PDA

View Full Version : Shopping in New York

JLM
March 24th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Hi,

I was wondering what time stores are usually open until. I read that Soho has a lot of cool shops - can anyone tell me what the typical hours are in that area (and the Times Square area)?

Can anyone suggest areas that have clothing stores that are also open at night?

Thanks.
John

NYatKNIGHT
March 25th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Stores in Soho close anywhere between 5:00 and 10:00 or even later for some, it varies greatly. I'd say most of the bigger clothing and shoe stores are open until 9:00....ish? In Soho, The best bet for clothing and shoe stores that stay open the latest are mostly along Broadway between Bleecker St. and Canal St., and some more on Prince, Spring, and West Broadway. Who knows what time they open - not very early. T-shirt type shops are open very early and very late. I'm equally oblivious to Times Square store hours, sorry.

yyy
May 2nd, 2005, 12:28 AM
Hi,
I'm sorry if this has already been asked but I haven't seen such question in here.

Can you please recommend me of a good mall/shopping center in the New York area? I was wondering where is the best one. There are probably a lot but I want to know where locals do their shopping and where's the best place for tourists.

junglizt1210
May 2nd, 2005, 07:54 AM
Which areas do you mean? and what do you want to buy?

Theres a difference between the areas where the locals do their shopping and the areas tourist do their shopping.

There's a mall in Roosevelt Field (in Nassau) and one in Staten Island..... I don't actually know any in the Manhattan/Queens/Broolyn/Bronx area, LOL... there are probably closer ones.

There is a European style food market inside Grand Central if thats of any interest...

yyy
May 2nd, 2005, 09:34 AM
I don't really mind where - anywhere in NYC. I'm just looking for a place where you can find all sorts of stuff - fast food resturants, clothing, electronics and etc. Anybody knows where's the best place where I can find all this?

The mall in Roosevelt Field is great :) But I was wondering if there's something like this which is closer to the Manhattan/Queens/Broolyn/Bronx area.

ryan
May 2nd, 2005, 10:59 AM
soho

Schadenfrau
May 2nd, 2005, 11:23 AM
People who live in NYC don't really shop in malls. The Time Warner Center is as close as you're going to get.

Ryan's suggestion of Soho is spot on.

yyy
May 2nd, 2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks for you answers. I thought there are many other malls in NYC. The TWC seems too expensive for me... What is there in SoHo? Is there a mall in that area?

RandySavage
May 2nd, 2005, 11:58 AM
Fifth Ave and 57th street comprise the greatest (glitziest) shopping district on the face of this planet. Soho can be considered the planet's 2nd greatest shopping district. Consider both to be huge outdoor malls - the best in the world, at that.

Most "real" indoor malls in Manhattan aren't that great (with the exception of the Time Warner Center). Two that come to mind are 1) the Pier Mall in South Street Seaport and 2) the Manhattan Mall in Greeley Square.

SoHo has every type of shop you can imagine from an Apple megastore (with a cool glass staircase) to a Swiss Army shop to a brand new Bloomingdales. It is famous for its designer fashion boutiques.

kmistic
May 2nd, 2005, 11:58 AM
there is the Manhattan Mall!

http://a1595.g.akamai.net/7/1595/2000/b3df753cde38f1/www.manhattanmallny.com/mimages/drivingMap.gif

ryan
May 2nd, 2005, 12:06 PM
Mall stores are all over manhattan - another concentrated area is 5th ave in the 50's/Rockefeller Center.

Schadenfrau
May 2nd, 2005, 12:33 PM
YYY, are you just looking to get some shopping done? If so, you'd be better off doing it on the streets and not in a mall. Unlike many places, New York City has retail stores in almost every neighborhood. There's no reason to make a mall your destination.

yyy
May 2nd, 2005, 04:16 PM
Thank you all for your replies :) I didn't know that the best places to shop in NY are outdoors. I think I visited the Manhattan Mall on my last visit to NY. That's a nice one. But I couldn't find the Pier Mall.
Thanks for your suggestions again.

drikc_80
September 14th, 2005, 02:55 AM
Hello,
I'm french and I play american football in france and i would like to have some adress to where i could find footballwear.
Thanks so much......

redhot00
September 14th, 2005, 05:51 AM
Are you coming to NY, or do you want to purchase gear online?

lofter1
September 14th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Modell's has at least 3 stores in Manhattan; you can also shop online.

Go Here: http://www.modells.com/home/index.jsp

http://mod.imageg.net/images/home/Mod_Aspot_090705.jpg (http://www.modells.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=716563)

redhot00
September 14th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Paragon Sports on 18th and B'way is another favorite. As far as Modell's, in my opinion, the one at Herald Square is the best.

NewYorkYankee
September 25th, 2005, 04:24 PM
Ive only been in the one at Times Square.

chipstick10
October 14th, 2005, 01:23 PM
I understand a big new store is to open on 5th ave soon does anyone know when? Also i am bitterly dissapointed to find out (do not know if info is correct) that there is no kids store in manhatten at all. I am visiting soon and so much wanted to buy my kids some of the lovely clothes this season. Any ideas. Was thinking of ordering it on line and asking for it to be delivered to a branch in Manhatten or my hotel, do you think this would be poss. They are not very helpful on line:(

chipstick10
October 14th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Doing a very short shopping trip near christmas (see abercrombie thread) can someone please tell me the best places to shop for clothes in particular etnies, converse, atticus. I have also been told to look out for shopping outlets. Please can someone tell me if there are any good ones in manhatten.?:confused: :)

ZippyTheChimp
October 14th, 2005, 03:44 PM
Merged threads

lofter1
October 14th, 2005, 07:22 PM
For kids shopping try this site and take a look a around: http://www.gocitykids.com/?area=197

For Etnies and other great shoes: http://www.blades.com/home/index.jsp

ryan
October 15th, 2005, 12:43 AM
I know there's a big Best Buy opening on 5th in the 40's, though I wouldn't get too excited about it.

Manhattan actually has a lot of kid's stores - clothes and toys. I don't have specifics (sorry) but the west village has lots of expensive boutiques full of painfully cute clothes. I'm a terrible uncle for not buying more. My favorite toy store is the little place on Christopher @ Gay.

sweetgirl
October 23rd, 2005, 08:49 PM
I really think its not worth to spend like $20 or even $30 on a belt or necklace. Can anyone recommend me of good places/areas or stores that I can find nice and not too expensive accessories and jewelry?Thanks!:p

ablarc
October 23rd, 2005, 09:03 PM
The sidewalk.
That's where my wife shops when in New York. Lots of good stuff at bargain prices.

sweetgirl
October 23rd, 2005, 09:38 PM
Can u please tell me when the sidewalk is?:confused:

lofter1
October 23rd, 2005, 09:50 PM
SoHo is filled with tables on the sidewalks selling everything.

Also H&M is dirt cheap.

ablarc
October 24th, 2005, 08:37 AM
I mean the plain old sidewalk. Theres stands and people all over.
You could say the sidewalk migrates. Sundays, Fifth Avenue's good above 59th Street; you'll find stands wherever there are lots of people: 34th Street, Broadway, Times Square, Downtown.

These stands set up in seconds, some out of suitcases, some on a cloth on the pavement, African style. They evaporate just as quickly; many of them operate illegally. Some undoubtedly sell hot (illegally-acquired) merchandise.

stache
October 24th, 2005, 05:46 PM
Bijoux Way - 75 W. 38th. St. Manhattan - Many fun things for a dollar!

Jewelry Plaza - 1204 Broadway @ 29th. St. Manhattan - Look upstairs too -

Jewelry Plaza in particular is a good place for small gifts. Also, Urban Outfitters does deep markdowns on sale items. - Back to our regularly schedualed threads...

czsz
October 24th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Broadway in Soho is undoubtedly the densest concentration of these stands, although they're really citywide (well, Manhattan-wide).

lofter1
October 24th, 2005, 06:47 PM
^ ^ And the vendors / tables are a real pain for many of us who live down here -- as if the sidewalks weren't crowded enough ... get a gang of buyers in front of a table and 3/4 of the sidewalk is gone ... and line up the tables end to end down the full length of the block ... plus the fights at 8AM when one vendor feels his sacred spot has been infringed upon -- you can't imagine the yelling and screaming that ensue ...

Sometimes the thought of just shoving the whole tableful of knock-offs and cheapies into the street passes through my brain. But I get over it ...

Rant complete.

sweetgirl
October 24th, 2005, 07:08 PM
thx a lot for all your replies:p

stache
October 25th, 2005, 06:52 AM
Lofter I agree. Broadway in SoHo on weekends is a nightmare.

Ninjahedge
October 25th, 2005, 08:49 AM
I feel like walking over all the burnt copies of the movies and crap feeling them crunch under my shoes.

The RIAA has enough time and money to sue schoolgirls and grandmothers, but does very little to persue the ones that are not only copying their stuff, but SELLING it out on the street.

As for the knock-off dealers. If people were not so stupidly infatuated with ugly-as-sin Luis Vuitton(sp) handbags JUST BECAUSE LV designed them, maybe we would not have so many knockoffs.

And maybe China would not be so much of a threat to our national economy... ;) (J/K)

ablarc
October 25th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Ablarc, did your post change?
When you change a post a little italicized notice appears at the bottom.

lofter1
November 26th, 2005, 08:04 AM
What's up with the insanity being displayed by X-Mas shoppers this season?

"Digital Rage" in Queens ( http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/369179p-314071c.html ) :

Cops had to calm furious shoppers at Circuit City stores around town yesterday as bargain hunters discovered that laptops advertised at $200 were in short supply.

"They bum-rushed the store and we couldn't control the crowds," said a shaken manager at the Rego Park, Queens, store, where cops had to quell an angry throng of more than 500...

"They make us wait here for three to four hours and we leave with nothing. They played us," said Zeshan Haider, 33, of Jersey City, who got in line at 3:30 a.m. outside the Circuit City on E. 14th St. in Manhattan only to walk out empty-handed.

Pepper Spray at Texas WalMart ( http://www.kbtv4.tv/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=9901 ) :

Early morning shoppers at Beaumonts Wal-Mart say they were pepper sprayed by an off-duty police officer working security as a large crowd gathered in the electronics department of the store.

Fights in Orlando ( http://www.local6.com/news/5401142/detail.html ) :

Orlando police officers were called to break up some fights between shoppers early Friday as Central Floridians flocked to stores for one of the busiest shopping days of the year, according to Local 6 News.

Elderly lady trampled in S. Florida ( http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/southflorida/sfl-1125shop,0,6753979.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines ) :

The crowd of shoppers outside BrandsMart USA in Sawgrass Mills, angry at being forced to wait by security personnel, pushed their way under the security gate and down a hallway into the store, forcing dozens of people against the walls and trampling the woman.

Mobs in Michigan ( http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051126/ap_on_bi_ge/holiday_shopping&printer=1 ) :

The bargains were so good at Wal-Mart Stores Inc. that things got out of hand.

In Cascade Township, east of Grand Rapids, Mich., a woman fell as dozens of people rushed into a store for the 5 a.m. opening. Several stepped on her, and a few became entangled as a man pushed them to the ground to keep them away.

When the rush ended, the woman and a 13-year-old girl suffered minor injuries.

Schadenfrau
November 26th, 2005, 03:46 PM
I seriously think that many people believe this is the way you're expected to behave at the Black Friday sales. Why else would people get so worked up over saving some pittance on a sub-standard piece of electronic equipment?

nycbound
November 26th, 2005, 04:40 PM
I don't think that people realize that much of the sale items for Black Friday, are specifically made for the event. It's not like they are getting a $700 laptop for $200. They are getting a cheap laptop worth $200 FOR $200. They have saved NOTHING- especially their dignity, after acting like animals! It's sad & pathetic- I stay away from the stores the day after Thanksgiving.

Schadenfrau
November 26th, 2005, 09:46 PM
But if you're not throwing a punch with one hand and securing your wig with the other, all the while grabbing for a $300 laptop, how are you going to make it onto the local news' weekly round-up of wacky clips?

mima2006
January 10th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I'm visiting New York for 5 days over Easter, and would like to do some serious shopping...Where are the best places to buy jeans - specifically brands that are ludicrously expensive in the UK such as 7 for All Mankind?
I'm planning on visiting the big department stores, but wondered if anyone knew of any good little boutiques?

Thanks in advance.

lofter1
January 10th, 2006, 11:43 AM
Check out stores along lower Broadway between Houston & Grand in SoHo -- and side streets in that area ...

MidtownGuy
January 18th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Make sure you include Century 21 on your list. Ridiculously good deals on jeans and everything else. But, get there early before it becomes a madhouse.

NY_Yankees_1979
April 3rd, 2006, 12:32 PM
Well the Manhattan Mall is a good bet really for a mall type. If you are looking for the New York area in general try the Pallasades Center which is in Rockland County off the thruway, its exit 12ish I believe.

Hof
June 15th, 2006, 02:25 PM
If you are looking for a concentration of shops,walk West along 34th Street from the Empire State.First,you get to pass through the gauntlet of sidewalk vendors along Broadway,and Macy's and the Manhattan Mall are right there in front of you at the starting line.
34th is lined with retailers of all types,and as you cross Seventh you enter a cheap clothes zone.The manufacturers in the adjacent Garment District must use the stores in this area as an outlet for overstocked goods.

There are a dozen places selling things at unreal prices--leather stores,jeans shops,women's clothing,kid's stuff and men's clothing stores all line the block--and they have things like $12 jeans,$50 suede jackets and $3 dress shirts piled in huge mounds on display tables.Their inventory is amazing,and their service is crummy.You will always stand in long lines to cash out.

Once,I was on my way to meet someone Important and I had sweated through my dark shirt,making me look like I'd fallen in the pool.I stopped at one of these 34th St shops and bought a very nice dress shirt for $5 and made my meeting in a crisp,fresh,cotton button-down Emergency Shirt.

Also,don't forget Canal St,especially on weekends.You can find ANYTHING there,from eels to MP-3s,usually cheaper than you would believe.One time,a friend wanted to buy a t-shirt with "something about New York" on it,and the stuff he was looking at was like ten,fifteen dollars a shirt in The Village.Then we went to Canal,where we saw a million NY-themed shirts,3 for $10.Later,we saw a 4-for-ten vendor.

Century 21 is an amazing place to shop.It reminds me of a souk or a Mideast bazzar,and Chelsea Market is cool as well.SOHO has a few square blocks of retail,although a lot of the SOHO stuff is pricey,like The Village is around Bleeker or 4th.

capoeta cypher
June 15th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Harlem has the best shopping, especially around Broadway and W 125th St.

czsz
June 15th, 2006, 10:57 PM
There are no stores at Broadway and 125th...only a McDonald's and I think some kind of deli.

Cocomo
June 16th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I'm looking for a roller bag that is either bootleg burberry, gucci, LV or something like that. Can anyone help me find the right street vendor, or shop?

e-mail me at joseph.ober@us.army.mil
thanx

pianoman11686
June 16th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Try Little Korea - Broadway in the mid 20's. Lots of street vendors and small shops with discount bags, perfume, etc.

milleniumcab
June 16th, 2006, 08:57 PM
For bootleg, Canal Street might be a better choice...

capoeta cypher
June 17th, 2006, 10:17 AM
There are no stores at Broadway and 125th...only a McDonald's and I think some kind of deli.

Try going there and see for yourself. :rolleyes:

lofter1
June 17th, 2006, 10:29 AM
For bootleg, Canal Street ...

Bootleg / counterfeit / bogus goods vendors = the scourge of NYC.

What do they contribute? Aside from crowding the sidewalks?

Basically they are thieves and all who buy from them are accomplices.

(I have a particular dislike as they are pervasive in my neighborhood -- and those seeking a "deal" flock to them like flies to sh!t. A good shoulder block seems to be the best way to pass through the throngs that fill the side WALK -- notice it is not called a side SHOP ;) )

+++

ablarc
June 17th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Try going there and see for yourself. :rolleyes:
Parking lots, apartments in a park, a few shops. What are the great shops?

MidtownGuy
June 17th, 2006, 11:46 AM
Try going there and see for yourself.

The shops on 125 all sell the exact same type of clothes, most of it deliriously oversized or of a very low quality. To tell people to go shopping there shows you have a very narrow sense of what's in style. Nike,Sean John, and Akademiks aren't most people's idea of great shopping. I suppose it's good if you're a teenybopper or something.

milleniumcab
June 17th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Bootleg / counterfeit / bogus goods vendors = the scourge of NYC.

What do they contribute? Aside from crowding the sidewalks?

(I have a particular dislike as they are pervasive in my neighborhood -- and those seeking a "deal" flock to them like flies to sh!t. A good shoulder block seems to be the best way to pass through the throngs that fill the side WALK -- notice it is not called a side SHOP ;) )

+++
The government overlooks the activity in Chinatown and allows bootleging to go on there.. It is like they are exempt from the laws all New Yorkers have to abide by.. It is different world on Canal Street that's for sure.

milleniumcab
June 17th, 2006, 11:54 AM
There are bootleg taxis too, you know.. I wouldn't mind if ALL bootleging stopped in NYC..:D

MidtownGuy
June 17th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Bootleg / counterfeit / bogus goods vendors = the scourge of NYC

You might hate me for this, but....Horsepucky, Lofter! They're part of the scene. People come here looking for them. If you choose to live in Soho, you gotta take the good with the bad. It's like living in Midtown and complaining about all those swarming, bothersome office workers in their French blue shirts. Gosh, they're always in my way.

The bigger thieves are found in the "legitimate" corporate stores. Actually, it's the genuine brand names that disgust me. Costs 10 cents to make something and sell it for 150 bucks. Soho has become a giant shopping mall of thievery. The real thieves are the ones selling ripped jeans for $ 252.

The people selling on the sidewalk are trying to scratch out a living, and not all the stuff is counterfeit, many are selling things they created themselves. To the people perched above in their 5 million dollar lofts, or on their way to buy a 6 dollar latté at some poo-poo-la-la café, cry me a river!

lofter1
June 17th, 2006, 01:09 PM
If you choose to live in Soho, you gotta take the good with the bad.

When I moved in down here they were nowhere around ;)

But to the point: I've no problem with legit vendors -- but please keep them to their allotted 30" of space and away from doorways -- and don't be taking up half the sidewalk.

The bigger thieves are found in the "legitimate" corporate stores.

Gotta agree with you there -- but I'm not buying much of that stuff.

The people selling on the sidewalk are trying to scratch out a living, and not all the stuff is counterfeit, many are selling things they created themselves.

I specifically referred to bootleg / counterfeit / bogus items --

Not fair to accuse me of going after the other vendors when they weren't part of my post.

To the people perched above in their 5 million dollar lofts, or on their way to buy a 6 dollar latt at some poo-poo-la-la caf, cry me a river!

Clearly this doesn't describe me --

Maybe we should send some of the gang with their bogus CDs, fake Gucci bags, knock-off Rolex watches over to your building so they can spread out their counterfeit "wares" in front of your door ;)

MidtownGuy
June 17th, 2006, 01:50 PM
I might be mistaken, but it just seems like most of the vendors in Soho aren't selling bootleg stuff. There's so many selling beaded necklaces, graffitti caps, silver rings, hats, artwork, etc. etc. that the crowded condition of the sidewalks in Soho isn't mainly from knockoffs. I associate that more with Canal Street. For example, when I used to go down to Soho for the Apple Store(we midtowners have our own now, thank goodness), Prince Street was so crowded, I admit annoyingly so, but it was mostly with people selling offbeat things.

Didn't mean to go after you personally on the anti-bourgeois tip, but I see how you may have gotten that impression- sorry.

I really do despise what has happened to Soho. When I moved to New York, dewy-faced and headed to art school the following September, the vintage clothing dept. at Canal Jean Co. was my first job. I loved Soho at the time, and remember it well. Of course, Canal Jean Co. is now a Bloomingdales, and all of the characters like me that worked there have been replaced by fancy-pants label whores. The stores have all morphed into chains. A good portion of the street vendors, and longtime residents like yourself;) are the only ones still keeping it real I think.

aybe we should send some of the gang with their bogus CDs, fake Gucci bags, knock-off Rolex watches over to your building so they can spread out their counterfeit "wares" in front of your door

Too late, I live above a busy stretch of Lexington, and exactly in front of my building there are guys like you describe. In fact, midtown is the fake Gucci and LV bag Capital aside from Chinatown. Between my door and Bloomingdales there must be a zillion. They don't bother me much. In fact, one of them is a great guy from West Africa with whom I often converse. He's lived everywhere! and what stories he has to tell.

Overall, I have more philosophical qualms with the real Gucci than with the guys selling fakes on the streets. When the street vendors-artists and bag hawkers alike- are booted from Soho and the corporate behemoths rule the neighborhood even more completely, it'll suck bad.

capoeta cypher
June 17th, 2006, 02:15 PM
The shops on 125 all sell the exact same type of clothes, most of it deliriously oversized or of a very low quality. To tell people to go shopping there shows you have a very narrow sense of what's in style. Nike,Sean John, and Akademiks aren't most people's idea of great shopping. I suppose it's good if you're a teenybopper or something.

What do you expect, I'm black. :D

lofter1
June 17th, 2006, 02:18 PM
... when I used to go down to Soho for the Apple Store(we midtowners have our own now, thank goodness), Prince Street was so crowded, I admit annoyingly so, but it was mostly with people selling offbeat things.

When I first moved down here you could play football on Prince St. on a Saturday afternoon!! No cars parked on the streets (as almost all of the few businesses down this way back then were strictly M-F, with a few open on Sunday) and barely a car passing through ...

Canal Jean Co. is now a Bloomingdales, and all of the characters like me that worked there have been replaced by fancy-pants label whores.

But that horrid Bloomingdales is always EMPTY of shoppers (salespeople invariably outnumber customers 3 - 1)...

Revenge :p !!

When the street vendors-artists and bag hawkers alike- are booted from Soho and the corporate behemoths rule the neighborhood even more completely, it'll suck bad.

Seems that the craftsmen / bona fide vendors / artists have won that war via the courts ... but it does seem that to allow them shoulder-to-shoulder table-to-table along an entire block could be viewed as detrimental to the public interest. If you can't walk down the sidewalk to do needed personal business (post office, bank, food shopping, etc.) in the neighborhood then something's gotta give.

My answer to that problem: Do all local business before 11 AM.

(And don't go west of Broadway into SoHo if at all possible on either Saturday or Sunday ... walk around it ;) )

ablarc
June 17th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Maybe we should send some of the gang with their bogus CDs, fake Gucci bags, knock-off Rolex watches over to your building so they can spread out their counterfeit "wares" in front of your door ;)

N...I...M...B...Y...!!! ;)

lofter1
June 17th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Hmmmmm ^ ...

Maybe: H ... A ... Y ... B ... Y

(how about your back yard ;) )

pianoman11686
June 17th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Walking through Midtown last night, I saw tons of street vendors peddling mainly Prada/LV purses and sunglasses. Asking price? $60.

capoeta cypher
June 17th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Honostly in my opinion, who would want to shop in Midtown. It' 's all business(buildings) and rarley can find an apartment there. *awaits the flame from MidtownGuy* :p

pianoman11686
June 17th, 2006, 08:18 PM
Apparently, you haven't seen the hoards of tourists that overwhelm the streets there.

But on a separate note, it's far from just business buildings. (I think that applies more to lower Manhattan.) There are more restaurants, hotels, theaters, and shops than in any other neighborhood. You can rarely find an apartment there because it's in such high demand that anything coming on the market gets snapped up in a hurry. Midtown's great, if you don't mind all the tourists.

MidtownGuy
June 17th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Midtown Manhattan is the most convenient place on the face of planet Earth

milleniumcab
June 17th, 2006, 10:29 PM
N.I.M.B.Y = not in my back yard ???

Hof
June 26th, 2006, 11:08 AM
If you steal a street vendor's product--say,just walk away with a bootleg copy of "Cars" without paying,or maybe you stop,examine and then just stroll off with a gilded sidewalk "Bolex" watch on your wrist and no bucks passed--is it a crime?

Is it even,in God's eyes,a sin?

What would the vendor do--call the cops??
Would the Street Thieves abandon their post and bother to chase you if you ran off??
Could they count on their fellow thieves for help,like the "Hay Rube" Carnies on the midway do whenever they need to close ranks?If you rob one,do the others in the area get involved?
Do they have,like,bodyguards hanging around to prevent customer theft??
Can they write stolen goods off on their taxes??

What if a dozen vendor-hating sidewalk consumers planned and executed a simultaneous multiple ripoff of a dozen vendors,netting,say,a dozen Bolexes all at once from around,ideally,Herald Square at Noon??
What would happen??Would that make a good movie??
Oh,yeah...Why DOES The City permit this ripped-off merchandise to be offered right in front of everybody??

lofter1
June 26th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Stealing counterfeit items is not "crime" for which the vendor could get legal relief. Whether or not it is a crime to take the bogus stuff -- don't know.

Definitely unethical to grab the stuff and run -- stealing is stealing.

However if you were ripping off the vendor for the "greater good" of ridding the steets of BS, then you might have an argument.

fonti
December 12th, 2006, 02:27 PM
sorry this is my first time. not sure if what to do.

Need to know where i can buy Etnies (trainers) in new york?
Can anybody help me?:confused:

lofter1
December 12th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Need to know where i can buy Etnies (trainers) in new york?

BLADES Board and Skate

Footware (http://www.blades.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=760781)

Store Locator (http://www.blades.com/corp/index.jsp?page=storeLocator)

659 Broadway
New York , NY 10012
Get Map (http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?addr=659+Broadway&csz=New+York+NY+10012&country=US&tarname=)

901 6th Ave
Level C-2
33rd Street and 6th Ave
New York , NY 10001
Get Map (http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?addr=901+6th+Ave&csz=New+York+NY+10001&country=US&tarname=)

156 West 72nd Street
New York , NY 10023
Get Map (http://maps.yahoo.com/py/maps.py?addr=156+West+72nd+Street&csz=New+York+NY+10023&country=US&tarname=)

steve morris
December 20th, 2006, 04:43 AM
Hi

I'll be visiting for a week in January (staying near 57th street).

Can anyone please advise me on where to purchase video games / systems from? I've never been to New York before, so wouldn't know where to start!

I'd like to pick up a PS3 whilst there (i know that they are rarer than rocking horse poo at the moment) so any advice would be fantastic!

Thanks!!

ryan
January 30th, 2007, 11:52 AM
The world's only Nintendo store is in Rockefeller Center. Other than that I think you'll find Gamestop and Best Buy are pretty much the same as you'd find anywhere - except more crowded and with poorer customer service. (sorry I don't know anything about PS3 - mine is a Nintendo home)

clubBR
May 7th, 2007, 03:06 AM
Hi

I'll be visiting for a week in January (staying near 57th street).

Can anyone please advise me on where to purchase video games / systems from? I've never been to New York before, so wouldn't know where to start!

I'd like to pick up a PS3 whilst there (i know that they are rarer than rocking horse poo at the moment) so any advice would be fantastic!

Thanks!!
You can buy a PS3 no problem. The frenzy has died down. Visit Sony Plaza on 56th and Madison

Stian
May 23rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
Hello. I am looking for two things in New York. A store, or some stores, where I can buy digital cameras and other technoligical stuff. Not best buy (I dont trust best buy. Once I bought a broken TV from them and it was a hard time getting a new one) and not stores around big tourist places where they rip you off.
I am also looking for vans sneakers like these; http://www.junkyard.se/images/product_alt/25763.jpg

Sorry for bad english, I have only been here for a couple of months.

dennisonNYC
July 2nd, 2007, 12:35 PM
Hey to all,

I'm looking for great thrift/vintage/consignment stores in all 5 boroughs. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!!!
dennisonNYC

Schadenfrau
July 2nd, 2007, 12:57 PM
I love vintage shopping, so I can honestly say that New York City has the worst vintage shopping of anywhere I've ever been. I'm sure people will disagree, but compared to everywhere else, the prices are incredibly high and the quality of the stock is relatively low. A few months ago, I saw a thrift store (not even a vintage store) in the East Village trying to sell a New Kids On The Block t-shirt for $80. No kidding.

That said, Beacon's Closet in Williamsburg is very popular. I like the Memorial Sloan-Kettering and Spence-Chapin thrift stores on the Upper East Side, myself.

MidtownGuy
July 2nd, 2007, 06:09 PM
I know what you mean and it wasn't always like that.
There used to be so many cheap vintage stores, I mean really good stuff to be found. In my college days I always managed to look fashionable even when broke. Of course, they mostly disappeared as the neighborhoods went to hell (invasion of the pram-pushing body snatchers). Who can forget the vintage department at the old Canal Jean Co. on Broadway circa 1990. It was my first job in NY, I can smell the mercerized cotton now. The basement seemed the size of a football field.

A store, or some stores, where I can buy digital cameras and other technoligical stuff. Not best buy

Same thing I tell everybody...B&H ! B&H ! B&H ! Best selection and prices in the city, only occasionally beaten by J&R.

k-thuglife-xo
August 4th, 2007, 07:17 PM
sorry didnt realise this thread or i wouldnt have opened a new one !!

In 3 weeks im heading to NYC :)! , staying in comfort in manhattan
where is all the best shops im talking bout Clothes shops

Roca wear
Sean John
Air Brush Clothing
Black Wall Street
Makavelia
Nike Kicks
Etc etc etc

Also is there any thing / place youd suggest going for a Hiphop Fan??
Thanks for your time
k xx:)

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/images/misc/progress.gif

Schadenfrau
August 4th, 2007, 08:11 PM
You'll be able to find all of that in various stores on Broadway, between Astor Place and Canal Street.

You might enjoy one of these tours:

http://www.hushtours.com/

luke77
August 5th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Hi guys,

Just saw this thread and thought I'd ask about something I was wondering about. Earlier in the thread someone posted about buying a really nice dress shirt from one of those discount shops on broadway around canal st (I think it was there). I've seen these shops before, and having zero fashion sense, figured that the clothes were either really low quality or counterfeit. Is this an incorrect impression? Are the stores worth checking out for buying actual work clothes? There's a place right outside my door that advertises $75 suits and I've never given them a second look - should I? (The reason I'm asking here first is because I'd have to get someone to come with me if I was actually thinking about buying something, because I can't judge quality at all on my own...) And if the stuff is at least decent quality, how do they get away with selling it so cheap?

Alonzo-ny
August 19th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I love vintage shopping, so I can honestly say that New York City has the worst vintage shopping of anywhere I've ever been. I'm sure people will disagree, but compared to everywhere else, the prices are incredibly high and the quality of the stock is relatively low. A few months ago, I saw a thrift store (not even a vintage store) in the East Village trying to sell a New Kids On The Block t-shirt for $80. No kidding.

That said, Beacon's Closet in Williamsburg is very popular. I like the Memorial Sloan-Kettering and Spence-Chapin thrift stores on the Upper East Side, myself.

How is the quality of the vintage clothing in those stores?

MagnusPym
August 22nd, 2007, 02:35 AM
How about a question concerning a place where I can no longer shop in Manhattan? After watching a Seinfeld repeat that featured Elaine dating a "Nobody Beats The Wiz" pitchman, I was drawn into a discussion with some friends about the old "Wiz" location in Union Square.

Some of us seemed to remember it being on Union Square West, right across the corner of 15th street from the Amalgamated Bank. There's an American Eagle Outfitter there now (replacing Mexx)---#19 Union Square West. Others think it was next door (#17? not sure what's in there now).

Anyone remember the block and the address the Wiz used to call home?

Many thanks in advance...! :)

Schadenfrau
August 22nd, 2007, 04:00 PM
Alonzo, the clothes tend to be grouped by the neighborhoods the shops are located in. Beacon's Closet is good for hipster gear, Spence-Chapin is good for more old-school designers. The Cancer Care thrift store on the UES often carries reasonable Hermes scarves, as well.

Front_Porch
August 24th, 2007, 01:52 PM
The Cancer Care thrift store on the UES often carries reasonable Hermes scarves, as well.

oooh, I didn't need to know that!!

ali r.
{downtown broker}

bjstanbridge
August 27th, 2007, 03:49 AM
We love to go to open air markets.

Does anyone have any recommendations for markets in NY

Thanks

MagnusPym
September 12th, 2007, 02:40 AM
How about a question concerning a place where I can no longer shop in Manhattan? After watching a Seinfeld repeat that featured Elaine dating a "Nobody Beats The Wiz" pitchman, I was drawn into a discussion with some friends about the old "Wiz" location in Union Square.

Some of us seemed to remember it being on Union Square West, right across the corner of 15th street from the Amalgamated Bank. There's an American Eagle Outfitter there now (replacing Mexx)---#19 Union Square West. Others think it was next door (#17? not sure what's in there now).

Anyone remember the block and the address the Wiz used to call home?

Many thanks in advance...! :)

C'mon----I can't believe I stumped the panel.

Anybody?

:eek:

NYatKNIGHT
September 14th, 2007, 09:44 AM
17 Union Square West at 15th Street

The magic of Google.

Portia1776
September 14th, 2007, 10:08 PM
After reading through the posts and asking a few questions, I just wanted to say thank you!!!! We found Century 21 and Syms (both suggested by everyone here) and we found a nice suit and long wool overcoat for my husband and I have so much money left over that I get to go shopping for myself now!

Thank you again! (By the way.. .I love living here!)

MagnusPym
September 17th, 2007, 07:42 PM
17 Union Square West at 15th Street

The magic of Google.

#17! Kudos for for clearing that mystery up, NYatNight. :)

pricedout
October 29th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Regarding the vintage issue, there is a very funky store on 23rd Street, between 6th and 7th, I think. For thrift shops, the New York City Opera shop has some amazing deals. It's on 23rd Street, I think between Second and Third. There's a Housing Works thrift shop across the street, and another one who's name escapes me around the corner on Third, west side of the avenue, between 22nd and 23rd, so you could make it a destination if you really like to hunt. If you REALLY like to hunt, 23rd Street between Second and Third also has the Salvation Army and one other thrift shop.

Schadenfrau
October 29th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Great suggestions, PricedOut. The stretch of 3rd Avenue from 23rd up to about 28th has a few good thrift stores, as well.

pricedout
October 29th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I'll have to check them out. It's amazing how one can live in a neighborhood for years and notice things so selectively. I always notice new restaurants, though.

localjoost
October 30th, 2007, 05:56 AM
What do cigarettes cost in NY (i smoke lucky strike's)

thx

lofter1
October 30th, 2007, 09:44 AM
~ $7.50 / pack :eek:

If the cigs don't kill you the taxes will

localjoost
October 30th, 2007, 11:19 AM
damn, that is a lot :eek: hmm I'll be sure to bring some cigarettes from home as well, not that they are cheap (5.75$)

Front_Porch
October 30th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Bringing this back to vintage stores, there used to be -- and maybe still is -- a great vintage store on 23rd on the second floor -- not sure if it's the one pricedout is referring to or if it's upstairs from that -- Jim Smiley's or Smalley's or something like that -- I bought rhinestone Art Deco clips for my wedding dress there, he was very nice . .. anyway, the rambling moral is that not all great stores are on the first floor!

ali r.
{downtown broker}

pricedout
October 31st, 2007, 09:55 AM
I remember the store Front Porch is talking about, it was great. Last time I was over there I didn't notice it, but there's been alot of change and I may have missed it (or its successor). I'll look next time I'm there.

On another issue, I'm looking to buy my husband a guitar (electric) for Christmas and I know squat. I know about Chelsea Guitars, and there's a store on I think First and one LES (maybe Stanton). Can anyone recommend a good, friendly salesperson downtown? I really don't want to do the Sam Ashe type route. They intimidate me. (I've been in them before for things for my daughter). Thanks!

media35
November 1st, 2007, 01:07 AM
I remember the store Front Porch is talking about, it was great. Last time I was over there I didn't notice it, but there's been alot of change and I may have missed it (or its successor). I'll look next time I'm there.

On another issue, I'm looking to buy my husband a guitar (electric) for Christmas and I know squat. I know about Chelsea Guitars, and there's a store on I think First and one LES (maybe Stanton). Can anyone recommend a good, friendly salesperson downtown? I really don't want to do the Sam Ashe type route. They intimidate me. (I've been in them before for things for my daughter). Thanks!

www.umanovguitars.com/ Matt Umanov Guitars, hands down the best. Very helpful, but be sure to know what type of sound you want out of the guitar.

pricedout
November 1st, 2007, 07:48 AM
Thanks. My husband is about as subtle as a brick so I should be able to get that info out of him without arousing any suspicions.

NewYorkDoc
November 24th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Happy UK shoppers hit US stores

By Laura Smith-Spark
BBC News, New York
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/999999.gif

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44249000/jpg/_44249457_macys203bbc.jpg
Many of the shoppers jostling for handbags in Macy's are Brits

Listen to the hubbub of excited shoppers in New York's famous Macy's department store and one thing is striking.

An awful lot of the voices - and particularly those coming from the people clutching the biggest number of bulging bags - seem to be British.
Stop by other large retailers - Bloomingdale's, Saks Fifth Avenue or any Gap store - and the same experience is repeated, with the odd French or other European accent thrown in.
While Americans are feeling the pinch of a credit crunch, housing slump and rising fuel prices, it seems their European cousins are ready to make the most of a dollar which has slid to near record lows.
As the Brits happily point out, an exchange rate of over $2 to 1 makes clothes, cosmetics and electronic goods so much cheaper that it seems worth paying for a flight and hotel.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gifFORECAST EUROPEAN ARRIVALS TO THE US IN 2007
From the UK - 4.36m (up 4.5%)
Germany - 1.5m (up 8.1%)
France - 943,000 (up 19.5%)
Spain - 481,000 (up 13.4%)
Ireland - 468,000 (up 13%)

Source: Global Insight

And as a result, it is not just the rich and famous who can enjoy a quick transatlantic shopping trip ahead of Christmas.
Outside Macy's on Friday, Sally Coxon is one of a group of eight women, friends since childhood, who are visiting from London to take advantage of the exchange rate.
"We're here celebrating our 40th birthdays," says Sally. "We've been buying handbags, jackets, whatever we could really."
As they wait for two cabs to whisk them and their mountain of bags back to the hotel, all the talk is of designers and how much cheaper everything is than back home.

Bargain hunters
Ken McGill, a travel and tourism expert for international forecasting company Global Insight, says statistics back up the impression of a European influx to the US.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gifhttp://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44249000/jpg/_44249458_bags_bbc203.jpg
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/start_quote_rb.gif Tour operators are telling people 'don't even pack, just go with one little carry-on bag, buy luggage over there and fill it up with what you buy' http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/img/v3/end_quote_rb.gif

Mary McCormick
Shop America Alliance

According to Global Insight, there will be a growth of 4.5% in the number of arrivals from the UK in 2007, reversing a dip seen last year across the US, barring New York.
Increases are also predicted in the numbers of visits to the US this year from France, Spain, Germany and Ireland.
But it is the British - who make up the biggest share of European visitors - and the Irish who appear most motivated by the prospect of bargain hunting while the dollar slides, Mr McGill says.
Mary McCormick, president of Shop America Alliance, a trade and travel group, agrees.
"The Brits have never been more 'shop happy' in their entire lives, because the pound is so attractive compared to the dollar," she says.
And it is not just New York that is benefiting.
"The problem right now that they run into in New York is that hotels have got so expensive...because of all the people going there to shop in December," she explains. "So I'm hearing that they are going to Boston, Philadelphia, even Chicago and other cities to go shopping.
"Tour operators are telling people 'don't even pack, just go with one little carry-on bag, buy luggage over there and fill it up with what you buy'."

'Affordable luxury'
In New York, the big stores are certainly aware that an increase in European shoppers is good for the balance sheet.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif

At Saks Fifth Avenue, multilingual customer service staff will point customers to rails of designer goods, three cafes - and probably the only shoe floor that can claim to be "so big it has its own zip code" (10022-SHOE, if you were wondering).
Saks' general manager Suzanne Johnson says: "We do have an awful lot of Brits coming in.
"And, when you think about it, once they get to the States, or to New York City, or to Saks, they are starting with half off, so they can benefit greatly because they can afford luxury.
"A lot of shopping is done throughout the store, but in particular handbags and shoes...the average spend per customer has gone up significantly."
The store has not advertised in Europe, she added, but a lot of effort is going into PR and building partnerships with European media and travel groups.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/o.gif

NEW YORK, NEW YORK
43.8m visitors in total to NYC in 2006
1,169,000 British visitors to NYC last year
British tourists spend about $235 a day in NYC
Total spending for British visitors in 2006 was $1.64bn
Total visitor spending was $24bn for NYC last year
Visits from overseas account for 17% of total trips to New York but more than 50% of visitor spend

Source: New York City and Company

It seems the message is getting out.
"We had a hundred women from Iceland who chartered a jet to shop in our new designer shoe store," Ms Johnson says.
"They made a three-day trip out of it and they spent a good day-and-a-half in our store."
Christopher Heywood, PR director for New York City and Company, which promotes New York, says the city is the big success story for US tourism, having bucked the decline seen elsewhere in previous years.
The British in particular are getting "tremendous savings" on goods and benefiting from cheap flights, he says.
Top of UK shoppers' wish lists are major brand names such as Apple, Tiffany, Abercrombie and Fitch, Levi and Nike, he adds.

Anything to declare?
However, one cloud may loom on the horizon for Britain's happy shoppers: import duty.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44214000/jpg/_44214638_dollar203jpgafp.jpg
Europeans are benefiting from the euro's strength against the dollar

Not all travellers may realise that they are only allowed to bring in 145-worth of shopping from the US into the UK, including gifts and souvenirs, without declaring what they have bought.
If this limit is breached, HM Revenue and Customs can insist on the payment of import duty and VAT of up to 20% on many items, which may include those prized jeans or iPods.
As for the US, Mr McGill warns against complacency if it wants to maintain its appeal to European shoppers.
Analysts have come up with three possible reasons as to why European tourism to the US has not grown faster, given that exchange rates have been favourable for some years, he says:

A more negative perception of the US and Americans brought on by the Iraq war and policies of the Bush administration
An impression that the US is not a very welcoming place because of tightened security and entry policies, such as fingerprinting
Rising competition from other destinations, such as Singapore, Dubai and Macau, which have made greater efforts to market themselves to European travellersThat said, the Europeans enjoying the pre-Christmas flavour of New York just before Thanksgiving seem pretty content with the deal on offer. "Don't stop till they turn out the lights," urge the signs in Macy's, advertising its weekend sale. One suspects the pound-rich Brits will be only too happy to obey.

bumper38
November 30th, 2007, 03:08 PM
um i live in st. petersburg fl and i kinda have a shoping ??? where do you get groceries in new york. in fl i am used to going to wal mart or publix and im thinking in manhattan there isnt anything, and also are there any good gyms in manhattan or queens...

thanks for the help

Bumper38

Front_Porch
December 2nd, 2007, 05:29 PM
Getting groceries in New York is a constant problem. There are no mega-supermarkets on the island, and all the food has to be trucked in, so you have your choice of small supermarkets with huge markups or giant gourmet stores with bigger markups.

On the other hand, the quality of the food is generally a little bit better than what I remember from the mega-market chains growing up.

I don't know how other people do it, but my husband and I are basically buying groceries every other day. In a typical two weeks, we will go to different chain stores for staples a couple of times, go to a greenmarket/greengrocer to get good produce, and go to one of the better discount markets to load up on meat.

But it's tough, you're constantly shopping and everything is expensive -- figure $20 per grocery bag is a good rule.

ali r.
{downtown broker}

pricedout
December 2nd, 2007, 06:21 PM
The biggest and cheapest grocery store in Manhattan was (maybe still is?) the LES Pathmark, but isn't that going to be history soon? Although I think I recall that Pathmark will be allowed to reopen in the new space? It's also a fright show on the weekends. The biggest and cheapest gourmet store is Fairway in Harlem and the UWS, and Trader Joe's near Union Square (although somewhat more limited in selection). There's still some good grocery shopping, particularly meat, seafood and ethnic (although disappearing quickly) around Port Authority on Ninth Avenue, and in Chinatown.

K-Mart has decent prices on pantry staples and things like toilet paper. SOME greenmarket vendors have great prices, some not so great. Even Whole Foods has some great prices on the items that it has branded (pasta, oreos, cheerios, condiments, sauces, ice cream, etc.) But Ali is definitely correct, it often seems much harder than it ought to be.

lofter1
December 2nd, 2007, 08:00 PM
... figure $20 per grocery bag is a good rule.

Funny how that ^ works out.

On my grocery runs I'm always happen when a $20 bill covers me.

Encideyamind
December 6th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I'm 6'7 looking for suits and such but don't want(read: can't afford) to get anything tailored. where should I head.

alskdj80
December 8th, 2007, 07:48 PM
I've been looking for a sweatshirt or hoodie that has "Brooklyn" stitched on it since I've moved here, but I still can't find anything.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Schadenfrau
December 9th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Order one from neighborhoodies.com- it seems like every recent transplant under the age of 30 already has.

JrVegasCEO
December 10th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I am coming to NYC for the first time on business, and I will be wrapped up pretty much all day until 5 or 6 ish all week. Is there any thing open after 6? The MOMA and Statue of Liberty are closed after dark right? Also does any one know when the street vendors leave? I want to go to Canal St and Battery Park to see all the knockoff stuff, but Im going to be super busy! Thanks for any help!

pricedout
December 16th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Encyd (hope you don't mind the abb.)

Try Century21, downtown. My husband is 6'3", not your height, but still we find great things here. It's very close to the subway stop (fulton, 6). Sometimes the finds are amazing, other times so so. If so so, I recommend coming back in a month or so.

lofter1
December 17th, 2007, 12:04 AM
I'm 6'7 looking for suits and such but don't want(read: can't afford) to get anything tailored. where should I head.
Many stores have free tailoring in-store.

lofter1
December 18th, 2007, 09:12 PM
A bit off topic, but what they hay ...

It seems that Beyonce is in every other TV ad for this that or the other product this holiday season.

What do y'all think she's worth these days (sponsorships and all)?

And is there anything she won't sell?

I have norhing against her. Seems she figures she's gotta cash in while the iron - and bod - is hot. Not a bad show biz strategy.

KrissySF
December 30th, 2007, 06:26 AM
Not to mention Beyonce looks exceptionally H-O-T in that credit card commerical. Especially when she's in that low cut blue dress! Whatever she sells, it's flying off the shelves!

Joey Blaq
December 30th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Where can a get a cheap, but still nice suit in Manhattan. I'm looking for something all black and sleek. Thanks

Gregory Tenenbaum
March 21st, 2008, 11:58 PM
Not to mention Beyonce looks exceptionally H-O-T in that credit card commerical. Especially when she's in that low cut blue dress! Whatever she sells, it's flying off the shelves!

Thats the lighting and makeup...:cool:

Foxy lady
May 6th, 2008, 08:00 AM
Just want to say that I'm from europe and coming to USA for the first time so every information is a good one :)

I found this on internet - Woodbury Common Premium Outlets Shopping Tour, Offered By: Gray Line New York Sightseeing, NY's Most Popular Outlet Shopping Day Trip!

so, does anyone know something about this? I'd like to go and shop something like Guess, Tommy Hilfiger, Victoria secret and so on, because in my country all your designer shops are very expensive and I heard from my friends, who have been there, that the prices are reasonable for our budget. so I'm interested in prices...

NYatKNIGHT
May 6th, 2008, 10:27 AM
See if the thread called Woodbury Common (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12594&page=2) can answer any of your questions.

rachelol
May 6th, 2008, 02:09 PM
go to bloomingdales. i work there, they have a great sales rack full of designer clothing.

hotdog
June 23rd, 2008, 11:11 AM
Hey guys - I'm plannaing a shopping trip to New York in Sep/Oct and was just looking for some advice. Is there any point in trying to organise round the retail sales season. Somebody told me there were discounts on Colombus day - should I hang on and try to take advantage and how big are the discounts on offer?

Also Woodbury Common seems to be the place to head for right?

Thanks a lot - any info is much appreciated...

Sunnygirl
July 24th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I like Filene's Basement - on the UWS - good prices, good selection.

Heidswaan
September 3rd, 2008, 08:03 AM
Hello,

My girlfriend and i are going within 3 weeks to NYC. She is despered to buy some Minnetonka's shoes there...She dont want to buy them here in Holland or buy them online. She wants to buy them in a store in NYC...I searched the internet for hours but cant find a shop who sells them... Who is gonna help me out ? Make me the man! :D

tnx alot :cool:

irene1
September 19th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Hi, Im going to New York in 2 weeks time, does anyone know where I can get sewing patterns, also where I can get decorative yankee candle holders. I would really appreciate ny suggestions.
Thanks in advance.
Irene.

The Benniest
September 20th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Not sure about the candle holders, and I'm not a big sewer myself (lol), but on the show Project Runway, the contestants go HERE (http://www.moodfabrics.com/) to get all of their fabrics. I'm not sure how expensive it is, but they have tons and tons of fabrics.

Hope this helps in some way... :)
Ben

FIVEOAKS
September 27th, 2008, 09:38 AM
Hi,

could somebody tell if there are any t-shirt shops in NY, where I can buy some cool/funny t-shirts?

Tanx

Steve

*Piglet*
November 11th, 2008, 11:10 AM
I'm going to be in New York for Christmas and while I'm there I'd like to get some foodstuffs that aren't available this side of the Atlantic - tinned pumpkin, Graham Crackers, Reese's etc, I know there's lots of grocery stores all over Manhattan, but I'd really like to go to a big supermarket like Walmart. Are any of the Walmart (or similar) stores in Brooklyn close to a Subway line?

italianfra
November 11th, 2008, 11:48 AM
hi!
I'm an Italian girl.. i have a question for you:
What do you think is fashionable in new york during this periode? For exemple:

What do you buy the most?
What do you do in your spare time?
Who is your favourite big-name?
Which cartoon do you like the most?

I'm dooing a big research about New Yorkers and their style of life, their tastes,......every thing about them......

PLEASE HELP ME!

P.S. sorry for my bad English!

kisses:p

media35
November 12th, 2008, 06:21 AM
I'm going to be in New York for Christmas and while I'm there I'd like to get some foodstuffs that aren't available this side of the Atlantic - tinned pumpkin, Graham Crackers, Reese's etc, I know there's lots of grocery stores all over Manhattan, but I'd really like to go to a big supermarket like Walmart. Are any of the Walmart (or similar) stores in Brooklyn close to a Subway line?

There are no Wal-Marts in New York City. There are no Wal-Marts that are on a subway line. Wal-Mart in New York City is a political statement, where the mention of placing one in the city draws out all the rabid anti-Wal-Mart population to the deteriment of the majority of other consumers. I am not sure that any of the Wal-Marts in NJ or Long Island are the "Super" Wal-Marts complete with grocery store. The grocery stores in Manhattan in particular are small, dirty, overpriced affairs. But you will be able to locate the items you mentioned in them.

stache
November 12th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Why don't you take your act back to the suburbs where it belongs? No one here is interested in hearing your NYC bashing. Thanks -

Ninjahedge
November 12th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Edison NJ just opened one.

Always puzzled me that WalMart could not hire union employees because they say that it would cost too much, but Shop Rite has had not only union, but also a disabled employee program for many many years and is actually cheaper than Wal-Mart on some items.

As for the groceries being all small dirty and overpriced, you need to look around a bit more. Some are significantly lower priced than anywhere, but still small and dirty.

Then you have Trader Joes, Amish Market and I think Gristeds is still around. Try not to cover all of Manhattan with the same blanket media35.....

scumonkey
November 12th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Even if you find all the foodstuffs your looking for,
will you even be allowed to transport it back to the other side of the pond?

media35
November 12th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Why don't you take your act back to the suburbs where it belongs? No one here is interested in hearing your NYC bashing. Thanks -

Typical response to any criticism of NYC. I live in NY, and have lived in many other states and countries. Trader Joe's, Whole Foods are great, but do not stock general food items such as the type of candy the visitor from Ireland requested. I have lived in three different neighborhoods in NY and have yet to find a general grocery store that compares in quality (produce, fish, meat, assortment of items) to a typical grocery store in the rest of the country, suburbs included. There is a wonderful Publix grocery store practically on the main street in downtown Miami. There are lines at Trader Joe's to get in--so New Yorkers know a good food store when they see one. Food lines at Food Emporium, Gristedes?????

*Piglet*
November 13th, 2008, 07:07 AM
Thanks for the replies, I wasn't specifically looking for a Walmart store, just a larger supermarket-type store with a better selection than the general grocery stores that are around the city. There should be no problem bringing the stuff back, I'm wouldn't be buying any fresh produce, just some sweets (candy :p) and cake decorating supplies and the like.

Ninjahedge
November 13th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Typical response to any criticism of NYC. I live in NY, and have lived in many other states and countries. Trader Joe's, Whole Foods are great, but do not stock general food items such as the type of candy the visitor from Ireland requested.

Some do, some dont. There are still things like Stop and Shop, A+P and others. And I believe the Amish market has things like "Graham Crackers, Reese's..." Maybe not canned pumpkin, per say. But what can't be gotten there, you can also find at CVS, Duane Reed, or one of the smaller groceries, some cleaner than others.

I have lived in three different neighborhoods in NY and have yet to find a general grocery store that compares in quality (produce, fish, meat, assortment of items) to a typical grocery store in the rest of the country, suburbs included.

That is because if you want fish, you go to the fish market downtown or into chinatown. Same thing with meats and stuff. It is still more of a sepearted market.

I would rather have that than a Wal-Mart anyday.

There is a wonderful Publix grocery store practically on the main street in downtown Miami. There are lines at Trader Joe's to get in--so New Yorkers know a good food store when they see one. Food lines at Food Emporium, Gristedes?????

Trader Joes is different. I went to one in the burbs and was not impressed. they had a lot of neat stuff (curry mixes, breads and salsas, but not much else).

If he realy wants generic "American" he can hop a path train over to Hoboken and go to Shop Rite.

stache
November 13th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Piglet, try NY Cake on 22nd. St. between 5 and 6 Ave., Manhattan. It's huge.

tonetaxsa
December 4th, 2008, 01:14 PM
<post deleted>

MumElise
February 20th, 2009, 09:13 AM
To be honest when i came to New York i couldn't wait to go shopping the first time - but when i went shopping i figured that that the prices are crazy high.
I prefer shopping in big outlets like in Baltimore :)

Bronxbombers
February 20th, 2009, 06:18 PM
I am 6'3" I will shopping for sports clothes in New York City 1 or 2 days this summer while I will be on vacation.

mkredman
May 4th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I came across online a few weeks ago a series of stores all located in one building. I cannot for the life of me remember where it was or its name. There was a small coffee shop, boutiques, and they sold furniture as well (similar to ABC Carpet and home). It was located downtown somewhere. If anyone has any leads I'd love to hear. Thanks!

Gekko
May 27th, 2009, 12:53 PM
You can find European new brands and custome made brands in Nolita or Lower East Side rather than 5th Avenue of Madison Avenue.

Bronxbombers
May 27th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I will shop at New Yankee Stadium,Madison Square Garden,Trader Joe's,retail stores and department stores in New York City.

meesalikeu
September 10th, 2009, 06:00 PM
starting today paragon sports in union square is having their annual warehouse sale around the corner on 18th st. i was just looking for a hoodie so i stopped in but it was a madhouse. if you are looking for sports clothes its definately worth checking out, it lasts for a few weeks.

Sherpa
November 22nd, 2009, 10:50 PM

jingleligtas
January 25th, 2010, 02:37 AM
Hello Guys..., My Name is Jingle...

jingleligtas
January 25th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Glad to be here...

ForestHillsGardens
February 22nd, 2010, 06:21 PM
@User: yyy
Here is some of the malls in and around the 4 main boroughs, I included some directions for your convienience:

For Manhattan's affordable shopping:

-Manhattan Mall (stated, typical mall hours): (N)(R)(Q)(W)(B)(D)(F)(V) to 34th St. Hearld Square. - Walk south on 34th St. to between 33rd and 32nd Sts., the mall is on your right.
-South Street Seaport/Peir Mall (Closing time is around 6-9, arrive early): (2)(3)(4)(5)(J)(M)(Z) to Fulton St., (A)(C) to Broadway-Nassau, (E) to World Trade Center or (R)(W) to Cortlandt (2009 UpTown Service ONLY) - Walk straight east on Fulton Street., the mall is located across the cobblestone walk by the old-fashioned ships.

For Queens affordable shopping:

-Queens Center Mall/Queens Place (typical mall hours): (V)(G)(R) to Woodhaven Blvd. (exit at North Side of station), it is easy to see the mall. Queens Place is down the Queens Blvd. in the round building (Target & Daffy's is in there).
-Rego Park Mall/Rego Center (typical mall hours): (V)(G)(R) to 63rd Drive., (exit at North Side of station), it is easy to spot the mall because it has major retailers labeled on it. Rego Center is down Junction Blvd.
*Both of these 4 malls are loacted walking distace to each other, all you have to do is cross the highway (I-495) using the underpass on Queens Blvd.*

For Brooklyn affordable shopping:

-Atlantic Mall/Terminal (typical mall hours): (2)(3)(4)(5)(B)(Q) to Atlantic Ave, (D)(M)(N)(R) to Pacific St, walk towards the LIRR Terminal, the station should have directions to direct you to the Mall. but the Mall is above the LIRR Terminal for clarification purposes.
-Kings Center (un-accessble by Subway, only bus, typical mall hours): (Q) to Ave. M and transfer to B9 Bus EastBound to last stop or (B)(Q) to Kings Highway and transfer to B2 to last stop. Mall is in the building on the SE corner of the intersection.

I do not recommend Bronx because it is kinda too crowded and messy there. Here is all I have right now, good luck, :)!

chickpea
April 6th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Is there anything one doesn't have to miss while going on a typical shopping tour in Manhattan??

KenNYC
April 9th, 2010, 09:19 PM
Not really, picking a place to go shopping in NYC is mainly a budget question. You'll find absolutely anything here, so you just have to make your selection what you are interested in. Ask yourself, is a pair of jeans supposed to cost $30 or $3,000, and you'll pick your stores after making that decision.

ForestHillsGardens
April 12th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Is there anything one doesn't have to miss while going on a typical shopping tour in Manhattan??

Not sure, it depends on the one's preference and personality.

paul_houle
April 13th, 2010, 04:21 PM
http://images.ny-pictures.com/photo2/m/35762_m.jpg (http://ny-pictures.com/nyc/photo/picture/35762/34th_outside_empire_visible_across)

Picture of Macy's (http://ny-pictures.com/nyc/photo/topic/6510/Macy27s) thanks to slava (http://ny-pictures.com/nyc/photo/photographer/605447/slava) and New York Pictures (http://ny-pictures.com/nyc/photo/)

ForestHillsGardens
April 14th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Picture of Macy's (http://ny-pictures.com/nyc/photo/topic/6510/Macy27s) thanks to slava (http://ny-pictures.com/nyc/photo/photographer/605447/slava) and New York Pictures (http://ny-pictures.com/nyc/photo/)

Obviously, Macy at 34th Street - Herald Square (B)(D)(F)(N)(Q)(R) [In 2010 before June (V) & (W), In 2010 after June (M) due to subway service changes, not definite though] is the one-stop-shop for people who wants clothes, but it is not the general one-stop-shop for everything, Fifth Ave. (N)(Q)(R)(E) [(V) & (W) before June 2010 and (M) after] (street-wise, is also one of the choices people can go to shop, there are some affordable deals you might get, Times Square can also be a cool place, and along 34th St. from 5th Ave. to 8th Ave. (A)(C)(E)(B)(D)(F)(N)(Q)(R) [(V) & (W) before June 2010 and (M) after] if people want to walk on pure sidewalk.

baddebt88
May 30th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster:

I am starting an internship in NYC in a week. Being cheap, I would love to be able to grab 6-10 dress shirts for around ~10 bucks as some people earlier in the thread mentioned (the wholesale overstocks).

I am wondering: Do those types of deals still exist? If so, where should I go to purchase them?

I am not overly worried about quality as long as its professional and presentable.

Thanks a lot.

rmpbklyn
June 1st, 2010, 10:35 AM
9pm
but some such as times square are open until 11pm if not 24 hours (mostly food however)

rmpbklyn
June 1st, 2010, 10:37 AM
there is steps near bryant park
also check out nassau street by fulton street, they have overstocks at dejenero (????)
and don't need any student card or id

rmpbklyn
June 1st, 2010, 10:40 AM
it's ok if you know where to go, macys at 34 is an exception when they have thier sales, but lines are long
stay away from the tourist traps like soho, midtown and village
go to nassau street by fulton street
there's marshall's (in brooklyn- 86th street) , tj max (at chelsea)

To be honest when i came to New York i couldn't wait to go shopping the first time - but when i went shopping i figured that that the prices are crazy high.
I prefer shopping in big outlets like in Baltimore :)

rmpbklyn
June 1st, 2010, 10:45 AM
additional:
86th street (by D train) : marshall's, gap and many boutique shops
86th street- bay ridge (R train): century 21(yes the brooklyn one and not as crowded as the manhattan one!!!!!) , gap, benetton, and many boutiques

@User: yyy
Here is some of the malls in and around the 4 main boroughs, I included some directions for your convienience:

For Manhattan's affordable shopping:

-Manhattan Mall (stated, typical mall hours): (N)(R)(Q)(W)(B)(D)(F)(V) to 34th St. Hearld Square. - Walk south on 34th St. to between 33rd and 32nd Sts., the mall is on your right.
-South Street Seaport/Peir Mall (Closing time is around 6-9, arrive early): (2)(3)(4)(5)(J)(M)(Z) to Fulton St., (A)(C) to Broadway-Nassau, (E) to World Trade Center or (R)(W) to Cortlandt (2009 UpTown Service ONLY) - Walk straight east on Fulton Street., the mall is located across the cobblestone walk by the old-fashioned ships.

For Queens affordable shopping:

-Queens Center Mall/Queens Place (typical mall hours): (V)(G)(R) to Woodhaven Blvd. (exit at North Side of station), it is easy to see the mall. Queens Place is down the Queens Blvd. in the round building (Target & Daffy's is in there).
-Rego Park Mall/Rego Center (typical mall hours): (V)(G)(R) to 63rd Drive., (exit at North Side of station), it is easy to spot the mall because it has major retailers labeled on it. Rego Center is down Junction Blvd.
*Both of these 4 malls are loacted walking distace to each other, all you have to do is cross the highway (I-495) using the underpass on Queens Blvd.*

For Brooklyn affordable shopping:

-Atlantic Mall/Terminal (typical mall hours): (2)(3)(4)(5)(B)(Q) to Atlantic Ave, (D)(M)(N)(R) to Pacific St, walk towards the LIRR Terminal, the station should have directions to direct you to the Mall. but the Mall is above the LIRR Terminal for clarification purposes.
-Kings Center (un-accessble by Subway, only bus, typical mall hours): (Q) to Ave. M and transfer to B9 Bus EastBound to last stop or (B)(Q) to Kings Highway and transfer to B2 to last stop. Mall is in the building on the SE corner of the intersection.

I do not recommend Bronx because it is kinda too crowded and messy there. Here is all I have right now, good luck, :)!

rmpbklyn
June 1st, 2010, 10:47 AM
Centry 21 in both Brooklyn (86th by R train) and Manhattan (by WTC) have great stuff, but you gotta dig.

You can find European new brands and custome made brands in Nolita or Lower East Side rather than 5th Avenue of Madison Avenue.

rmpbklyn
June 1st, 2010, 10:49 AM
china town @ canal street
and soho(but pricey because it's made by hippies)

Hi,

could somebody tell if there are any t-shirt shops in NY, where I can buy some cool/funny t-shirts?

Tanx

Steve

info
August 14th, 2010, 11:44 AM
YYY, are you just looking to get some shopping done? If so, you'd be better off doing it on the streets and not in a mall. Unlike many places, New York City has retail stores in almost every neighborhood. There's no reason to make a mall your destination.

You can say that again....When I visit annually (the Labor Day weekend) we just hit the streets (around 125th St area) and everything you could ever want walks, runs or "yells out" in front of you. By the time you get to the mall, you have shopped. I love it there...Good ol' free enterprise at its best. Besides you get to make "deals" on the street that will never happen in the mall.....

chickpea
March 18th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Just another question I have before visiting New York again next month: Is there any bigger supermarket somewhere in Manhattan where one can buy stuff like water, crisps, bread, chocolate and all the other stuff we would like to bring home and need for our living? I can remember that we had difficulties in finding any suitable place when we were in NYC before. Where do you New Yorkers do your regular every day/week shopping???

ablarc
March 18th, 2011, 05:56 PM
TRY Whole Foods (expensive, but huge selection) or Trader Joe's (a little less of both). Aso, Fairway (the best of both worlds).l

chickpea
April 1st, 2011, 10:45 AM
And one very last question: Is there any good pet shop you could recommend in NYC? We are always having fun in looking for some crazy stuff to bring home for our cats when we are away. We found Petropolis last year, which is an interesting but pretty small shop directly in Manhattan. Does anyone have any other cool suggestions?? Thanks for your help!!

nils
June 22nd, 2011, 01:10 PM
Hey there,

im off to new york from the 30th June to the 5th July,

Im a 16 year old guy from the UK.

Where Am I Staying?
casablanca hotel

Address: 147 West 43rd Street
New York, NY. 10036

-----------------------------------------------------

What sort of 'Shopping'?
Clothes shopping mainly, designer brands mainly but if theres any 'primark' like stores that may be worth a trip too!

i will be using the subways and trains to get around too

Just wondering of all the best clothes shops around New York so i dont miss out on any Gems while im there

RachelNTNYC
April 9th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Smaller stores will close earlier (prob around the time you think they would aka when you want to go home from work during the day), but there are of course exceptions. Bigger stores are usually open until around 9-11pm. Stores in high traffic business areas usually open earlier as well. Bonus= a lot of big chain stores around the holidays stay open 24 hours.

yankee fan for life
May 10th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster:

I am starting an internship in NYC in a week. Being cheap, I would love to be able to grab 6-10 dress shirts for around ~10 bucks as some people earlier in the thread mentioned (the wholesale overstocks).

I am wondering: Do those types of deals still exist? If so, where should I go to purchase them?

I am not overly worried about quality as long as its professional and presentable.

Thanks a lot.

Try looking around in the flea markets in china town.

wolf
September 25th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Canal St. in Chinatown...

Коля Ватский
August 20th, 2015, 03:17 AM
Good day, and all online readers do not care, I'm sorry, use an interpreter, as a representative of a charitable organization in Ukraine, ask someone to help hard not to at least one or two dollars for people in Donetsk (Ukraine), which, thanks to the aggressor forced to fight, have neither food nor clothing, lacks nothing, every cent or dollar is a big invaluable contribution, we all live under the same sky, all who are not indifferent, pay money you can on a purse webmoney (z476605037446) thank you.

Wobert Wedford
August 21st, 2015, 01:06 PM
May I suggest you direct your request to the Russians who have stirred up this conflict and have invaded Ukraine against International Law. Don't be surprised if you draw a blank!