PDA

View Full Version : I hope NYC never loses scenes like this...

MidtownGuy
February 21st, 2006, 03:21 PM
This shot is in my neighborhood, it's 53rd street. The contrast between the old buildings and the shiny towers on the next blocks is something I never want to see disappear under a wrecking ball. Some might argue that these are crappy tenements not worth saving. Similar was said of the much more gorgeous old buildings on 56th now in danger. Individually, none of these are anything to whistle dixie about. But it is the rich texture and contrast that they collectively add to the cityscape that is being lost as they disappear. Tourists always love to see NY fire escapes and I love them too, especially when they are painted in nice colors.
I am not advocating freezing the city in time, I am just as an artist lamenting the loss of some ordinary things and streetscapes, so none of the typical angry capitalist responses, please. I know all about your prices and profits and blah blah blah.
For this thread, maybe forumers who have photos, thoughts or whatever on bits of NY they love and/or feel are in danger, they could post 'em here?
http://static.flickr.com/19/102686949_46991789e4_b.jpg

NewYorkYankee
February 21st, 2006, 06:43 PM
Such a great contrast!

Fabrizio
February 21st, 2006, 06:48 PM
Another great photo... what a good eye.

londonlawyer
February 21st, 2006, 10:36 PM
I don't think that anyone in their right mind would call those buildings crappy and state that they're not worth saving. They have all of their ornamentation and are quite nice.

MidtownGuy
February 22nd, 2006, 12:28 PM
Being in their right mind, perhaps not. However, people are insane for money, and history or beauty will lose much of the time. If some gleaming tower were proposed for a block like this, I guarantee there would be many, on this very forum, who would welcome the demolition. Like I mentioned, look at what's happening with the row of old buildings on 56th. Nice, intact ornamentation unfortunately doesn't mean squat against tax revenues or rental returns.

Ninjahedge
February 22nd, 2006, 01:49 PM
Lets be fair MTG.....

Some blocks really DO need to be demolished.

I don't think anyone needs 1/2 of the stuff on the West Side (think 'Carousel'). but what they are replacing a lot with (go down to Spring and Washington) is absoulutely unforgivable.

12 story glass boxes with no other character than "I am taller than the bar next door".

I do not mind new development, but so long as they acknowledge what they are building in instead of thinking that THEY are now the dominant and defining factor of the neighborhood, I am fine with it.

MidtownGuy
February 22nd, 2006, 03:03 PM
Ninjahedge, of course I will say that I am ALWAYS fair.

And OF COURSE some blocks should be demolished. I don't disagree with much of your above post. I think my point, which may have sailed right by you, was to first give a specific example ( the street photo above) of what I meant, and then encourage people to post other photos on this thread of ordinary NY things they love and whose days may be numbered.

We are actually more in agreement on this issue than your post implies, "Lets be fair MTG....." Gimme a break.
That's it, Ninja, not every thread has to be a debate with a scorecard.

Ninjahedge
February 22nd, 2006, 03:51 PM
All I am saying MTG, is that without development, NYC would not be what it is today.

We have to be careful of not tromping all over everything in the city in our efforts to grow, but at the same time acnowledge that some places that have been put up, even at the expense of other notable little places, were worth it.

I was not trying to refute you here man, just tempering ya.

londonlawyer
February 22nd, 2006, 09:19 PM
Being in their right mind, perhaps not. However, people are insane for money, and history or beauty will lose much of the time. If some gleaming tower were proposed for a block like this, I guarantee there would be many, on this very forum, who would welcome the demolition. Like I mentioned, look at what's happening with the row of old buildings on 56th. Nice, intact ornamentation unfortunately doesn't mean squat against tax revenues or rental returns.

Sadly, you're correct. Developers can really suck.

There's a magnificent old, brick and limestone building on the east side of Lex in the 50's. A sign says that the retail tenant lost its lease and the upper 5 or 6 floors look empty. If they tear this jewel down, I will be naseous.

Gregory Tenenbaum
March 2nd, 2006, 06:51 AM
Sadly, you're correct. Developers can really suck.

There's a magnificent old, brick and limestone building on the east side of Lex in the 50's. A sign says that the retail tenant lost its lease and the upper 5 or 6 floors look empty. If they tear this jewel down, I will be naseous.

Yes I know the one.

There are also some great ones on the west side of 3rd going up from 34th up to about 40th.

Great photo there by the way.