PDA

View Full Version : Heating & Air Conditioning Jobs in NYC?

ironmike9110
January 6th, 2006, 06:55 PM
---------

stache
January 6th, 2006, 07:02 PM
You would need at least $40 an hour, probably more like $50.

antinimby
January 7th, 2006, 02:28 AM
I'm not in that field, so can't help you there but if you don't get any helpful suggestions here, try google. BTW, not everyone in Manhattan make those figures ^, so you'll do fine making less than that. Good luck!

slovakchlop
June 22nd, 2006, 09:57 AM
I would go for Stationary Engineering license... if you work in the field long enough and know someone you can even be in charge of an entire building in the city, and they make BIG money.

HVAC is part of what they need to know, the more licenses you have, the better

MrSpice
June 22nd, 2006, 10:35 AM
is new york a good city to be involved in heating & air conditioning? it seems like it would be because of the fact that their are so many building and businesses that something would always need to be fixed. i ask this because i am 17 and a senior in high school right now, and a trade school i intend on going too is only a 9 month course so that i would be ready to move and find a job in new york city sometime in summer 2007. Also, what would be good pay per hour if you wanted to have an apartment in manhatton (around midtown, mayb like hells kitchen) and have satellite tv, high speed internet, and be a member at a gym? thanx

You can look in Sunday New York Times to see whether these kinds of jobs are in demand and how much they pay (you can even call a couple of those companies and ask how much they would pay). I would think that you can make good money only with some kind license (someone suggested an Engineering license) that is not eay to get and a really good knowledge of those systems. If you're a licensed expert in any of the mechanical fields, you can do very well. But I would assume your starting salary will be low and a job without experience will be hard to get. You will probably start as a helper to a contractor and you will be happy if he pays you $8-10/hour.

MrSpice
June 22nd, 2006, 03:28 PM
Mods can delete this thread....this is almost 6 months old, ive changed my mind since then and am doing Business Admin., not HVAC.

What ******* brought this back up? J/K :)

That was definitely a bad idea on your part, because a general degree in Business Administration - unless you're A student at Columbia - is a total waste of time, IMHO. At least air conditioning/heating a real skill and a real job.

rknarr
June 22nd, 2006, 11:01 PM
You might want to consider majoring in a more specific business related field i.e. finance, invenstment banking, etc.

MrSpice
June 23rd, 2006, 10:08 AM
You might want to consider majoring in a more specific business related field i.e. finance, invenstment banking, etc.

That is true - those community colleges are a breeding ground for investment bankers :))

Ninjahedge
June 23rd, 2006, 11:04 AM
Spice, if you don't have anything constructive to say, could you bite it and keep quiet?

You are not helping this guy out in any way and while you may find it funny, it is insulting.

No harm may be intended, but you are still not helping him any!

rknarr
June 23rd, 2006, 06:15 PM
Spice,

You can major in finance in CC's and then transfer to a 4yr school and get an MBA. CC's are a good way to save $60k for the first 2 years of college.

Schadenfrau
June 23rd, 2006, 08:38 PM
Where exactly did you attend school that it's worthy of such boasting, MrSpice?