PDA

View Full Version : Digital Photo Backup

andyschest
February 22nd, 2006, 09:08 AM
Hi. I'm not sure whether this should be here or in Qs & As so apologies if I'm in the wrong place.

Iím in the UK. Iím coming to Manhattan with my digital camera in the summer but I have a fear that some of my little memory cards are going to go missing and Iíll lose some irreplaceable pictures. I have this idea that I might back them up to CD now and then and I was wondering whether thereís anywhere that I could do this e.g. photo processing shop, internet cafť. Iím staying at the Metropolitan, Midtown but Iíll be moving around a bit. Thanks.

ManhattanKnight
February 22nd, 2006, 10:13 AM
I was wondering whether thereís anywhere that I could do this e.g. photo processing shop, internet cafť.

Manhattan is abundantly populated by photo processing shops, photocopy stores and internet cafes where you can have your memory cards archived to CDs.

ryan
February 22nd, 2006, 10:58 AM
I bought a 1 gig sd card so I wouldn't have to swap out cards (and worry about losing them). I'd save your $$ and just buy the biggest card you can afford.

andyschest
February 22nd, 2006, 11:26 AM
Manhattan is abundantly populated by photo processing shops, photocopy stores and internet cafes where you can have your memory cards archived to CDs.
Excellent. I thought it might be. I have this perception of Manhattan having everything I could possibly need. I hope I'm not raising my expectations too high.

andyschest
February 22nd, 2006, 11:31 AM
I bought a 1 gig sd card so I wouldn't have to swap out cards (and worry about losing them). I'd save your $$ and just buy the biggest card you can afford.
God idea. I suppose the down side is that all my eggs are in one basket but, if I have it with me all the time, I'm less likely to lose it. Providing I don't lose my camera, of course! It may be cheaper to buy memory when I get there. Could you recommend any stores that I might get them from. Maybe I could look at prices on their website. Thanks.

WizardOfOss
February 22nd, 2006, 07:23 PM
Since even 1GB just wasn't enough for me (it's only about 300 pictures in high-quality Jpeg, during my last visit I took 1800 pictures in 8 days...), I've bought a 40GB imagetank, this one (http://www.vosonic.com/index.php?php_mode=spec&php_itemid=34) to be exactly. Works great, it reads all types of memorycards, only 3-4 minutes for a 1GB card. Besides that, you can also use it as a portable harddrive, FM radio and mp3-player. At last some good music during the long flight...

ryan
February 22nd, 2006, 07:37 PM
Oss- 1800 photos in any span of time is pretty hardcore(!)

Andy- you should definitely check out B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/) while you're in ny - anyone with any interest in photography should. Good advice and fair prices. Just don't try to go on Sat.

WizardOfOss
February 23rd, 2006, 02:49 AM
Oss- 1800 photos in any span of time is pretty hardcore(!)
I tried to get every square inch of NYC on picture. I failed...

andyschest
February 23rd, 2006, 05:53 PM
Since even 1GB just wasn't enough for me (it's only about 300 pictures in high-quality Jpeg, during my last visit I took 1800 pictures in 8 days...), I've bought a 40GB imagetank, this one (http://www.vosonic.com/index.php?php_mode=spec&php_itemid=34) to be exactly.
I know what you mean. Several times last year I took 1000 pictures in a day in London. Some of these were the same shot at different exposures, which I sorted when I got home. I guess I'll have to change my approach a bit on my travels.

Thanks for the tip about the imagetank. I haven't seen these before. Could be very useful.

andyschest
February 23rd, 2006, 05:59 PM
Andy- you should definitely check out B&H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/) while you're in ny - anyone with any interest in photography should. Good advice and fair prices. Just don't try to go on Sat.
Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look. Might be worth me waiting until I get there to stock up on memory cards, imagetanks, video tapes etc. Got a feeling I'm going to be spending a lot of cash this vacation!