27th, 2005, 05:33 PM
2 - e (guess)
6 - Klein's
8 - I remember it fom Chicago -
12- Horn & Hardart (Who here remembers their slogan/song?)
16 and I'm glad I did.

There are still a few luncheonettes if you look carefully.
Chock Full 'o Nuts were so trashy!
I liked the Woolworth counters -

I still mix up BMT & IRT. IND is easier because it's '30's.

deezee
December 29th, 2005, 10:55 AM
i didn't really mean it as a test. i was just hoping to jar some old memories. for the ones that were questions, here are the answers.
2-around 1969/70 tokens went directly from .20 to .30 and people went ballistic. there was a day or 2 when people revolted and many refused to ride the trains. everyone was jumping the turnstiles. over a dime! and that .30 fare lasted about 6 months, at the longest a year, then went immediately to .35.
10- this question was included because a friend and i were talking about all the stores we used to shop as kids. i hadn't really thought about just how many department stores are now long gone. so we complied this list. i'm sure there are more:
bonwit teller..... 5th and 57th (s.e. corner)
b.altman....5th and 34th
best and co......5th and 51st
gimbels...(as anyone who’s seen “miracle on 34th street” knows) across the street from macy’s at 33rd and broadway
stern brothers....west 42nd between 5th and 6th
ohrbachs...34th at 5th
s. klein (on the square)..union square
e.j. korvettes..5th around 47th (48th?)
alexanders....(like gimbel’s to macy’s) across the street from bloomingdales. they even had a short lived rent-a-car department.
franklin simon.....34th between 5th and 6th.
i. miller..on 5th at 57th.

i liked woolworth's better too. but it was harder for someone to breathe down your neck while waiting to grab your stool at lunch-time at chock full of nuts. as long as you had a seat on the inside of the curve that is.

antinimby
December 29th, 2005, 12:46 PM
My earliest memories of NY goes back only to the 80's and even then it's only very vague.
Is the Woolworth you guys are talking about the one on 34th St. across from Macy's?
I think it had like 5 or 6 floors. I really miss those type of dept. stores.

stache
December 29th, 2005, 02:52 PM
I had completely forgotten that they had a whole floor that was a giant lunch counter -

deezee
December 30th, 2005, 11:31 AM
My earliest memories of NY goes back only to the 80's and even then it's only very vague.
Is the Woolworth you guys are talking about the one on 34th St. across from Macy's?
I think it had like 5 or 6 floors. I really miss those type of dept. stores.

yea, me too. woolworth's even had a record department. i bought my first 45 there as a kid. it used to be that department stores had everything from bolts of fabric in their sewing departments to tools to book sections.
that's been replaced by the huge chains like staples that take up whole blocks and never existed in the city before the 80's. you had to go to the local stationer or hardware guy for that stuff. i hated seeing all of that come in and replace "the little guy". the worst for me has to be the huge chain book stores. when the barnes and noble first opened on 8th and 6th, i went to the info counter and asked the young guy there where i could find william faulkner. his reply was literally "he doesn't work here". somewhere the 8th street bookstore was rolling over in it's collective grave.

ECTO-1
January 2nd, 2006, 12:28 AM
If you look for familiar locations in every NY-based movie.

If you curse your luck for seeing a Law & Order episode a month after you were at a locaiton they used.

You can point out that John Travolta literally traveled 20 blocks every time he turned a corner during montages in Saturday Night Fever.

You remember when White Castle was THE hang-out spot on 91st Street in Brooklyn.

When you watch old movies and see old stores in the scenery you can spout off how you remember them and what's there now.

Hof
May 10th, 2006, 01:42 PM
..at Penn Station...

Punzie
December 5th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Jimi Hendrix putzing 'round with his guitar at Washington Square.

The Fugs jammin' at Tompkins Square.

The Boomtown Rats... wherever people let 'em play.

Suzanne Vega hangin' on the lawn of Barnard College... before she discovered Tom's Diner.

Marksix
December 5th, 2006, 08:45 AM
you know you’re a native/old new yorker if you
can remember :

16) visiting the "guernica" at MOMA and being constantly warned that it might be leaving one day. it did.

feel free to add yours.

off topic I know but following US Secretary of State Colin Powell's presentation in 2003 to the UN Security Council on the US case against Iraq which "innacuracies" led to the war, he gave a press conference in an anti-chamber. At the last moment someone noticed that on the wall was a full size tapestry copy of "Geurnica". It was hastily covered up.

Make of this what you will....

deezee
April 27th, 2007, 11:29 AM
off topic I know but following US Secretary of State Colin Powell's presentation in 2003 to the UN Security Council on the US case against Iraq which "innacuracies" led to the war, he gave a press conference in an anti-chamber. At the last moment someone noticed that on the wall was a full size tapestry copy of "Geurnica". It was hastily covered up.

Make of this what you will....

wow...never heard this. how ironic. then again "covering up" seems to be the thing our present government trys to do abot everything these days.

to add to this topic
you know you're an old new yorker if you thought that the topic below "PS3" was about a grade school.

Gregory Tenenbaum
May 5th, 2007, 03:44 PM
You know you're a New Yorker (and watch Law and Order) if...

You hesitate to press the basement "B" button in the elevators for fear of the gloved hand that reaches in when the door opens.

You are afraid to go jogging in Central Park because the jogger always finds the body.

clubBR
May 6th, 2007, 05:34 AM
For everyone Born & Raised in Queens, NY

You fight with people from other states because they cant tell the difference between a brooklyn accent and a queens accent
You know how to take the train and bus anywhere
Your school has an equal amount of white kids, spanish kids, black kids and asian kids
Manhunt was the game when you were a kid
You eat pizza at least 5 times a week
its always "we dont look for trouble..trouble finds us"
You know the name of the guy at the deli and conversate with him daily
You curse ALOT
It's normal to go outside in your pajamas
Chilln on the porch is the only way to spend the afternoon
You own atleast one "School of Hard Knocks" T-shirt
The park is where it all goes down
If your female, your friends have never seen your real nails
You own at least one pair of jewelry with your name on it
You've gotten into several fights with people you dont even know
Your basketball always gets stolen from the driveway
Manhattan, Staten Island and the Bronx kids were always jealous of you on Brooklyn & Queens day
You go to Queens Center at least once a week
Your damn proud of all the Queens born rappers
Manhattan is called The City
You know at least one person whos in jail, a drug dealer or someone who owns a gun and you constantly remind people you got "connections"
You try to sell any hot thing on the street
You have owned a pair of UFO's
You smoke weed and buy a 40 the first thing you do when you get outta central
When the icecream man came you used to yell "yo stop!", run inside your house, and beg your mom for money or jump on the back of his truck
You use the word mad alot
You or someone you know knows John Gotti
You always see someone "doing it" in their car at the park
You're worst experience on the train was when you fell asleep and woke up at the Jamaica station
You consider LL Cool J the best rapper in the business
You consider Ridgewood a part of Brooklyn
At the club, you were the one either break dancing or standing around clapping
It's all about "DRAMA" for Queens kids
Getting a Hooker at Queensbridge only involves having $5 and a rubber
Two fair zones are considered the "good" neighborhoods
Queens Blvd. is a great place to witness a hit and run
When you say you're going to the "mall" you don't mean Queens Center you mean Roosevelt Field
If you went to Catholic H.S your graduating class went to Saint John's, and if you went to Public H.S they went to Baruch or Hunter College
You always know where you're going once you're on the GCP or LIE
The noises of airplanes and trucks put you to sleep
You think that the best pizzeria is the one you've been going to since you were little and nobody can tell you different
You know the difference between a Bodega and a Deli; The bodega's the one that sells you alcohol without ID at 4 AM
Corona Ice King has the best Italian ice in the world
Townsend Harris is the only public highschool where you're safe
You look forward to Bazaars because that's when you know summers around the corner and schools almost over.
There's at least 3 diners on every major blvd. in Queens
If you want to pretend you're in the "City" go to Astoria
We think that Brooklyn and Long Island are so far away
Everyone thinks their house is nicer than their next door neighbor
Never drive on Main Street, Flushing; Nobody knows how to drive there
You can't understand why they put that big Green Citibank building in Long Island City; it sticks out like a saw thumb
No matter where you live now, a Queens native will unleash his Queens accent when they're mad
Can't realize why we're the only borough that can't just write our
address as Queens, NY
Mets rule.
Everyone knows someone who knows someone else
You are proud not to be as ghetto as Brooklyn but not as stuck up as The Island.
All gas stations are run by Hindus
There are so many places to learn English yet the majority of people in Queens don't speak English.
The majority of kids who go clubbing are from Queens
Queens kids always seem to come out with trends before anyone else
Glendale consists of more dead people than alive
There is something always under construction in Queens
There could be three different neighborhoods within three different blocks
We are the biggest and most diverse borough of NYC
We know we're the best and thats all that matters

Front_Porch
October 5th, 2007, 05:05 PM
sadly number 54 is a "wait till next year" fact. :(

ali r.
{downtown broker}

pricedout
October 26th, 2007, 10:08 AM
This has really touched my nostalgia buttons. I know I'm dating myself a bit, but does anybody else here miss the Elvis booth at Exterminator Chili? Or how about their wall of collected postcards you passed heading toward the bathrooms. My favorite, not very pc but very funny, was the photo of a grim looking Amish family in the fields with the caption "The Amish at Work and Play."

Did anyone attend the auction for their memorabilia? I found out about it two days too late. I would've paid decent money for some of their things.

lorcar
November 15th, 2007, 09:36 AM
[found this, maybe you know...]

1.You say "the city" and expect everyone to know that this means Manhattan.

2.You have never been to the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building.

3.You can get into a four-hour argument about how to get from Columbus Circle to Battery Park at 3:30 on the Friday before a long weekend, but can't find Wisconsin on a map.

4.Hookers and the homeless are invisible.

5.The subway makes sense.

6.You believe that being able to swear at people in their own language makes you multi-lingual.

7.You've considered stabbing someone just for saying "The Big Apple".

8.The most frequently used part of your car is the horn.

9.You call an 8' x 10' plot of patchy grass a yard.

10.You consider Westchester "upstate".

11.You think Central Park is "nature."

12.You see nothing odd about the speed of an auctioneer's speaking.

13.You're paying $1,200 for a studio the size of a walk-in closet and you think it’s a "steal."

14.You've been to New Jersey twice and got hopelessly lost both times.

15.You pay more each month to park your car than most people in the U.S. pay in rent.

16.You haven't seen more than twelve stars in the night sky since you went away to camp as a kid.

17.You go to dinner at 9 and head out to the clubs when most Americans are heading to bed.

18.Your closet is filled with black clothes.

19.You haven't heard the sound of true absolute silence since the 80s, and when you did, it terrified you.

20.You pay $5 without blinking for a beer that cost the bar 28 cents.

21.You take fashion seriously.

22.Being truly alone makes you nervous.

23.You have 27 different menus next to your telephone.

24.Going to Brooklyn is considered a "road trip."

25.America west of the Hudson is still theoretical to you.

26.You've gotten jaywalking down to an art form.

27.You take a taxi to get to your health club to exercise.

28.Your idea of personal space is no one actually standing on your toes.

29.$50 worth of groceries fit in one paper bag.

30.You have a minimum of five "worst cab ride ever" stories.

31.You don't notice sirens anymore.

32.You live in a building with a larger population than most American towns.

33.Your doorman is Russian, your grocer is Korean your deli man is Israeli, your building super is Italian, your laundry guy is Chinese, your favorite bartender is Irish, your favorite diner owner is Greek, the watchseller on your corner is Senegalese, your last cabbie was Pakistani, your newsstand guy is Indian and your favorite falafel guy is Egyptian.

34.You're suspicious of strangers who are actually nice to you.

35.You secretly envy cabbies for their driving skills.

36.You think $7.00 to cross a bridge is a fair price.

37.Your door has more than three locks.

38.Your favorite movie has DeNiro in it.

39.You consider eye contact an act of overt aggression.

40.You run when you see a flashing "Do Not Walk" sign at the intersection.

41.You're 35 years old and don't have a driver's license.

42.You ride in a subway car with no air conditioning just because there are seats available.

43.You're willing to take in strange people as roommates simply to help pay the rent.

44.There is no North and South...

45.It's uptown or downtown.

46.When you're away from home, you miss "real" pizza and "real" bagels.

47.You know the differences between all the different Ray's Pizzas.

48.You're not in the least bit interested in going to Times Square on New Year's Eve.

49.Your internal clock is permanently set to know when Alternate Side of the Street parking regulations are in effect.

50.You know what a bodega is.

51.You know how to fold the New York Times in half, vertically, so that you can read it on the subway or bus without knocking off other passenger's hats.

52.Someone bumps into you, and you check for your wallet.....

53.You cringe at hearing people pronounce Houston St. like the city in Texas

54.Film crews on your block annoy you, not excite you.

55. People from other states cant tell a polar bear from a peanut, but they know you're from NY the second you open your mouth.

56. When you are able to make a right turn at a red light.. you think it's the best thing ever.

57. Rather than waiting safely on the sidewalk to cross the street, you wait inches away from speeding traffic waiting to cut through it.

58. Your local news is national news.

59. You walk a mile in 13 minutes and think that everything should be open 24/7.

60. You know who Dr. Z is...

61. You think you know better than everyone else in the world.. when in reality.. well.. you do.

62. Yellow light means speed up.

63. Red light means speed up because you know have that 1 second pause until the other light turns green.

64. Communicating with people on the road only takes one finger.

65. You order your dinner and have it delivered.. from the place across the street.

66. You cross the street on a greenlight, and if you get hit by a car you blame the driver for "not watching where they're going.

67. You can tell a gunshot from a firecracker and not get scared, but when you go to the burbs you get scared of hearing a cricket.

68. You know the lights above the skyscrapers is the closest thing we have to stars.

Ninjahedge
November 15th, 2007, 05:01 PM
[found this, maybe you know...]

2.You have never been to the Statue of Liberty or the Empire State Building.

Not since childhood! (Field trip!)

4.Hookers and the homeless are invisible.

They are now anyway.

5.The subway makes sense.

It does not make sense. It never made sense. It is just "invisible" now! ;)

9.You call an 8' x 10' plot of patchy grass a yard.

In-laws say it is so!

13.You're paying $1,200 for a studio the size of a walk-in closet and you think it’s a "steal."

$1200? What is that? Rent control???

15.You pay more each month to park your car than most people in the U.S. pay in rent.

$500 a month for a spot may SEEM like a lot, but c'mon! This is MANHATTAN!!! :rolleyes:

16.You haven't seen more than twelve stars in the night sky since you went away to camp as a kid.

It ain't just in Manhattan. Hoboken has 32 stars, and one of them blinks.

17.You go to dinner at 9 and head out to the clubs when most Americans are heading to bed.

:D Guilty!

19.You haven't heard the sound of true absolute silence since the 80s, and when you did, it terrified you.

That Paul Simon is terrifying!

20.You pay $5 without blinking for a beer that cost the bar 28 cents.

Correction. $7 for a beer that costs 50¢

23.You have 27 different menus next to your telephone.

You have 40 menus in the drawer next to the telephone. Half of them are to the same places, but with different prices (old/new)

26.You've gotten jaywalking down to an art form.

Way of life /= artform

27.You take a taxi to get to your health club to exercise.

I have seen this! (I used to have to, in the 'burbs, DRIVE to teh gym to exercise.... I always loved the people that were on the treadmills on a nice day! ;) )

29.$50 worth of groceries fit in one paper bag.

What is that, a half gallon of OJ, a weeks cold cuts and a copy of the Times?

36.You think $7.00 to cross a bridge is a fair price.

Only if you do not cross it yourself. If you do, then you believe it should be free because of your "taxes".

38.Your favorite movie has DeNiro in it.

ONE of your fav films has DeNiro. The others have Pachino, Brando, Peschi and Zelweiger.

40.You run when you see a flashing "Do Not Walk" sign at the intersection.

DNW = run!

46.When you're away from home, you miss "real" pizza and "real" bagels.

"Real" bagels and pizza anywhere else are "imported". California Pizza, DMML!

53.You cringe at hearing people pronounce Houston St. like the city in Texas

You spend 5 minutes wondering why they are both different, yet correct by some rule of pronunciation.

54.Film crews on your block annoy you, not excite you.

OMG! You are tempted to go to the food tent and start chowing down!

57. Rather than waiting safely on the sidewalk to cross the street, you wait inches away from speeding traffic waiting to cut through it.

Inches? Wuss.

60. You know who Dr. Z is...

ZIZMORE!!!!!!

Ahhhh!

PS - If you put all your replies within the "quote" it does not count your words!!! ;)

BTCG
December 31st, 2007, 11:30 AM
...you go to see "I am Legend"...and notice that some of the altered folk chasing Will Smith resemble your neighbors.

:D

deezee
January 2nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
for anyone who wasn't lucky enough to know the joy of of being a kid and getting to go to there or for those who might remember it fondly..

the automat

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL83/528604/4076882/296164100.jpg