PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember Ebbets Field?

paulmcall
February 28th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Is there anyone here who remembers going to Ebbets Field?

deezee
March 1st, 2006, 10:23 AM
Is there anyone here who remembers going to Ebbets Field?
sorry, i never made it there (even though i was a yankee fan from about age 5 on). my dad grew up right near it and was a die-hard fan until they moved. then we weren't allowed to even mention the BROOKLYN dodgers or ebbets field in our house ever again. he still holds the grudge....

TREPYE
March 17th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Creating the Interior Stadium: A Baseball Fan’s Vicarious Experience through Radio
L. Scott Deaner

Picturing Ebbets Field
In the bottom of the first and top of the second innings, Barber provides a detailed description of Ebbets Field, which becomes more and more vivid in my mind. He intermingles his description with play-by-play: Dark backs out of there, takes the heavy end of his bat, knocks the clay out of his spikes. The infield has been treated with molders sand this year, it has a darkish grey color. Fine sunny afternoon [sound of wind gust], the wind is rather gusty this afternoon, at times strong and then it seems to slow down, but the prevailing course of the wind is out towards right field, which is the short field here at Ebbets Field.
For those of you who have never seen the park or never heard about it, well maybe we should describe it for you. Bankhead pitches 2-0, called strike. Right field at Ebbets field is one of the famous fields in all athletics, not just baseball alone. It’s a concrete wall in right field that goes up 20 feet off the ground, then there is an addition 20 feet of wire screen on top of it, so although the right field fence is short here at Brooklyn, it is very high, it’s 40 feet high. So you just don’t pop one into Bedford Avenue which is a big six-lane highway in back of it, or just a little bunted ball.
Foul pitch, 2 and 2. The distance down the right field line here in Brooklyn, which is relatively short, is 297 feet. Bankhead standing on the back of the mound. Over in right-center field, the wall slanting away is 395 feet. Then you have double-decked stands beginning in right-center field, going all around the rest of the park and coming right back again to the right field corner. In other words, it is just right field itself that has the wall, 20 feet of concrete, 20 feet of screen, and the scoreboard is also out there. The scoreboard is stuck out in front of it, which causes a series of angles.
The pitch, strike three swinging curveball. Well, Bankhead has struck out the first two here in the second inning, three strikeouts all total. He got out to a shaky start, walking Stanky and then having Lockman’s line drive sink in front of Russell, when it looked to be a certain catch for an out. Then Thomson hit the right field wall, the wall we were talking about. Mueller banged into a double play, the Giants had two runs, which from that time on Bankhead had gotten four outs when pitching to his last five men.
Ebbets Field is one of the smallest ballparks in the major leagues, it seats normally about 32,000. And part of its great charm is its complete intimacy with the game itself. You are never far away from the players… So whenever you are in Brooklyn, you are actually in the ballgame, so to speak, you don’t have any great chasms and great caverns and yawning distances, et cetera. You can see the players, hear them, hear what the coaches say.
There’s a lot of truth to the statement that has endured through the years. There is never a dull day with the Dodgers and certainly never at Ebbets Field. There’s something in the atmosphere around here, if something’s going to happen, it’ll happen here in Brooklyn.
Three-two pitch, a highfly ball resulted, deep out into left-center [crowd noiseincreases in volume], Russell the center fielder is under it, he got it [loud cheers masking Barber’s voice] at the end of an inning and a half it remains Giants 2 and Brooklyn nothing.”
The exceptional way here that Barber intermingles stadium descriptions with the play-by-play is essential to envisioning the wholeness of the game experience. With each new sound, I revise and finetune my interior stadium. Barber describes multiple aspects of the game in an almost simultaneous manner—weather conditions, the position of base runners, a player’s personal background, a pitcher’s motions and habits. One might think such information distracting, but the effect is much the opposite, accurately conveying all the smaller games within the larger game. This is what television fails to do.

http://www.arch.ksu.edu/seamon/Deanerspr07182.htm

nycla3
March 18th, 2010, 02:47 PM
My parents lived on Washington Avenue, across from the Botanical Gardens and around the corner from Ebbets Field when I was born in 1954. I was told that during those last years in Brooklyn, they would wheel me in my stroller into Ebbets Field around the 6th inning when we could get in for free. Can't say I remember, but evidently I was there many times.

Now the Polo Grounds? Sure...'62 and '63 when the Mets played there. Went about half a dozen times and it is indelibly etched in my mind.

In 2007, the Museum of the City of New York held a wonderful exhibition of baseball in New York between 1947 and 1957...the virtual exhibition lives on here: http://www.mcny.org/glorydays

TREPYE
March 19th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks for sharing.

Is their account of them leaving consistent with the painful accounts that we have heard through the years from other Brooklyn Dodger Fans?

Did they blame O'Malley or the City for their departure?

nycla3
March 19th, 2010, 12:49 PM
The oft told soap opera of the Dodgers and Giants splittin’ for the coast has evolved over time. The emotions of the moment were naturally raw and simplistic...that O’Malley was greedy and convinced a compliant Horace Stoneham to follow him to El Dorado. My family’s sentiment roughly followed that course at least through the ‘70’s and was part of my young mantra until I was able to start putting things into proper historical perspective.

I’ve posted a number of forum items using Robert Moses as context. His role in this passion play is one of the central tangents. The Cliff’s Notes/Wikipedia version is this:

Brooklyn Dodgers owner Walter O’Malley wanted to build a new stadium to replace the outdated and dilapidated Ebbets Field. O’Malley determined the best site for the stadium was on the corner of Atlantic Avenue and Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn at the end of the Long Island Rail Road. O’Malley pleaded with Moses to help him secure the property in a cost effective manner, but Moses wanted to use the land to build a parking garage. Moses envisioned New York’s newest stadium in Flushing Meadows on the former (and as it turned out, future) site of the World’s Fair in Queens. O’Malley was vehement in his opposition, but Moses would not be moved on this issue. After the Dodgers left for Los Angeles, and subsequently, the New York Giants to San Francisco, Moses was able to build Shea Stadium in Queens on the site he planned for stadium development. Construction began in October 1961 and the stadium opened in April 1964 to house the National League’s New York Mets.

Ironic about that little patch of grass at Atlantic and Flatbush, dontchathink?

ForestHillsGardens
March 19th, 2010, 10:11 PM
Demolished way before I was born, but I liked the old photos of the Ebbets Field, kinda like the current day Citi Field, and it really is one stadium that shined Brooklyn and it does look pretty modern too, much more modern than Shea Stadium, IMO...

Ninjahedge
March 24th, 2010, 09:20 AM
That's what (we) intended with it. To give it that feel, the kind of classic look.

Admittedly, though, it has quite a few modernizations, such as use of precast masonry facade pieces and the like.

But that front rotunda/atrium trusswork was a hoot!