PDA

View Full Version : Rest in Peace J.B. Hehman (TLOZ Link5)

Pages : [1] 2

NoyokA
April 4th, 2006, 02:02 PM
OMG! I cannot believe this has just happened!

I woke up this morning feeling really badly, not exactly knowing why, and then I read that J.B. Hehman (TLOZ) was hit by a car on Saturday and is braindead. Saturday was the last day he posted at Wired New York. I am almost in tears writing this. I cannot believe this. Hopefully everyone else can make more sense out of this then I can. I dont feel this is an appropriate tribute. Ill surely devote more time and energy to him later, surely he deserved as much... He deserves that we all take some time out of our day and atleast acknowledge the person he was. A very small aspect of his life and our lives, this forum will never be the same.

Fabrizio
April 4th, 2006, 03:48 PM
I cannot believe this. I´m in shock. What a nice nice fellow. Oh my. oh my....

Schadenfrau
April 4th, 2006, 04:53 PM
Oh my gosh, I read that story yesterday. I had no idea that was TLOZ. What a tragic end for such a kind, smart man. This is just terrible.

NoyokA
April 4th, 2006, 05:04 PM
Oh my gosh, I read that story yesterday. I had no idea that was TLOZ. What a tragic end for such a kind, smart man. This is just terrible.

I find it hard to believe as well...

NYTIMES:

April 3, 2006
Man Hit by Car; Witnesses Say He Was Chased
By THE NEW YORK TIMES

A college student was struck and injured by a car on Saturday evening when he darted into a busy Harlem intersection, a witness and a law enforcement official said yesterday. The official said the police were investigating reports that the victim was being chased.

The student, Broderick Hehman, 20, a junior at New York University, was in critical condition at Harlem Hospital Center yesterday, the police said. The driver of the car, a 38-year-old man who was not identified yesterday, remained at the scene of the accident. He was not charged.

The police were trying to determine why Mr. Hehman ran into the intersection, at 125th Street and Park Avenue. Witnesses told investigators that it appeared that Mr. Hehman was being chased by several young men, the law enforcement official said.

David Jones, a homeless man who sells used goods at the intersection, said he witnessed the accident, which took place about 8:30. "They were trying to beat him," he said. "Some kids were trying to beat him." Mr. Hehman, who ran east on 125th Street, turned south into the intersection, he said, and then was hit by the car, which the police said was a silver Mercedes-Benz.

An uncle, Andy Hehman, said his nephew was an urban studies major at N.Y.U. "He's a very warm person," he said at the hospital last night. "He never lets you get out of there with just a handshake. It always had to be a hug."

Marksix
April 4th, 2006, 05:12 PM
I only knew the guy from his posts but from them he seems the kind of person we can ill afford to lose. My condolences to those who knew him better than I. :(

NYatKNIGHT
April 4th, 2006, 05:13 PM
How horrible! That's so, so sad.

czsz
April 4th, 2006, 06:01 PM
I can't believe this. I didn't know this was him. He was friends with my girlfriend at NYU...unbelievable.

I hope they determine what really happened there...

NewYorkYankee
April 4th, 2006, 07:20 PM
I dont know the words to say... I can only pray for his family and remember the good conversations and advice he gave to me in the short time I knew him.

lofter1
April 4th, 2006, 07:48 PM
This is really sad.

My heartfelt wishes go out to JB / TLOZ and his family.

I hope they know what great value he's brought to the wired new york community -- and how much he's missed.

"Golden Lads and Girls all must, as chimney sweepers, come to dust"

W. Shakespeare - Cymbeline

infoshare
April 4th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I am shocked and saddend by this.......I did not know him personally but I always enjoyed reading his posts........this is just very sad.

antinimby
April 4th, 2006, 09:58 PM
The article only said he was in critical condition and in the hospital, so I'm only going to believe that he'll recover and hopefully return to this forum soon. Either way, TLOZ, our prayers are with you. If only there were more people like you and less of those that were chasing you, this world would be so much better off.

ablarc
April 4th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Oh my God, this is so sad.

TLOZ, we'll all miss you.

At Wired New York he was always good-natured, never a wrangler, a model of forum decorum for us all.

A gentle soul.

ablarc
April 4th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Let's all of us pray for his recovery; maybe we'll be heard.

ZippyTheChimp
April 4th, 2006, 10:24 PM
I read the newspaper story, and I must say, just gave it a passing thought, more wondering if those that chased this young man gave it more than a passing thought.

Now I'm reminded how our lives touch so many others.

TLOZ was the good guy on this forum, so I pray he somehow recovers and returns. If not, I wish his family the strength they will need.

NoyokA
April 4th, 2006, 11:55 PM
The thing I find hardest to believe is first how very young he was. But I am more distraught over how very smart he was; his death is such a waste. I fear that he will not be remembered, because I know if he had lived his life, he would have done great things. He had great potential and he was a kind and gentle being, and he will be missed.

Here's some pictures and information about our friend J.B. from facebook...

http://photos-582.facebook.com/n12/114/107/802152/n802152_30907582_5093.jpg

http://photos-575.facebook.com/n12/114/107/802152/n802152_30907575_5267.jpg
J.B. gives us his most heartfelt Led Zeppelin

http://photos-199.facebook.com/n13/0/34/802837/n802837_30714199_8012.jpg

http://photos-194.facebook.com/n13/0/34/802837/n802837_30714194_6547.jpg

http://photos-193.facebook.com/n13/0/34/802837/n802837_30714193_6260.jpg

http://photos-188.facebook.com/n13/0/34/802837/n802837_30714188_4748.jpg

http://photos-907.facebook.com/n13/0/34/802837/n802837_15142907_3743.jpg

http://photos-883.facebook.com/n13/0/34/802837/n802837_15142883_3138.jpg

http://photos-823.facebook.com/n13/0/34/802837/n802837_15142823_1315.jpg

http://photos-816.facebook.com/n13/0/34/802837/n802837_15142816_1123.jpg

The irony is according to his facebook he was taking a course in Urban Violence in America. For the thugs that were chasing him, I have to ask for what? Is his life worth a monetary value? I realize the system is complicated and the thugs have a mountain of injustices working against them. That said, reading what J.B. posts he was someone who would try and change these injustices. The truth is that the thugs could probably careless about the death of a first-class young man. The obvious lesson is not to run from thugs and just participate in a hold-up. But things aren’t as simple as they seem and things shouldn’t be the way there are. The big picture is simply this sucks, this hurts, and this is a harsh reality. I would however like to see J.B. remembered. I don't think I'm alone in my thinking that he would have amounted to something great. All of us saw it, whether we knew him in life or just on these boards. J.B.'s makeup, his character was off the charts. J.B. is already yesterdays news and in this city his name will not be long remembered. I do not think he deserves such a fate. And I do not it is too much to ask that his name is somehow memorialized on this forum, he was without question one of this forums greatest assets.

I would like to hear suggestions?

ablarc
April 5th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Good thought, Stern, but best would be his recovery.

Is there any hope of that?

ryan
April 5th, 2006, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the photos Stern - he obviously knew how to enjoy life, and I echo all the compliments - he really was one of the best.

I feel for his family - with his mother passing away in the fall they must really be in a horrible place. If anyone has any idea at all for helping them I'm in (drawing a blank at the moment).

Schadenfrau
April 5th, 2006, 02:37 AM
It's so soon, but JB loved this city so much that a public memorial only seems fitting. A bench, a mural, I don't know. This is just heartbreaking.

ryan
April 5th, 2006, 02:52 AM
From JB's friend on Livejournal:

JB was in Harlem on a way to see his friend Patrick. He was going to see him before going to dinner to see our friend Abby, and I was to join them for drinks. On his way, JB was noticed by either a person or a few people, and was going to get mugged. JB tried to run, and ran east of 125th street. While passing underneath the underpass, a car came and hit him. The car couldn't avoid him, and JB couldn't see traffic from the right.

Derek2k3
April 5th, 2006, 02:58 AM
Just terrible.

NoyokA
April 5th, 2006, 03:06 AM
Good thought, Stern, but best would be his recovery.

Is there any hope of that?

No there is no hope of that. A friend of JB has confirmed that he has infact passed away. He is no longer with us. He has told me that his organs were harvested, so that even in his death JB was selfless.

It's so soon, but JB loved this city so much that a public memorial only seems fitting. A bench, a mural, I don't know. This is just heartbreaking.

Thats an excellent idea, Im not going to let him just pass and be forgotten. He was hit at 125th and Park, why not put a mural on the wall that used to hold ads for Harlem Park. Ironically Harlem Park at 125th and Park was a development JB supported and actively followed...

http://graphics7.nytimes.com/images/2004/08/29/realestate/harlem.184.2.space.650.jpg

I would like to hear some more feedback...

infoshare
April 5th, 2006, 12:34 PM
SWIFT has sailed into his rest;
Savage indignation there
Cannot lacerate his breast.
Imitate him if you dare,
World-besotted traveller; he
Served human liberty.

By William Butle Yeats

JMGarcia
April 5th, 2006, 01:10 PM
My last interaction with him from the day the accident. This is so very upsetting.

If you ask me, the average Miami apartment tower is vastly more interesting than the average New York one.

I'll second that. At least they don't used exposed floor slabs in the facade as architectural details.

Ninjahedge
April 5th, 2006, 01:22 PM
/Me gets the heebie jeebies.

I am sad about him and the loss we all are experiencing. I am also livid about the guys that caused this to happen.

This is senseless.

And the impotence to do anything about it is equally frustrating as the sense of loss of a valued community member.

To all his family members and friends, my feelings are with you.

:(

ManhattanKnight
April 5th, 2006, 02:16 PM
This is really sad.

My heartfelt wishes go out to JB / TLOZ and his family.

I hope they know what great value he's brought to the wired new york community -- and how much he's missed.
A couple of years ago, someone in another online forum that I frequent noticed a several days’ absence of postings by one of the forum’s most brilliant, prolific and generous members and learned of his death (in a bicycle accident) in an online obituary in his hometown newspaper. That discovery prompted dozens of postings about our memories of this man and his contributions to the discussions and messages to and from his wife and children, who, as it turned out, knew nothing about his participation in the forum. By the time that some members thought it might be appropriate to assemble his writings and present them to his family, many had been archived off the forum beyond recovery because of software limitations.

If someone here knows TLOZ's family and friends and believes that they would appreciate having a collection of his postings here, putting together a CD with them should be easy enough.

Kris
April 5th, 2006, 02:58 PM
I am shocked and saddened by this loss.

Here is an eloquent post by TLOZ Link5 from this thread (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5562):

New York has had many golden ages. They just take different forms and affect different aspects of the City.

From the 1890s to the 1920s New York came into its own by founding great institutions of culture, digging the first subways, and erecting the first skyscrapers. The Great Depression and World War II formed the era of "classic" New York, architecturally speaking (Art Deco) and culturally speaking (Broadway plays like 42nd Street, etc). This era might have ended with the 1939 World's Fair or with World War II.

From 1945 to 1964 was a period of great prosperity, the time when the City bore witness to the era that could be, taken at face value, be unanimously classified as a true "golden age." Suburbanization, rising crime, and the assassination of JFK hastened the end of this golden age, whose true end might have been the 1964 World's Fair.

The mid-to-late '60s, in addition to the early '70s, was a time when the arts and counterculture were both in full swing. This was the era of Fiddler on the Roof, the beginnings of Greenwich Village as we know it today, and a high-water mark for fashion and the arts, rivalling and possibly surpassing Paris itself.

Despite the apocalyptic aura of the City in the '70s, arts and nightlife boomed; this was Andy Warhol's finest hour; the years when Talking Heads, the New York Dolls and the Ramones lit up CBGBs; when the parties at Studio 54 lasted till noon the next day. Socially and financially, the City was dying fast in the disco years, but it evoked Rome in the last days as hedonists consumed themselves in one last reckless orgy without fear — or knowledge — of the consequences.

The '80s were when the City began to come back from the edge, slowly but surely. Breakdancing, the Mets winning the World Series, the beginnings of revival in many Lower Manhattan neighborhoods. New York University was shedding its image as a backwater commuter school (N-Y-Jew was the popular moniker of the time) to a presitigious university to rival the Ivies. The population decline had stopped, businesses moved back in, and real estate boomed. Battery Park City, a new neighborhood, rose out of the Hudson. It seemed that the City was going to make it. After the crash of the stock market, it all seemed to unravel — into another golden age.

The late '80s and early '90s were The Bonfire of the Vanities come to life. The City was falling apart yet again, yet signs of tentative rebirth were seen as residential real estate continued to boom and the arts and cultural scenes became the patrons of sophisticated City dwellers as opposed to tourists. It was a wild, historic era; a true tale of two cities who shared the same land, a fascinating study.

The mid- to late '90s saw a decline in crime, a real reinvestment in many downtrodden neighborhoods, a new image for a City once written off as a decimated relic of a bygone era. People across the nation and around the world truly wanted to move here. However bourgeoisie-oriented this new golden age was, the City maintained its position as the beacon of civilization — and unofficial capital of the world — that it was always meant to hold.

This golden age came to a crashing halt after 9/11, which spawned a new golden age. There was a sense of people coming together to comfort one another, to share in their experiences and losses. Many New Yorkers began to truly appreciate and love where they lived and feel a deep pride for a City they took for granted. (I was one of them.) That era lasted a few months, but we all remember it poignantly.

This new golden age continues to heal the City's social problems, while racial tensions that were prominent in Giuliani's mayoralty are also easing. But this golden age seeks the resurgence of all of the City's neighborhoods and boroughs, from the Bronx to Brooklyn and from Staten Island to Hollis. It's no longer simply about Manhattan anymore; "New York" now regularly brings to mind Brooklyn and Queens as well. It is this New York that embodies the urban success story in this country, as Americans began to believe in many of their cities once more.

BrooklynRider
April 5th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Wow! This is both shocking and incredibly sad. What a terrible loss for us and, of course, his loved ones. If there is anyone here who knew him well? I would be very interested in contributing to any memorial fund.

I am just so overcome with sadness for him. His mom just succumbed to cancer recently. I'll throw the first $100 toward any fund we can create to honor his memory. I think a tree in a park or perhaps a sponsored bench in Hudson River Park.

I had some PMs with him during the release of the movie Rent and while he was mourning his mom's passing. I know he was a supporter of a non-profit called Friends In Deed in SOHO.

www.FriendsInDeed.org

They do great work with people facing life threatening illnesses.

I'm rather surprised by how strong my reaction is to this news. Again, another clear indication of the true communiity we have here at WNY.

I hate to be questioning this again, but it is absolutely certain that there is no chance of recovery? My God. He was (is) a good soul.

BrooklynRider
April 5th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I contacted Hudson River Park. They do not have a program to plant commermorative trees.

Anyone know the area where he was hit? Are their parks or perhaps some green-street type ares we could beautify with plantngs and a plaque?

BrooklynRider
April 5th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Thats an excellent idea, Im not going to let him just pass and be forgotten. He was hit at 125th and Park, why not put a mural on the wall that used to hold ads for Harlem Park. Ironically Harlem Park at 125th and Park was a development JB supported and actively followed...

I would like to hear some more feedback...

I'm in if we can get permission for a mural.

FYI from NY Post:

AUTO HITS MAN AS HE FLEES THUGS

By SARAH GARLAND & TATIANA DELIGIANNAKIS
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 3, 2006 -- An NYU student was clinging to life yesterday after a gang of robbers chased him into a Harlem street where he was hit by a car, shaken relatives said.

John Broderick "J.B." Hehman, 20, was in critical condition in Harlem Hospital's intensive-care unit with a fractured skull and a broken leg. Doctors were also monitoring Hehman for possible brain damage, relatives said.

His sister, Marisa, said he was on his way to meet a friend at about 10:30 p.m. Saturday when the horrifying events unfolded.

She said he was being chased down the street by several would-be robbers.

Cops said Hehman, who lives in Manhattan, was struck at Park Avenue and East 125th Street by a Mercedes going east on 125th.

The driver stayed at the scene of the accident and is not expected to face charges.

"When we heard the crash, we thought it was two cars - it was such a loud noise," said a man who works near the scene. "I couldn't believe it was a person."

Marisa Hehman said her brother is an urban-affairs student at NYU. "We're very distraught, very worried," she said. "This is our worst nightmare."

Their mother died of cancer six months ago, she added.

Additional reporting by Larry Celona

antinimby
April 5th, 2006, 10:24 PM
Well, if it is confirmed that he is no longer with us, then it is truly, truly, very sad.
But we should now look past his awful passing and rejoice in knowing that he is now in a much better, happier place.
Joining to be, once again with his beloved mother. It was only yesterday, when someone brought that up did I realize the pain and sorrow you must have been through when you lost your cherished mother only just recently and how it seemed from your posts that you had seeked emotional support from this forum (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7564). TLOZ, you will be missed tremendously here and no doubt by all your family and friends.

I'll always remember him for his clever, yet always well-informed and certainly entertaining posts but most of all for his tireless defense of New York, a city that is a little bit worse off today than the day before you left.

TLOZ, I have the utmost confidence that the city that you loved so much will have the brightest of future ahead with you looking out for it from above. Farewell and best wishes.

I would like to hear some more feedback...Does anyone have any idea what NYU is doing? Maybe people here can join in whatever they may have planned. As for this site, I think there should be a day devoted to his memory by locking out all new posts for just one day so everyone can reflect and be aware of his significant contributions to this forum.

Strattonport
April 6th, 2006, 10:33 AM
I caught this story only now, I also heard it on 1010 WINS, although I didn't know it was actually a member here until I caught the story here.

I pray for him and his family and friends. I hope those thugs are caught.

BrooklynRider
April 6th, 2006, 10:51 AM
We can also create a reward fund to help capture his assailants.

ablarc
April 6th, 2006, 11:24 AM
We can also create a reward fund to help capture his assailants.
Great idea. You can count on my $100 toward this.

BrooklynRider
April 6th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Anyone else up for this?

Comelade
April 6th, 2006, 11:39 AM
all my condolences has its family and her friends. hello sadness, foul weather

ZippyTheChimp
April 6th, 2006, 11:59 AM
Anyone else up for this?
An admirable thought, but let's face it, the prospect of getting a satisfying result in court is very limited.

Maybe we should concentrate on something more uplifting. TLOZ was an NYU student, and Washington Square is scheduled to begin renovation. Maybe Parks Dept would allow us to pay for a new tree (my choice) or piece of park furniture - with a plaque.

Fabrizio
April 6th, 2006, 12:13 PM
A tree would be nice.

JMGarcia
April 6th, 2006, 12:21 PM
An admirable thought, but let's face it, the prospect of getting a satisfying result in court is very limited.

Maybe we should concentrate on something more uplifting. TLOZ was an NYU student, and Washington Square is scheduled to begin renovation. Maybe Parks Dept would allow us to pay for a new tree (my choice) or piece of park furniture - with a plaque.

Great idea. I'd go for either but I think a piece of park furniture, a place to sit and talk, would be best IMO. Hopefully a conversation about urban issues would take place there at times.

ablarc
April 6th, 2006, 12:27 PM
Sad commentary on the state of our justice system, if true.

What's the best plausible outcome: found guilty of involuntary manslaughter, followed by suspended sentence or probation?

Schadenfrau
April 6th, 2006, 12:57 PM
I think the biggest problem might be that the kids won't be tried as adults.

Since they were in the process of committing a felony when TLOZ was hit, it will be easier to bring harsher charges.

ManhattanKnight
April 6th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I think the biggest problem might be that the kids won't be tried as adults.

Since they were in the process of committing a felony when TLOZ was hit, it will be easier to bring harsher charges.

The sketchy facts about this horror-story related in the press do not support conclusions about whether any criminal activity occurred here, what it was, or how it might be punished. Anyone who, while commiting a felony, chases a victim into oncoming traffic resulting in his death could, under NY law, be guilty of second degree murder. Something like that happened in a notorious Michigan case a few years ago, Michigan v. Welch (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_n1_v90/ai_18308730),that inspired a Law & Order episode involving a victim who jumped to her death from the Brooklyn Bridge after her car was deliberately rammed by a hired thug trying to frighten her. But, again, the known facts are too few to support any informed speculation.

Edward
April 6th, 2006, 01:30 PM
J.B. Hehman - TLOZ Link5 – joined our forum on 13 November 2002, three and a half years ago, he made 3,320 posts since then, his last post was on Saturday, 1 April 2006, at 06:06 pm.

His death is a tragic and painful affair, and every aspect of it multiplies the pain – the bewildering circumstances of his death, his young age, his involvement in this forum, the unfulfilled promise of his talents, the suffering of his family, and our helplessness in front of it all.

Ninjahedge
April 6th, 2006, 01:34 PM
4½ hours........ :(

NoyokA
April 6th, 2006, 01:38 PM
I think we should seperate threads. One thread should be about JB's life and remembering him another should be about an appropriate memorial/finding the thugs that were chasing him.

That said I found this article rather refreshing...

Washington Square News:

Students mourn friend's death

By Barbara Leonard

April 06, 2006

CAS junior Broderick John Hehman — whom his friends called “JB” — passed away on Tuesday from injuries he sustained when he was hit by a car on Saturday.

Hehman, 20, was in Harlem Saturday night when he darted into the path of a silver Mercedes-Benz at the intersection of 125th Street and Park Avenue, police officials said.

The accident occurred because Hehman was attempting to flee muggers whom he encountered while walking to meet a friend in the neighborhood, according to the weblog of his close friend, Paco Secada, a Gallatin senior.

After being hospitalized for skull and leg fractures at Harlem Hospital, Hehman slipped into a coma and was pronounced brain-dead on Monday, his father, Thomas Hehman, said.

A resident of the Upper East Side, Hehman graduated The Summit School in Queens, N.Y. in 2003. At NYU, he was a metropolitan studies major and peer educator at large for NYU residence halls, his friend CAS junior Antonella Inserra said.

Becoming a peer educator was very important to Hehman, said Inserra, who lived on the same Brittany residence hall floor as Hehman during their freshman year.

“He told me, ‘I really want to help do what I can for people,’ ” she said. “When he got it, he was so excited.”

Memories like Hehman’s friendly enthusiasm, weekly bubble tea get-togethers and penchant for Prince will serve as a constant reminder of what Inserra said she will miss about her friend.

“All I can think about right now is just how amazingly open a person he was,” Inserra said. “As soon as he’d see you, it’d be instant hugs — always, constantly.”

For CAS junior Carrie Kaidan, Hehman’s devotion to Prince music demonstrated his uninhibited personality.

“I hosted a kareoke during Welcome Week this past Fall — he came and sang Prince like it was his job,” Kaidan, who first met Hehman at an NYU pre-college writing course in 2003, said in an e-mail. “He never let people judge him. Anyone who knew him respected his talent, his intellect and his humor.”

Hehman’s friend and CAS senior Diana Gonzalez said she met JB a few summers ago when they worked together raising funds door-to-door for a nonprofit organization.

“JB was a treasure, and what happened is nothing short of an absolute tragedy,” Gonzalez said in an e-mail. “He was too young, too good and caring, had too much promise to die. I keep thinking over and over that this really is proof that there is no justice in this world.”

Inserra said she bonded with Hehman over his love for opera and “Lord of the Rings” author J.R.R. Tolkien.

“He was really good at talking or listening,” she said. “He would always say something either hilarious or something that would make you sit back and think.”

Secada, one of Hehman’s closest friends, said he and his late friend’s family decided not to comment about Hehman’s life to the press because they would be unable to do him justice.

“We just want to grieve and that’s it,” said Secada, who is planning an open memorial for those who want to commemorate Hehman’s life.

Inserra said the memorial will likely be held after Easter when more people will be available to “remember him and celebrate the life he had.”

Before the accident, Hehman recently told those close to him that they should not cry over his death, Inserra said. She added that such discussions probably arose from the fact that his mother died in October.

“He didn’t want people to feel sad if anything should happen to him,” Inserra said. “He wanted to assure people that it was OK to laugh. He said, ‘It’s okay, and you can still live.’ ”

JMGarcia
April 6th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I saw a blurb in the Post on this and it seems as if the police are treating it as a hate crime. :(

Its just so sad.

NoyokA
April 6th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Remembering JB:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8910

czsz
April 6th, 2006, 02:00 PM
http://a.abclocal.go.com/images/wabc/cms_exf_2005/news/NYUstudentHOR_040606.jpg

NYU student hit by car dies Eyewitness News

(New York -WABC, April 6, 2006) - An NYU student hit by a car during a robbery attempt over the weekend has died.

Twenty-year-old Broderick Hehman was taken off life support yesterday. He'd been in critical condition since being hit by a car in Harlem Saturday night. Police say he was running from a gang of teenagers who may have been yelling racial slurs at him.

No arrests have been made. Police are aggressively searching for the teens who were chasing Hehman.

czsz
April 6th, 2006, 02:04 PM
(NY Post article)

'HATE' KILLED NYU KID
By LARRY CELONA, ERIKA MARTINEZ and CYNTHIA R. FAGEN

April 6, 2006 -- The NYPD hate-crimes unit is probing a report that a white NYU student killed by a car in Harlem was fleeing a gang of black teenagers screaming "Get whitey!" sources said yesterday.

If the report proves true, the violence could turn out to be an eerie replay in reverse of the infamous 1986 Howard Beach murder, where a black man was chased into traffic and killed by a group of white bigots.

The 20-year-old student, John Broderick Hehman, died yesterday, six days after the attack.

The sources said Hehman might have been targeted as a soft mark for robbers after the teenage gang spotted the caring urban-studies major handing pocket change to a wheelchair- bound man near the corner of 125th Street and Park Avenue Saturday night.

The gang of youths, some of them as young as 11, had been smoking pot inside a nearby Popeye's fast-food eatery at 8:30 p.m. when they spotted Hehman walking by and then stopping to help the handicapped man.

An anonymous caller later tipped the CrimeStoppers hot line that a group of youths screamed, "Get Whitey!" and ran toward him.

Witnesses said Hehman fled into traffic against the light and was hit by a Mercedes-Benz traveling east on 125th Street.

The 38-year-old driver remained at the scene and was not charged.

"When we heard the crash, we thought it was two cars - it was such a loud noise," said a witness.

"I couldn't believe it was a person," he said.

Hehman, known as "J.B.," had been in a coma since he was struck.

He died of massive head trauma at Harlem Hospital.

His sister, Marisa, said he had been walking to meet a friend when he was attacked.

His father, Manhattan investment banker Thomas Hehman, lives on the Upper East Side.

On a student Web site, Hehman joked his off-campus interests included "doing laundry."

Meanwhile, cops yesterday fanned out around the area where the attack occurred looking for witnesses and putting up fliers.

In the notorious Howard Beach case, John Lester, 17, confronted a group of three black men whose car had broken down in the predominately white Queens neighborhood.

Lester, shouting, "Kill the n-----s," chased one of the black men, Michael Griffith, onto the Belt Parkway where he was struck and killed by a car.

larry.celona@nypost.com

Fabrizio
April 6th, 2006, 02:16 PM
"... spotted the caring urban-studies major handing pocket change to a wheelchair- bound man."

Ninjahedge
April 6th, 2006, 02:22 PM
I was afraid to ask, and I still am.

But fear is not the reason why I am not asking. I just do not think it is appropriate. NO reason that results in this would be an appropriate one.

Problem is, I keep sitting here thinking about all the "what-if's" as if I could have done a damn thing to have prevented this. I don't know if anyone else feels this way, but it is very frustrating.

I hardly even knew the guy! But he is akin to the light fixture you notice more when gone and realize how integral he was to the room. There were places he lit up that few of us saw and we will be hard pressed to see them again without him.

I hope his pain was short, and that his family is taking this well.

BrooklynRider
April 6th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Ninjah-

I sense you are articulating how we all feel. It is a genuine loss for us. We're all anonymous on here, but we are all real and develop our own quirky on-line personalities. He was someone I think most of us felt a great deal of affection for. For me especially, when he explained the TLOZ stood for The Legend of Zelda. I hope people jump over to the remembering JB thread and help us find a way to memorialize his life and contributions to the forum.

BrooklynRider
April 6th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Reading this post from March 9, 2004 is like a punch in the gut...

Most of New York is very safe to walk around at night, but you should always be wary of your surroundings because even the nicest of neighborhoods have some crime. I've never been mugged, even in notorios neighborhoods like Harlem, but always be on your guard.

Here are a few tips:

Walk assertively, confidently, briskly and close to the curb, like a native New Yorker. Like in any city, pickpockets and the like prey on anyone who looks like a tourist; easy marks. If you must look around or above you to take in the sights, try and be nonchalant about it.

Always have a MetroCard, enough money for cab fare, and loose change to use a payphone if you don't have a cell phone on you. This isn't necessarily due to staying safe, but if you're stuck in TriBeCa when your hotel is on 57th Street you'll want to be able to get back without having to walk.

At night, walk on the avenues or major streets (examples would by 59th, 57th, 42nd, and 14th) where there are more people and lights; random crime more often occurs on sidestreets that don't have as many nightspots or streetlights. If you think you're being followed, several options are available to you: pretend to call someone up on your cell phone (if you have it) and have a pretend conversation that would make passersby believe you're just about to meet someone. You could also duck into a restaurant, shop, hotel, "doorman" apartment building, or other place along these lines and wait until the person you suspect passes. If they wait outside or go inside with you, ask to speak to a hostess or manager and have them call the police (be sure to do this in a nondescript way if you're followed in). Often this will turn out to be a false alarm, but safety should come first. If the option of going into a place of business is not available, draw attention to yourself while you still have the option of doing so—going into a psychotic/schizophrenic fit has actually worked for a lot of my friends when they're in a sticky situation.

Even when you have the light or there don't seem to be any cars around, look in the direction traffic is coming from, (or both if it's a two-way street) as well as where it's turning onto. For example, if you're on the southeast corner of Ninth Street and Broadway and crossing to the southeast corner when you have the light, make sure that there is no crosstown traffic turning from Ninth onto Broadway. And always give taxi drivers the right of way.

The subways are safe, but stay away from the edge of the platform if you're worried about being shoved in (probably won't happen, of course, but be on the safe side if you have doubts). Late at night, ride in the more-occupied cars, namely the middle one where the conductor is or the front car where the driver is.

The parks are also safe, even at night, but it's not a good idea to go in them after dark. Joggers and people walking on their way home will do this with no problem, but there's always a chance of being mugged (though that chance is increasingly slimmer, thank God); or if you get into some other kind of trouble like get lost or hurt yourself, there probably won't be any people around to help you.

It's generally advised to visitors lodging in hotels, no matter the destination, to flip their deadbolts in addition to the automatic locks on their doors. I'd do this here, as well.

Use your common sense, above all things.

Have fun!

Schadenfrau
April 6th, 2006, 06:30 PM
It's a tragic irony that TLOZ was one of the more pragmatic and kind people you could hope to meet in this city.

I think it's important to read TLOZ's words as he intended them, and not project your own ideas of how he would phrase things now. He spent twenty years building up his opinions and ideas, and it's a disservice to his life to throw that away.

BrooklynRider
April 6th, 2006, 07:14 PM
It just eats at me that someone who seemed to try to find and emphasize the positive side of things falls prey like this. I think it goes back to Ninjah's post and the "what if's."

I have to admit to finding this whole experience extremely odd and disturbing. We come to these forums cloaked in anonymity, which lets us post without much recourse from others other than criticism. We think we are anonymous and then here we (or "I" anyway) realize that where ever we choose to inject our spirit and energy - even without a physical persona - we are not anonymous and we are no longer unaffected.

It's an interesting sociological study. He we all are in a virtual mourning, sharing it with the only people who would understand - none of whom we actually know. It is all "virtual", but it seems to me that we are all sharing a very real place that we all created together.

Being somewhat older, I think the youth of JB and seeing a bright light go out so tragically is just touching something in me.

antinimby
April 6th, 2006, 08:03 PM
In hindsight, it would have been better for him to confront those thugs than run from them. Getting beat up and robbed would've gotten him some bruises and cuts but he'd still be around today and who knows, might even be telling us about it right now just like the time he was in Bushwick (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4478):

Funny thing is, the trouble for me started when I got off the subway in Bushwick. Three guys were walking ahead of me and my friend, and they kept looking over their shoulders at us, as if plotting their next move to coincide with ours. It was obvious enough to my friend, who is from Washington Heights, that they were plotting whether to mug us, and even naïve little old me could tell something was off, too.

On our way back to the subway, a gaggle of hipsters — there must have been 30 of them; why do they always travel in packs? — swarmed out of the darkness — there are practically no streetlights there — just as we reached the station. It was surreal.

In most parts, Bushwick needs a lot of work. There's very little active streetlife like in the Village or even in Willimsburgh; truly residential areas aside, the dense concentration of warehouses create blank walls at ground level with little opportunity for retail without serious renovations: housing projects for hipsters. By comparison, I felt safer in Bed-Stuy because the area I went to was mostly rowhouses with front stoops, with a main commercial strip just a few blocks away.

In any case, I don't judge Brooklyn by what happens in Bushwick, and no one with any sense would do that either. It's like judging Boston by what happens in Dorchester.

sonhomeu01
April 7th, 2006, 04:34 PM
I read that one of you thought it would be nice to collect all of JB's postings and put them on the cd. I think his father and sister would both like that. If you want to do that, you could send it to me and I would give it to them. I am a friend of the family.

ZippyTheChimp
April 7th, 2006, 04:36 PM
New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com

Harlem thugs tied to vid

BY RICH SCHAPIRO and TONY SCLAFANI
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
Friday, April 7th, 2006

The Harlem hooligans who killed an NYU student by chasing him into the path of a car were videotaped trashing a nearby McDonald's, law enforcement sources revealed yesterday.

The footage could prove crucial in the hunt for the teens who screamed "Get the white boy!" as they chased John Broderick Hehman, 20, into traffic Saturday, the sources said.

At least two dozen punks were caught on video terrorizing workers at the E. 125th St. McDonald's on March 24 - a week before Hehman was fatally injured a block away, sources said.

The suspects - including black teens who sources say attacked Hehman - kicked over trash cans, hurled trays through the air and knocked around registers, a witness said.

"I was terrified. I literally thought they were all going to jump over the counter and come after us," said McDonald's manager Maria Prandy, 33, who was hit in the face with a tray. "I've never been as scared as I was that night."

Cops recognized some of the faces on the video, and homicide detectives and investigators from the Hate Crimes Task Force were scouring the neighborhood for witnesses yesterday. Police also plastered posters in storefronts and on poles asking for the public's help. One witness has already come forward.

Investigators believe the three teens who confronted Hehman are part of the roving gang that has wreaked havoc in several stores along 125th St. One teen was arrested after the March 24 incident, sources said. Five other teens involved with the McDonald's ruckus were in custody last night, sources said, but the three who accosted Hehman were still on the loose.

"They're punks. They're destroying these places," a police source said. "They pretty much prey on anyone in the neighborhood."

Chatting on a cell phone on his way to visit a buddy, Hehman was confronted outside a Popeye's fast-food joint at 125th St. and Park Ave. at 8:30 p.m. Saturday, sources said. "I'm almost there," he told the pal before the line went dead, sources said.

After Hehman handed a wheelchair-bound homeless man a dollar bill, one of his attackers asked him, "What about us? Where's our dollar?' " the sources said.

They then pushed Hehman and screamed "Get the white boy!" as the frightened NYU junior darted into the street where he was run down by a silver Mercedes.

Hehman died Wednesday at Harlem Hospital. His death is being probed as a possible hate crime.

The attack echoes the infamous Howard Beach case in 1986 when a group of racist white thugs chased a black man onto the Belt Parkway where he was struck and killed by a car.

lofter1
April 7th, 2006, 08:16 PM
It looks like some good detective work might flush these guys out.

I hope so -- I've been thinking a lot over the past couple of days about who could have caused JB's death. And how could they just walk / run away from the scene?

It's sad that, even though there was video from an incident with this gang one week before JB was killed, it was only after JB's death that the video was looked at in a serious way to get these punks off the streets.

Ironic that even in his passing JB might end up doing a lot of good for a lot of people.

BrooklynRider
April 8th, 2006, 03:27 AM
The greatest assest to him in life and death is the seemingly positive and productive people he surrounded himself with. I think there's A LOT of energy being generated for his good and ultimately his justice from this site alone. I think he would be pleased to know what a unifying force he has become.

Fabrizio
April 8th, 2006, 06:34 AM
I can´t get this story out of my mind.

Is it continuing to get coverage in NY? It should be a cause célèbre. This was a hate crime... there were racial taunts. There should be zero tolerance for this stuff. It´s happened before and should never happen again in NY. This story should be getting a lot of coverage...it should be an example... with a major effort to get these punks.

ZippyTheChimp
April 8th, 2006, 08:40 AM
The case has been moved to Homicide at the NYPD.

April 8, 2006

Chase Led Man Into Car's Path

By THE NEW YORK TIMES

A 20-year-old college student who was struck and killed by a car last week in Harlem was chased into a busy road while fleeing a group of young men during what may have been a bias attack, the authorities said yesterday.

The death of the student, Broderick Hehman of Manhattan, a junior at New York University, was ruled a homicide by the city medical examiner, who found that while the direct cause was head trauma, Mr. Hehman had been fleeing assailants when he was struck, a spokeswoman for the medical examiner said yesterday.

On April 1, Mr. Hehman darted into the intersection at 125th Street and Park Avenue, where he was hit by a silver Mercedes-Benz, the police said. A witness, a homeless man named David Jones who sells used goods at the intersection, said that just before the collision, he saw a group of men trying to attack the student. Mr. Hehman died on Tuesday.

Investigators have two theories concerning the killing, a law enforcement official said yesterday: that about eight young men, some of them teenagers, were trying to rob Mr. Hehman; or that the group, at least one among them using a racial epithet, singled him out because he was white.

Police questioned a few men yesterday, the official said, adding that no arrests had been made.

Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company

lofter1
April 8th, 2006, 10:56 AM
I found this post from JB in reply to THIS (http://www.amren.com/news/news04/03/31/nycrimestats.html) , a posting about Crime Stats:

At a news conference at his union’s Manhattan office, Patrick Lynch, president of the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association, cited a Newsday report in which police officers alleged that the Bronx 50th precinct commander intentionally downgraded crimes for three years. Lynch maintained that was not an isolated instance.

Comments from Readers

Having read your March 31 issue's reprint of a Newsday article about the supposed fraudulent crime reports in ONE precinct in New York City, I can't help but wonder how much the editors at American Renaissance are gloating.? All right, so perhaps a dirty dozen precinct commanders might end up with altered crime statistics.? So what?? Did that warrant an enclosed link to the twelve-year-old article "The Late Great City of New York" beneath the caption "Perhaps things in NYC haven't gotten so much better since this article was written"?? Fugheddaboudit!

Corruption is, unfortunately, inherent in every American city; I am sure that there are many other cities whose police departments also neglected to report certain crimes.? Having lived in New York City for all of my eighteen years and having NEVER been a victim of crime no matter what neighborhoods I've gone to (including Harlem), I cannot grasp the logic behind American Renaissance's drawing a line from some cooked books to an overall lie kept under wraps by the police department for the past eleven years.? (1993 was the year that the NYPD's CompStat system was first implemented.)

There are some crimes that are quite hard to keep under wraps, like murder; and it is quite hard to keep murders, which have declined dramatically in New York, from being reported.? To deny this fact you will also have to deny declines in crime in cities like Baltimore, Chicago, Cleveland and other American cities to prevent from leaving yourself open to accusations of bias.
Is crime still a major problem in New York City?? Without a doubt.? But it is in no way as bad as it was in the '70s, '80s, or early '90s.? You can see it, feel it, if you've been and/or lived here through the good times and the bad alike, like my family, my grandparents, and my friends.? Look at Harlem, Brooklyn, the subways, Times Square, Union Square, the Lower East Side--even the South Bronx.? The evidence, police corruption or not, is incontrovertible.

czsz
April 8th, 2006, 02:46 PM
It should be a cause célèbre. This was a hate crime... there were racial taunts.

Don't hold your breath for Jesse Jackson to hold any rallies...

czsz
April 8th, 2006, 02:50 PM
New clues in NYU student's tragic death
20-year-old John Hehman died afer he was chased into traffic in Harlem Saturday

(New York-WABC, April 7, 2006) - There are new clues tonight as to who may have chased an NYU student to his death. Now, police are stepping up their search for his killers.

20-year-old John Hehman died afer he was chased into traffic on 125th Street in Harlem Saturday night. Investigators now believe the group of teens responsible for his death - may also be terrorizing several businesses in the area.
Eyewitness News reporter N.J. Burkett is in Harlem with the story.

Apparently for the past several weeks, a pack of young men are going in and out of a number of local businesses terrorizing shopkeepers and their customers. Tonight, detectives say these may be the same people who chased the victim to his death.

Detectives hit the streets this afternoon armed with new leads as posters went up on street corners across Harlem.

One woman said she knows some of the young men questioned by police.

"That vehicle hit that white man and killed that white man. They're around here grabbing all our kids ... these kids had nothing to do with it," she said.

John Broderick Hehman was 20-years-old and a junior at NYU. Witnesses say he ran headlong into traffic and was struck by a silver Mercedes in the middle of 125th Street on Saturday night. The driver did not flee the scene and has not been charged.

Earlier this week, one witness told us Hehman was chased into the street.

"I saw the guy run out into the street ... a bunch of people were chasing him," the witness said.

Now, police are investigating reports that Hehman's pursuers shouted racist threats -- and may be the same young men who harassed and in some cases terrorized merchants and their customers along 125th Street.

The manager of Popeye's Fried Chicken told us that it happened at her restaurant several times.

"Mostly kids, about 20-22," she said.

Tonight, Harlem residents overwhelmingly want this case solved.

Police say their eyewitness accounts so far may not be reliable. The motive in this case is still not entirely clear, and for that reason this has not been classified a bias crime. Anyone with information is asked to call the NYPD.

infoshare
April 8th, 2006, 03:20 PM
It's sad that, even though there was video from an incident with this gang one week before JB was killed, it was only after JB's death that the video was looked at in a serious way to get these punks off the streets.

I am angry about what happened,,,,,,but I try to keep positive and look at the bright side fo things.;;;;;;; and not feed into racism and negitivity.

I liked this guy (just seemed like a good/special person) his profile had as his hobby ---- BE'in all clever! OR someting like that..... he was a cool kid.

I hope I can do something.....and send me A PM if you know how I can help.

ablarc
April 8th, 2006, 03:21 PM
THE POLITICS OF BLAMELESSNESS:

One woman said she knows some of the young men questioned by police.

"That vehicle hit that white man and killed that white man. They're around here grabbing all our kids ... these kids had nothing to do with it," she said.
The vehicle. The vehicle did it. Probably driven by a white man.

"Mostly kids, about 20-22," she said.
Kids? Age 22. Well, I guess it's possible if you never grew up... Maybe this is just evidence of immaturity.

If you do this at age 33, are you still a kid?

Schadenfrau
April 8th, 2006, 03:30 PM
I'm pretty sure that quote, as repugnant as it is, refers to the number of kids involved, not their ages.

I agree that it's inexcusable to blame JB's death solely upon the actions of an inanimate object, but given his past statements, I don't think he'd appreciate some of the racial generalizations some people are throwing out there.

infoshare
April 8th, 2006, 04:04 PM
THE POLITICS OF BLAMELESSNESS:

Kids? Age 22. Well, I guess it's possible if you never grew up... Maybe this is just evidence of immaturity.

If you do this at age 33, are you still a kid?

There is a "gang" in my area that meets in a local courtyard....the group is 20-25 in number and 16 - 25 in age......not saying this is the gang;;;;;;;just that they are not "all KIDS".

ManhattanKnight
April 8th, 2006, 07:22 PM
The lead story on today's 6:00 pm news show on WNBC (Ch. 4) was the investigation into TLOZ's death and the assertion at a news conference held today by Norman Siegel and others that the NYPD is being insufficiently aggressive in pursuing it as a hate crime. I wouldn't be surprised if the story is reaired during today's 11:00 pm newscast.

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/9550/tyr00352ao.jpg

infoshare
April 8th, 2006, 07:38 PM
I called the hotline....gave them what I have on the area......thanks MK for the posting the phone number.

Schadenfrau
April 8th, 2006, 11:12 PM
I just saw Eric Adams from 100 Blacks in Law Enforcement calling JB's murder a hate crime on the Fox5 10PM broadcast.

Here's the WABC story:

Was the murder also a hate crime? Suspects may have yelled 'whiteboy'
By Stacey Sager

(Harlem-WABC, April 8, 2006) - The search continues for those who allegedly chased a 20-year-old NYU student John Hehman into the street where he was hit by a car and killed one week ago. Though police say there are many witnesses, so far, there is no one in custody. Some are now wondering if the motive behind it all was race.

Should this murder also be considered a hate crime? That's what some community activists were suggesting today. They were pretty critical of how the NYPD is handling this case.

Talk to people along 125th Street in Harlem and you'll find out most of them are well aware of what happened here last Saturday night. Witnesses reported to police that 20-year-old college student John Hehman was chased into oncoming traffic where he was struck and killed. What's a little more perplexing to investigators is exactly why he was chased after.

Norman Siegel, Civil Rights Attorney: If the reports are accurate, that one of the people in the group said, 'Get the white boy,' that's a hate crime.

Civil rights attorney Norman Siegel and the group known as 100 Blacks in Law Enforcement stood in Harlem on Saturday demanding some more clarity from the NYPD. Police are still investigating the motive for the killing whether it was robbery or whether one or more of Hehman's attackers referred to his race as they chased him down.

Eric Adams, 100 Black in Law Enforcement: Not only is this incident some form of denial. I believe that the historical denial in the police department not wanting to classify hate crimes when they are hate crimes.

In response, a spokesman for the police commissioner called that assertion "flatly untrue" He said, "The matter was immediately referred to our hate crimes investigators and is being treated as a possible bias crime."

Meanwhile, posters remain up around the neighborhood as detectives continue to ask the public for help. Investigators are still trying to determine if the suspects were part of a group of teens that had trashed a nearby McDonald's and threatened others around the neighborhood.

Andrea Wade, 125th Street Shopper: I think it's a disgrace because it just shouldn't happen nowadays. It's 2006 and things like that shouldn't happen.

Police in Harlem have made no arrests in this case. Community leaders tell Eyewitness News the reward money has now been increased. It's now $13,000 to anyone who can provide police with information leading to an arrest and conviction in this murder.

(Copyright 2006 WABC-TV)

ablarc
April 9th, 2006, 12:14 AM
$13,000? OK guys, if twenty of us chip in $100 we can bump that to $15,000.

BrooklynRider, would you be up for organizing the effort? Or Edward?

lofter1
April 9th, 2006, 12:33 AM
I just called the Crime Stoppers number on the poster (1.800.577-TIPS) and asked about how to donate to JB's Reward Fund. I was told that the $12K Reward comes from within the NYPD and that private individuals can't donate to that Fund.

In order to set up a Private Fund for reward we'd have to get in touch with one of the detectives on the case (contact can be made through the 1.800.577-TIPS line). Then the detective would give info on how to set up the fund.

The operator told me that it is a somewhat complicated process to set up a Private Fund.

But it might be worth a try ...

ManhattanKnight
April 9th, 2006, 12:40 AM
Ch. 4 did reair the piece during its 11 pm newscast, and Chs. 2 and 7 had their own slightly different versions at the same hour. Implicit in all of them, but expressly mentioned on Ch. 7, was the truism that a hate crime is just that, even when the races of the perps and the victim are reversed from what we're accustomed to expect.

BrooklynRider
April 9th, 2006, 01:41 AM
$13,000? OK guys, if twenty of us chip in $100 we can bump that to $15,000.

BrooklynRider, would you be up for organizing the effort? Or Edward?

I will check into the details and see what it takes. We've all seen rewards bumped up. If we do establish the fund, I hope we can pull together to get the word out to the press and keep this out front on the news. I need to PM Edward and see if it is okay to set it up as a WiredNewYork reward fund - for lack of a more appropriate name. It might also bring people to the site who have any bits of info. Here they can post anonymously. We might want to seek out other message boards and post links to this thread to drive a little traffic from area residents.

Any thoughts?

Merry
April 9th, 2006, 06:12 AM
I don't visit this Forum very much any more, but it was fate that I chose to click on the "Moving to Harlem" thread today, which is where I learned of TLOZ's tragic, pointless, wasteful death.

I am shocked, I'm hurting and I'm crying. I'm very surprised at how this is affecting me. I'm not a "people person", so maybe the passion for NYC we all share here has a lot to do with it. Despite the anonymity and, in my case, insignificant presence, there's still a very strong connection.

I always really liked JB's wonderful avatar of Peter Green. After seeing the photos of him, he, of course, looked quite different and connecting with his true self, even if just through photos, makes it hurt all the more. But I'll always remember him by that avatar. I'll miss seeing it and I'll miss JB's wit, his wisdom and his intellect, but, above all, what I'll really notice the absence of is his unconditional friendliness and gentle disposition. JB was easily the nicest person on this forum. I feel privileged to have "met" him here, but I wish I could have really "known" him. Please don't let anyone else use that avatar, Edward.

I wish JB's family and friends all the strength and courage they will need to deal with their loss.

Although I live in Australia, I would like to contribute to whatever you all decide to do. Please let me know how I can help, money towards a memorial, whatever.

ZippyTheChimp
April 9th, 2006, 07:07 AM
1010 WINS - On-Air, Online, On Demand

Posted: Sunday, 09 April 2006 5:40AM

Four Teens Arrested in NYU Student's Death

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- Police say they have arrested four teenage boys in the death of a college student struck by a car in Harlem earlier this month.

Authorities believe the suspects chased the victim, Broderick Hehman, 20, into the busy street.

Hassan Mayfield and Andre Johnson, both age 15, face second-degree murder and attempted robbery charges. Charges are still pending against the two other suspects, both age 13.

Hehman, a junior at New York University, was struck by a silver Mercedes on East 125th Street near Park Avenue, on April 1. He died three days later.

Police say the driver of the vehicle is not facing any charges.

© 2006 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO & EYE Logo TM & © 2006 CBS Broadcasting Inc.

ablarc
April 9th, 2006, 08:56 AM
It might also bring people to the site who have any bits of info. Here they can post anonymously.
Intriguing thought.

infoshare
April 9th, 2006, 11:38 AM
1010 WINS - On-Air, Online, On Demand

Posted: Sunday, 09 April 2006 5:40AM

Four Teens Arrested in NYU Student's Death

NEW YORK (1010 WINS) -- Police say they have arrested four teenage boys in the death of a college student struck by a car in Harlem earlier this month.

Authorities believe the suspects chased the victim, Broderick Hehman, 20, into the busy street.

Thanks Zippy, made my day ......... I have not been able to stop thinking about this issue.......I am not going to ignore it......I know that corner well......it is crowded and busy at that time.....I think he had to run because no one around him was willing to help him.....I am not going to be one of those people......PM me if I can be of any help....I live in that area.

Comelade
April 9th, 2006, 12:14 PM
article and video on ny1.com

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=58478

Schadenfrau
April 9th, 2006, 12:16 PM
I'm glad to hear that those monsters are in custody. It seems very likely that charges will be upgraded.

ETA a quote from a NY1 article:

"Eric Adams of 100 Blacks in Law Enforcement says Hehman died for two reasons.

"One, because he made a decision to do a kind act for someone. Second because of his ethnicity; that's unacceptable," he said."

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=58478

Schadenfrau
April 9th, 2006, 12:18 PM
Jinx, Comelade.

Fabrizio
April 9th, 2006, 12:48 PM
What a tragedy these kids are so young ...and in groups kids can do the wildest things... pack mentality. But they´ll have to be an example.... zero tolerance. No more of this.

lofter1
April 9th, 2006, 01:14 PM
...and in groups kids can do the wildest things ... pack mentality.
NYC was confronted with something like this a few years back.

The REACTION (http://www.cjr.org/issues/2003/1/rapist-hancock.asp) of the City at that time was not one of our better moments, to say the least.

MidtownGuy
April 9th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I awoke this morning and read this thread for the first time. I could not immediately post because I was too upset. After several hours I can't stop thinking about this over and over again, and the tears keep coming back.
My deepest sympathy to his loved ones.
I could say so much about Harlem, America, hate, racism, Whites, Blacks, problems of gentrification, or whatever, but for now I will hold my angry words and try to
calm down.
He represented the very best of what a young man should be.

Rest in Peace, my friend.

czsz
April 9th, 2006, 02:24 PM
From WCBS:

http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_098215027.html

But the group, "100 Blacks in Law Enforcement" claim the police have been reluctant to report hate crimes in the past and members said the case may have caused more public outrage if the victim was black and his attackers were white.

ablarc
April 9th, 2006, 05:53 PM
^ Even here, if he hadn't been family.

antinimby
April 9th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I'm glad to hear that those monsters are in custody.Yeah, but are they the right monsters? Nothing can be more tragic than to not only lose TLOZ, but to have innocent people in custody while the guilty is roaming free and having a good laugh at the justice system. We can only hope those truly responsible for this crime are captured and punished.

Schadenfrau
April 9th, 2006, 06:45 PM
^ Even here, if he hadn't been family.

I don't think that's necessarily true, and I really don't see what good snarking about the intentions of black civic leaders or community members of any race is going to do.

I had a friend who was murdered in Harlem in December of 2004. He was shot in his apartment. He wasn't in the area to buy drugs and he wasn't engaged in any criminal activity. No one knows why he was killed, and unless you knew him in life, you would probably not recognize his name now.

Should I blame the lack of attention paid to his murder on Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson? And if so, why should that be? I can't see any reason other than to make myself feel better by beating my breast and shouting about so-called "reverse racism." Maybe I could wonder why in the world someone who's not looking for trouble would dare walk down a street, much less live, in Harlem.

If I wanted to do that, I'd head on over to FreeRepublic.com and join in the chorus. In case you haven't paid attention, that's exactly what they're doing about JB's murder over there right now. I'm sure he'd be thrilled to have such an intelligent and rational group of people picking up his mantle.

Unlike many murders, victims of all races included, JB's murder actually is picking up a significant amount of public attention. It has been slow in coming, but this is a somewhat complex case. Let's not reduce this case, and in turn, his memory, to the lowest common denominator.

Schadenfrau
April 9th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Yeah, but are they the right monsters? Nothing can be more tragic than to not only lose TLOZ, but to have innocent people in custody while the guilty is roaming free and having a good laugh at the justice system. We can only hope those responsible are captured and punished.

And I'll agree with you there.

lofter1
April 9th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Maybe I could wonder why in the world someone who's not looking for trouble would dare walk down a street, much less live, in Harlem.

If I wanted to do that, I'd head on over to FreeRepublic.com and join in the chorus.
Gotta say that the gang here seems much more thoughtful and better informed than the posters over there ...

Schadenfrau
April 9th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Gotta say that the gang here seems much more thoughtful and better informed than the posters over there ...

Now there's an understatement if I ever saw one.

Libby
April 9th, 2006, 08:21 PM
I somehow found this site the night that JB died. I was searching for articles about his death. I am his dad's cousin and of his dad's generation. We are one small entity of his family that lives in Dallas. I last saw JB at his mom's funeral in October. I had not seen him prior to that since he was elementary age. When I visited with him a few months ago I immediately knew he (and his sister) were exceptional. I have been reading what everyone is posting about him. I spent several hours reading many of his posts. I learned a lot about JB. From all of you I learned that he knew how to love and to live life to the fullest. From his posts and yours it became evident how brilliant he was. He obviously took life and all it has to offer and lived it to the fullest. You also spoke of his inspiring compassion. It seems like we could all learn a considerable amount from JB about making this world a better place. I hope we will keep his rememberance by trying to be more like him.
This site allowed me to feel like I have had a conversation with JB and a conversation with many of his friends and for that I am sincerely grateful.

Thank you. Libby

BrooklynRider
April 10th, 2006, 01:07 AM
Greetings all-

I am following the news on the arrest of the alledged assailants of JB (our TLOZ). I have not yet heard from the parks department on creating a living and / or lasting memorial in a Harlem or Washington Heights park to JB. The situation seems fluid and has made me hesitate in pursuing the reward fund option.

I wanted to see if we still want to pursue creating a reward fund with people now in custody or do we want to see what the arrests bear out and continue to consider a memorial of some type. It is fair to say that we want to do something, but is a reward at this moment where we want to focus our efforts?

Any thoughts?

lofter1
April 10th, 2006, 01:41 AM
4 Harlem Teenagers Charged in Student's Death During Robbery

By ANDREW JACOBS (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/j/andrew_jacobs/index.html?inline=nyt-per)
NY TIMES
April 10, 2006

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/10/nyregion/10harlem.html

The police have arrested four Harlem teenagers and charged them with the robbery and murder of a New York University (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/n/new_york_university/index.html?inline=nyt-org) student who died earlier this month after he was chased onto 125th Street and hit by a car.

Although law enforcement officials had been investigating the incident as a possible bias crime, citing an anonymous witness who said he heard one of the attackers, who were black, yell, "Get the white guy," they determined that the assault on the student, Broderick J. Hehman, was instead a robbery gone awry.

Mr. Hehman, a 20-year-old junior who lived on the Upper East Side, was hit by a silver Mercedes-Benz the night of April 1 as he tried to escape five teenagers who had accosted him as he walked to a friend's apartment to play video games. He died four days later, never having regained consciousness.

Over the weekend, investigators arrested four friends who they say tried to rob Mr. Hehman and may be responsible for other street robberies in East Harlem. Authorities are still seeking the fifth attacker.

The youths, two 13-year-olds and two 15-year-olds, will be charged as adults, according to the Manhattan district attorney's office. They face nine years to life if convicted.

Based on interviews with witnesses and confessions from three of those arrested, investigators decided that bias did not play a role in the selection of Mr. Hehman as a victim, said Deputy Inspector Michael Osgood, the commanding officer of the Police Department's Hate Crimes Unit.

"The purpose was to take his money, not to assault him because of his identity," he said, adding that although one of the attackers may have used racist language during the chase, that in itself did not make the incident a bias crime. "It was a gratuitous slur," he said.

The events that led to Mr. Hehman's death began at 8:15 that Saturday night, when the youths, according to police, gathered on the corner of 126th Street and Lexington Avenue to plot a robbery. They quickly spotted their mark — another man, the police said — but backed off when a patrol car passed. A few minutes later, when Mr. Broderick emerged by the Lexington Avenue line subway station at 125th Street, the boys decided that they had found an easy target.

As part of their tactic, two of them moved in front of Mr. Hehman and three lingered behind, the police said. One block west, as he walked beneath the Metro-North Railroad tracks on Park Avenue talking on his cellphone, they made their move. After the teenagers surrounded Mr. Hehman, investigators said, one of the youths placed him in a bear hug, while another rifled through his pockets.

The police say they believe that another of the youths punched him in the face. Moments later, Mr. Hehman broke free. With his attackers shouting and in pursuit, he darted into 125th Street, heavy with traffic, and was hit by a car. The driver stopped and the youths fled. According to their own accounts, they came away with nothing.

For more than a week, the police were stymied in their investigation. On a hunch, they viewed surveillance tapes from a McDonald's on 125th Street that had been damaged by a group of teenagers eight days earlier. Although the police said that none of the arrested youths took part in that melee, some of those identified in the videos had heard about the attack on Mr. Hehman and led police to the suspects, who were taken into custody on Saturday.

Friends and relatives of the accused youths described them as well-behaved and unlikely participants in a violent assault. Rodney Jenkins, a grandfather of one of the 15-year-olds, said he spoiled his grandson so he would never be lured into the thuggery that upends the lives of so many young black men.

"He has a jacket for every day of the week and stack of jeans," Mr. Jenkins said. "We do that so he won't have to go to the street to sell drugs."

Diana Fox, 23, who lives across the hall from one of the 13-year-olds, said he was a bookish boy with a stutter who once helped her rid her apartment of a rat. She said, "I can only say good things" about him.

Mr. Hehman's father and sister, stopped as they entered their building yesterday, said they did not want to talk. According to an online profile Mr. Hehman, known to his friends as J. B., was a karaoke enthusiast, a Prince fan and self-effacingly neurotic about his health. Before his death he had been awaiting word about an internship with the city's Parks and Recreation Department. One of the last papers he turned in for his major, metropolitan studies, was about urban violence.

Norman Siegel (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/norman_siegel/index.html?inline=nyt-per), a civil rights lawyer and former executive director of the New York Civil Liberties Union, expressed disappointment at the department's decision not to treat Mr. Hehman's death as a bias attack. He said he thought the police were shying away from the hate-crime designation for political reasons.

"They don't want to have increased racial tension, racial divisiveness and violence," he said. "They'd rather ignore what's painfully real, which is that there are still racial tensions in this town."

Mr. Siegel said he would ask Robert M. Morgenthau (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/m/robert_m_morgenthau/index.html?inline=nyt-per), the Manhattan district attorney, to consider reclassifying the crime as bias-motivated. A spokeswoman for the district attorney declined to comment on the case but said it was still being investigated.

New York State's hate-crime law, passed in 2000, metes out harsher penalties for those who single out victims based on race, religion or sexual orientation.

Frederick M. Lawrence, the author of "Punishing Hate: Bias Crimes Under American Law" and the dean of George Washington University Law School, said the state's hate-crime statute places a high burden of proof on the authorities. Prosecutors have to prove what someone was thinking when they committed a crime, he said, "and that's not an easy thing to do."

Janon Fisher and Kate Hammer contributed reporting for this article.

Copyright 2006 (http://www.nytimes.com/ref/membercenter/help/copyright.html)The New York Times Company (http://www.nytco.com/)

tone99loc
April 10th, 2006, 02:07 AM
Just wanted to share my thoughts -

I'm obviously not a frequent poster, but I've read the WNY boards regularly since 2002 and was very familiar with TLOZ's insightful postings. I hadn't checked the forum this week and am just now learning that TLOZ was the victim of this terrible tragedy which I've been following all week. I've been especially drawn into this story because the fact that JB was struck down in a sketchy neighborhood reminded me of myself - I grew up in Jersey City and have always loved exploring hoods off the beaten path. I often went to grimey areas against the advice of others and know what it's like to be taunted by packs of teens looking to start trouble. When you're outnumbered, you're at the mercy of the bullies and can only wait calmly for the situation to simmer down on its own.

I guess it was no surprise that TLOZ was a member of the very same forum. Anyway, I am still in shock and deeply saddened that TLOZ lost his life so senselessly. I'll be happy to donate money in his memory or otherwise contribute to a memorial in his honor. I work in the Financial District and, if there's a meet-up to discuss plans for a memorial, I'll be able to meet up.

REST IN PEACE TLOZ, YOU WILL BE MISSED

- AP / tone99loc

Fabrizio
April 10th, 2006, 08:24 AM
"investigators decided that bias did not play a role in the selection of Mr. Hehman as a victim."

"It was a gratuitous slur," he said.

Ridiculous.

Schadenfrau
April 10th, 2006, 09:50 AM
From WNBC:

Reports: 5th Suspect Sought In NYU Student's Death

UPDATED: 7:18 am EDT April 10, 2006

NEW YORK -- Police are searching for a fifth suspect in the death of a university student who was hit by a car last week in Harlem while fleeing a group of youths, according to published reports.

Broderick Hehman, 20, a junior at New York University, darted into traffic at 125th Street and Park Avenue on April 1 and was hit by a silver Mercedes-Benz, police said. He died Tuesday.

The existence of a fifth suspect was reported in Monday editions of multiple city newspapers.

A witness told police that just before the accident he saw a group of youths trying to attack Hehman and shouting, "Get the white boy!"

But prosecutors so far have declined to label the case a hate crime, which would bring added penalties.

"The purpose was to take his money, not to assault him because of his identity," Deputy Inspector Michael Osgood, the commanding officer of the police department's Hate Crimes Unit, told The New York Times.

Hassan Mayfield and Andre Johnson, both 15, and Denzel Fell and Bobby Guzman, both 13, were arrested Saturday on charges of second-degree murder and second-degree attempted robbery, police said. The four, all black or Hispanic, were being charged as adults, police said.

All were in custody and booked Sunday.

Johnson's lawyer said his client claims he's innocent.

"What he's maintained to me is that he's not involved in this in a way that would implicate him in any kind of murder," attorney Adam Freedman said.

A relative of Guzman, who identified himself as Uncle Louie, said his nephew is a good pupil who never missed school and had awards for attendance.

"He's not a murderer," the uncle said while fighting back tears outside a Harlem police station. "He's a straight-A kid."

No telephone numbers could be found for the other two boys.

ZippyTheChimp
April 10th, 2006, 10:01 AM
From The NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/front/v-pfriendly/story/407617p-345026c.html):

Hehman was jumped after an earlier plan to mug a Latino man was foiled when the teens saw a passing police cruiser, cops said.

From Washinton Square News (http://www.nyunews.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/04/10/4439f1ddbec3c)

Norman Siegel, a former director of the New York Civil Liberties Union and civil rights lawyer, told the New York Times that the police department’s decision not to treat Hehman’s death as a bias crime was politically motivated, and said he would petition New York district attorney Robert Morgenthau to reconsider the charges.

“They don’t want to have increased racial tension, racial divisiveness and violence,” he told the Times. “They’d rather ignore what’s painfully real, which is that there are still racial tensions in this town.”

Close friends of Hehman, however, said they are unhappy that media outlets are attributing unfair racial overtones to the crime. The New York Post, for example, ran an article on Hehman with the headline that read “Hate Killed NYU Kid.”

“J.B. would have frowned upon his death being turned into a headline that perpetuates racial violence,” said a friend of Hehman, who spoke to WSN under the condition of anonymity. “His death as a spectacle would have only pissed him off.”

infoshare
April 10th, 2006, 10:01 AM
"investigators decided that bias did not play a role in the selection of Mr. Hehman as a victim."

"It was a gratuitous slur," he said.

Ridiculous.

Fabrizio...... You will find the following quote instructive as to "why" this "ridiculous" statement can stand unchallenged in NYC.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
City Journal 06
by Michael Knox Beran

The double standard is apparent in the 1996 Romer v. Evans case, in which the Court struck down an amendment to Colorado’s constitution that prohibited the creation of special rights (beyond those which all citizens enjoy) for gays. In his dissent in Romer, Justice Scalia argued that the Court, forsaking its role as neutral umpire in a pluralist society, had chosen “to take sides” in a “culture war” and impose upon the nation values “favored by the elite class from which the Members of this institution [the Court itself] are selected.” The old standard of “equal protection of the laws” was being superseded, Scalia maintained, by a “novel and extravagant constitutional doctrine” of “preferential treatment under the laws” for views at odds with “traditional American values.”

P.S. The issue here is the Double Standard.....that upsets me: the fact that this case deals with gay rights is irrelevant to the subance of the matter. He was the victim of Hate crime....just as I have been on several occosaians in the same vicinity. This is WRONG.

Fabrizio
April 10th, 2006, 10:43 AM
For me:

My faith follows that people are forgiven. Personally I forgive these kids. I also don´t feel that they should be tried as adults. To me that´s just weird. Immoral. They should be tried as juveniles... as children and given treatment proper for their age....and their parents should be investigated as well. On the other hand, if a racial taunt was used, or race was the motivating factor, then that should not be glossed over. It should be noted... talked about...preached about. Calling it a "gratuitous comment" ....is flaming racial tensions.

lofter1
April 10th, 2006, 11:18 AM
He was 'easy mark'

Race not main motive in student slay: cops

BY NICOLE BODE, TAMER EL-GHOBASHY, TONY SCLAFANI and NANCY DILLON
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
NY Daily News
April 10, 2006

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/407617p-345026c.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/782-nyustudent1.jpg

These are kids accused of causing Harlem traffic death

http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/541-nyustudent2.jpg

http://www.nydailynews.com/ips_rich_content/205-nyustudent3.jpg

Four young teens busted in the slaying of an NYU student were an "organized robbery team" that stalked and pummeled the 20-year-old before chasing him into the path of a car, cops said yesterday.

" 'We were trying to rob this guy and he got hit by a car,' " one teen allegedly blabbed to a witness after the tragic mugging-turned-murder of John Brod.erick Hehman on E. 125th St.

Hassan Mayfield and Andre Johnson, both 15, and Denzel Fell and Bobby Guzman, both 13, all of Harlem, were charged as adults yesterday with second-degree murder. Johnson and Mayfield were arraigned last night and held without bail. Another teen was being sought.

The gang of five had sized up the slightly built Hehman as "an easy mark" - and at least one shouted "Get the white boy!" before chasing him into the path of a Mercedes-Benz about 8:30 p.m. on April 1, cops said.

Hehman, a popular metropolitan studies student who lived on the upper East Side, died four days later at Harlem Hospital.

"He was a very gentle and docile person," said Deputy Inspector Michael Osgood, commander of the NYPD Hate Crimes Task Force. "He's never been in a fight. We believe they sized him up to be an easy mark."

A police source described the roving teens as a band of neighborhood toughs "who thought they owned the street."

Osgood said the youths grouped as an "organized robbery team" and set on making a quick - and dirty - buck.

"The substantial reason (for the attack) was economic, not the victim's (racial) identity," said Osgood, adding that three of the four teens had made "full confessions."

Hehman was jumped after an earlier plan to mug a Latino man was foiled when the teens saw a passing police cruiser, cops said.

The teens allegedly targeted Hehman after he emerged alone from the train station at Lexington and 125th St., police said.

A source said the youths followed Hehman to a Popeyes Chicken on 125th and Park Ave. After Hehman gave a dollar to a homeless man, the young thugs pounced, officials said.

Two of the five moved ahead of Hehman and the other three trapped him from behind, cops said. They grabbed and punched him - and chased him into the street .after he broke free of a bear hug, officials said.

Police said they nabbed four of the suspects after grilling a different group of teens who were caught vandalizing a McDonald's last month.

Cops said they know the identity of Hehman's fifth attacker and were looking for him.

Relatives described the troubled teens as neighborhood buddies who played basketball together. The two oldest boys attend A. Philip Randolph High School.

"He's just a young naive kid who was with the wrong crowd. . . . He's no murderer," said Louie Rodriguez, 42, Guzman's uncle. "He's never been in trouble before," said Johnson's grandmother Bernice Johnson. "It's a gang of boys, and each one of them is putting it on the other."

Hehman's father and sister declined to comment yesterday, but an upper East Side neighbor described Hehman as a "polite, respectful young man."

"I saw him leaving the night it happened," said neighbor John Barnes, 45. "It's truly a case of 'Only the good die young.' "

With Tanyanika Samuels and Jess Wisloski

All contents © 2006 Daily News, L.P.

Ninjahedge
April 10th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Guys, try not to get too passionate in the discussion here.

We may need to split it off into another thread if we start talking about the issue rather than TLOZ and than night....

infoshare
April 10th, 2006, 12:13 PM
For me:My faith follows that people are forgiven. Personally I forgive these kids. I also don´t feel that they should be tried as adults.

I agree Fab,,,,But this must go down as a hate crime as a matter of LEGAL RECORD.

To Libby (the family member) you must make this event KNOWN in your local community and RALLY support for TLOZ.....nobody THAT DAY stood up for him.......I Will.

Libby please PM me for any support......I am prepared to Testify regarding TWO racial incidents.......and YES .......one was on 125th STREET.

This matter can not be dismissed.

P.S. .......And lofter....you should be ashamed of your self......THat article you posted is towing the "party line" and YOU know it. SHAME

MidtownGuy
April 10th, 2006, 12:18 PM
I am sorry, but I personally am not able to discuss forgiveness yet. Those "kids" aren't kids the way a 15 year old in the year 1800 was a kid. They are elements dangerous to society, as evidenced by the murder of our dear friend. They knew right from wrong. They knew it was wrong to gang rob somebody. A fierce, uncompromising response to "juvenile" crime is necessary to set an example of intolerance. Perhaps I need forgiveness for thinking,"Too bad it has to be these worthless thugs. Their parents are probably as messed up as they are, and I don't care if they rot." That's how I feel right now.
Maybe it is the anger talking. I'm familiar with the soft stance toward juvenile crime in Brazil, and look at the result. Kids literally get away with murder every day.

BrooklynRider
April 10th, 2006, 12:24 PM
As much as this tragedy pisses me off, I can't help but think that TLOZ would want to see these kids rehabilitated - not hardened in an adult facility. Their actions and the result are unforgivable, but they, as human beings, are forgivable. Let's seek justice not retaliation. I think TLOZ was incredibly sympathetic to situations like this and we, like the friends cited in the articles, ought to advocate for punishment TLOZ would find just.

Also, can you folks let me know what to do with regards to the reward fund? Am I correct in assuming that is not the track we want to follow with four full confessions made by the alleged assailants?

Parks Department has still not called, but I thought we might pursue a donation and possible renaming of a community garden, should there be one, in the neighborhood. Any thoughts? I can look into this. I'd like to give my frustration with his death and mourning his loss here at WNY some positive outlet. So, please let me know your thoughts.

I have created a hotmail account that we can use for communication once a plan of action is determined...

MidtownGuy
April 10th, 2006, 12:35 PM
I would like to see a tree or bench, with a plaque, near the spot where it happened. Maybe just one youngster or would-be criminal will read it and have a second thought about what they are about to do.

ryan
April 10th, 2006, 12:50 PM
I'm very interested in adding to some kind of memorial. I've googled some on my own, but I haven't found anything useful to share.

infoshare
April 10th, 2006, 12:58 PM
As much as this tragedy pisses me off, I can't help but think that TLOZ would want to see these kids rehabilitated - not hardened in an adult facility. Their actions and the result are unforgivable, but they, as human beings, are forgivable. Let's seek justice not retaliation.

Yes....these kids........should NOT be punished......but released ONLY "after" being charged with a "hate crime".....this is about fairness/justice for TLOZ and all citizens.

We can not let this "citys" leagal system get away with sweeping the ISSUE under the rug......

One kid screemed GET the WHITE BOy! end of story....that is sufficiend evedence that they had hatred of his whiteness////period. Lets get real here.
It the DOUBLe STandard.....at issue.....and this is what I am TALKING ABOUT.

They must be charged with a hate crime .......slaped on the wrist like the children they are.........but it is the matter of LEGAL RECORD that is at issue with me.

I have found many on this forum to be people of sober judgement, high principal and keen inteligence.......you can see this is a matter of principal.

BrooklynRider
April 10th, 2006, 02:22 PM
I'm not saying they should not be punished or that it should not be treated as a "hate Crime," which still isn't clear from what I'm reading. "Let's get the white boy" can be easily interchanged with "let's get the guy in the red pants." "White boy" was an identifyer not the reason. To me, it really doesn't seem like they were looking for a specific race, religion, sexual orientation, or gender for their victim. Anyone would have done.

Regardless, I think these kids need to be punished and taught a lesson, as opposed to being punished with no attempt to educate and improve their situation. If it were up to me, the parents would be hauled before the news cameras right along with them. The kids seemed to have done this, but we have these apologist parents talking about police picking on their kids who are running in packs unsupervised and who clearly have a history of bullying people in the neighborhood. I'd like to see the video of them in the fast food joint. The comment about one of the boys getting mixed up in the "wrong crowd" is classic - as if he himself ain't the wrong crowd to begin with.

I hate to wax philosophic on a subject that is emotional for all of us, but no one knows what kind of karmic justice was or will be dealt with this incident. Personally, I don't think anyone dies a minute before or after they are intended too - even in these most tragic situations. Of course, the situation is horrendous, but death is in the cards for all of us. The fact that JB seems to have been loved and appreciated by so many people speaks volumes about how much he actually accomplished in his short time here. There are people who die alone with no one to notice after scores of years on this planet. His death was sad and maddening, but his life was a success and an example of how to live. His family ought to be incredibly proud of him. He left this planet an accomplished human being - accomplished in compassion, accomplished in kindness, and accomplished in making a difference in other's lives. It's a much more impressive obituary than he was an Ivy League graduate, who made a billion dollars and had homes in Zurich and New York.

NoyokA
April 10th, 2006, 03:10 PM
It just eats at me that someone who seemed to try to find and emphasize the positive side of things falls prey like this. I think it goes back to Ninjah's post and the "what if's."

I have to admit to finding this whole experience extremely odd and disturbing. We come to these forums cloaked in anonymity, which lets us post without much recourse from others other than criticism. We think we are anonymous and then here we (or "I" anyway) realize that where ever we choose to inject our spirit and energy - even without a physical persona - we are not anonymous and we are no longer unaffected.

It's an interesting sociological study. He we all are in a virtual mourning, sharing it with the only people who would understand - none of whom we actually know. It is all "virtual", but it seems to me that we are all sharing a very real place that we all created together.

Being somewhat older, I think the youth of JB and seeing a bright light go out so tragically is just touching something in me.

To go against or perhaps to go along with what you're saying part of the reason why this hurts so much does have to do with anonymousness but more with this forum being an escape from reality. I know for my self I post at Wired New York to escape all the troubles of the world, the hunger, the poverty, the crime, a corrupt government and all the other disgusting aspects of this world. I post about architecture and NYC, ignoring the other unpleasant aspects of life that I am forced to deal with in my every day dealings. And than BAM! My refuge was turned on its head, JB’s death shows that even on this online forum, where every thing should be an escape through our anonymous identities and common interest, an ugly reality still dictates beneath the surface. I think we need a greater awareness of this reality, to perhaps talk about it, not to run and escape from it, as I subconsciously was doing in almost all my posts here. Needless to say I think my involvement in this forum will change. This forum will for me never be the same escape from reality.

Fabrizio
April 10th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I had some of the same thoughts. Suddenly a mask was removed... TLOZ became a real person and the spell of the virtual landscape was broken. I´m 50 and there I was joking around with a kid who was 20. 20!!?? What am I doing here? Ribbing Nick-Taylor about London....chiding Czsz or Mid-townGuy about something or other.... something suddenly started to feel creepy. I work long hours in this office, at this computer...often late into the night.... on another screen I keep the forum... it´s a great diversion and excuse to slack-off.... but... those ARE real people out there.

And BTW: where´s LondonLawyer these past few days? See.... now I even get nervous.

ryan
April 10th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Nice post Stern.

It is disorienting to experience such a tragedy among what are usually very trivial conversations - even more so given how lighthearted TLOZ was. I wondered if it was even valid to feel a loss for someone you know only online. I don't have many answers, but I'm also struck by a new feeling that there are real people connected to all the names here, so I imagine I won't experience it in the same way either.

lofter1
April 10th, 2006, 07:06 PM
And lofter....you should be ashamed of your self......THat article you posted is towing the "party line" and YOU know it. SHAME
I'm not sure if you mean the NY Times article or the Daily News article.

I wrote neither article.

Remember that there are many people who check this forum who are not from NYC and therefore might not have access to what the NY press is writing -- as low as some of that writing might seem.

I also previously posted a LINK (http://www.cjr.org/issues/2003/1/rapist-hancock.asp) to an article that was very critical of press reports of the so called "wolf pack" attack of a Central Park jogger a number of years ago.

I see this afternoon that the Daily News -- to their shame -- has once again trotted out the old "Wolf Pack" headline in bold red print.

I believe that when the various reports are read in conjunction with each other that people can see more clearly what is going down. And better understand NYC.

BrooklynRider
April 10th, 2006, 07:08 PM
To go against or perhaps to go along with what you're saying part of the reason why this hurts so much does have to do with anonymousness but more with this forum being an escape from reality...

The other side of that issue is that in THIS on-line community we are different, because of the very fact that we do care. Look at the separation anxiety we all felt when the forum went down. I think this tragedy is offering us a magical moment. Pardon the comparision, but it is as shocking within this virtual world as the WTC attacks was in our real world. Our sense of safety and self was shattered and challenged.

This is the worst possible thing that we can experience, but this is the challenge of community - the challenge to really, sincerely care about all of its members. Look at this out-pouring. If this is not one of the most special places and one of the most genuine on the Internet, then there are none to be found out there.

The beauty of this forum is that the beauty (and occasionally ugliness) of each member comes through with no baggage to cloud our perception. Was I surprised that a 20 year old could be so rolific in his posts and wise beyond his years? Absolutely. But, I was PLEASANTLY surprised. I am equally surprised that Fabrizio is some 50-year-old man who confesses to feeling old when his posts are some of the most exhuberant. All bets are off here. All preconceived notions disappear.

Look at how we are coalescing around this issue, the same way communities pulled together in New York neighborhoods following 9/11. Its a paradigm shift. We are the unarguable evidence that there are community's online that are real, cohesive and meaningful.

Stern, don't toss in the towel on this. Look at the response to JBs passing. If our outpouring for him doesn't prove that this is as real as the people outside your window, then the people outside are just as unreal. There are things in our lives that spur us on to see, believe and accept things that didn't seem possible. Our commitment to maintaining a level of maturity, respect and decency on these boards has worked brilliantly.

JBs death is tragic, but these emotions we are all feeling are EXACTLY why we need to go out into the REAL world and memorialize him. He wasn't anonymous on here. He was TLOZ and we all probably have had access to reaches of his mind and spirit that people who knew him all his life never knew. It does work both ways. Jesus, I post stuff on here that my sisters and friends would stick their fingers in their ears if I started talking about it. This is a great social experiment. We post and react and get angry and laugh - and the next day we get to reread exactly what we were thinking and see how we said things. We are at once anonymous and simultaneously totally transparent if we are typing our truth.

But speaking to that interesting footnote of forum anonymity, I have added a paragraph in the JB Memorial thread that hopefully can address everyone's concerns with anonymity in a fun and playful way. Please reread the initial message there and read the paragraph. It is in red. I do hope we all show up for a memorial day in all our anonymity. Please consider it and, Stern, we will hunt you down and drag you back here if you abandon us. Me and Fabrizio, the two old men.

BrooklynRider
April 10th, 2006, 07:16 PM
...I see this afternoon that the Daily News -- to their shame -- has once again trotted out the old "Wolf Pack" headline in bold red print...

Yet, I believe the comparison is perfectly logical. None of these kids would have attempted this alone. What was Kipling's line?

"The strength of the wolf is the pack and the strength of the pack is the wolf."

infoshare
April 10th, 2006, 07:17 PM
In reading the more graphic accounts in the post about his being held from behind while another beat on him infuriates me.....imaging what horror he must have felt.....he would have given them his money.....they were beating him and he had to run for his life.......to run in the direct path of a speeding car tells me he was consumed by fear for his life.......this is not a simple robbery......do you think they would have been beating him if wasnt white....why were they beating him........can someone answer that for me.....i do not want to talk about this anymore......I am just sickened by this incident......how can anyone easily dimiss this a "nothing more" than a robery...I think it the lack of outrage over this incident that I am surprised at.

P.S. BRider...the difference about this forum is that we (most of us) cross paths on any given day....I rembember when you posted about you walking along HRpark one day..I may have been there too that day and met you.....I often walk thru washington sq park and see the collage kids (I old) and think that one may be who posts at nywired,,,,,,lofter talks about areas that I go to everyday....and so on.....and even peple who are not living in the area are likey to come to nyc and arrange to meet someone here....any way that is one of te reasons (for me) that makes the critical difference from some of the other forums.....mabe why I am so deeply affected by TLOZ tragic death....

Schadenfrau
April 10th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Honestly, I think those criminals would have beaten anyone who had something they wanted, regardless of color. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't pay much attention to the news.

BrooklynRider
April 10th, 2006, 07:53 PM
...I think it the lack of outrage over this incident that I am surprised at...

Info, I do understand and sense your strong feelings about this and I do think we are all sharing the same feeling and outrage. Perhaps, we are communicating it differently. But, we need to be careful that our outrage does not turn to blind rage. We know nothing about these kids other than they did this. I think I am more upset at the parents of these kids. I'm upset that right before this they were tearing up a fast food place and no one called the cops and/or the cops did nothing. I'm plenty mad, but I need to channel it into something productive. I am so mad that I've spent my entire workday on the phone trying to find an organization to collaborate with on a memorial project. I can't obsess over stuff out of my control, but I can utilize that energy for something that I have control over.

infoshare
April 10th, 2006, 07:53 PM
Honestly, I think those criminals would have beaten anyone who had something they wanted, regardless of color. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't pay much attention to the news.

The very first news event I saw was the televised "on scene" report from the rep of NYPD blacks - he stated that TLOZ was selected for 2 reasons "one was he made a kind gesture by giving mony and two the color of his skin" -------- did YOU pay attention to the NEWS.

I walk on 125th street a lot less frequently these day because I have been approached subject to racial comments and attempted assualt on more than one occasion....I know the scene he was in....color had "a lot" to do with why he - as the NYPD rep said - was selected and particulary why he was beaten.

But my main concern continues to be about people "like you" who seem to have a somewhat dismissive attitude about this.....the racial comments that were made by his attackers and the beating is sufficient to charge these people for a hate crime.....and its "publics" lack of insistence on this point that angers me most.

Schadenfrau
April 10th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Infoshare, please don't insult me. I posted the Eric Adams quote pages earlier in this thread. Clearly, I read it.

Adams is not the representative of "NYPD blacks," he's the speaker for a group by the name of 100 Blacks In Law Enforcement.

BrooklynRider
April 10th, 2006, 08:16 PM
...But my main concern continues to be about people "like you" who seem to have a somewhat dismissive attitude about this.....the racial comments that were made by his attackers and the beating is sufficient to charge these people for a hate crime.....and its "publics" lack of insistence on this point that angers me most.

The factor you are omitting from all of this and that the news also omits is that Harlem is being gentrified. There is no justification for violence - period. But, when communities are displaced or faced with displacement, violence and serious crime escalates.

Info, I think you are getting ahead of the story. We have no idea how these kids will be charged, what defense they might use and what evidence is in hand. Luckily there seem to be confessions. I am very pleased and satisfied that they are no longer on the loose. I think I am particularly sensitive to ensuring that hate crimes are prosecuted to the fullest extent. However, it does not seem that JB was attacked because he was white. It does not seem that those boys went out looking for a "white boy." They went out looking for trouble and unfortunately a "white boy" crossed their path. Manslaughter charges, at least, should be sufficient to give them the punishment they deserve. Although, I would not be surprised to see JBs family show grace and mercy in this situation. They have had a sad and horrifying year. Two losses in a short term forces a lot of reflection and introspection.

I am dreading the lame excuses the families will make for their children's behavior. That's where you'll see me expressing as much anger as you feel now.

MidtownGuy
April 10th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I am dreading the lame excuses the families will make for their children's behavior

Amen to that. Much of the blame rests with them- they are probably the kind of parents that shouldn't be allowed to raise a fish let alone a child. Absentee fathers and skeezer mothers don't generally raise saintly children.

czsz
April 10th, 2006, 09:20 PM
This quote from the Daily News article may be instructive:

Are we overreacting to the "get the white boy" remark? It may indeed just have been a means of identifying him in a crowded street of mainly nonwhites. Then again, this was all happening under the 125th MetroNorth station, which is a transfer point for many commuters from Westchester and Connecticut...

MidtownGuy
April 10th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Is there already a thread where we can discuss and debate issues of gentrification?

MidtownGuy
April 10th, 2006, 09:34 PM
I am dreading the lame excuses the families will make for their children's behavior

Just read this on NY1:

An uncle of one of the teens vouched for the group.

"It's a 13 year-old kid who's got A's in school, who's got awards. He made an essay the other day and got an award for that. They gave him an award for attendance," said Guzman's uncle Louie Rodriguez. "He's a good kid, all those kids were good kids."

Give me a break.

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=58492

ZippyTheChimp
April 10th, 2006, 10:46 PM
I've been having difficulty, for reasons I won't go into, in posting anything beyond copy and paste, but I'm troubled by the inclination to pile it on.

When this awful crime was committed, I feared that no one would be arrested and held accountable. I was relieved that there was a videotape of the perpetrators trashing a McDonald's, and thought arrests would quickly follow. Like those who have all the facts, I was wrong in assuming the four arrested were part of the mob in the videotape.

As for characterizing the act as a bias crime, only czsz seemed to pick up on the significant fact that a Latino was targeted earlier. Crimes have an emotional impact on those who knew the victim, but the law is cold and often unsatisfying.

What we have: 2 aged 15 and 2 aged 13 are charged as adults with Murder in the 2nd degree, a Class-A1 felony. They face 9 years to life if convicted.

From New York Penal Code:

S 485.05 Hate crimes.
1. A person commits a hate crime when he or she commits a specified
offense and either:
(a) intentionally selects the person against whom the offense is
committed or intended to be committed in whole or in substantial part
because of a belief or perception regarding the race, color, national
origin, ancestry, gender, religion, religious practice, age, disability
or sexual orientation of a person, regardless of whether the belief or
perception is correct, or
(b) intentionally commits the act or acts constituting the offense in
whole or in substantial part because of a belief or perception regarding
the race, color, national origin, ancestry, gender, religion, religious
practice, age, disability or sexual orientation of a person, regardless
of whether the belief or perception is correct.
2. Proof of race, color, national origin, ancestry, gender, religion,
religious practice, age, disability or sexual orientation of the
defendant, the victim or of both the defendant and the victim does not,
by itself, constitute legally sufficient evidence satisfying the
people`s burden under paragraph (a) or (b) of subdivision one of this
section.

Notwithstanding any other provision of law, when a person is
convicted of a hate crime pursuant to this article and the specified
offense is a class A-1 felony, the minimum period of the indeterminate
sentence shall be not less than twenty years.

The 11 years don't make me feel any better.

Edward
April 11th, 2006, 01:14 AM
I read that one of you thought it would be nice to collect all of JB's postings and put them on the cd. I think his father and sister would both like that. If you want to do that, you could send it to me and I would give it to them. I am a friend of the family.At this moment all his posts are online (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&u=2527). His posts would need to be in context so all (or most) thread would have to be included. I have to research how to extract relevant database records to put on CD.

lofter1
April 11th, 2006, 09:22 AM
From the NY Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/407916p-345261c.html) :

Glowing cybertributes from friends

Friends of slain NYU student Broderick John Hehman have turned to the Internet as an outlet for their grief.

They've flooded his Web log with messages of sorrow and remembrance of the popular 20-year-old metropolitan studies student nicknamed J.B.

"The only comfort is that you are at peace and maybe God had a higher purpose for you in heaven," wrote friend Sasha Strenger.

"I can honestly say that knowing you has made me a better person and that although you are no longer here physically, you will always be alive in my heart," she wrote.

Pals also are using the Web log to plan a "Celebration of Life" service set for Friday, complete with lunch, a visit to Hehman's favorite karaoke bar and a prayer ceremony on the Hudson River.

"J.B. and I talked about how we wanted our deaths to be signified, and he and I agreed that it was best for our lives to be celebrated," wrote Paco Secada.

BigMac
April 11th, 2006, 09:49 AM
I just heard about this and am speechless. I had no idea.

Rest in peace, JB.

BrooklynRider
April 11th, 2006, 10:41 AM
Excellent article Lofter. I just spoke with the Daily News and directed them to our forum. If we can channel some of those folks over here, we might be able to go above and beyond what any of us imagined possible for this memorial.

infoshare
April 11th, 2006, 11:37 AM
Excellent article Lofter. I just spoke with the Daily News and directed them to our forum. If we can channel some of those folks over here, we might be able to go above and beyond what any of us imagined possible for this memorial.

You done a lot for this cause. BRider....I for one appreciate your efforts. Being that the perps have been identified there is much closure for me on this.

About "going beyond what any of us imagined possible for the memorial" I have no idea,,,,,so far I like the CD idea.

BrooklynRider
April 11th, 2006, 11:55 AM
Infoshare,

This is a terrible, terrible incident and it has shaken a lot of people. As I said, I need to channel my emotion and energy somewhere. In some ways, I feel that our project memorializes JB in a way that "turns the other cheek," I think that will have a more profound and lasting effect on both the victim's and perpetrator's respective communities than the trial, which is going to make everyone sick, angry and full of helpless feelings.

The best response for me, at times, is action. Maybe its that whole "idle hands" thing. I don't know. I'm just moved to DO something.

Schadenfrau
April 11th, 2006, 12:40 PM
"'The murder of the young man in Harlem was wrong, reprehensible and must be deplored by all,' the Rev. Al Sharpton said yesterday. 'If in fact racial language was used, this also must be denounced by the entire civil rights community.'"

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/407916p-345261c.html

NoyokA
April 11th, 2006, 01:31 PM
"'The murder of the young man in Harlem was wrong, reprehensible and must be deplored by all,' the Rev. Al Sharpton said yesterday. 'If in fact racial language was used, this also must be denounced by the entire civil rights community.'"

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/407916p-345261c.html

I've always liked Sharpton. Something that must be remembered is that these kids are very much the minority and they are now off the streets, others still exist. But most people you will meet in Harlem, white, black, latino or otherwise are good-hearted, decent people, lets not forget that.

Schadenfrau
April 11th, 2006, 01:42 PM
I absolutely agree, Stern.

I'm also glad that Al Sharpton spoke out against this, if only to put an end to the general sniping that black leaders surely wouldn't take an interest in a case like this.

kliq6
April 11th, 2006, 04:36 PM
this is just a horrible event and like others i always enjoyed the posts he made and private discussions i had with him.

to ask why they did what they did is pointless, they are miserable excuses for human beings

krulltime
April 11th, 2006, 06:47 PM
WHAT!!!

One of our best and cool member was the one chased by those bastards and then killed!!! I had no idea! I am really sad and I feel like crying right now.

Rest in peace TLOZ (Broderick John Hehman)! :(

http://www.nypost.com/photos/news041106007.jpg

Citytect
April 11th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Oh my god. How did I miss this story? I just read every post in this thread, and I'm stunned. I really don't know what to say right now. This is just horrible. He was a great guy.

infoshare
April 11th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Oh my god. How did I miss this story? I just read every post in this thread, and I'm stunned.

Here is a recent article....there is another in the daily news...I will link that also if it is available.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HARLEM THUGS YUPPIE HUNTING

By LAURA ITALIANO
Broderick John Hehman was chased into traffic on 125th Street, where he was fatally struck by a car.

April 11, 2006 -- It's yuppie-hunting season on 125th Street in Harlem.
Teen wolf packs have been systematically preying on people in the gentrifying neighborhood, police sources said yesterday, as four young punks were charged with murder for a mugging gone awry.

The teens, charged as adults, face up to nine years to life behind bars for allegedly acting with depraved indifference in causing the death of New York University student Broderick John Hehman, 20.

Theirs are the first high-profile arrests in a new crime pattern that's shaken the on-the-rise neighborhood.

Sources said local teens, typically ages 13 to 15, linger along 125th Street, scoping out potential mugging victims, then moving in to surround and attack.

The kids target well-dressed students, tourists or commuters, preferring those who are alone and talking on cellphones as they climb out of the Metro-North and subway stations at Lexington Avenue and Malcolm X Boulevard, sources said.

They're after cellphones, small electronics and wallets.

The sources said cops arrest groups of kids for these coordinated sidewalk muggings a couple times a month.

"The larger kids will grab or punch you, maybe throw you to the ground," said one cop from the area. "Then the little ones go through your pockets."

Until now, these attacks caused only scratches and bruises. But that changed April 1, when just this kind of pack allegedly pounced on Hehman, 20, who was visiting a friend in the neighborhood.

Hehman, the son of a Manhattan investment banker, ran into traffic to flee his pursuers. Struck by a Mercedes, he died six days later of head injuries .

"These kids are just like what we're always getting out there," said a cop who patrols the historic street.

Added the cop, "We keep telling people, when you walk out of the station, stay off the cellphone. Be alert. Don't act like you're in Midtown. 'Cause you're not in Midtown. You're in Harlem."

Robberies in the 25th Precinct, which includes 125th Street in East Harlem, are up 3.3 percent so far this year, according to NYPD crime statistics through April 2. There were 61 robberies in the precinct for the first three months of the year, compared to 59 for the same period in 2005.

All four teens charged in Hehman's murder have confessed to acting together to mug the popular student, according to criminal complaints released yesterday.

Accused ringleader Andre "Chris" Johnson, 15, spotted Hehman walking alone and talking on his cell as he left the Metro-North station, and pointed him out to the others, the complaints allege.

Johnson admitted punching the student in the side of his head, and Hassan Mayfield, 15, admitted "trying" to grab him, prosecutors said.

Denzell Fell and Humberto Guzman, both 13, insisted they played minor roles, saying, "Chris and Hassan never give us any of the stuff they take," according to Assistant District Attorney Joel Seideman.

None of the teens admitted chasing Hehman into traffic. All denied wanting to seriously injure him. They're being held without bail, and a fifth teen is still being sought.

Additional reporting by Perry Chiaramonte

laura.italiano@nypost.com

Jake
April 11th, 2006, 11:53 PM
requiescat in pace - may he/she rest in peace

Extremely sad to see him die this way. What words can comment on something like this?

lofter1
April 12th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Here is a recent article....

HARLEM THUGS YUPPIE HUNTING

Teen wolf packs have been systematically preying on people in the gentrifying neighborhood, police sources said yesterday, as four young punks were charged with murder for a mugging gone awry.

Theirs are the first high-profile arrests in a new crime pattern that's shaken the on-the-rise neighborhood.

Sources said local teens, typically ages 13 to 15, linger along 125th Street, scoping out potential mugging victims, then moving in to surround and attack.

The kids target well-dressed students, tourists or commuters, preferring those who are alone and talking on cellphones as they climb out of the Metro-North and subway stations at Lexington Avenue and Malcolm X Boulevard, sources said.

... The sources said cops arrest groups of kids for these coordinated sidewalk muggings a couple times a month.
This has been going on for months but somehow it hasn't made it into the press -- so who dropped the ball? The City? Or the reporters?

It seems there could be more to this than is being told.

infoshare
April 12th, 2006, 03:17 AM
It seems there could be more to this than is being told.

Your right about that! In the last year I have been (jumped) twice, onec on 125th street the other on 133rd. On one occasion the term "Pilgrim Mtherfuker" was used.....the implication being (I assume) that I am a whitey AND an intruder in an area I do not "belong" in....I dont know.....what else can that mean. I am not the least bit racist....I just want to be able to walk home from the subway/market without risking my life in the process.

Something has gone terribly awry when in NYC a person can not walk the streets unmolested.....this is not a "civil society" and its time for some - as I read in the Daily News "old school outrage".

antinimby
April 12th, 2006, 06:33 AM
Infoshare, what you just described is serious. Did you reported the incidence(s) to the police? IMO, that is clearly a hate crime.

If the police in that precinct know about this insidious trend of racial harrassment by these thugs and did not do anything about it, then someone in a higher position in the police dept. need to be questioned.

Because if the police did do something to curb this type of activity such as an increased police presence on the streets, who knows, maybe TLOZ's fate would have turned out differently.

And you are right, no one should be a target for harrassment because of their race in any neighborhood anywhere.

Btw, I interpreted the "pilgrim" comment as a way of saying that they felt you and perhaps other white "settlers" are coming into the neighborhood and contributing to the gentrification of the area.

Luca
April 12th, 2006, 08:58 AM
I have nothing more profound to say than: this sucks.

I'm just back from NYC, where everyone was extremely corteous / helpful. Only got called a "mother####r" once, by a drug peddler in Washington Square.

infoshare
April 12th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Infoshare, what you just described is serious. Did you reported the incidence(s) to the police? IMO, that is clearly a hate crime.

No I did not report the incident. The location where the first attack occured is a desolate street/pathway that leads to the food market at about 133rd street.

On the following day, a man was shot/killed - at the same exact spot - and then I went to a police car in the nabe.....told them that I was mugged at the same location the previous day......and that I believe there may be a connection between my incident and the dead man (same local/following day) and tried to tell him more...the cop had been talking on his cell phone (probably) on on a personal call....he told the person he was talking too (hold on a minuit) .....he then glared me as to say......go away....I am on an imporant personal phone call..... so I just went about my business.

Now..this really gets me... it was determined that the man "killed Himself" (WHAT) and it was not reported as a crime.....I am not kidding.......How did the reach THAT conclusion......If someone wants to come forward and open this case I will help..... It happened about one year ago...time to stop
"turning the other cheek".

P.S. To further discuss/investigate this crime.....please PM me.....I do not want to take the focus off of the important issue here TLOZ....it all about HIM.

BrooklynRider
April 12th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Infoshare-

Certainly, sharing your experience puts your commentary into a much different context. I can understand your reaction better now.

krulltime
April 12th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I can't still believe this happen to our TLOZ Link5. Last night when I was in bed I just told myself that this was just a nightmare and that soon I will wake up. But I woke up this morning and it was not a bad dream.

I am still very upset about this story. I will like to go to that trial and just hear that these punks will get the ultimate sentence. But I know they are VERY stupid teenagers and I just hope that they and their other punk ass friends who are still out there learn something from this tragedy.

infoshare
April 12th, 2006, 10:54 AM
Infoshare-

Certainly, sharing your experience puts your commentary into a much different context. I can understand your reaction better now.

I will be leaving this thread (for now) It is all very heavy stuff.....and I am burried in paperwork that is not getting done. Take CAre BRider...Your a "solid" guy.

cheers:) ;)

lofter1
April 12th, 2006, 11:02 AM
If the police in that precinct know about this insidious trend of racial harrassment by these thugs and did not do anything about it, then someone in a higher position in the police dept. need to be questioned.

Because if the police did do something to curb this type of activity such as an increased police presence on the streets, who knows, maybe TLOZ's fate would have turned out differently.
This is my point exactly.

If there was a "trend" which had been occurring over a period of time prior to JB's death and little or nothing was done to increase the protections for that area that someone should answer to that.

Take a look around MSG, TS, SoHo -- there are clearly more cops on the beat in those areas over the past few months. Obviously decisions have been made to put boots on the street. Was there a decision made NOT to put more cops on the streets around 125 / Park despite an increase in "incidents"?

What happened to "Protect & Serve"?

Schadenfrau
April 12th, 2006, 11:55 AM
To be fair to the NYPD, is there any proof that there was a decision not to put more cops on 125th Street? I certainly see more officers walking the beat on 125th than I do in Soho.

lofter1
April 12th, 2006, 12:15 PM
That ^ is the question I'm asking. Reports have stated that these guys hesitated to go after another potential victim because they saw a patrol car. I would hope to hear that there had been more foot patrols instigated around 125 / Park -- as cops on foot can be far more effective in deterring incidents on the street than the occasional passing of a patrol car.

Jennifer in Harlem
April 12th, 2006, 12:33 PM
That ^ is the question I'm asking. Reports have stated that these guys hesitated to go after another potential victim because they saw a patrol car. I would hope to hear that there had been more foot patrols instigated around 125 / Park -- as cops on foot can be far more effective in deterring incidents on the street than the occasional passing of a patrol car.

Hi, I live in the neighborhood where JB was attacked. Police foot manpower and the lack is a major complaint with this precinct. Also, Metro North has state police manned at the 125th location. They are never visible or posted in the very corners that JB was running for help.

When the cops are around, they deter crime. In the last recruitment, this area received less than 10 new recruits to cover 62,000 square miles.

The real culprits in JB's death is the community board, the local politicians and community leaders that continue to substandard police protection.

Jennifer in Harlem
April 12th, 2006, 12:43 PM
I just want to add how sorry I am about JB. He seemed like a fine young man with great promise and love of life.

I would like to add that while the police is lacking in the area, the community here should also take responsiblity for breeding and upbringing of these type of young people. The one school we had that required testing for admissions was kicked out.

The community includes the schools, community centers, parents, and community leaders who are great at getting grants, but not dispersing them properly.

This area is marked for a Con Edison substation, new luxury condominimums, a new hotel, $1,M brownstones.... and yet they cannot control youth crime.

Dont' believe that hype about gentrification in Harlem. If there truly was gentrification, JB would still be alive.

Sad commentary on the state of East Harlem.

BrooklynRider
April 12th, 2006, 12:52 PM
NYUNews.com had an online report yesterday that showed the area where JB was hit. It was a daytime photograph and it looked dark and dreary. One can only imagine how dark it may have been at night. I get torn over the issue of police quotas. But, police quotas eliminate any kind of reluctance to pursue a violation because of "the paperwork."

This still points back to the "downside" of gentrification. I have a friend who lives in Williamsburg on South 1st Street and the crime in her building was rampant (a burglary every day of the week for three weeks straight in her building). It is intolerable to me that whole communities can just be displaced because development has suddenly become ripe for the area. Today's article in the NY Times about 421-a tax credits for buildings that provide no affordable housing is also very relevant. Pardon the over used metaphor, but it is a perfect storm.

It's no excuse for violence, but desperate people act in desperate ways. If only the issue got as much play on the major news outlets, print and tv, as they do here. For every nano-second of hard issues like these we get 20 minutes of American Idol news. George Bush's America.

MrShakespeare
April 12th, 2006, 01:38 PM
I am sad to learn of TLOZ's death. His posts were always intelligent and well written, and I will miss his insight. He was very well informed about issues involving cities other than New York, although New York was obviously a passion of his. He made a number kind and astute posts about Saint Louis, which I appreciated.

My sympathies to his family and friends.

Thanks for posting the announcement, Edward.

BrooklynRider
April 12th, 2006, 03:24 PM
JB Hehman Memorial Project Details

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=92503&postcount=38

Gregory Tenenbaum
April 13th, 2006, 04:41 AM
This is tragic news. I didn't personally know him, but I find this news to be deeply disturbing.

Who were the young men chasing him?

Fabrizio
April 13th, 2006, 06:15 AM
Brooklyn: "It is intolerable to me that whole communities can just be displaced because development has suddenly become ripe for the area."

Yes, and now with eminent domain for "blighted areas" everything is up for grabs.... and we know what "blighted areas" is code word for.

It´s a big, big picture. Funny, while working I´ll occasionally switch to an American oldies radio station over the internet. It floors me to remember that there was a time when pop culture sang about peace and love...understanding... and "coming together". To hear that stuff today... it actually sounds subversive.

TonyO
April 13th, 2006, 05:11 PM
I had read the out-of-forum news on his death but not read the connection here until just now. Its a tragic loss, I didn't know him personally but I always appreciated his posts and thoughts. He will be missed.

ryan
April 13th, 2006, 05:18 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/images/odot.gifFrom the Daily News (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/408085p-345453c.html):
http://www.nydailynews.com/images/shim.gif
City briefs
Fat Nick att'y decries bias

Howard Beach attack suspect Nicholas (Fat Nick) Minucci's lawyer used the tragic mugging of a white NYU student in Harlem to argue the city has a double standard for hate crimes. Albert Gaudelli said black teens who chased Broderick John Hehman to his death yelled, "Get the white boy!" but weren't charged with bias.

Meanwhile, he argued, his client is being penalized for using the N-word during an alleged bat attack on a black man in Howard Beach. "My client used the term, 'Wha up, n---a,' which is not racist. The word n---a is a word of address," he said.

Gaudelli made the argument during an application for bail for Minucci, which was rejected.

Austin Fenner

Ninjahedge
April 13th, 2006, 06:35 PM
N, when used by ANYONE who is not your friend or a familiar, is an insult.

You don't say "What up B" to any woman you don't know, or say "You F'r" to anyone who is not your friend unless you are looking to start something.

The thing that gets me though is the delineation between going out and beating someone up for no other reason than the fact that you want to beat someone up, and doing so because they are of a different race.

How does this change the punishment?

Does it mean that if anyone were to go out and mug someone (Including beating them), it would be less serious if they:

1. Picked someone of their own race
2. Did not use racial epithets while doing so

I understand that the law is trying to address the serious issue of racially motivated crime, but does it really do this, or does it simply bring more attention to an already sticky issue?

Ninjahedge
April 13th, 2006, 06:35 PM
PS, I believe that this was more than a simple mugging. It was a targeted beating, but would it have been any less serious if JB was black?

LeCom
April 13th, 2006, 10:18 PM
Read about this tragedy on SSP. I'm reposting my post I left there, because it pretty much sums up what I have to say.

Some things, well, they just seem unreal. It's hard to imagine that the events in the article have actually happened to one of the guys that just posts here with us. Rest in peace JB, **** the punks that took this person's life, and may God let not anything of the sort happen to all of you out here.

I am also very proud of WNY's response to the tragedy. This is definitely how I envision seeing our community in a newspaper article, but seems like the Internet, once again, amidst its rampant with and corruption, brought together well-meaning intelligent people and is helping one of its members even after his death. You know a forum is on the right path when it reaches out to one of its members by much more than mere comments.

johnnypd
April 14th, 2006, 03:59 AM
i've been reading this forum for years without contributing and always appreciated his posts. i can't believe this has happened. he was so young.

ManhattanKnight
April 14th, 2006, 08:35 AM
In today's Daily News:

Green salute to slain student

Slain NYU student Broderick John Hehman poured his heart out to the WiredNewYork.com (http://wirednewyork.com/) Web forum, and now its members want to beautify a Harlem green space in his honor.
"His death has stunned our online community," said the group administrator. "We are determined to honor his memory and love of New York."
Working with Bette Midler's New York Restoration Project, the group already has raised $1,000 that will help buy a flowering tree and lots of perennials for a community garden at 149th St. and Broadway.
The 20-year-old metropolitan studies major known as "J.B." was hit by a Mercedes-Benz the night of April 1 as he tried to escape a mugging by five teenagers on 125th St. in Harlem. Four young teens - including two 13-year-olds - have been charged with second-degree murder.

Donations to the J.B. Hehman Memorial Project should be sent to the New York Restoration Project at 254 W. 31st St., 10th Floor, New York, N.Y. 10001.
Nancy Dillon

http://www.nydailynews.com/04-14-2006/news/story/408661p-345929c.html

Michi
April 14th, 2006, 09:27 AM
The first person who I have talked from NYC was TLOZ, he gave me really good advices about the city and my stance there. We chatted and were friends but we lost the contact and we didnt meet there in person.
Today (after read all this sad new) I learn why we should not lose the contact and why we have to talk with our family/friends.
We will miss you, we will always remember you.

Thank you TLOZ.

(sorry for my english)

sfenn1117
April 14th, 2006, 11:33 AM
This is very, very tragic. So young, with so much potential in his life. He was destined to become something great. Now he is gone, and for what, it just makes me so angry that he lost his life over something ridiculous like this. I wish I could be on the jury of those kids trials, I'd put them away for the rest of their lives, so they know what it's like to lose the opportunities they took away from J.B.

Life is so unpredictable, it's scary at times. RIP buddy, you clearly have made an impact on so many people throughout your young life.

macreator
April 14th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Wasn't sure if I should post this in the remembering thread or here:

I don't know what to say. I feel such strange emotions about TLOZ's death. Perhaps the most prominent one is simple shock.

The idea that someone, whose intelligent and insightful comments I've been reading for the past year and a half, is gone from this world is so strange in my mind.

What makes it strange for me is how up until just over ten days ago he was posting on this website. Up until so recently he was alive.

TLOZ's death makes me more, as cliche as it may sound, concious of our own mortality.

The idea that one can just be walking down a City street one day and end up dead is something we tend to associate with the 70's and the 80's. So when it happens in 2006 I for one get totally and utterly surprised.

TLOZ, what really gets me is the idea that our society will not have someone as intelligent, compassionate (your last action was giving money to the needy) and just plain nice as you to lead us in this century.

I have no doubt you would have further grown into a successful man backed by strong morals once you finished college.

After shock, and then sadness, my next emotion upon hearing the news of TLOZ's death was anger. And I have to admit that I still feel it somewhat. The idea that a gang of teenagers could take the life of such a smart upstanding guy for the goal of stealing some pocket change is just madness. And while people will say, "they're just kids" or "they didn't really kill him", I say to them that at 14 you definitely know right from wrong. And if not, then their parents should be held criminally responsible.

What angers me is that these kids are ignorant of what a bright flame they extinguished from this world.

I am glad to see our garden memorial moving forward -- I'll be sure to donate today.

TLOZ, you'll always be in my thoughts.

ablarc
April 14th, 2006, 03:38 PM
^ Moving post, macreator; every word hits home.

Zoe
April 14th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Where have I been the past 10 days? I'm in shock. This is the saddest news I have heard this year. I have been on this site for over 3 years and remember his excitement for starting at NYU.

This is something that I will not be able to, nor want to get out of my mind. I am truly moved and sad over this

GermanNewYorkFan
April 14th, 2006, 05:01 PM
it is a tragedy !
i knew him not , but my compassion is at yourself and his parents !

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Those expressing condolences are encouraged to read what we are doing to honor TLOZLink5 (J.B. Hehman) and create a memorial to his life and love of New York City. We need donations (no donation is too small or insignificant) and we need volunteers.

We have a restricted forum "TLOZLink5 Project" located here: http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=42 that we have opted to restrict at this point as some strategic decision making and project planning is taking place there. Access to this thread is granted by donation. If you have invested in this memorial you have a vote in each component we are are working on. Information on contributing can be found here:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=92755&postcount=79

Please see the memorial thread on how to contribute online or via check. If you do make a contribution, please contact us at HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com to notify us. Simply place your username and the contribution amount in the subject line. This allows us to push our contributions received-to-date total higher. We do not mean in anyway to exclude forum members from participating in this wonderful and quickly building tribute. We simply wish to create extra incentive for individual giving. All contributions are 100% tax-deuctible.

TomAuch
April 14th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Teens charged in death of NYU student to be tried as juveniles
By SAMUEL MAULL
Associated Press Writer

April 14, 2006, 6:11 PM EDT

NEW YORK -- Four teenagers who reportedly laughed after chasing a New York University student into the path of a car that killed him will be charged as juveniles in Family Court, a prosecutor announced Friday.

Assistant District Attorney Joel Seidemann said the grand jury could not legally charge the two 15-year-olds and two 13-year-olds as adults with felony murder in the death of Broderick Hehman, so they sent the case to Manhattan's Family Court.

The effect of the transfer is that the teens, who faced nine years to life in prison if they had been convicted as adults, now face a maximum initial sentence of five years "restrictive placement" if convicted in Family Court, said Larry Busching, head of the city Law Department's Family Court Division.

The youths could be held until they are 21 if the Office for Family and Children's Services applies for periodic extensions, Busching said. For less serious crimes, he said, a youth would be in custody for 18 months at a youth facility.

Seidemann, in Manhattan Criminal Court to announce the grand jury's action, said evidence showed that the teens approached Hehman, put him in a bear hug and punched him in the head while trying to rob him.

Hehman, 20, broke free, but the teens converged on him from two sides, chasing him into the street. He was struck by a car at around 8:30 p.m. on April 1 on 125th Street between Park and Lexington avenues near the Harlem Metro-North station.

"He was thrown into the air and his head smashed into the windshield," Seidemann said. "The windshield shattered and he fell into the road. They didn't call an ambulance. They didn't call for help. Rather, they stood on the street corner and laughed as he lay in the road."

Hehman suffered fractures at the base and on the side of his skull. He died of a brain hemorrhage a few days later at Harlem Hospital.

The four defendants, jailed without bail, are Hassan Mayfield and Andre Johnson, both 15, and Humberto Guzman and Denzell Fell, both 13. After their arrests April 8, all made statements to police admitting that they had intended to rob Hehman.

Authorities have said they are being charged with second-degree murder and second-degree attempted murder.

Felony murder is a slaying committed by a defendant during the commission of another serious crime. But Seidemann said a "quirk" in state law bars prosecution of 13-year-olds for felony murder in any circumstance, and youths under 16 may not be charged with felony murder if the other crime _ in this case, the robbery _ was attempted but not completed.

Since the robbery of Hehman was never completed because he broke free and ran, the 15-year-olds cannot be tried as adults with felony murder, Seidemann explained.

Lawyers for all four teens said their clients would be vindicated.

Nancy Ginsburg, a Legal Aid Society lawyer for Guzman, objected to Seidemann's use of the word "quirk," saying state legislators recognized that a teen's thought processes are different from those of an adult.

Copyright 2006 Newsday Inc.

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--studentkilled0414apr14,0,5282180.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyork

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 08:26 PM
I'm angry at what happened, but I believe that kids - even teens these ages can turn their lives around with strong and effective rehab. They need to be punished and we must have justice. I am just keeping keenly aware that nothing will bring TLOZ back and we don't need to advocate further destruction from this event. Punish them, educate them and help them. But, if the are unrepentent and rebellious to the process, come down very hard on them. We must not tolerate violence - but we must not be violent and cold ourselves in our justice.

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I understand what you are saying completely. I am just fighting those feelings and urges. The crime just seems so senseless. I need to follow the trial closely. The testimony and reactions will really determine my ultimate feelings.

You did manage to snap me back to reality.

MidtownGuy
April 14th, 2006, 08:38 PM
BrooklynRider, we were posting at around the same time. My comment was not directed at you. PLease do not hold my bitterness and anger against me. I have to work through this. We can disagree on what punishment is merited and still come together in order to honor JB and his values.

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Not at all. I like your feisty spirit and our politics are similar!

Okay - I'm supposed to be on vacation and my party is at the bar. I'll check in later to see if we have more reports of contributions. Remember to email us at HehmanMemorialFund@Hotmail.com if you contribute to our memorial project.

MidtownGuy
April 14th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Bless you for what you have done in getting us organized. We were all stunned and hurt, but you were able to snap into action and do something positive. Thank you so much, on behalf of the whole community here.

I hope you are able to find some small peace on your vacation, you certainly deserve it.

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I am plugged into this totally and it feels great. Visit the TLOZ Project forums and you will see a hive of activity. I may have started it, but this is definitely a big, beautiful commmunity effort.

Deimos
April 15th, 2006, 02:13 AM
I'm in shock here... took a little hiatus from the site and came back to this terrible news. I barely knew TLOZ but remember the conversation not too long ago about how it meant The Legend of Zelda, and the smile it brought to my face how one of my favorite games was being honored by someone else. He was far too young and had way too big of a heart to have deserved this fate. I truly hope that he is enjoying his time with his mother once again.

Kris
April 15th, 2006, 06:15 AM
April 15, 2006
4 Harlem Boys Will Be Tried as Juveniles
By ANEMONA HARTOCOLLIS

Four Harlem teenagers accused of killing a New York University student by chasing him into a car's path during a robbery attempt will be tried as juveniles rather than adults, the Manhattan district attorney's office said yesterday.

The teenagers — two are 13 and two are 15 — were initially arraigned this week as adults on second-degree murder charges in the death of the student, Broderick J. Hehman, 20. But prosecutors said yesterday that they did not seek a second-degree murder charge from a grand jury because their investigation found that there was not enough evidence to support the underlying theory of "depraved indifference" to life that that charge requires.

While prosecutors did persuade the grand jury to charge the boys with seven lesser charges — including felony murder, manslaughter and attempted robbery — the law does not permit those under 16 to be treated as adults for those crimes under the circumstances of this case.

Had they been tried as adults and convicted of second-degree murder, the boys would have faced sentences of up to life in prison. In Family Court, where juveniles are tried, the maximum sentence is five years in a juvenile jail, though that can be extended up to age 21.

An assistant district attorney, Joel J. Seidemann, said it was the State Legislature that restricted prosecutors' ability to try juveniles.

Mr. Seidemann described the crime on April 1 in Harlem — in which Mr. Hehman was struck by a Mercedes-Benz on 125th Street near Park Avenue as he fled the boys who were trying to rob him — as particularly heinous. He also defended the prosecution's initial attempt to seek to have the juveniles tried as adults. He said the boys held Mr. Hehman in a bearhug, punched the side of his head and tried to rob him. Mr. Hehman broke free, he said, and the boys chased him into the street.

He said the boys stood on the corner and laughed while watching Mr. Hehman fly into the air as he was hit by the car, then smash headfirst into the windshield, shattering it.

"They didn't call for an ambulance," Mr. Seidemann said of the attackers. "They didn't call for help. Rather, they stood on the street corner and laughed as he lay in the road."

Mr. Seidemann said the boys had gone to 125th Street as a gang with the intention of committing robberies. "These defendants did not do this as a spur-of-the-moment crime," he said.

Still, another prosecutor said, the crime did not include the degree of "moral depravity" or "wanton brutality" needed to sustain a charge of second-degree murder because the connection between the mugging and the death was not strong enough. A hypothetical example of depraved indifference, he said, would be driving through Times Square at 70 miles an hour at noon.

Lawyers for two of the boys, Denzell Fell, 13, and Andrew Johnson, 15, denounced Mr. Seidemann's extended comments on the case as beyond what prosecutors should say when announcing grand jury results.

"It was like a press conference in the courtroom," Daniel Gotlin, the lawyer for Denzell, said afterward. "It wasn't necessary. All he had to do was tell the judge the case was being transferred to Family Court. If you want to give a press conference, let's do it in the district attorney's office."

Mr. Gotlin, who said his client attended school every day, is the child of a single mother, and had never been in trouble before, also objected to Mr. Seidemann's characterization of the boys laughing. Assuming they were there, he said he wondered what if they had not noticed what was going on and were talking and laughing about something entirely different.

"It's a nightmare," Mr. Gotlin said. "I keep picturing my own son and daughter. They're babies when they're 13 years old."

The four boys are being held at Spofford Juvenile Center in the Hunts Point section of the Bronx. The other two boys charged are Humberto Guzman, 13, and Hassan Mayfield, 15.

Children under 16 cannot be charged with attempted crimes in adult court. Fifteen-year-olds can be charged with felony murder, meaning a death that occurs during the commission of another crime, but only if the underlying crime has been completed. In this case, the underlying crime, robbery, was not completed before Mr. Hehman fled into traffic.

Mr. Hehman, who lived on the Upper East Side, was a junior majoring in urban studies at New York University. He was walking to a friend's apartment to play video games when he was attacked, the police said. Although one witness reported that the attackers, who were black, said "Get the white guy," the police and prosecutors said the crime was not a bias attack. They said the same group of boys had first picked out a Hispanic victim, and that they may have used race as a description, but not as a motive.

Mr. Hehman's skull and the side of his head were fractured when he was hit by the car. He died four days later at Harlem Hospital Center.

Copyright 2006 The New York Times Company

krulltime
April 15th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Yes this is VERY dissapointing... Here it says they can serve as much as 18 months!

JACKALS: HOWLING MOB
Pack Laughed as NYU kid lay dying

By DAREH GREGORIAN
April 15, 2006

The four teenaged punks who chased an NYU student into the path of an oncoming car looked and laughed as he lay on the street dying, a prosecutor revealed yesterday.

"They didn't call for an ambulance. They didn't call for help. Rather, they stood on the street corner and laughed," prosecutor Joel Seidemann said of the 13- and 15-year-olds who chased Broderick John Hehman into traffic.

Hehman, 20, died four days later from his massive head injuries.

And the wolf-pack thugs, who allegedly laid in wait for their victim, could have even more to smile about now. Prosecutors lost their bid to try the teens as adults yesterday when their cases were transferred to Manhattan Family Court - where they face about half as much time behind bars if convicted of the top charge against them, felony murder.

Had they been tried as adults, the 15-year-olds would have faced nine years to life behind bars. Now, they face a maximum of five years in "restrictive placement," said Laurence Busching, head of the city Law Department's family court division.

If they're convicted of the lesser charges against them, including manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide, they could get off with as little as 18 months in juvenile detention.

Seidemann acknowledged that the case had to be transferred during a court appearance for Denzell Fell, 13 - but not before he revealed new details about the teens' sick reaction to Hehman's being mowed down.

The prosecutor said Fell, Humberto Guzman, 13, Hassan Mayfield, 15, and alleged ringleader Andre "Chris" Johnson, 15, had gone out on the evening of April 1 "looking to rob somebody."

It was on East 125th Street between Park and Lexington avenues that the group spotted Hehman, who'd just gotten out of the subway on his way to visit a friend.

The pack of muggers immediately went after him, determined to steal his cellphone, Seidemann said. One "held him in a bear hug" and "punched him in the side of the head" before [Hehman] managed to break free, the prosecutor said.

"The group pursued him" and "converged on him" from two sides, Seidemann said - forcing him into the street as he tried to run back to the subway.

A silver Mercedes hit Hehman as he darted into the street. "His feet were knocked out from under him," he was thrown into the air, and "his head smashed into the windshield" so hard that the glass shattered, Seidemann said.

The impact left Hehman lying in a bloody heap in the street - to the great amusement of his attackers.

"[They] stood on the corner - laughing," Seidemann said.

The teens were arrested a week later. Seidemann said the grand jury that investigated the case interviewed 14 witnesses to the attack.

Only the two older kids could have been tried as adults, but the grand jury wasn't able to indict the pair on high enough charges due to what Seidemann called "a quirk" in the law. That quirk was a provision that allowed them to be indicted for second-degree murder only if they had successfully robbed Hehman before he was killed.

Copyright 2006 NYP Holdings, Inc.

TomAuch
April 15th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Those "kids" are nothing more than a bunch of malevolent thugs! They should get way more than 18 months! Their sentences should be extended by the simple fact that they laughed at TLOZ while he was dying and didn't help him.

ablarc
April 15th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Put yourself in their shoes. Your mark runs into the street and gets hit. He's lying on the ground, dying, and you're laughing.

Imagine the depth of hatred you would have to feel to do that.

lofter1
April 15th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I think it's more indifference than hatred -- which to me is much sadder.

Citytect
April 15th, 2006, 07:01 PM
April 15, 2006
4 Harlem Boys Will Be Tried as Juveniles
By ANEMONA HARTOCOLLIS

Terrible news. How deeply saddening that justice will not be served to these thugs.

NoyokA
April 15th, 2006, 08:42 PM
He was far too young and had way too big of a heart to have deserved this fate. I truly hope that he is enjoying his time with his mother once again.

Hadn't thought about that. Touching thought.

BrooklynRider
April 15th, 2006, 09:16 PM
The more details of the incident I hear the more upset I become. To think that he lay there and they LAUGHED! I am beginning to feel a sense of rage, which I am channeling back into this memoial project. I am outraged and cannot be idle in our wait for the trial.

We are going to make a statement that this whole city hears! The worse this story gets the more we need to get people on board with us. Please share the story of our project.

This was our first press release. It was accompanied by Jasonik's beatiful project flyer available for download from this site or via email if you make a request to me or Jasonik via PM.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Attached is the completed project flyer (PDF format) for the WiredNewYork.com "J.B. Hehman (a.k.a. TLOZ Link5) Memorial Project." We are extremely pleased to be collaborating with the non-profit New York Restoration Project, who have developed and led some of the most astounding natural, parkland and community garden restorations in New York City.

J.B. Hehman was a member of the WiredNewYork community and a prolific contributor to our forum with 3,320 posts since November 13, 2002. He made his final post to our forum community on April 1st, 2006, three days prior to his senseless death in Harlem at the age of 20. WiredNewYork is a community of 585 Active Members with thousands of guests joining us to discuss New York City architecture, real estate, culture, politics and issues impacting New Yorkers. J.B., who went by the user name of TLOZ Link5, was a gentle soul and a light-hearted guy and, in the mix of his almost daily posts, were words of wisdom, foresight and introspection that seem beyond his twenty years.

Our virtual community has reacted to this loss with a fervent drive to bring something constructive and productive to the community where this incident occurred. A project that reflects the compassion and kindness of J.B. Hehman that will enhance the community with a beautiful, sincere and lasting asset, which will be executed and dedicated by our anonymous members in J.B. Hehman's memory. We invite New Yorkers who wish to channel their energies into a demonstration of peace, community and healing to join us and ask that they follow the attached instructions. We have ambitious plans and hope that, with the support and generosity of New Yorkers, we may execute this and similarly spirited projects in J.B. Hehman's memory.

Further information about our project, J.B. Hehman, and WiredNewYork.com can be found at www.wirednewyork.com/jb (http://www.wirednewyork.com/jb). The entire WiredNewYork.com community forums can be found at www.wirednewyork.com/forum (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum).

This project is being developed and executed by volunteers with the expert guidance of The New York Restoration Project.

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE IT INTO AN EMAIL AND SEND IT TO YOUR PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS BOOK. PREFACE IT WITH A PERSONAL NOTE ASKING FOR DONATIONS OF ANY AMOUNT. MY RESPONSE TO FRIENDS WHO TELL ME THEY THINK WHAT I AM DOING IS WONDERFUL IS THIS (and I urge you to use it):

I am committed to making this project a success and making strong, positive and lasting response. For that reason, I cannot be shy in asking for your finacial support. If you can help us with a tax deuctible donation, please follow the instructions below.

Please click on the link below and follow these basic instructions:

https://www.nyrp.org/joingive.php?action=donate

1) Choose "Make a donation"
2) Select your amount.
3) Continue and enter your personal information.
4) When you get to the credit card page, please enter in the "COMMENTS" area: Restricted to JB Hehman Project
5) Please, for purposes of our own WiredNewYork acknowledgements, send an email to HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com. Let us know how much you contributed (so I can continue to report a running total for our community) and, if you are inclined, provide us with your WiredNewYork Username. All information will be kept confidential.

Thank in advance for your generosity and your help.

Classical123
April 16th, 2006, 12:43 AM
I'm new to this forum (an Oklahoman considering moving to NYC to live and work), and the first thing I encountered when I visited the main page was the news about J.B. Hehman. I'm so very sorry for your loss. :( What happened to him, and the cruelty with which it was carried out, is almost unspeakable, but it's heartening to see that so many here care about him and have taken steps to ensure that his legacy lives on.

I look forward to getting to know all of you better in time, and please know that you, his family, and his friends are in my thoughts and prayers; it's clear he touched many lives while he was here...

~ Allison

lofter1
April 16th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Rev. Al sad for NYU student kin

By CELESTE KATZ
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER
April 16, 2006

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/409330p-346362c.html

The Rev. Al Sharpton offered condolences yesterday to the family of an NYU student allegedly chased to his death by teens in Harlem, but he disputed that he or the community had downplayed the incident.

"What I am disturbed at is the false depiction that this community did not give any kind of condolence or support to the family - [and] second, the characterizing of these young men as 'wolf packs,'" Sharpton said at a Harlem news conference.

"If they are guilty, they ought to face the system. But we didn't call people 'wolf packs' in Howard Beach last year or 19 years ago," Sharpton added, referring to violent incidents in Queens where the victims were black and the suspects white.

Broderick John Hehman, 20, died April 5 at Harlem Hospital, four days after boys allegedly trying to steal his cell phone chased him in front of a car that struck him on E. 125th St.

Humberto Guzman, 13; Denzell Fell, 13; Hassan Mayfield, 15, and Andre Johnson, 15, are scheduled to appear in Family Court tomorrow. Prosecutors have said the quartet will be charged as juveniles, not adults.

At least one witness reported hearing one of the assailants yell, "Get the white boy!" as the student tried to escape. Asked if Hehman's death was a hate crime, Sharpton said authorities have already ruled that out.

"I do not condone any crime - hate or not," he said. The Hehmans, whom Sharpton said he had not contacted directly, were not available for comment yesterday.

normaldude
April 16th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Wow. I haven't posted on WiredNewYork in a while.

I had heard about the JB Hehman murder in Harlem. But I never made the connection to TLOZ on WiredNewYork.

Rest in peace, J.B. Hehman / TLOZ. We enjoyed your posts & contributions, and you will be missed.

lofter1
April 17th, 2006, 12:04 AM
Sharpton Says Harlem Death Not Rooted in Bias or Hate

By ANTHONY RAMIREZ (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/r/anthony_ramirez/index.html?inline=nyt-per)
NY TIMES
April 16, 2006

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/16/nyregion/16march.html

Standing steps away in Harlem from where a white man was fatally injured while trying to escape four black teenagers accused of trying to rob him, the Rev. Al Sharpton (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/al_sharpton/index.html?inline=nyt-per) yesterday denounced the death as a crime and a tragedy but avoided the racially charged language he has used when condemning attacks in the past.

Mr. Sharpton, who spoke at a news conference, said he was not using the words "hate crime" and similar terms because prosecutors themselves had declined to make that charge.

On Friday, the Manhattan district attorney said the four teenagers — two are 13 and two are 15 — had been indicted for felony murder and other charges in the death of Broderick J. Hehman, 20, a New York University (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/n/new_york_university/index.html?inline=nyt-org) student.

The teenagers, who will be tried as juveniles, are accused of killing Mr. Hehman by chasing him into a car's path during a robbery attempt on April 1.
Mr. Hehman was hit on 125th Street near Park Avenue, a busy intersection next to the Metro-North Railroad elevated tracks. He later died of his injuries.

The authorities declined to charge the teenagers, who live in Harlem, with a hate crime, saying the motive for the attack was robbery, not racism. At first, one attacker was reported to have yelled, "Get the white guy."

But on further investigation, the police said the attackers may not have meant it as a slur. The youths had earlier focused on a Hispanic man, but were dissuaded by a passing police car, the police said.

In the initial confusion over whether the death was a bias crime, some commentators denounced Harlem political figures, including Mr. Sharpton, for not being evenhanded in their denunciation of racial violence.

On Saturday, after a meeting of his organization, the National Action Network, Mr. Sharpton denounced Mr. Hehman's killing, as he had done in a prepared statement earlier in the week.

"The message is that we don't condone any killing," Mr. Sharpton said. "We sent our condolences to the family" of Mr. Hehman, "and those that say that people in Harlem didn't respond, that is not true. Everyone feels that this was wrong."

Also at the news conference were Councilwoman Melissa Mark-Viverito, former Councilman Bill Perkins, and Charles King, a candidate for state attorney general.

Copyright 2006 (http://www.nytimes.com/ref/membercenter/help/copyright.html)The New York Times Company (http://www.nytco.com/)

Fabrizio
April 17th, 2006, 07:18 AM
"Mr. Sharpton, who spoke at a news conference, said he was not using the words "hate crime" and similar terms because prosecutors themselves had declined to make that charge."

LOL. He certainly had no problem going against prosecuters and authorities in the Tawana Brawley case:

http://www.slate.com/id/2087557/

kz1000ps
April 17th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Wow.

I've been having computer/internet problems for the last two months and would only check in every once in a while due to the time constraints. Now things are back up and runing fine; I return to this site expecting to spend at least three hours catching up on the nearly two weeks of news I've missed out on. But instead I've spent that time reading about JB.

I feel that, in this time, I've gone through a seriously condensed form of grieving, as I've learned of whatever developments came up as they've been posted on the 14 pages of this thread. Just about everything has been said by now, so I will keep my words short. But man.....I feel I need to say something.

Right now I see a silver lining, and it's right outside my window. Today is Patriot's Day, the day of the Boston Marathon, and a Red Sox game just got out. From my room, I see people EVERYWHERE. The game just got out so fans have swamped my street (we won, the fans are drunk and happy), and I can even see a glimpse of the runners on Commonwealth Ave, on the home stretch just a few blocks from the finish line. So now I will go out with friends and enjoy the vitality that has consumed my city for this day. I'm almost kinda happy I learned of this today.....

RIP, JB.

BrooklynRider
April 17th, 2006, 05:41 PM
J.B.'s father and sister remain in mourning and have made no comments, to the best of our knowledge, on this project. Please know it will be planned and executed with the utmost dignity and with a great sensitivity to the family. However, I am sharing this snip from an email I received today.

"I am not a member of Wired New York Forum, but as a member of JB's family, I want to support your wonderful effort in memory of this wonderful young man. I thank all the members of the Forum who have been contributing with their kind thoughts, memories, and love for JB. I have contributed anonymously."

We must succeed my friends and we must continue to urge our friends, families and fellow forum members to support our efforts financially. We need to meet our $5000 goal! Please read the "JB Memorial Project Going Forward" thread.

PLEASE MAKE A DONATION AND PUSH US OVER THE $2000 MARK!

Please contribute today! All donations are tax-deductible.

Please click on the link below and follow these basic instructions:

https://www.nyrp.org/joingive.php?action=donate

1) Choose "Make a donation"
2) Select your amount.
3) Continue and enter your personal information.
4) When you get to the credit card page, please enter in the "COMMENTS" area: Restricted to JB Hehman Project
5) Please, for purposes of our own WiredNewYork acknowledgements, send an email to HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com. Let us know how much you contributed (so I can continue to report a running total for our community) and, if you are inclined, provide us with your WiredNewYork Username. All information will be kept confidential.

Thank you all in advance for your generosity and your help. Let's show the power and commitment of our community. Please visit the "JB Memorial Moving Forward" thread for tally updates.

lofter1
April 18th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Four Teens Formally Charged In NYU Student's Death

NY 1
April 17, 2006

http://www.ny1.com/ny1/content/index.jsp?stid=1&aid=58699

The four teens accused of chasing an NYU student to his death during a failed robbery attempt in Harlem earlier this month were formally charged in connection with the case Monday.

The teens - two 13-year-olds and two 15-year-olds - appeared in Family Court, where they were hit with a series of criminal charges, including felony murder, second-degree manslaughter and two counts of attempted robbery.

Despite the harsh allegations, the boys are being tried as juveniles facing a maximum of five years behind bars.

The four teens allegedly chased 20-year-old Broderick Hehman in an attempt to rob him on 125th Street on April 1st. Hehman got away, but he was hit by a car and suffered multiple skull fractures.

Hehman died several days later in a local hospital.

The judge has ordered the teens to be held in a youth detention facility until their next court date on April 27th.

Copyright © 2006 NY1 News

BrooklynRider
April 20th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Robert ....

Below is something you are free to use anyway you wish. There has been so much about "hate crime," and the far right is beating the drum. JB wouldn't have wanted that, as I am sure you know. So, if you can use what I wrote below to help put things in a better context, either one on one or on the Forum, please do so.

What those young people did not only ended up with the death of this wonderful young man but also devastated his family and so many of us who loved him, as well as their own families. What a senseless waste all round.
We hate the crime, and we are staggering under the shock and grief of it, the loss of JB. But he himself would not want this flared up into something it isn't. He was an intelligent, caring young man, who was strong in his faith and had so much compassion and understanding. He believed in forgiveness. So do we, even though, right now, that is not easy. But JB would want us to work on that, and we will.
-- a family member

Merry
April 23rd, 2006, 11:38 PM
April 18, 2006

NEW YORK

MANHATTAN: NO RELEASE FOR TEENAGERS A Family Court judge yesterday refused to release four teenagers accused of trying to rob a New York University student in Harlem and then chasing him into the path of a car, which struck and killed him. The decision by Judge Robert Stolz came after the prosecutor, Laurie T. Smith, said that one of the boys had told the police that "he doesn't do robberies for money but for entertainment." Judge Stolz said the robbery of the student, Broderick J. Hehman, appeared to be premeditated, and that returning the boys to their homes before trial would be "contrary to their best interests" and those of the community. The defendants — Denzell Fell, 13; Humberto Guzman, 13; Clarence Hassan Mayfield, 15; and Andre Johnson, 15 — were arraigned on charges of felony murder, criminally negligent homicide, manslaughter, attempted robbery and gang assault. They denied the charges. ANEMONA HARTOCOLLIS (NYT)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/18/nyregion/18mbrfs.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

If it wasn't enough of an assault on our sensibilities that they laughed, to boldly assert such a repugnant motive for their criminal acts is truly a jarring blow to the healing process. I really want to understand, but I don't know how at the moment. In JB's memory, I'll do my best, though.

JCMAN320
April 25th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Those punks should get what they deserve. I hate people like them. J.B. was a fellow Urban Studies major like myself and him and I were the same age and this should not happen to someone whos life was just about to take stride. I cried when I heard this and felt terribly sad because he did not deserve this. This gets me so mad that these four punks did this with no remorse and were laughing when he got hit. I wish I could take care of them myself. I hate criminals, I've always wanted to be a police officer and this makes me feel more strongly about possibly pursuing it.

J.B.'s death will not be in vain we all here will make sure that it isn't and we will make sure that his spirit and love for the city will live on forever. I will continue on pursuing my urban studies major, the same as his, in his spirit and when I graduate I will think of him when I'm on that podiem.

lofter1
April 25th, 2006, 07:18 PM
JCMAN320: Your thoughts and feelings are totally undertandable. Hoping that we can enlist you (and others) to lift JB's spirit by joining members of the wirednewyork community:

Planting Day at "Maggie's Garden" (http://www.nyrp.org/nygt_maggiesgarden.htm) is set for Saturday May 13 from 10 AM - 12 Noon.

Planting VOLUNTEERS needed and WELCOME!!

Please join the wirednewyork community on that day and help us begin our efforts to keep JB's spirit -- and his love for NYC -- alive.

More info at THIS_THREAD (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?p=94034#post94034)

dtolman
April 26th, 2006, 06:10 PM
I've only been logging in occasionally the past few weeks and just finally noticed the header message just a few minutes after chuckling over his comments in the London Skyscraper Projects thread. I remember seeing this in the news weeks ago but never realized he was a poster here. His comments were always thoughtful and entertaining - for some reason I always assumed he was years older than he was...

kz1000ps
April 27th, 2006, 12:03 AM
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post my needs, but...

I absolutely want to get down into the city to help with planting, for up to this point I've felt rather hapless and detached from the whole tragedy up here in Boston. So, I really want to come down, BUT the earliest Amtrak train doesn't get in to Penn until 10:50, meaning it'd be all but pointless for me to come down that Saturday morning.

As a result, I'm asking all forumers for a place to stay for that Friday night. My name is Phil, I'm 23, very neat and tidy (I've lived with an utter slob before..), and unless you possess the World's Most Abrasive Personality, then we should get along perfectly, as I'm very laid back and thoughtful, and can get along with just about anybody (as Fabrizio drunkenly said, I do love all you guys, whether you know it or not). Just give me a bathroom and a floor, I'll bring a pillow and that's about as needy as I'll get.

So if you're interested and willing, send me a PM. Were it not for the time of day, I'd be there without hesistation, but circumstances have forced me otherwise.....pleeeeez help!

BrooklynRider
April 27th, 2006, 09:09 PM
I'm not sure if this is the best place to post my needs, but...

I absolutely want to get down into the city to help with planting, for up to this point I've felt rather hapless and detached from the whole tragedy up here in Boston. So, I really want to come down, BUT the earliest Amtrak train doesn't get in to Penn until 10:50, meaning it'd be all but pointless for me to come down that Saturday morning.

As a result, I'm asking all forumers for a place to stay for that Friday night. My name is Phil, I'm 23, very neat and tidy (I've lived with an utter slob before..), and unless you possess the World's Most Abrasive Personality, then we should get along perfectly, as I'm very laid back and thoughtful, and can get along with just about anybody (as Fabrizio drunkenly said, I do love all you guys, whether you know it or not). Just give me a bathroom and a floor, I'll bring a pillow and that's about as needy as I'll get.

So if you're interested and willing, send me a PM. Were it not for the time of day, I'd be there without hesistation, but circumstances have forced me otherwise.....pleeeeez help!

Has anyone responded to your very touching request?

kz1000ps
April 27th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Not yet, Brooklyn, but there's still some time. I hath faith, lol.

PHLguy
April 28th, 2006, 12:43 PM
My condolonces to his family. :(

Such a young life taken short... So Sad

RIP JB

James Kovata
April 30th, 2006, 12:25 AM
"I find your fondness for fondue phenomenal!!"

nyinvestordude
May 1st, 2006, 08:07 AM
But I feel like I know JB already. What a cooll dude! Cool and young is what impresses me and coming onto the web, which nearly preaches anonymity, JB in his passing obviously shows he was a aeons ahead of your would be casual web surfer--he made a difference. I wish the mainstream media could see some of these posts, comments and replies in not only this thread but in all the threads that he posted in. People who did not know him and in particular, the good people of Harlem will come to see that losing JB in this senseless manner is a loss for us all.

BrooklynRider
May 1st, 2006, 08:35 AM
A compilation by our project team members of "The Best of TLOZ Link5 Posts" has been compiled and is available in both MS Word form and PDF format upon request. It has been shared with members of the press. We, again, will be issuing a follow-up press release that will include those posts in this homestretch to our memorial day. We urge and appeal to visitors of this site and the JB Memorial threads to PLEASE SUPPORT THIS PROJECT.

Make a 100% tax-deductible donation via Internet at New York Restoration Project's secure site at www.nyrp.org. When you reach the final credit card page, it is VERY important that you note "Restricted to JB Hehman Memorial Project" in the "comments" area.

OR

Mail a check to the "JB Hehmen Memorial Project" to New York Restoration Project, 254 West 31st Street, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10001.

OR

International donors can contact Breanne Scanlon at BScanlon@NYRP.org or call her at 212-333-2552 to execute a secure donation via phone, email or fax.

We are extremely excited to be undertaking this positive, productive and meaningful project in JB Hehman's name and each dollar contributed allows us to fulfill our original vision for the project.

cyppok
May 1st, 2006, 11:16 AM
very very bad thing that happened. My hope is with him wherever he is. A terrible shame that this happens to someone so young and bright. Sharpton is double faced always trying to slide the issues his way intead of the way it really is. I remember seeing the coverage of his death on tv and feeling terrible. The guy is so young and dying so needlessly over pure greed on the part of teenagers whos parents let the streets discipline their chidlren. Ofcourse its a hate crime if their notion of targeting him was because : jews have money and he is a jew get him to get money.... They need to prosecute this as a hate crime.

nyinvestordude
May 2nd, 2006, 06:46 PM
I spoke to brooklyn rider about this. I suggest elevating JB's screen name/username on this forum to moderator status and then retiring it. That is to say that it will not be deleted but it will not be used for any reason by any other member of the group. Just an online monument to his memory. From what I saw of most of his postings and threads, he acted as a moderator for this forum anyway.

lofter1
May 2nd, 2006, 07:50 PM
Ofcourse its a hate crime if their notion of targeting him was because : jews have money and he is a jew get him to get money...

At the risk of alienating a fellow forumer: Sometimes it's best to keep certain thoughts to ourselves.

Nothing has come forward to back up some of what you write. And I doubt that JB would agree or find it of much use.

Fini ...

submachine
May 4th, 2006, 11:34 PM
The defendants — Denzell Fell, 13; Humberto Guzman, 13; Clarence Hassan Mayfield, 15; and Andre Johnson, 15 .

I still don't understand, why would he run away from these kids?

Stand your ground against punks like this.

Chicagoan
May 4th, 2006, 11:45 PM
I have not posted in years and today I got an email about this.

I never knew him or met him personally, but I enjoyed exchanging information and sharing ideas with him on this site. I suppose that the internet can impersonally connect us but a tragedy like this does it, albeit brutally, on a human level.

It is overwhelmingly sad and duly sensless that one so young would die and in such a manner. I will refrain from my typical social commentary on the causes for this.... it is just so sad.

requiescat in pace J. B.

Classical123
May 4th, 2006, 11:52 PM
I can think of a couple:

1. Four against one. (Not good odds, especially when the victim is unarmed.)

2. The attackers' ages mean little; they were threatening him as a group, and they also caught him by surprise after dark when he was alone.

J.B. responded in the best way he could, given the circumstances and the element of surprise he faced. Thinking about this saddens me; it was such a heartless crime.

hkboy313
May 5th, 2006, 02:36 AM
depressing and sad to hear this bad news. rest in peace my friend.

DrStrangelove
May 5th, 2006, 03:31 AM
Very sorry to hear about all this. I have to work on the 13th, but I will find someway to contribute. David.

billysbillys
May 5th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Very sorry to hear about the death of such a talented young man...........

Evgeny
May 5th, 2006, 01:40 PM
He was one of those forumers whose posts were extremely useful and interesting to read. I bet he was a good person and it hurts to see him go. Rest in Peace TLOZ.

BrooklynRider
May 5th, 2006, 06:26 PM
As many of us have learned through reading his posts, he was very sensitive to others and seemed, even in his most frustrated and angry posts, to be a person essentially rooted in a philosophy of non-violence. To the degree that he broke free of his captors, he fought back. To know that he broke free and ran, reinforces, for me, the fact that this young man lived by certain principles - including that one of non-violence.

The memorial day of community service we are planning and the endowment fund we seek to create are wonderful ways to celebrate J.B. in a form, it seems, he would be very pleased with. I hope people will support this project by volunteering and contributing generously.

submachine
May 5th, 2006, 08:10 PM
this young man lived by certain principles - including that one of non-violence.

It is not "violent" to defend oneself.

Maybe if you saw what was once Mr. Hehman, bloody and broken in the middle of the street, you would accept that those "principles" will always end up in failure.

ManhattanKnight
May 5th, 2006, 10:48 PM

Maybe if you saw what was once Mr. Hehman, bloody and broken in the middle of the street, you would accept that those "principles" will always end up in failure.

You are a very new member of this forum, and your moronic name choice and lurid vocabulary speak for themselves.

This is a place to remember and treasure JB. Not for political or any other kind of ranting. None of us was with JB on East 125th Street (or even knew him in life), and none of us should be arrogant enough to think that we know or can judge what he thought or felt or did in the last seconds of his conscious life, much less seek to use his life, words, or death in advocacy of anything.

That said, I smile when I imagine what JB might have said in response to your blood-drenched polemic.

BrooklynRider
May 5th, 2006, 11:08 PM

I don't think defending oneself is a violent action, but there is the psychology of fight or flight and it is a survival mechanism. In each of us, it is activated differently. Perhaps I just identify more with JB's actions than you might. I find what he did sensible, while I find his death tragic and senseless.

I didn't see his body ever - alive or dead. I only knew the spirit and thoughtfulness of a person who happened to be J.B. Hehman. The principle of non-violence will never prove to be a failure. Violent people are inherently weak and that's why they resort to violence.Some, like JB were wise enough to fight back and strong enough morally to not want to engage in violence. Had he fought back, as you suggest he should have, he may have lived and we might be reading headlines just as outrageous of a 20-year-old man severely beating four kids under the age of 16. So, I suggest we stay with the facts. JB is gone and the circumstances are disturbing, horrible and senseless.

Your post certainly conveys passion and feeling, so why not come out and join us on May 13th and channel it into something productive and constructive. Fighting back is balling up ones fist aiming it at something and giving it all you've got. I'm suggesting you come with the same energy but with an open hand. Let the energy flow. Let the charge out. Leave something beautiful behin in JB's honor and memory.

Consider it. We need the help and we need people from everywhere to join us for the statement to resonate. I love your fighting spirit. Wanna put it to use?

mrbubs
May 6th, 2006, 09:16 PM
uhhhhhh, hi.

I'm new, so I should venture out to say this much: I'm JB's friend. I was contacted by a mod here shortly after the event. It made me feel very happy that he had an impact like this on people he probably never met, but still enjoyed talking with. I can't recall the times he made us late for engagements because of this site.

anyway, I have thoughts on real estate, and I figured since I lost a friend, I'd try to connect with those he was connected to.

that being said, it's nice to see that people can entertain thoughts to help them cope, but I'm going to come off and say that I don't think he would appreciate his death being subsumed by the attachments of media. I don't think he'd care for references to sharpton, or about specific conditions that led to his death (him being jewish, I read coming across here...? Come on, don't be absurd).

Anyway, thanks for this display of emotion and affection for him. I look forward to participating here.

kz1000ps
May 7th, 2006, 11:07 PM
I can't recall the times he made us late for engagements because of this site.

That put a huge smile on my face reading this. You have/had one hell of a friend, but we all already know that. Welcome to the board; it's great to have someone who personally knew him in his day-to-day existence.

Ptarmigan
May 8th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Sorry to hear about it. My condolences to his family.

manchesterexport
May 8th, 2006, 08:26 AM
Gee, I am saddened by this. I may not be American or profess to live in nyc, BUT I can see the kind of introverted racism (black on white) that occurs in these cities here. RIP buddy. :(

BrooklynRider
May 8th, 2006, 10:50 AM
As tragic and sad as this story is, I think a few points might be worthwhile to readers of this thread.

1) The only fact in this case that is undisputed is that on April 1st JB Hehman was attacked, fled his attackers and was struck by a car.
2) JB passed away as a result of his injuries three days later.
3) The alleged attackers provided confessions to police and there is nothing in the information released thus far for anyone to assume this was a bias or hate crime. Specifically, it does not appear JB was attacked due to race, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation or disability. He was attacked because he was a convenient victim - an easy mark.

Let's try to exert some common sense and self control and not unnecessarily or erroneously fan flames of hatred. We are all angry, sad and seeking justice, but the attack was horrendous enough without tagging it further as a race crime. When the trial starts, we can all weigh in on the testimony.

The question of "why" will never have a satisfactory or logical answer.

krulltime
May 8th, 2006, 01:10 PM
uhhhhhh, hi.

I'm new, so I should venture out to say this much: I'm JB's friend. I was contacted by a mod here shortly after the event. It made me feel very happy that he had an impact like this on people he probably never met, but still enjoyed talking with. I can't recall the times he made us late for engagements because of this site.

anyway, I have thoughts on real estate, and I figured since I lost a friend, I'd try to connect with those he was connected to.

that being said, it's nice to see that people can entertain thoughts to help them cope, but I'm going to come off and say that I don't think he would appreciate his death being subsumed by the attachments of media. I don't think he'd care for references to sharpton, or about specific conditions that led to his death (him being jewish, I read coming across here...? Come on, don't be absurd).

Anyway, thanks for this display of emotion and affection for him. I look forward to participating here.

Welcome mrbubs... thanks for stopping by.

thomasjfletcher
May 9th, 2006, 01:17 AM
I just wanted to say that I was sorry to hear this. Tloz was mature and fair. I was amazed when I first learnt how young he was. He was a wise fellow. What a loss.
Tom

bubdanose
May 11th, 2006, 02:23 PM
In every race there low caliber moronic idiots who couldn't survive in a conventional group setting even if they wanted too. Unfortunately, the people who are not the idiots of the world are the ones who suffer the most. Sometimes these idiots run in packs because they are spineless alone. Again, it doesn't matter about race or religion...

You hear the babble about their humble and terrible beginnings...excuses...the more excuses we make the less they have to work at being decent. They are like out of control recalcitrant children who do not have morals, conscience, or any self-esteem.

LuPeRcALiO
May 13th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Goodbye TLOZ Link5, you're one of the good guys.

lofter1
May 13th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Just as we gathered for a group photo around the newly-planted Mountain Silverbell flowering tree the fog cleared and the sun came out !!

It was a terrific day of remembrance for JB ...

Here is what we planted:

JB's Tree: `Rosea' Mountain Silverbell (http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ST292)(Halesia monticola)

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/hort/ext/Hafele/images/large/1-026.jpg

http://www.ncwildflower.org/plants/halesia_carolina/halesia_carolina01.jpg

Grasses:

Japanese silvergrass (http://www.eeob.iastate.edu/research/iowagrasses/ornamental/MiscaSinenOr.html) (Miscanthus sinensis)

http://www.eeob.iastate.edu/research/iowagrasses/ornamental/aaimages/MisSin12s.jpg

Variegated Sedge (http://www.robsplants.com/plants/CarexMorro.php) (Carex)

http://www.robsplants.com/images/portrait/CarexMorrowiiIceDance040805.jpg

Japanese Blood Grass (Imperata cylindrica) (http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/416.shtml)

http://www.longsgarden.com/images/36%20Japanese%20blood%20grass.jpg

Black Mondo Grass (http://www.plantoftheweek.org/week267.shtml) (Ophiopogon planiscapus 'nigrescens')

http://www.plantoftheweek.org/image/ophiopogon.jpg

Daylilies: 'Strawberry Candy' (http://www.papagenos.com/plantdb/bareroots.asp?catid=85) (Hemerocallis)

http://www.papagenos.com/picts/Daylily%20images%20for%20PPG%20site/Hemero.StrawberryCandy.sm.jpg

Vines: Dutchman's Pipe (http://www.swsbm.com/Britton-Brown/Aristolochia_macrophylla.gif) (Aristolochia durior (http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/consumer/factsheets/vines/aristolochia_durior.html))

http://www.bonniesplants.com/favorite_land_plants/dutchmans.jpg

Perennial flowering plants: White_Snakeroot (http://www.virginiagarden.com/eupatorm.html) (Eupatorium rugosum Chocolate)

http://www.tsflowers.com/eupatorium_chocolate.jpg

kz1000ps
May 13th, 2006, 10:52 PM
Thanks for posting those, Lofter. A horticulturally-minded friend was just asking me what we planted, to which I could only stand there, mouth agape, and drool in response...

Today was great fun. Thanks to all those who made my 21 hours in the city so memorable!

Especially BR and Matt Damon!!

BrooklynRider
May 14th, 2006, 12:51 AM
It was wonderful! We had a great turn out and a great and diverse group of people working in the garden. Best moment - the sun came out - on queue - as Lofter1 made the dedication.

Thanks MidtownGuy for the photos. Brian from NYRP will be emailing his and I'll post them as well.

kz1000ps
May 24th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Yesterday's Clyde Haberman nYc article on the front page of the Times' metro section had a brief paragraph mentioning JB's incident. It's only on Times Select, but I'll write out the paragraph and its context.

Finding Hate in a Whack on the Head
By CLYDE HABERMAN
Published: May 23, 2006

New York's latest attempt to punish impure thought got under way yesterday in the Queens County Criminal Court building.

..Complicating matters is an uneven application of the (hate crimes) law that may puzzle many New Yorkers.

Last month, four black teenagers, accused of trying to rob a white college student in Harlem, chased him into the path of a car that struck and killed him. "Get the white guy," they yelled, according to a witness. They were not charged with a hate crime. But five black teenage girls were so charged after they beat a group of white girls in Brooklyn last year while chanting phrases like "white cracker."

Whatever one may think of the law on its own merits, consistent enforcement has not exactly been a hallmark..

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/tsc.html?URI=http://select.nytimes.com/2006/05/23/nyregion/23nyc.html&OQ=_rQ3D1&OP=72b9fd81Q2FFlTQ26FQ24GBWWQ24FQ5BqqeFqYFQ5BOF)jB Tx-W)FQ5BO)jQ7CQ3EtQ24r2

Libby
May 28th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Sunday, April 28th would have been JB's 21st birthday. I will be thinking of him and will raise a glass and a prayer in honor of him.

Libby

lofter1
May 28th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I join you in that, Libby ...

To JB -- who left us too soon, but whose spirit is remembered here and elsewhere.

Clarknt67
May 28th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Wow, I usually surf right into the forums page and missed this thread, not catching it until I saw it by happenstance on the main page. I'd been following this story in the news and felt saddened by the loss of someone so young and charismatic to such a senseless circumstances.

I had no idea we'd crossed paths. I wish the best for him and his family. God bless.

Renegade
May 29th, 2006, 07:42 AM
This is my first post, so i never knew J.B but i can see that he was a well respected member of community here, and i offer my condolences to the guys that knew him and of course his family.

BrooklynRider
May 29th, 2006, 06:56 PM
JB is fondly remembered today. I hope he and his mom continue their journey in a world of peace and wonderful architecture (he'd want that).

NyC MaNiAc
June 10th, 2006, 07:49 PM
I've been away from this community for a while, and it seems, for far too long.

I'm just now hearing about the news of TLOZ's death and am frustrated and saddened.

From my time here I saw him as a respectful source of knowledge, and I'll miss that.

I can only offer my condolences to family and friends.

R.I.P TLOZ.

NoyokA
June 12th, 2006, 11:21 PM
JB is remembered on Wikipedia. I would like to thank whoever added this wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wired_New_York

OmegaNYC
June 12th, 2006, 11:35 PM
My God. I didn't even know this was TLOZ. I'm so sorry to hear about this. I can still remember hearing this stroy on the news. Just horrible what hate can do to people. So sad..

Merry
June 13th, 2006, 11:19 AM

TomAuch, I believe. Nice.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9018

BrooklynRider
June 14th, 2006, 02:07 AM
With the memorial project behind us, I can say that JB had a profound effect on me. I still think of him each time I pass someone asking for money. With that thought, I always give something.

Hof
July 3rd, 2006, 02:44 PM
I have come late to this post,as I have in many,making my ideas into words only after digesting the substance of the subject.
For as long as I've posted on The WNY Forum,I've enjoyed the TLOZ posts.They were insightful,well written and always informative.They will be missed,as will the man that crafted them.

I was surprised at his relative youth--he was really wise beyond his years,and I am saddened that such a brilliant light was not allowed to grow and become even brighter.
Condolences to his relatives and friends.He must have been one of those people who was just a pleasure to know.And condolences to all those on this Board,for we will now have to move on,diminished somewhat by the absence of a valued and respected member who has been brutally snatched from our community.

I will be glad to contribute to his memorial,although I'll probably never visit it due to it's North Manhattan location...

And to the slimey pack of slugs who drove JB to his death...Ah,forget it.My thoughts about those sub-par bundles of carbon gone wrong would just set off a chitstorm and get me banished from here,and I don't want that...

BrooklynRider
July 8th, 2006, 03:00 AM
NY Restoration Project has kept the JB Hehman Memorial Fund open for donations. You can Make check payable to "NY Restoration Project" and note "Hehman Memorial Fund". It can be sent to NY Restoration Project, 254 West 31st Street, 10th Floor, NY, NY 10001. The best response to ugly, destructive behavior is to create something beautiful and inviting inspite of it. This fund will continue to do work in JB's memory.

As for your feelings about the perpetrators, it is natural to be angry and an opinion won't get you banned to the best of my knowledge. Our project has had wonderful repercussions including offering JB's family a lovely garden spot to remember him on his 21st birthday. If you keep bringing yourself to the fact that his last willful act was giving a dollar to a person in a wheelchair, it's hard not to let that kind of spirit move you to a more compassionate place - regardless of how heartless, cowardly and incredibly stupid the attack on JB was.

krulltime
July 10th, 2006, 02:01 PM

Yeah that is too awesome.

patreek
July 15th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Hi,

My name is Patrick... I was a very good friend of JB's, he was actually on his way to see me when this all happened. It has been nice reading this forum...someone had mentioned being able to put JB's writings on a CD.. is that possible. How would it be done? As you know he was a brilliant guy and a great writer... I know I for one would love to have something like that. I'm sure his family would as well.

I can't believe it has been 3 months since this all happened. It still feels like it was last week. JB was one of the most wonderful people I've ever known.