PDA

View Full Version : Remembering JB

NoyokA
April 6th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I would like us, the forum to establish some way/s to remember JB. I know there are a lot of suggestions and I would like to hear an open discourse. Let’s keep this thread separate from discussing the circumstances of JB’s death, there's another thread for that, unless ofcourse they have to do with an appropriate memorial. I also want to say that I think this is a very important issue and that I would like to see an active response, whether its organizing, monetary, or physical labor. It wont require that much whatever it is, but I don’t want JB’s death to be forgotten and I don’t want an effort in remembering him to be a pipedream.

czsz
April 6th, 2006, 01:56 PM
I think it would be nice to collect his comments on this site- either the better/best ones or all of them, in a memorial thread...though this, I think, is the least that can be done.

Edward
April 6th, 2006, 02:15 PM
I think it would be nice to collect his comments on this site
All posts by TLOZ Link5 (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/search.php?do=finduser&u=2527)

BrooklynRider
April 6th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Both Ablarc and I thought it might be beneficial to collect funds toward a reward for the capture of his assailants.

On another vein, I contacted Hudson River Park and they do not allow commemorative tree plantings or plaque. The guy there, Rich Martin, said Central Park and Prospect Park do have programs like this. I don;t know the area where the accident occurred. Is there a park there where we might be able to do something in his honor?

Schadenfrau
April 6th, 2006, 02:23 PM
I like the idea of a memorial in an area of the city JB loved. I recall that he particularly liked Washington Heights.

BrooklynRider
April 6th, 2006, 05:11 PM
I wrote the following to the Parks Department:

I am writing you on behalf of a group of friends of JB Hehman, the young NYU student recently killed while running from assailants on 125th Street in Harlem. JB loved New York City passionately and we wanted to create a fitting memorial for him that enhances the landscape of the city that can be appreciated by all New Yorkers.

We thought we might be able to work with the Parks Department to plant and dedicate a tree or garden in his memory and embed a commemorative plaque in honor of his vibrant life. I would be most appreciative of any direction that you and you staff could give us. We were hoping to do this either in the vicinity of his death (125th Street and Park Avenue) or in a park in Washington Heights, an area he particularly enjoyed and promoted. If you could provide any type of monetary requirements, our group could initiate fund raising immediately for a Spring / early summer planting.

I look forward to your response and direction on our next steps. Thank you.

I'll keep you posted on the response.

NYatKNIGHT
April 6th, 2006, 05:42 PM
These are all touching remembrances for JB, which I would love to contribute to. Perhaps if NYU and students are creating a memorial or fund, that might be another option to contribute to - the more the better. It tugs at my heart to see his latest posts, at times still on the current pages of the latest threads - like he's still a part of the discussion. I particularly enjoy those posts of his that have been reposted in this thread, a great way to remember him. In a way, he lives on.

lofter1
April 7th, 2006, 03:28 AM
To JB's family and friends ...

Enduring thoughts of JB's wit, compassion and his great LOVE for NYC.

From AMEDE, Comelade and lofter1 ...

Comelade
April 7th, 2006, 03:34 AM
for its family and her friends

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/2348/fortloz5po.jpg

lofter1
April 8th, 2006, 10:48 AM
JB Hehman (1985-2006)

Man's search for faith. That sort of shit.
Link (http://bpdermody.livejournal.com/126413.html)

Apr. 4th, 2006 at 03:34 am

I went out for karaoke a few days before my birthday after I finished up at work. I'd never been to that bar before, but I had myself a great time. Sherry, Lindsay and Tammy were all there. Nella was there too, celebrating her birthday, and even though I'd only met her once, I knew she was cool. I'm good at sizing people up that way.

Sherry had texted me earlier that night to warn me that Tammy's psycho ex was in the house and that I should have my cockblocking gear on, or possibly something a little harder. Turned out it was a false alarm. It was Nella's friend JB.

We cracked jokes about the desperately lonely guy at the end of the bar. He backed me up as I staggered my way through "Hey Ladies", since by that point he was the only other guy in the joint who spoke any English. I'm pretty sure he bought me a beer when he found out that I would be turning twenty-eight a few days later, or that it was my girlfriend's birthday, or that she'd gotten into grad school. Maybe he was just being friendly.

When we closed the place out, Lindsay, Tammy and myself continued to anger our livers at some hole in the wall in the just-barely-West-Village. Sherry and JB headed off together and Sherry and I went for that all-too-common New York refrain: "Get home safe".

JB seemed just a little too centered for our bunch. That's as diplomatically as I can put it. But I knew right away that he was cool, and that I wanted to hang out with him again. I'm good at sizing people up that way.

Early Saturday night, while Jennie was in town and at a friend's party and I struggled through the nasty flu like symptoms that kept me home from work, JB was being chased through Harlem. He was out by Park and 125th when the Mercedes hit him. I won't get into the details of the injuries, but he was left in critical condition and a coma.

This afternoon I got a message on facebook that he was declared brain dead. I didn't see it, didn't hear about it, didn't read about it on Gothamist. It wasn't until I got to work today that Sherry told me. I got to know him for a approximately four hours. Sherry told me she knew him maybe ten days. He's gone now, and my friends are crushed. I certainly didn't know him well enough to be broken to pieces; I won't pretend that I did. But I knew that he was worth knowing. As much as I know this is bigger than me or him or anyone else I know, I can't help but feel cheated; that I missed out.

Get home safe, JB.

lofter1
April 8th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Fleetwood Mac (http://www.fmlegacy.com/sywcr_03/sywcr_0930.html)

FANS ARE NOW RATING THE SHOWS AS WELL

1-5 (5 BEING THE BEST)

Madison Square Garden
New York, NY
September 30th, 2003

Rated "5" by J.B. Hehman

Madison Square Garden on September 30th. 8:30 p.m. The best coed '70s rock band in the world that's still going strong—and the arena isn't full?!? I felt so bad that so few people came to see Fleetwood Mac that night; I thought I saw Lindsey looking up at the 300 Section and shaking his head before the lights came on. Any disappointment that he might have had following did not surface; the band kicked into motion with "The Chain" and the audience went wild. And there I was in Section 78, to the right of the stage, just about eighty feet away from the stage and having what was probably the best night of my life!

I can barely remember how the songs went; I recall what I perceived visually, as well as the thrill I felt watching a concert involving a drummer who is as talented as he is psychotic, an equally psychotic-yet-talented guitarist, a reserved bassist, and a witchy woman who's still got it goin' on at 55 years old. Watching them perform with such ease, and with no tension; now I know what people mean when they say the Mac is better than ever. During "Say You Will," "Say Goodbye," "Silver Springs" and "Landslide," Stevie and Lindsey seemed more to be performing for each other than for us. To watch that chemistry, there are just no words to describe it. "Eyes of the World," that gem from 'Mirage' I'd never heard till then, was just plain off the wall; "Second Hand News" was more rock and less ability than the original; "Never Going Back Again" had a nice extra touch with added percussion from Mick; "Tusk" was off the hook, with a memorable moment when Stevie and Lindsey "boxed"; "Silver Springs," my favorite Mac song, just had me in total bliss; "Beautiful Child" was six minutes of thrilling beauty. Lindsey "went insane," if you'll excuse the pun, on his guitar solos for "Go Your Own Way," "Come" and "I'm So Afraid;" at times he'd sit on the edge of the stage, take his hands off his guitar and let the crowd in the front row strum it for him! Lots of humping and lassoing, as well. What a wild man!

"Stand Back" was probably the hottest moment of the night. Stevie was just on fire!!! At the beginning of the show she had on a pair of three-inch orthopedic (sp?) shoes, but she got out those platform heels near the middle of the concert. After "Tusk" Taku Hirano did a big drum solo (to which Lindsey belly danced, hee hee), and then Stevie ran out on stage with that black-and-gold cape and I literally screamed myself hoarse! (I don't think the people seated behind me really liked me by the end of the night.) The whole crowd was on its feet and Stevie was in her best form in a long time; she did about twelve twirls during "Stand Back" along with two or three high kicks—pretty impressive for 55!

The night ended with "Goodbye Baby," but much of the crowd had left by then because they were unaware about the encores (lucky me; I had the playlist from the getgo). Just totally beautiful. No other word can describe it. Stevie's voice, raspy yet so tender...sorry if I'm just waxing poetic here; I just loved that song. And then they walked offstage, and it was the end to a magical night.

ablarc
April 8th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Okay, BR, times a wastin'. I want to know where to send my hundred bucks.

Iron's hot; time to strike. :)

BrooklynRider
April 9th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Check the other JB Thread. I'm looking into the steps to create an additional reward fund tomorrow.

phxmania2001
April 10th, 2006, 12:10 AM
Well, being that I don't post all that often, I never really interacted with him, but TLOZ always seemed like one of the nicest, most sincere guys on here. (Gotta love the Zelda fandom too!) His love and positive outlook on the city were nothing short of inspirational. Rest in peace.

NoyokA
April 10th, 2006, 02:51 PM
When JB died I thought a good simple way to remember him would be to rename Anything Goes, a forum which he was very active in. I was afraid that people would misunderstood the forum as a memorial and knowing how JB enjoyed posting “anything” there, I don’t think that even he would approve of such a renaming. That said, I think we should create a new sub-forum with a direction and name to still be determined. The JB Memorial Forum would have amongst other things posts remembering JB’s contributions and life. Posts about creating a memorial. And what I think would be greatest of all posts about urban violence and awareness. Not just stories about heartbreak and sorrow but stories about hope as well. This way JB will have a legacy. Will it be a long-lasting legacy? That depends on the involvement in the forum, but in the worst case scenario where involvement is minimal. The sub-forum will at least recognize JB and an important forum need not be heavily trafficked, for example Wired New York Website and Forum Issues sub-forums aren’t heavily trafficked, but are important nevertheless. JB deserves as much.

Thoughts?

BrooklynRider
April 10th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I like the idea of the memorial forum on violence. It would let us create a focus on issue of city violence. I also like doing something on WNY itself. This is a defining moment for the forum and I am 100% behind us having something of meaning within our forum community. Great ideas Stern.

Edward
April 11th, 2006, 12:28 AM
I was thinking about the virtual world of this forum and it's relation to the real world and the intersection of both worlds that happened. We cannot bring back to life TLOZ in the real world, but perhaps we can do it in virtual.

In Russian literature there were cases of collaboration of several writers that were writing under a name of a fictional author. TLOZ can keep posting in the virtual world of this forum with the help of some select members.

We could have 3 members working together and making posts that would reflect the spirit of JB. Perhaps we can use username TLOZ Link6 - as the next incarnation.

Edward
April 11th, 2006, 01:24 AM
I have created a page on Wired New York, at wirednewyork.com/jb (http://www.wirednewyork.com/jb/), in order to organize and simplify access to, different discussions going on on this forum.

ryan
April 11th, 2006, 01:36 AM
Thanks Edward - that's really nice.

BrooklynRider
April 12th, 2006, 03:25 PM
JB Hehman Memorial Project Details

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=92503&postcount=38

londonlawyer
April 13th, 2006, 06:34 PM
This is sad news. JB seemed like quite a good guy.

MrSpice
April 13th, 2006, 06:53 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/406851p-344320c.html

This is so tragic. I saw this on the news and could not imagine this had anything to do with this forum. I hope these animals that attacked him get as much as the law allows.

macreator
April 14th, 2006, 01:07 PM
I don't know what to say. I feel such strange emotions about TLOZ's death. Perhaps the most prominent one is simple shock.

The idea that someone, whose intelligent and insightful comments I've been reading for the past year and a half, is gone from this world is so strange in my mind.

What makes it strange for me is how up until just over ten days ago he was posting on this website. Up until so recently he was alive.

TLOZ's death makes me more, as cliche as it may sound, concious of our own mortality.

The idea that one can just be walking down a City street one day and end up dead is something we tend to associate with the 70's and the 80's. So when it happens in 2006 I for one get totally and utterly surprised.

TLOZ, what really gets me is the idea that our society will not have someone as intelligent, compassionate (your last action was giving money to the needy) and just plain nice as you to lead us in this century.

I have no doubt you would have further grown into a successful man backed by strong morals once you finished college.

After shock, and then sadness, my next emotion upon hearing the news of TLOZ's death was anger. And I have to admit that I still feel it somewhat. The idea that a gang of teenagers could take the life of such a smart upstanding guy for the goal of stealing some pocket change is just madness. And while people will say, "they're just kids" or "they didn't really kill him", I say to them that at 14 you definitely know right from wrong. And if not, then their parents should be held criminally responsible.

What angers me is that these kids are ignorant of what a bright flame they extinguished from this world.

I am glad to see our garden memorial moving forward -- I'll be sure to donate today.

TLOZ, you'll always be in my thoughts.

lofter1
April 16th, 2006, 11:19 PM
A LINK (http://zelda.rpgplanet.gamespy.com/9artwork.shtml) to a "The Legend of Zelda" site

This is Link [5] ...

http://zelda.rpgplanet.gamespy.com/games_mainseries/zelda9/artwork/link3.jpg

lofter1
April 16th, 2006, 11:25 PM
An eBay seller from Viet Nam has a black TLOZ t-shirt (with Link on the back) up for BID (http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Legend-of-ZELDA-Black-T-Shirt-Size-M_W0QQitemZ7608888961QQcategoryZ124215QQtcZphotoQQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) (no relation -- just coincidence) ;)

The Legend of ZELDA Black T-Shirt Size M

http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/68/68185/zok-zak3nov-zelda02.jpg

lofter1
April 16th, 2006, 11:50 PM
From " A_HERO'S AWAKENING (http://www.zeldauniverse.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=59&page=1&sort=da) "

Summoned by Zelda's telepathic powers Link goes in search of the imprisoned princess ...

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/gallery/albums/comics/alttp/chapter1/normal_6b.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

Link hopes to free not only Zelda but all the people of Hyrule from the forces of the evil Agahnim ...

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/gallery/albums/comics/alttp/chapter1/normal_12b.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

Even after the powerful Agahnim re-captures Zelda and takes her away Link does not give up ...

http://www.zeldauniverse.net/gallery/albums/comics/alttp/chapter1/normal_18b.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:;)

BrooklynRider
April 17th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Thanks Lofter1 for bringing us a little closer into JB's wonderful world.

J.B.'s father and sister remain in mourning and have made no comments, to the best of our knowledge, on this project. Please know it will be planned and executed with the utmost dignity and with a great sensitivity to the family. However, I am sharing this snip from an email I received today.

"I am not a member of Wired New York Forum, but as a member of JB's family, I want to support your wonderful effort in memory of this wonderful young man. I thank all the members of the Forum who have been contributing with their kind thoughts, memories, and love for JB. I have contributed anonymously."

We must succeed my friends and we must continue to urge our friends, families and fellow forum members to support our efforts financially. We need to meet our $5000 goal! Please read the "JB Memorial Project Going Forward" thread.

PLEASE MAKE A DONATION AND PUSH US OVER THE $2000 MARK!

Please contribute today! All donations are tax-deductible.

Please click on the link below and follow these basic instructions:

https://www.nyrp.org/joingive.php?action=donate

1) Choose "Make a donation"
2) Select your amount.
3) Continue and enter your personal information.
4) When you get to the credit card page, please enter in the "COMMENTS" area: Restricted to JB Hehman Project
5) Please, for purposes of our own WiredNewYork acknowledgements, send an email to HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com. Let us know how much you contributed (so I can continue to report a running total for our community) and, if you are inclined, provide us with your WiredNewYork Username. All information will be kept confidential.

Thank you all in advance for your generosity and your help. Let's show the power and commitment of our community. Please visit the "JB Memorial Moving Forward" thread for tally updates.

BrooklynRider
April 20th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Robert -- I sent you an email earlier. It might be helpful if you read that first.

Below is something you are free to use anyway you wish. There has been so much about "hate crime," and the far right is beating the drum. JB wouldn't have wanted that, as I am sure you know. So, if you can use what I wrote below to help put things in a better context, either one on one or on the Forum, please do so.

What those young people did not only ended up with the death of this wonderful young man but also devastated his family and so many of us who loved him, as well as their own families. What a senseless waste all round.
We hate the crime, and we are staggering under the shock and grief of it, the loss of JB. But he himself would not want this flared up into something it isn't. He was an intelligent, caring young man, who was strong in his faith and had so much compassion and understanding. He believed in forgiveness. So do we, even though, right now, that is not easy. But JB would want us to work on that, and we will.
-- a family member

Schadenfrau
April 20th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Thank you to whichever member of JB's family made that statement. It must be so difficult to piece any words together at all right now, much less say something so poignant and moving.

lofter1
April 20th, 2006, 10:11 PM
BR & I had a terrific meeting with Susan Madden, Brian Sahd and [WCB] of NYRP today. They are quite enthusiastic about our plans to create a beautiful and meaningful memorial for JB. Some details are still being worked out --so it will still be a few days before we publish the full scope. But for the interested visitors to our forum: please be assured that everything is moving in the right direction.

Planting Day at "Maggie's Garden" (http://www.nyrp.org/nygt_maggiesgarden.htm) is set for Saturday May 13 from 10 AM - 12 Noon.

Planting VOLUNTEERS needed and WELCOME!!

Please join the wirednewyork community on that day and help us begin our efforts to keep JB's spirit -- and his love for NYC -- alive.

More up-dates will follow.

BrooklynRider
April 22nd, 2006, 07:44 PM
I am having a unique and very inspiring experience with our project team. One of the tasks that has been undertaken by a group of people from, literally around this country and the world, is sorting through and finding what can probably be referred to as the best of J.B. "TLOZ Link5" Hehman posts. As this is the public "Remembering JB" thread, I just need to state here how incredibly moved I have been reviewing those posts pulled by our team. As we all work on this and read and reread his posts, it is so apparent that we have lost a truly inspiring man.

Working on our project, we initially reacted to the loss of one of our most prolific posters. Having this project focus on the substance of those posts has made this loss something that I personally grieve all the more. I spoke about him today at a workshop and there was a lot of emotion. There were tears of sadness in my words and the cleansing tears of truth. We have really lost a great, great guy. I hope our final "best of TLOZ" will find a permanent memorial placement for th future of this site, so everyone can enjoy his words.

therising
April 25th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Having moved away from NYC several years ago, I am an infrequent visitor to this site. I suppose I'd be labeled a lurker.

Over the past two nights, I have been reading the sad story of JB's death. Having not known him, I feel such an odd sadness from it.

He was obviously an incredibly intelligent, articulate, and, most importantly, well-respected young man.

The compassion you have all shown is remarkable, and makes me, once again, proud to have spent the first 35 years of my life in NYC.

I do hope that, when the time is right, his family will be able to read these posts, and take solace in the fact that they raised such an upstanding young man.

Merry
May 5th, 2006, 09:18 AM
I just found this. I did check, but apologies if I missed it being posted already.

It provides a poignant insight into JB's early years from someone close to him.

http://liberalserving.typepad.com/liberalserving/2006/04/_on_april_1_200.html

Broderick John Hehman (JB, but i knew him as BJ) was one of the brighest and finest people I knew. I spent almost every moment with him from the age of 4 until 9...we were both in special education on the Upper West Side of Manhattan with serious emotional difficulties. I mainstreamed into another school after my 3rd grade year but JB stayed on through HS...he worked EXTREMELY hard to overcome his emotional struggles, as i did, and to see him go down like this, so soon after he was on the right track in leading a wonderful life, is extremely difficult for me. I spent a lot of time with his family over the past week and i don't know if any of you know, but BJ lost his mother in October so this family has gone through a lot...

I could care less how the POST displayed this tragedy...I hate the POST but those kids who did this deserve judgement. People keep reminding me that these were "individuals" in the Harlem community but my anger is so great that I see all of them as the same right now. If anything, I will take my revenge in Broderick John's name in another way other then killing one of those racist bastard children. BJ wasn't a racist...he was the least racist person that I knew. He ONLY cared about the public interest and always put the world ahead of his own desires. I wish the people that destroyed him knew that, felt that...i know it.

BJ, your life vision will live on with me.

Posted by: Jonas Borra (JB's Best Friend from Childhood) | April 23, 2006 at 08:45 PM

BrooklynRider
May 5th, 2006, 10:22 AM
How sad. I can understand the feel for vengeance a person might have, but hopefully that will subside. The news bears out that this wasn't a racially motivated attack, but it was senseless and people are going to try to attached some sense to it - even it it means assuming it was done for reasons unproven.

It is so interesting to get insight on JB's earlier life. His life may have been short, but it certainly was full. Thanks for sharing that. I'm all the more glad that we are going forward with a memorial. So people like that poster and JB's family know no one is forgetting him.

Fabrizio
May 5th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Merry thanks for posting it.... this adds a new light on JB... making him even more special and this whole thing ...even sadder.

mrbubs
May 6th, 2006, 09:21 PM
that's something jonas would say.