PDA

View Full Version : scared

gerry
December 27th, 2005, 08:58 PM
hi! im a 20 year old irish man hoping to move to nyc in april but after reading some of the threads im scared of the cost of living and also how hard it is for people with top qualifications to get a job as i have never been to college i did do my leaving cert(graduated from high school) but im worried about not being able to get a job! i willing willing to do any job so long as it buys me food and pays the rent. also if anyone has information on the irsh cummunity in ny where is the main area they live and if like in ireland they look after their own? any help advice or information would be greatly appreciated thanks!

CMANDALA
December 28th, 2005, 08:35 AM
the irsh cummunity in ny where is the main area they live and if like in ireland they look after their own?

Woodside, Queens has a large Irish population. Yes, they look after their own.
Send me a PM for more info.

ddjiii
December 28th, 2005, 01:46 PM
I'm not Irish, but sometimes I think the Irish in NYC are more Irish (or more Irish-identified, anyway) than the Irish in Ireland. I went to a show in an Irish bar on St. Patrick's day once, and everyone was hollering IRA fight songs. Now that's scary!

More to your point, the cost of living is indeed scary, but there are lots of people who come to NYC and get jobs with no education at all and indeed no knowledge of English. I'd say give it a whirl, and welcome.

MrSpice
December 28th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Do you have a work permit so you can work in New York legally? If you come as a tourist, you can only work for cash and no benefits and no respectable company will hire you (lie major department store chain or Starbucks, for example). And, you will be competing with many poor immigrants, many from Mexico, willing to do pretty much anything for little. I don't think you can expect to move into any major city in the world without good skills and education and live a normal life. In any big congested city - be that New York, London or Paris - life is pretty expensive.

fioco
December 28th, 2005, 04:47 PM
You may find the following web sites helpful:
Emerald Isle Immigration Center of New York (http://www.eiic.org/)
Links to other Irish Immigration service agencies (http://www.eiic.org/links.htm)
The Irish Echo (online newspaper with classified ads) (http://www.irishecho.com/index.cfm)

There are many Irish on Long Island and throughout the region, so I recommend that you extend your search beyond NYC. If possible, set aside funds that can guarantee your return to Ireland if things don't work out as you are hoping. I admire your courage to discover a new land, as did my own ancestors when they fled the great famine. Good luck, Safe journeys, God's peace be with you.

stache
December 28th, 2005, 06:04 PM
You're probably going to have to share an apt. out in Queens or maybe the Bronx. Try to get a job waiting table. The tips can be good. Best of luck and have fun. :)

TLOZ Link5
December 30th, 2005, 09:45 PM
I'm not Irish, but sometimes I think the Irish in NYC are more Irish (or more Irish-identified, anyway) than the Irish in Ireland. I went to a show in an Irish bar on St. Patrick's day once, and everyone was hollering IRA fight songs. Now that's scary!

I'm of Irish descent on my mother's side, and it really appals me that many Irish-Americans actually support the IRA. I feel as if many of them really don't have much of an idea as to the history of the Troubles, the intricacies of the peace process and everything that led up to it, and the very fact that most people just want peace. The minorities that the IRA and Ian Paisley claim as followers are very far and in between.