PDA

View Full Version : JB Memorial Moving Forward

BrooklynRider
April 10th, 2006, 05:24 PM
Friends, please read and, most importantly, respond!

Shadenfrau and I have been moving behind the scenes to find a unique way to memorialize J.B. Hehman (aka TLOZ Link5), who many of us have now read was killed when he was hit by a car while being chased by a group of teens in Harlem. We want this memorial to celebrate his life, his love of New York and his spirit of compassion. This afternoon I spoke to a representative from The New Your Restoration Project. You can view their website here:

http://www.nyrp.org/nygt_gardenlocator.htm

I had a very productive discussion with them and they are interested in working with us to create a fitting memorial to JB, hopefully right in East Harlem where he was tragically killed. I will be reconvening with the representative in a couple of days as they review the options for WiredNewYork members and people who loved JB and have found this thread and forum. I proposed that we work with the New York Restoration Project to restore / beautify / clean-up one of the many community gardens that exist in this city. It would be a strong statement to bring a beautiful park setting to the neighborhood and, particularly the children and families, of the neighborhood where JB lost his life.

We have definite opportunities to work with them in the Bronx and Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn, but I think I impressed on the gentleman how strongly JB advocated for development and investment in the poorest parts of the city - especially Upper Manhattan. I asked specifically for a project in the neighborhood where he passed and we might well have an opportunity.

We discussed ideas that centered on cleaning up an existing park, bringing new plantings into the garden and planting a tree in JB's memory with a plaque below commemorating is life. Think of it as JBs garden - a gift of love and life in the community to show people that a good heart and compassion do get rewarded.

A number of logistical questions came up that forum members must help us with immediately...

First off, we all enjoy anonymity in this on-line community. I recognize that some of us might want to retain that anonymity (Like me, who has annoyed everyone on here at one time or another). I am proposing to pre-print name tags of the biggest celebrities and socialites. People can show up and decide on the spot who you will be - no one need to loss their anonymity - but no one need lose out on this opportunity for fear of losing it either.

If we were to put together a clean-up, planting, and plaque dedication ceremony (likely all in one day), I need to know who at this point believes they will join us and how many people would join you. We are shooting for a May / early June date. Please be conservative in your estimates as we would rather over shoot our attendance estimate that fail to produce the number of workers we need to participate. We will make this day a celebration of JBs life, so please do not underestimate your value if you feel that gardening and labor are not your thing. Support and spirit are ultimately what this is about - your energy will propel those with the strength and skills forward.

I spoke with The New York Restoration project about setting up a dedicated fund for this project under the auspices of The New York Restoration Project. It would likely work that we would make checks or on-line payments payable to The New York Restoration Project and note in the subject line "JB Hehman Memorial Fund."

So, here is what I need ASAP from forum members and any family, friends and fans of JB (TLOZ). Please respond in this thread if you believe you can be a part of the actually restoration - specifically to volunteer for the day or part of the day. Naturally, we would have an appropriate dedication to JB at day's end. The actual date will be announced at a later date. This is volunteering based on what you know at this point about the project. I am sure availability will change as dates are announced.

The second part is about funding our project. In the interest of not putting anyone on the spot, I have created a hotmail account to solicit initial pledges. This account will be monitored by Shadenfrau, Lofter1, Stern and myself. The email address is HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com. Please put your forum user name in the subject line along with the dollar amount you contribute. We will not collect funds through any members, but will utilize The New York Restoration Project to allow contributions to be funneled to the project and be tax-deductible. Please check with your employers to see if they offer matching contributions.

Please note that I have directed The New York Restoration Project to this forum as they were very intrigued with the community we have created here. They will be reading both our posts about JB and JB's (TLOZ Link5) posts about New York to better understand us and him. I have created a separated thread in Forum Issues for you to address messages to them as we develop this project.

It seems there is a certain critical mass we are reaching in this on-line community as we see whether forums such as this do have the power to make a difference in our world.

Thank you all for your participation and responses.

Schadenfrau
April 10th, 2006, 05:41 PM
This is fantastic, BrooklynRider. Excellent work on your part.

I'll definitely volunteer for the labor.

I just got off the phone with my boyfriend, and he'd like to build a bench, or whatever else is needed, for the park, if that's okay.

Fabrizio
April 10th, 2006, 05:51 PM
Brooklyn: Unfortunately I will not be able to help with labour, but will be happy to make a donation to the fund. Keep us posted. I will be in the US in August and look forward to seeing the results of the project.

fioco
April 10th, 2006, 05:55 PM
I'm sending a PM to BrooklynRider, but I will do what I can to assist. I haven't been on the board for several days; I am very pleased that folks care enough to do background work and thus create an opportunity so that we all can participate. Your efforts are greatly appreciated, they truly honor JB.

ryan
April 10th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Brooklyn- thanks so much for doing all this legwork. I'd be happy to help in any way I can. I'm a bit unclear on what the funding is for, though - is it just for the clean up & plantings for the garden?

BrooklynRider
April 10th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Actually, that is just me assuming that new plants, shrubs, and a tree that is more than a stick with two branches will cost money. I think we would all like to see a lasting brass or other weather appropriate marker place in JB's honor as well. It all costs money and I believe that degree to which we can contribute both financially and with labor to this project will determine the scope of what we can do. New York Restoration Project has not asked for funding - we are offering it. A clean-up is all labor but presenting a gift to the community will cost some more. I think we should try to provide this project with support on all fronts. This is New York and nothing is cheap (let alone free).

But, point taken, Ryan. I think this offers members living outside the city a way to spur us on to do it right. Also, my vision is to really make this a labor of love / celebration of life. I plan on working hard. It would nice for us to provide cold beverages and snacks to volunteers. Again, this is my presumption and perhaps my singular vision. NY Restoration Project has made no request at this point.

ryan
April 10th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Is there a financial threshhold that needs to be met to have the garden renamed? In fundraising it always helps to have a goal.

JCMAN320
April 10th, 2006, 06:58 PM
You got Jersey here to help as well. I will do whatever I can to help all anybody needs to do is ask. I will do whatever is in my capability to help. I will help with the garden as well since I don't live far at all. I also have asked BKRider what I can do. So you have me to call on. It will be an honor and a privilage to help and participate in the spirit of JB's life.

lofter1
April 10th, 2006, 07:15 PM
BR - NYRP is a great organization and the perfect conduit for JB's Memorial.

Count me in for a donation -- I'll send you a PM with more info.

I agree that a "Target Goal" stating an amount would be helpful.

lofter1
April 10th, 2006, 07:47 PM
BR -- Thanks again for taking the lead on this -- kudos, too, to Schadenfrau.

Like I said: NYRP is perfect (I've been a supporter of them for a while).

Count me in for starters at $100 ...

I could adjust that once I get further news of the needs of the Memorial from NYRP.

BrooklynRider
April 10th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Is there a financial threshhold that needs to be met to have the garden renamed? In fundraising it always helps to have a goal.

Generally speaking, renaming options have a cost beyond what we can raise. The Family Garden was restored and renamed by Tiffany & Co. with a price tag of $250,000. We can shoot for the moon, but a renaming option is not a realistic goal our pool of donors.

NewYorkYankee
April 10th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Id like to make a donation for this project.

BPC
April 10th, 2006, 10:19 PM
I'm not really a gardener, but I would be happy to donate. What a completely senseless tragedy. If we are going to do this, shouldn't the garden be named after JB?

ZippyTheChimp
April 10th, 2006, 10:53 PM
This is a great idea. Good work, BR and Shadenfrau.
Count on my donation.

Merry
April 11th, 2006, 08:11 AM
Bravo, Brooklynrider and Shadenfrau, for your selfless and excellent groundwork to get the ball rolling.

I wish I could fly over from Oz to help with labour, but you can certainly count on my donation.

Ninjahedge
April 11th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Let me know where and when. I may be able to help with the cleanup.

Also, donation location (mailing addy, etc) would be handy.

BrooklynRider
April 11th, 2006, 11:30 AM
The project location will be at

Maggie's Garden, 149th Street and Broadway

Tax deuctible contributions can be made at The New York Restoration Project website: www.nyrp.org

Please enter "Restricted to JB Hehman Memorial Project" in the "comments" section on the credit card page.

Credit card donations can also be made by fax at 212-333-3886. Donations can also be sent via mail to the address listed below (please note restricted to Hehman Memorial on your check).

New York Restoration Project
254 West 31st Street,
10th Floor
New York, NY 10001

We ask that anyone contributing please send the WiredNewYork Project Team and email to HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com so we can keep a running tally of contributions and send out WiredNewYork acknowledgements.

THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED TO REFLECT THE LATEST PROJECT INFO FOR GUESTS TO THIS THREAD. THE ORIGINAL SITE FOR THE PROJECT WAS THE FAMILY GARDEN ON 114TH STREET. MAGGIE'S GARDEN BETTER SUITS OUR PROJECT GOALS AT THIS TIME.

NoyokA
April 11th, 2006, 01:46 PM
So far we have the following commitments; I don’t want to force anybody to do anything, but I would like to hold everyone to remembering a great young man. I also want to make clear that everything helps, $10 helps (don't feel obliged to donate $100 if you cannot afford $100), an hour of work (if you have school or work before or after the day we decided to build), or upkeep through the year if you cannot make it. I am posting this here so people do not forget their commitment to JB. Without a community commitment nothing will happen to remember him, as is the nature of an online community we’re still in danger of losing support as we go about our everyday lives, and the danger of the entire project falling apart. I am trusting Brooklyn (Rob) with the administration, I’ll do my part to gathering everybody together. If you want to be added to the list, change your commitment, or if you would like to be removed please tell either Brooklyn or myself.

Labor:

Jasonik

BrooklynRider

Kliq6

Schadenfrau

JCMAN320

Ninjahedge

Stern

Money:

greenie

krulltime

phxmania2001

Brooklyn Rider

Ablarc

Kliq 6

Fabrizio

lofter1

NewYorkYankee

BPC

ZippyTheChimp

Merry

Undecided:

fioco

ryan

kliq6
April 11th, 2006, 02:56 PM
i can donate money and my time, such a sad story

Edward
April 11th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Stern, I am sure there would be much wider support than your list implies once the project takes shape. BR did a great job outlining a list of questions in NYRP thread (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8968) that need to be answered. At this stage the organizational aspect is a priority, with BrooklynRider on the front line. So possibly organizational help to BR, like making calls or contacts, would be appropriate?

BPC
April 11th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Could we also just publish (temporary) sticky links to this thread at the tops of other forums? I don't usually visit the "Forum Issues" thread, and if not for a private message from someone, would have gone on oblivious that TLOZ was gone and who he was and that this whole memorial movement had taken shape. I suspect that others who contribute to the other threads in other forums might be similarly oblivious.

ManhattanKnight
April 11th, 2006, 04:07 PM
In addition to creating a suitable memorial, I suspect that some forum members might be interested in personally monitoring the criminal cases as they move through the court system instead of relying upon whatever is said about them in the tabloids. This would involve visits from time to time to the Criminal Courts building to watch and listen. I would certainly volunteer to be part of that effort. Like the "Central Park jogger" case, to which this has already been compared, the NYPD has apparently obtained video and other "statements" from the juvenile defendants, and we all now know what a travesty that investigation turned out to be (while the actual rapist remained free).

There seem to be more than a few forum participants who live in lower Manhattan or Brooklyn (near the courthouse) who may even have flexible work schedules and could join in such an effort. And no one's experience of NYC can be complete without spending a few hours at least inside 100 Centre Street.

ablarc
April 11th, 2006, 04:07 PM
As mentioned earlier, I'd like to contribute $100.

BrooklynRider
April 11th, 2006, 04:28 PM
I just concluded a productive teleconference with NYU Office of Public Affairs. Understandably, they are honoring the family's request for privacy at this time. That puts some constraints on their ability to help us make this project known to NYU students who might want to help. However, we are pursuing other avenues of communication.

phxmania2001
April 11th, 2006, 04:40 PM
I'll donate some money - can't afford $100, but I could swing $20-30. Depending on when this cleanup happens I'll be down for that too.

Edward
April 11th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Could we also just publish (temporary) sticky links to this thread at the tops of other forums?Good idea, I should have thought about it myself. I have posted a global announcement that appears on top of every forum.

Jasonik
April 11th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I humbly offer my time and labor for this cause. I can offer my design/drafting services if they would help with anything; I don't know what if anything is needed.

R.I.P. TLOZ

JMGarcia
April 11th, 2006, 05:12 PM
I will definitely donate money. :)

BrooklynRider
April 11th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Friends,

NYU's Washington Square News newspaper just called for an interview about this project. I handled this round, however, if anyone else has experience dealing with the press, please contact me. We need more people to assist in communicating why we are doing this and what we hope to accomplish. We need people who are passionate about this, but who also understand that speaking on the record means being very articulate, using ambiguities when necessary and not allowing yourself to be led into saying things that can be misconstrued. Our vision is for this to be a memorial to TLOZ by the entire forum community. We are hopeful that we have opportunities to get more voices and opinions expressed on the record.

If you can help with communications or public relations, please PM me.

So, it looks like this project has gained traction. Thank you all for your input, participation, enthusiasm and willingness to act as a community to make statement in the city!

Tax deuctible contributions can be made at The New York Restoration Project website: www.nyrp.org

Please enter "Restricted to JB Hehman Memorial Project" in the "comments" section on the credit card page.

Credit card donations can also be made by fax at 212-333-3886. Donations can also be sent via mail to the address listed below (please note restricted to Hehman Memorial on your check).

254 West 31st Street,
10th Floor
New York, NY 10001

We ask that anyone contributing please send the WiredNewYork Project Team and email to HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com so we can keep a running tally of contributions and send out WiredNewYork acknowledgements.

THIS POST HAS BEEN EDITED TO REFLECT THE LATEST PROJECT INFO FOR GUESTS TO THIS THREAD. THE ORIGINAL SITE FOR THE PROJECT WAS THE FAMILY GARDEN ON 114TH STREET. MAGGIE'S GARDEN BETTER SUITS OUR PROJECT GOALS AT THIS TIME.

krulltime
April 11th, 2006, 06:59 PM
I also want to donate money for this memorial to our online friend.

lofter1
April 11th, 2006, 07:44 PM
I was just looking over the NYRP website and see that they are involved in some worthy programs (NYRP's Environmental Education and Recreational Programs).

You can read more here: http://www.nyrp.org/nyrpprograms_recreational.htm

BrooklynRider
April 11th, 2006, 08:24 PM
I have to admit I'm on edge to speak with them tomorrow. I have such great expectations for this. There's a voice in me saying, "what are you doing?" and a voive in me saying, "Do not stop. This is right and is going to bigger than anyone can imagine."

Those voices sound like my mother.

krulltime
April 11th, 2006, 08:29 PM
You are doing a very brave thing BrooklynRider. You will be ok. Just be yourself.

I thank you so much for your effort and time on this.

Citytect
April 11th, 2006, 11:31 PM
BrooklynRider, you're amazing.

I'm donating. I'll let you know if I can help with labor when the date is set.

BrooklynRider
April 12th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I just concluded a conversation with our contact at New York Restoration Project (NYRP). They really are an incredible operation and humble to boot. There will be an operation meeting this morning where the project will be discussed. Once again, they have stated their commitment to help us, guide us through the process, establish a tax-deductible account for the project and bring their ample expertise to the project. I want to reiterate a couple of points from the conversation:

1) Although our partnering with NYRP brings our project credibility, guidance and expertise, they are not interested in any publicity from this project and prefer to help guide this as OUR project. Personally, my respect for the organization could not be greater. I am amazed that there are organizations like NYRP in existence, who are so focused on simply doing good for the community without a demand for recognition. (Bravo to them!)

2) They expressed concern about the relation of this project to the arrests and criminal case. I reiterated what I have stated earlier. This project and its volunteers have no comment on the continuing investigation and legal proceedings. This is a something we must all take to heart, so channel your inner Republican and STAY ON MESSAGE. This rule is only for the the memorial project. This project is not about the crime. This project's goal is to celebrate JBs life, compassion and passion for New York City by supporting the Harlem community. We will execute this project and commemorate it in JBs name with the hope that it enhances the lives of the residents. WiredNewYork is all about opinions and they should be expressed freely - just not in the Memorial thread and with a sensitivity to the fact that we can only succeed by committing to this basic project policy. This project can only succeed by being constructive, productive, positive and inclusive. I ask each of you to respect this important operational aspect. I believe we can gain many more supporters moving forward in this smart manner.

3) NYRP has identified the site as Maggie's Garden at 149th Street and Broadway. I expressed our desire to have this in a place central to the community, where it can be enjoyed and utilized. We are prepared to work with NYRP to fully execute a project there.

4) The overall scope of the project is not yet defined in detail. However, we agree in principle that this project will have plantings, a bench, some sort of commemorative plaque and at least one tree planting. I imagine the full scope will be dependent upon space we can secure and the funds we can raise. I hate to beat the money drum. But, as we all follow construction and development projects in depth at WNY, comment regularly on materials, design and execution, we are particularly educated with a heightened awareness that projects can be executed with the highest quality materials and design - or not. As a group, we will determine what we can "develop and build."

I am extremely excited and hopeful that we can work together with NYRP on creating an executable plan. That plan must include your support, fiscal and volunteer. At this time, I would like to ask any forum members interested in being part of a "planning committee" to identify themselves. My sense is that NYRP is an experienced group that can move very quickly, without compromising quality. I do not feel I am necessarily the best person to negotiate or propose designs. I know our anonymity in these forums is cherished and allows us to post freely and without worry of recourse. I only need first names, a phone number and an email (you can set up a hotmail or yahoo account easily). This is a very specific request, so even if I have been in contact with you via PM - please restate whether you can be a part of this committee. I work fulltime, so we will make every attempt to hold any meeting(s) at times convenient to working schedules.

254 West 31st Street,
10th Floor
New York, NY 10001

Schadenfrau
April 12th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Again, excellent work, Rob. You've really thrown your all into this.

BrooklynRider
April 12th, 2006, 01:36 PM
From Washington Square News

News: Campus News
Website working on memorial for CAS junior

April 12, 2006

By Kaveri Marathe and Justin Stoddard
Staff Writers

Working in conjunction with The New York Restoration Project, WiredNewYork.com forum members are trying to establish a memorial in honor of Broderick John “JB” Hehman, the NYU student who was killed last week after he allegedly ran away from muggers onto 125th Street and was struck by a car.

The project aims to build a new park or garden, or rejuvenate an old one in Hehman’s name, preferably in Harlem, an area that Hehman liked and spent much of his time in, WiredNewYorkmanager Edward Sudentas said. The group, which is an online forum about real estate and property in New York, is also looking in other boroughs, like Brooklyn and the Bronx, he said.

“He had compassion to the people and to New York City and we want to continue that and express this love for the city through the memorial and help make New York City a better place,” Sudentas said. “That’s what he would like.”

A forum member and one of the memorial’s lead organizers, said Hehman was a frequent WiredNewYork poster and passionate about New York. He said Hehman joined the forum in November of 2002 and made more than 3,300 posts under the username “TLOZ Link5.”

“He was talking to us about intelligent ideas for the improvement of neighborhoods in the city,” he said. “We were all shocked when we found out that he was a 20 year old.”

He said forum members have reached out to the New York Restoration Project, a nonprofit organization founded in 1995, to rejuvenate and restore the city’s parks and green spaces. The group hopes to get fellow forum members together to clean up the chosen park or garden, he said.

Since the site functions under anonymity, he said there was a possibility of using celebrity name tags at the event.

“We’re doing this because of the essence and spirit of who JB was,” he said. “We’re not looking for anybody’s endorsement.”

He said that, though the project is still in a preliminary stage of development, the group hopes to complete the project in late May or early June. The large outpouring of interest should help the project get off the ground, he said.

“It’s interesting that the virtual community is transcending into a real community,” he said.

The memorial commemorates Hehman’s passion for New York City, which is visible in some of his many posts, Sudentas said.

“Olmstead designed Prospect Park in an attempt to correct the ‘mistakes’ of Central Park,” Hehman wrote in a post dated Nov. 20, 2005. “I’ve only been there three times and I’ve always enjoyed it.”

Though the Wired members only knew Hehman through his online persona, he was well known and well liked, Sudentas said.

“Everyone seems to agree he was very gentle, very agreeable and very respectful,” he said.

Sudentas said Hehman’s numerous posts are still available on the site.

“People can still participate in the discussion,” he said.

Hehman’s best friend, Paco Secada, wrote on Hehman’s Facebook profile that he is also planning a two-part rememberance ceremony for Hehman set for April 14 beginning with a lunch at a restuaranet where Secada said he and Hehman frequented together, friends will then remember Hehman with drinks at an uptown bar from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m., and a boat lighting ceremony on the Hudson River.

“We wanted everyone to come with us,” Secada wrote in the e-mail. “Now that he’s gone, I want for people to participate at least once in honor of him.”

BrooklynRider
April 12th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Mr. Brian Sahd and his staff at New York Restoration Project have come through beautifully for us. At this point, these are the details of the project.

Date: At this point, we focused on a project date of Saturday, May 13th. This will let us memorialize TLOZ (JB) by Mother's Day, which would be poignant as him mom passed away last fall.

Garden Name: Maggie's Garden.

Team Needed: 10-30 Volunteers (We might break this into shifts to give everyone an opportunity to work if we have an overwhelming response.) I will have definitive times following our meeting next week with NYRP. Please save the date.

Activity: Last year The New York Restoration Project restored the garden. Our project will entail planting perennials and whatever other additiobal actions our funding can make happen. I'd like to see us enhance the garden. Trees. Benches. I am not familiar with the garden, so I can't comment further.

Next Step: Brian Sahd would like to meet with representatives from our group at 6:00PM next Thursday, April 20th, at the office of The New York Restoration Project at 254 West 31st Street, 10th Floor.

Please contribute today! All donations are tax-deductible.

Please click on the link below and follow these basic instructions:

https://www.nyrp.org/joingive.php?action=donate

1) Choose "Make a donation"
2) Select your amount.
3) Continue and enter your personal information.
4) When you get to the credit card page, please enter in the "COMMENTS" area: Restricted to JB Hehman Project
5) Please, for purposes of our own WiredNewYork acknowledgements, send an email to HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com. Let us know how much you contributed (so I can continue to report a running total for our community) and, if you are inclined, provide us with your WiredNewYork Username. All information will be kept confidential.

Note: All people who sent an email to the HehmanMemorialFund email address will receive an email. Those initial emails will be deleted so we can begin tallying actual donations.

Thank you all in advance for your generosity and your help. Let's show the power and commitment of our community. Please post any project related details, questions or statements in this thread.

lofter1
April 12th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Thanks again, BR!

I just made my donation -- 5 minutes and it was done -- easy as pie.

I encourage others to give what they can.

Here is some info on "The Family Garden" from the NYRP website (http://www.nyrp.org/nygt_familygarden.htm) :

Family Garden

http://www.nyrp.org/images/nygt/familygarden1.gif

Address:
431 East 114th Street
New York, NY 10029
Map (http://www.oasisnyc.net/OASISmap.asp?Garden=767&Action=Map+this+Garden&Address=&AddrBoro=Select+Borough&BLOCK=&LOT=&BBLBoro=Select+Borough&ZIP=&Neighborhood=Select&CD=Select&Boro=Bronx&name=OASISMap&SearchPage=CENYC&LOTS=on&GARDENS=on&GARDENS_PNT=on&GARDENS_LABELS=on&STREAMS=on&METRO_REGION_PLACE=on&STREETS=on&TRN=on&BRIDGES=on&NYC_ST_LABELS=on&PARKS=on&PLAYGROUNDS=on&STREETGREEN=on)

http://www.nyrp.org/slideshow_1/photos/1.jpg

http://www.nyrp.org/slideshow_1/photos/3.jpg

http://www.nyrp.org/slideshow_1/photos/4.jpg

Description:

The Family Garden is a single-lot open space on East 114th Street. At one time, the garden was an active site for the local YMCA-associated Boys Club but has more recently been used as a quiet, sitting garden for the neighborhood's elderly residents and a secure space to supervise small children.

In 2003, the space received a $250,000 restoration and endowment grant from The Tiffany & Co. Foundation. The Family Garden's location directly facing Thomas Jefferson Park inspired Tiffany & Co. Design Director John Loring to weave historical references into his new design for the garden. "With a nickel in your pocket, you carry images of Thomas Jefferson and Monticello around with you everyday," says Loring, whose wrought-iron, Colonial-era gate design features chinoiserie-style fretwork and other period details.

http://www.nyrp.org/images/nygt/familygarden2.gif

http://www.nyrp.org/slideshow_1/photos/2.jpg

On visits to prune trees and study the garden, Loring noticed the space's beloved but broken, Chippendale-style tea table and chairs (another Colonial-era reference). His sturdy new iron versions feature Jefferson's silhouette, which is also echoed in a garden bed with the cut-metal figure of Jefferson inspired by the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C. Other Colonial-era garden features include bluestone flagstones, traditional arbor, and brick planters with wide, comfortable limestone caps, all making The Family Garden an even more restful "quiet spot" in this busy and changing corner of East Harlem.

NYRP celebrated the opening of the restored Family Garden, and its neighbor Rodale Pleasant Park Community Garden, at the Fourth Annual Spring Picnic (http://www.nyrp.org/bettesclub_events.htm), held June 14, 2005.

Read a Letter from John Loring of Tiffany & Co. to NYRP (pdf) (http://www.nyrp.org/pdf/loring_letter.pdf)

The restoration of this garden was made possible by a generous grant from The Tiffany & Co. Foundation.

BrooklynRider
April 12th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Contributions Received (as noted to HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com)

10 Contributions Received as of 4/13/06 at 9:23AM
Total To Date: $800

This tally count will freeze here. Please see post #112 for updates.

2) Select your amount.
4) When you get to the credit card page, please enter in the "COMMENTS" area: Restricted to JB Hehman Project
5) Please, for purposes of our own WiredNewYork acknowledgements, send an email to HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com. Let us know how much you contributed (so I can continue to report a running total for our community) and, if you are inclined, provide us with your WiredNewYork Username. All information will be kept confidential.

NoyokA
April 12th, 2006, 03:49 PM
I dont want to derail the project at all but is it me or does it look like the Family Garden is an already completed project? I was under the impression that we would be restoring an empty lot, which there is no shortage of in Harlem...

lofter1
April 12th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Corrected LINK (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.794224,+-73.934823+(Family+Garden)&t=k&ll=40.794383,-73.934813&spn=0.00705,0.021286) to Google Map showing site of "The Family Garden"

lofter1
April 12th, 2006, 03:55 PM
I dont want to derail the project at all but is it me or does it look like the Family Garden is an already completed project? I was under the impression that we would be restoring an empty lot, which there is no shortage of in Harlem...
As shown on the NYRP website (posted above) to renovate an entire lot costs a lot of money -- in the case of the Family Garden it started with $250,000. So unless there are some really deep pockets among us it seems that trees / benches in memory of JB in an already established garden is a great way to go.

NoyokA
April 12th, 2006, 04:02 PM
As shown on the NYRP website (posted above) to renovate an entire lot costs a lot of money -- in the case of the Family Garden it started with $250,000. So unless there are some really deep pockets among us it seems that trees / benches in memory of JB in an already established garden is a great way to go.

Ok. Thanks. Point taken, I didn't know that was the case, and thats unfortunate. With the money being donated perhaps we can have hire a mural artist...

Edward
April 12th, 2006, 04:08 PM
LINK (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=431+E.+114th+Street+new+york,+ny&t=h&ll=40.794863,-73.936497&spn=0.003525,0.010643) to Google Map showing site of "The Family Garden"The address shows wrong location for the garden. Follow the links for either Google Local or Windows Live maps from the Family Garden page on WNY (http://wirednewyork.com/jb/garden.htm).

BrooklynRider
April 12th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I am not familiar with the area. Do we have any Harlem residents that might be able to confirm the location? When Brian Sahd explained to me where it was we were both trying to cover alot of information in a limited period of time. It is possible that he was off by a block.

Also, I think Lofter1's observation is correct as to why we are being directed to a renovated garden. I suggest we trust NYRP and their expertise.

I don't know how you all feel about this, but I would like input. We certainly must have J.B.'s birth name in or on what ever memorial we choose to place there. I also wanted to make a point of commemoratibg him as "TLOZ Link5" of the WiredNewYork.com community. Any thoughts?

lofter1
April 12th, 2006, 04:23 PM
The address shows wrong location for the garden.
Thanks, Edward.

I've corrected the LINK (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=40.794224,+-73.934823+(Family+Garden)&t=k&ll=40.794383,-73.934813&spn=0.00705,0.021286) to Google Maps showing theright location.

lofter1
April 12th, 2006, 04:34 PM
... I am quite pleased that JB will be remembered in this location. It looks beautiful, peaceful and exactly like the kind of place he would advocate for ...

... We certainly must have J.B.'s birth name in or on what ever memorial we choose to place there. I also wanted to make a point of commemoratibg him as "TLOZ Link5" of the WiredNewYork.com community.
I agree about JB's name, birthdate and his wny tag name being included.

Perhaps there is a phrase or quote from one of JB's posts that someone might have found that encapsulates some of his ideas -- and which could be included on a plaque (or whatever).

I'm not sure what kind of restrictions there might be within the garden regarding plantings, if any, but the rear part of the garden seems to needa tree or two.

I also see from the NYRP website that they PARTNER (http://www.nyrp.org/americorps.htm) with AmeriCorps, so if additional funds remain after the JB's memorial installation is complete then perhaps the excess could be earmarked to go to AmeriCorps. From the NYRP website:

AmeriCorps seeks to improve communities by helping them solve problems in such areas as education, public safety and the environment. In addition to meeting local needs through service, AmeriCorps members help strengthen communities by bringing together a wide range of community partners to plan and implement programs. In many cases, these types of co-operations mark the first time that government leaders, local businesses, non-profit organizations and citizens of all backgrounds join together to address pressing concerns.

http://www.nyrp.org/images/americorps/americorps.3.jpg

NYatKNIGHT
April 12th, 2006, 04:53 PM
I just made my donation too. I'm thankful that there is a way to express our support and very much appreciate BrooklynRider's and everyone else's effort. It is a very touching gesture. I unfortunately won't be able to help out on May 13, but if there is upkeep to be done I'd be more than willing to help out.

lofter1
April 12th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Please remember that after you send in your DONATION (https://www.nyrp.org/joingive.php?action=donate) to JB's Fund at NYRP ...

Send an email stating your tag name and the amount of your donation to: HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com (HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com)

Schadenfrau
April 12th, 2006, 04:56 PM
The family garden is just around the corner from Rao's. You can see it on the left-hand side of the photo on this thread:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4702&highlight=rao%27s

lofter1
April 12th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Thanks, Schadenfrau ...

114th St. & Pleasant Ave. with the Family Garden at the left:

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/images/realestate/05/04/realestate050425_1_400.jpg

BrooklynRider
April 12th, 2006, 05:03 PM
A note from Brian Sahd of NYRP:

We are very happy to be a part of this project to honor the memory of JB Hehman.

I would like to clarify several of the points you [BrooklynRider] made in the [previous] posting[s].

Naming rights or options are not available for the Family Garden. Last year the garden received a generous donation from Tiffany & Co. for capital improvements. As I mentioned to you over the phone, the project would entail replanting flower beds with perennial flowers. No other major improvements are required. Finally, your donations can purchase a bench in JB’s honor and/or we can plant a tree in his memory. (The tree would be planted at another location, since all of the permanent plantings, other than the perennials, already have been installed). Your donations could also pay for the perennial plants. Please see our website for more information about dedicating a bench or planting a mature flowering tree on our web site. Here is the link:

https://www.nyrp.org/joingive.php?action=donate.

It seems we could do quite a bit with substantial donations. I would have to believe that they are directing us to this garden to ensure that we can execute something meaningful and something that would make us proud to leave in JB's name.

I remain extremely hopeful that we surpass the pledge total of $995 and meet that number many times over. The more we raise the more we can do. I am sure we can plant trees in JBs honor all over Harlem and upper Manhattan with the right funds. Please consider being a part of this. Whether you contribute $10, $50, $100, or $1000, we are stamping JBs name on the kinds of improvements we all continuously advocate for in these forums.

I do not see why we cannot raise the funding to pay for the perennial plantings, a flowering tree and a dedicated bench in this garden AND have funding remaining to do the same in another. We have a huge community of members and a substantial community of active posters. In addition, I hope we can introduce our project to our work colleagues and relatives. Small donations add up quickly and large ones bump us up considerably. I would hope that we are committed to backing up our words and desires with money and effort. Again, I think we have an opportunity to make a huge statement, both about JB and about what kind of world we want to live in.

"You must be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Comelade
April 12th, 2006, 05:36 PM
the Family Garden With Local Live Windows

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5379/familygarden58uq.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6280/familygarden44lk.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5452/familygarden31vy.jpg

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7510/familygarden21fg.jpg

http://img425.imageshack.us/img425/2338/familygarden13uh.jpg

BrooklynRider
April 12th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Is there any way to overlay an outline on those photos to show the location. I'm not finding what we are supposed to be focusing on.

Jasonik
April 12th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I'm getting a graphics package together now (park map included). Will post it here shortly.

lofter1
April 12th, 2006, 07:03 PM
This is where I think we're talking about \/ (Rao's is to the right)

Edward
April 12th, 2006, 07:31 PM
This is where I think we're talking about \/ (Rao's is to the right)No. See Windows Local Live Map (http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=40.794383%7E-73.934286&style=o&lvl=2&scene=1454386&sp=an.40.794224_-73.934823_Family%20Garden).

BrooklynRider
April 12th, 2006, 07:34 PM
I'm getting a graphics package together now (park map included). Will post it here shortly.

I need to publicly thank you for this. Friends, we took Jasonik up on his offer to help us out with graphic design and are grateful he stepped up without hesitation. (Jasonik, please check your PM.)

I'd also like to post a public thank you to www.NYUnews.com. They have been extremely supportive of this project and we just concluded a follow-up interview to the one posted earlier in this thread. Because this is a public forum, I invited them to read through our JB/TLOZ remembrances and memorial posts and use whichever ones they feel are useful. If you are interested in sharing your thoughts on this project with them, please email news@nyunews.com and address your message to Justin Stoddard and Kaveri Marathe.

Thanks to Schadenfrau who has stepped up to meet NYRP with me next Thursday at 6:00PM (anyone else want to join us?) and Lofter1 who is working with us to work with us and NYRP on the scope of the project. We are so grateful to NYRP and are hoping to tweak the project just a little to fully realize the Memorial we envisioned. Thank you Stern for herding us in the direction of a memorial from the get-go with your hearfelt posts. And, of course, Edward without whom this little slice of virtuality would never exist. More as it develops.

Thank you to our financial contributors, this project goes no where without your funding! In the meantime, here once again are the Project details as we now have it laid out....

Date: At this point, we focused on a project date of Saturday, May 13th. This will let us memorialize TLOZ (JB) by Mother's Day, which would be poignant as him mom passed away last fall.

Team Needed: 10-30 Volunteers (We might break this into shifts to give everyone an opportunity to work if we have an overwhelming response.) I will have definitive times following our meeting next week with NYRP. Please save the date.

Activity: Last year The New York Restoration Project restored the garden. Our project will entail planting perennials and whatever other additiobal actions our funding can make happen. I'd like to see us enhance the garden. Trees. Benches. I am not familiar with the garden, so I can't comment further.

Next Step: Brian Sahd would like to meet with representatives from our group at 6:00PM next Thursday, April 20th, at the office of The New York Restoration Project at 254 West 31st Street, 10th Floor.

2) Select your amount.

Note: All people who sent an email to the HehmanMemorialFund email address will receive an email. Those initial emails will be deleted so we can begin tallying actual donations.

Thank you all in advance for your generosity and your help. Let's show the power and commitment of our community. Please post any project related details, questions or statements in this thread.

Jasonik
April 12th, 2006, 08:57 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Jasonik/TLOZ.jpg

The above quote is not from our very own forum, but is the most fitting thing to be associated with TLOZ and the Family Garden - IMO.

This moving statement is posted here (http://tloz-link5.livejournal.com/18971.html), the night after his parents renewed their wedding vows on their 25th wedding anniversary.

BrooklynRider
April 12th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Wow! Jasonik, this is brilliant. I am so incredibly moved by it.

krulltime
April 12th, 2006, 09:20 PM
The above quote is not from our very own forum, but is the most fitting thing to be associated with TLOZ and the Family Garden - IMO.

This moving statement is posted here (http://tloz-link5.livejournal.com/18971.html), the night after his parents renewed their wedding vows on their 25th wedding anniversary.

Yes thank you Jasonik! I think that it is just perfect to what we might want to put on the memorial.

BTW, I just made my donation. :)

BPC
April 12th, 2006, 10:34 PM
I made my donation. Great work, BR. You really pulled this together fast.

Jennifer in Harlem
April 12th, 2006, 11:58 PM
I am very glad that this forum actively pursued a memorial for JB. However, the site that NYRP proposed is traditionally an italian area ( note the famous RAO restaurant) and almost a mile away from where JB was attacked.

There is a park called Harlem River Park ( located at 131st street & Lexington) where some of the thugs lived across from. Couldn't the NYRP work with that property, where I am sure the community was be amenable and therefore engage the area residents and kids to volunteer and participate?

Just a thought. From everything I read about JB, I think he would have preferred that.

BrooklynRider
April 13th, 2006, 01:29 AM
We appreciate the input Jennifer. The first inquiry we sent regarding a memorial was to the City of New York, Department of Parks. We never received a response. We agree that public parks can use this kind of support and that was our first attempt. After determining that they were not going to respond, we looked for other options. The New York Restoration Project (NYRP) was offered as an alternative.

NYRP has a credible track record and have accomodated us from the first phone call. They respond to phone calls, emails and seem to be ready to work with us. We have to look at the big picture. We are an untested group as far as "real world" goes. We received pledges of $995 dollars and have received $675 to date. We are not experts in this field and, frankly, we're kind of flying by the seat of our pants. Personally, I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing, but I'm following my instinct. Believe me when I tell you I am praying to J.B. to guide us through this project successfully (figuring he is closer to or a part of a greater force that can help.)

I think that thus far this has appeared to be quite effortless, but we have a handful of people who are now in roles of project advisor, public relations, communications, email monitoring, accounting, graphic design and operations. It's all new to us. Luckily, I work for a firm that has given me some latitude at work to handle the press inquiries and communications with NYRP (and they say they will contribute to the project).

I totally understand what you are suggesting and the spirit in which you offer it. However, by working with NYRP the project becomes tax-deductible and we have received generous donations when you review the contributions versus dollars collected that have been reported. I am extremely hopeful that others will step up to help WiredNewYork make a definitive statement about JB, his contributions to this community and the impact of his loss.

This is the project right now. Tomorrow I will be in communication with the NYRP Director of Development, who will address our desire to enhance what we are doing and possibly expand the project beyond the Maggie's Garden after fulfilling our mutually agreed upon objectives there. Whether we raise enough money or not, NYRP is committed to help us move forward with the project.

I guess I should go on the record here and announce that we are optimistically aiming for a $5,000 target at this point. That with the hope that NYU students kick in lots of small donations after reading the NYU News reports of the project.The leadership committee, made up of WNY volunteers, tentatively believes we can accomplish the full scope of our vision with that amount - even if we must take components to different areas in Upper Manhattan. I have every confidence that NYRP is behind us 100% in meeting our goals. But, again, we are all new to this and we won't know anything until we get closer to May 13th and our funding goal.

Moments ago I issued a press release announcing the project to select news organizations with the hope that they will run a story on the project. I've never done this before. It seemed like the right thing to do. I'm hoping we get more conrtibutions that allow us to execute this project and maybe fulfill a forum wish list for projects in the neighborhood. I have two huge fears as I head to bed tonight. (1) That the press release will be ignored and we fail to raise the money we are estimating we need. (2) That the press release is picked up and I spend hours talking to reporters hoping I say the right things and hoping I don't piss anyone off.

I hope you can rallly around this project in its current incarnation and be a contributing part of it with your time or money. I think many of the forum members who have dealt with me for a while know that I am getting a crash course in diplomacy. I don't know why I jumped into this position, but I have to go back to that word "instinct." It felt right. It still feels right and I believe we can do this. But, I also believe that WiredNewYork.com is a real community. Our reactions to JBs death were real and sincere, and our desire to "do somehing" seemed tangible. I am walking and talking in this role with confidence - because we are going to do this and make a statement on JB's behalf about peace, about healing and about community. We are gong to be JB's ambassadors of compassion and kindness. If an Italian neighborhood benefits, then we won the hearts and minds of an Italian neighborhood who knew nothing of JB or WiredNewYork before we acted. If we fail, well, I fail. I am willingly and enthusiastically in this role, self-doubt, anxieties and all. But if anything goes wrong or if we do not execute this with dignity that earns the respect of JB's family, my name is out there and Edward's name is out there. That's where the arrows will be aimed.

So, I respectively ask you and our forum community to get on board. It's going to be a wild and fun ride into unknown territory. We are going to do this and JB is going to be remembered for how he lived - not how he died.

Right now, I can really relate to the following quote / phrase that is attributed to Georgia O'Keefe. It sums up where I am right now and strikes the righht chord for me:

"I've been terrified every moment of my life and I never let it stop me from doing anything I wanted to do."

So, friends, work with me here. Thanks!

NoyokA
April 13th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Very nice graphic. If you grid this picture painting a mural is a very simple thing to do. I threw this grid together in five seconds just to show the approach. Each sqaure would be multiplied several times over and several people would be responsible for several squares. I've done murals this way many a times, its very simple and the results are rather good, they will especially be good with this graphic.

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/2914/tloz0pv.jpg

Merry
April 13th, 2006, 08:18 AM
I'm having a bit of trouble making my donation on the NYRP website, but I'll find a way!

BrooklynRider
April 13th, 2006, 08:21 AM
Hi Meredith-

I have contacted NYRP as well and hope to have this glitch resolved ASAP. Stay tuned! ! I think they will be impressed that our project is international in scope. Mucho gracias!

Stern and Friends-

I'm not shy about asking NYRP about a mural, but think we might want to check alternative sources. Any ideas?

BrooklynRider
April 13th, 2006, 08:38 AM
They got it all right, except the amount raised to date. I'm not certain how that number was arrived at as the only firm numbers I had at the time we spoke last evening were $995 in pledges and $675 in confirmed contributions. But, we'll take it. I hope other forum meembers can contribute any amount to get us to at least that $1500 mark and please let us know if you contributed by sending us an email to HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com noting your WNY Username and contriubution amount.

Harlem garden to honor junior's life
By Kaveri Marathe
Assignment Editor

April 13, 2006

WiredNewYork.com, in conjunction with the New York Restoration Project, has chosen to rejuvenate the Family Garden in East Harlem to honor Broderick John “JB” Hehman, the CAS junior who died April 4. The garden is located at East 114th Street between 1st Avenue and Pleasant Avenue, and the renovation is set to begin May 13.

Hehman fell into a coma on April 1 after he was struck by car in Harlem while allegedly fleeing four young muggers.

A senior member of the Wired forum, said regardless of whether the garden can be renamed for Hehman, his memorial will still be established.

“I know nothing at this point about naming rights or options, but a permanent memorial will be established in the garden,” he said.Naming options are not available and this project has been moved to Maggie's Garden at 149th and Broadway][/COLOR]

Wired has already collected around $1,500 for the project, though they hope to collect at least $5,000, he said, adding that they hope to name a tree, bench or plaque for Hehman.

The group is working with the New York Restoration Project — a nonprofit organization specializing in rejuvenating the city’s parks and greenspaces — the group with which they found the garden, he said.

“It was a meeting of minds,” he said. “They made it clear that they are helping us with our project.”

According to an April 12 press release, the project is a reaction by the virtual community to “bring something constructive and productive to the community.”

“A project that reflects the compassion and kindness of JB Hehman that will enhance the community with a beautiful, sincere and lasting asset, which will be executed and dedicated by our anonymous members in JB Hehman's memory,” according to the release.

Cammiso said the project will honor Hehman's memory and not the incident surrounding his death.

“It’s not about the crime. It’s not about what happened to JB,” he said. “It’s about celebrating his life.”

Hehman was a member of the WiredNewYork community and a prolific contributor to the forum with 3,320 posts since Nov. 13, 2002. He made his final post to the forum on April 1, 2006, three days prior to his death.

“[Hehman] was a gentle soul and a light-hearted guy, and, in the mix of his almost daily posts, were words of wisdom, foresight and introspection that seem beyond his 20 years,” Cammiso said.

WiredNewYork is a community of 585 active members and thousands of guests discussing New York City architecture, real estate, culture, politics and issues impacting New Yorkers.

The virtual community invites “New Yorkers who wish to channel their energies into a demonstration of peace, community and healing,” according to the press release.

To donate to the project, visit www.nyrp.org/joingive.php?action=donate (http://www.nyrp.org/joingive.php?action=donate) and restrict your funds to the JB Hehman project in the comments box.

[B][BrooklynRider note to readers: please, if you make an online contribution, contact WiredNewYork at HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com so we can keep our contribution tally climbing.]

BrooklynRider
April 13th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Thought I'd move the tally forward, I'll be updating this post for now as we get more donations.

Fundraising was begun on 4/12/06 at 10:27AM
12 Contributions Received as of 4/13/06 at 5:40PM
Total To Date: $910

2) Select your amount.

THIS RUNNING TOTAL HAS BEEN FROZEN - SEE OUR LATEST TOTAL IN POST #112

BrooklynRider
April 13th, 2006, 11:53 AM
A message from Brian Sahd at NYRP:

The response to the project, at this early stage, is impressive. You are doing a great service to the memory of JB.

Regarding international donations from Susan Madden at NYRP:

Thank you for bringing [international donation problems] to our attention. I will let the firm that handles our web site know about this. In the meantime, credit card donations can be made by fax at 212-333-3886. Donations can also be sent via mail to our address listed below.

I will give you a call today to discuss the article that appeared in WiredNewYork.com. As you may be aware, this garden has already been completed restored through a generous grant from the Tiffany & Co. Foundation. While we can certainly beautify the garden further with flowers and a bench, we need to be sensitive to the fact that this garden has been named and restored by Tiffany.

I look forward to speaking to you soon, and thank you again for your interest in NYRP and the wonderful work you are doing in memory of your friend.

We remind anyone making a donation by fax or mail to specify "Resticted to JB Hehman Memorial Project." And, we continue to ask donors to shoot us an email at HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com so that we can report on our collection this far. Thanks.

BrooklynRider
April 13th, 2006, 02:53 PM
The project location has been changed to:

Maggie's Garden at 149th Street and Broadway.

We believe we will have greater ability to bring our vision to fruition here, i.e. plant a tree and install a plaque for JB and perhaps install a bench as well. This will be in addition to planting the perennials as previously outlined in our project details.

Everything else is the same. To ensure the info is clear to any new people visiting this thread, I am editing my earlier posts and ask other forum members to make necessary changes to their posts to remove any confusion from the thread for forum guests. I think it is kind of unprecedented to request edits, but clarification is needed.

Thank you.

Edward
April 13th, 2006, 03:27 PM
To ensure the info is clear to any new people visiting this thread, I am editing my earlier posts and ask other forum members to make necessary changes to their posts to remove any confusion from the thread for forum guests.
This will only confuse people that have visited the thread earlier. Please refer people to http://www.wirednewyork.com/jb/ for current information and keep the discussion in chronological order.

BrooklynRider
April 13th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Thank you Edward. I got heat this morning for the publication of information that was picked up from the earlier portion of this thread. I need to respectfully ask people to understand that I am changing project references from the original site to the new site to avoid the problem I had this morning. We need this project to succeed and I need to meet the requests of those helping us. PLEASE DON'T BAN ME FOR THIS.

I will note that the post has been edited. If people come here and do not read through, it is going to hurt

BrooklynRider
April 13th, 2006, 03:43 PM
We got an interview with the New York Daily News. We should have article published tomorrow or over the weekend!! I will be out of town. Someone please post it!

BPC
April 13th, 2006, 05:00 PM
We got an interview with the New York Daily News. We should have article published tomorrow or over the weekend!! I will be out of town. Someone please post it!

Great work. Hopefully the Daily News piece will tell people how they can donate and/or volunteer.

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 12:38 AM
I just want to put out the call for help on a couple of fronts:

a) Does anyone have access to a color copier to print us a couple hundred (500?) of Jasonik's flyers? I have free coupons for Staples, so I think I can swing paper.

b) Does anyone live in Harlem around this park who might be up for handing out flyers in front of the Garden and at the nearest subway station to get the local community involved?

c) Are their any NYU students or Village residents who want to spent a couple of hours in Washington Square or Union Square handing our Memoral Project Flyers to get JB's schoolmates involved?

I'm going to post this in the memorial thread as well.

LeCom
April 14th, 2006, 12:39 AM
I would like to help with the labor, if possible. I do not have a lot of funds and am not in the city a whole lot, yet I would like to make it down and aid however I can, even if it is for a short while. I really think that what we as a community are doing is a great and benevolent thing, and would like to take part.

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 12:52 AM
That's great LeCom. We are still in a strategizing and planning phase for the event itself. The next phase will be the coordination of volunteers.We are going to begin collecting the names of volunteers following our meeting next Thursday with NYRP. At that time, we'll have a better understanding of the types of volunteer activities and tasks that will be available. Thanks for jumping in. A coordinator will contact you.

We encourage forum members to check their private message notifications at the type right hand corner of this website. We may be coming to you directly with questions or requests. This is a WiredNewYork Community project and we will hope to gain the the involvement of the whole community in one way or another.<wink>
----------------------------------------------------------------------
We continue to invite forum members new and old to cast your lot with us to support and nurture healing, peace, and compassion. Your time or generous contribution are greatly appreciated. Keep returning to this thread for updates!

[b]Date: At this point, we focused on a project date of Saturday, May 13th. This will let us memorialize TLOZ (JB) by Mother's Day, which would be poignant as him mom passed away last fall.

[b]Please contribute today! All donations are tax-deductible.

2) Select your amount.

ManhattanKnight
April 14th, 2006, 08:50 AM
In today's Daily News:

Green salute to slain student

Slain NYU student Broderick John Hehman poured his heart out to the WiredNewYork.com (http://wirednewyork.com/) Web forum, and now its members want to beautify a Harlem green space in his honor.
"His death has stunned our online community," said the group administrator. "We are determined to honor his memory and love of New York."
Working with Bette Midler's New York Restoration Project, the group already has raised $1,000 that will help buy a flowering tree and lots of perennials for a community garden at 149th St. and Broadway.
The 20-year-old metropolitan studies major known as "J.B." was hit by a Mercedes-Benz the night of April 1 as he tried to escape a mugging by five teenagers on 125th St. in Harlem. Four young teens - including two 13-year-olds - have been charged with second-degree murder.

Donations to the J.B. Hehman Memorial Project should be sent to the New York Restoration Project at 254 W. 31st St., 10th Floor, New York, N.Y. 10001.
Nancy Dillon

http://www.nydailynews.com/04-14-200...p-345929c.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/04-14-2006/news/story/408661p-345929c.html)

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Obviously, I am not the administrator here. Edward is the administrator and it is a tremendous job he has done over the years and particularly in response to this act.

With today's Daily News report we are going to get both visitors to the site and hopefully new members. I making a direct appeal to our existing membership:

PLEASE MAKE A DONATION AND PUSH US OVER THE $1000 MARK!

2) Select your amount.

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Thought I'd move the tally forward, I'll be updating this post for now as we get more donations. Thanks to a very special friend of mine for pushing us over the $1000 mark.

19 Contributions Received as of 4/15/06 6:33PM
Total To Date: $1460

We are steadily cllimbing and this does not include contributions not reported to us, i.e. NY Daily News Readers! We're aiming high!

This counter has been discontinued. Please see new counter at post #112

2) Select your amount.

THIS RUNNING TOTAL HAS BEEN FROZEN - SEE OUR LATEST TOTAL IN POST #103

ablarc
April 14th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Glad things are proceeding so expeditiously; I just johnny-come-lately sent in my contribution.

macreator
April 14th, 2006, 01:10 PM
What a great thing you pulled together BrooklynRider!

I will make a donation today via the website.

Jasonik
April 14th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Here (http://www.badongo.com/file/474718) is the pdf 'flyer' for anyone who wants to look it over and give me feedback/suggestions.

At the page you have to wait 30 seconds :mad: then click the download button after it appears.

If anyone knows of a better free pdf host I'd be happy to use them.

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 06:17 PM
What a great thing you pulled together BrooklynRider!

I will make a donation today via the website.

I guess I have become one of the public spokespersons for this project along with Edward, but there are MANY forum members hard at work - we are keeping work aspects of the project in the restricted "TLOZ Project" Forum.

PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU HAVE MADE A CONTRIBUTION TO THE FUND VIA WWW.NYRP.ORG. WHEN WE RECEIVE YOUR EMAIL, EDWARD WILL BE NOTIFIED TO GIVE YOU ACCESS TO THE RESTRICTED MEMORIAL PLANNING FORUMS, WHERE YOU CAN HELP US STRATEGIZE AND PLAN - EVEN IF YOU CANNOT ATTEND THE EVENT.

It is worth reiterating that this will be a pseudo-celebrity event. Volunteers on May 13th will not be required to sign in - if we have our way (it is possible that waivers will have to be signed for NYRP - but that will be administered by their staff) - and every volunteer will be able to select a celebrity name tag, by which you will be known for that day to protect everyone's anonymity. I have "Brad Pitt" reserved because I've never had the experience of a hot blonde - and I mean that in every way possible.

Please continue to give - encourage your friends ad family to give and don't forget to send us an email confirming your contribution to HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com.

BR

Gulcrapek
April 14th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Hi, I'm sorry I'm so late, I haven't visited here in ages and only read through what was my first visit to SSP in ages as well. I live two blocks from the garden; I am willing to help with labor and a donation, I'm not sure how much yet.

I can also try to set something up with City College's community plans/organizations, including the Dominican Institute (exact name?), of which one of my professors is the leader. I haven't done this stuff before either so please e-mail me with specific ways you think CCNY and the Dominican organization can help. I'm sending off an initial email to my professor about this and will hopefully get a response soon.

BTW May 13 is my birthday so this will definitely be something I've wanted for a while.. an actual productive birthday celebrating life and contributing something for the greater good.

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Gul-

We should take this conversation off-line. I am actually on vacation right now (enjoying my Hotel business center for a stretch). Shoot me an email at HehmanMemorialFund@hitmail.com and we can discuss the details. I have dinner reservations and I plan on drinking (I'm excited and stressed and a drink or five will do me good). I might not get back to you today, but will touch base over the weekend.

BR

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Glad things are proceeding so expeditiously; I just johnny-come-lately sent in my contribution.

Ablarc please contact us at HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com. Put your username and contribution amount in the subject line, so we can add it to our tally. At that point, you will be given access to the "TLOZLink5 Project" restricted forums. Those are the forums where most of the behind scenes work is taking place and all who have invested in the project have a vote in how it goes forward. We have not done this to exlude any members of WiredNewYork from participating within that forum, as much as to create an incentive for individual giving and to report contributions back to us. We need to have an idea of how much we are raising to plan project scope.

Thank you!

lofter1
April 14th, 2006, 10:37 PM
I live two blocks from the garden ...

I took the C Train up there today to take a peak at Maggie's Garden (http://www.nyrp.org/nygt_maggiesgarden.htm). It's a lovely garden -- one that we can all make even more beautiful to honor JB.

I urge anyone who can to go up and take a look this weekend as the three Magnolias are right now in full glorious bloom.

W. 149th St. is really terrific looking, as well. And very easy to get to via subway on either the C line or the B line.

Gul: Is that Hamilton Heights or Washington Heights?

BTW May 13 is my birthday ...

What kind of cake do you like?

BrooklynRider
April 15th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Gul-

I've preheated my oven to 450 degrees. Chocolate ot vanilla icing?

Deimos
April 15th, 2006, 03:06 AM
I have access to a color copier. I'll talk to marketing at my company on monday to see what they can do... at the very least I know they'll allow 500-1000 copies to be made (especially if someone can provide paper). I can't make it on the 14th so i'd like to do whatever else I can to assist!

BrooklynRider
April 15th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Deimos send me a Private Message. I'm on vacation, but I'll get back to you ASAP.

macreator
April 15th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Sent in my donation and also e-mailed the memorial hotmail account.

Fabrizio
April 15th, 2006, 04:03 PM
I have tried again to send my donation but the site tells me that my bank will not complete the transaction. I know there have been troubles with overseas donations. Whats the status on this?

Im also rather drunk (its a holiday) so let me taKE this time to tell you that i love you all).

lofter1
April 15th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Celebrating ^ the exit of the dwarf?

Fabrizio
April 15th, 2006, 04:13 PM
"Celebrating ^ the exit of the dwarf?"

I&#180;m cele4brating the resurection of CChrist. whoose the dwaft?. Lofter I love you 2. Butt you know that.

lofter1
April 15th, 2006, 04:31 PM
"Celebrating ^ the exit of the dwarf?"

whoose the dwaft?.

dwarf / dwaft =

here (http://www.museosatira.it/2000/natali/img/disegni/berlusconi.jpg)

or here (http://www.segnalidifumo.it/e-books/silvio_berlusconi.gif)

and here, too (http://www.volpin.it/photogallery/berlusconi/berlusconi_003.jpg)

Fabrizio
April 15th, 2006, 04:39 PM
LOL! For the general public: thats our Face lifted and sun-lamped prime minister. Wears bikini underwear.

Fabrizio
April 15th, 2006, 06:09 PM
I just tried again and am still getting the message that the transaction cannot be completed. Brooklyn mentioned another overseas contributer having the same prob. Can anyone verify this? If need to, I will send by money-order. I will say that the form is strange... it asks for "country" . ..but also asks for "state".... leaving "state" blank ( because my country doesn not have states) comes back "invalid".

ManhattanKnight
April 15th, 2006, 06:38 PM
I just tried again and am still getting the message that the transaction cannot be completed. Brooklyn mentioned another overseas contributer having the same prob. Can anyone verify this? If need to, I will send by money-order. I will say that the form is strange... it asks for "country" . ..but also asks for "state".... leaving "state" blank ( because my country doesn not have states) comes back "invalid".

Here's a discussion of the "overseas contributor" problem that BR mentioned:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=92619&postcount=71

Fabrizio
April 15th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Thanks. I did see that they were accepting donations by fax ... but Id prefer not to send my banking info via fax. When Brooklyn is back I will discuss this with him and Im sure the prob can be resolved.

BrooklynRider
April 15th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Thought I'd move the tally forward, I'll be updating this post for now as we get more donations. Thanks to a very special friend of mine for pushing us over the $1000 mark.

19 Contributions Received as of 4/15/06 6:33PM
Total To Date: $1460

We are steadily cllimbing and this does not include contributions not reported to us, i.e. NY Daily News Readers! We're aiming high!

BrooklynRider
April 15th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Sent in my donation and also e-mailed the memorial hotmail account.

I got a PM from you, but no email.

Please send me an email to HehmanMemorialFund@Hotmail.com with your username and contribution amount in the subject line.

MACREATOR and NEWYORKYANKEE, I received your PMs, but please send an email with your username and contribution amount in the subject line.

We want to able to send formal acknowledgements from WNY to you. All information will be kept confidential and access to the list is limited to the WoredNewYork NYRP liaisons and Edward.

He will also add you three to the Project Team, granting you access to the restricted "TLOLink5 Project" forum. This is restricted to members who have invested in this project. We are not seeking to keep others out as much as to create an incentive for individual giving. Donations of ANY amount are appreciated and guarantee access to the forum.

Thanks. (Just trying to keep organized!)

BR

Merry
April 15th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Hi, Fabrizio.

I've had problems too. The NYRP have been very helpful in sorting it out, but being the Easter break, it will probably be next week when it's done. I've sent you a PM.

BrooklynRider
April 15th, 2006, 09:01 PM
I have tried again to send my donation but the site tells me that my bank will not complete the transaction. I know there have been troubles with overseas donations. What&#180;s the status on this?

I&#180;m also rather drunk (it&#180;s a holiday) so let me taKE this time to tell you that i love you all).

Sending that love right back to you and EVERYONE at WNY. The response has been tremendous as our totals do not include donations received directly to NYRP from NY Daily News readers.

We have been told by NYRP that the glitch for international donations should be fixed in the coming week. It is rather exciting to know that, apparently, our WNY members will represent the FIRST international donations to NYRP. We are very pleased!

Also, if you are anxious to act, credit card donations can be made by fax at 212-333-3886. Donations can also be sent via mail to the NYRP address: New York Restoration Project, 254 West 31st Street, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10001

Make them payable to New York Restoration Project and put JB Hehman Project Fund in the note line. Please send us an email at HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com to let us know you contributed, so we can add your amount to our running tally.

My hangover is over. A beautiful vacation day - sunny and hot. Dinner and wine in two hours - followed by drinking and dancing. Live life to its fullest!

krulltime
April 15th, 2006, 09:57 PM
I have posted on other forums (I belong to) about JB Hehman and the memorial we are trying to do. Hopefully some of those members (and readers) of those forums will donate aswell. I gave them the steps necessary for donations to the NYRP. :)

macreator
April 15th, 2006, 11:12 PM
I got a PM from you, but no email.

Please send me an email to HehmanMemorialFund@Hotmail.com with your username and contribution amount in the subject line.

MACREATOR and NEWYORKYANKEE, I received your PMs, but please send an email with your username and contribution amount in the subject line.

I'm not sure why the first e-mail didn't go through, but I've sent a second e-mail to the memorial hotmail account.

I also recieved your PM Brooklyn, and am awaiting access to the memorial room from Edward.

Have fun dancing Brooklyn! I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacation :)

UPDATE:

Looks like I now have access to the special forum. Thanks Edward.

BrooklynRider
April 16th, 2006, 06:03 AM
Hi friends-

I continue to be amazed by the outpouring of generosity from our community. This project serves to add many adjective to the name "WiredNewYork Community": caring, selfless, kind, bold, generous, resouceful, ambitious, socially-conscious, action-oriented, compassionate, committed, team-oriented, loving and supportive. Thank you for allowing our team to put our trust in a group both anonymous and, yet, so populated with fully formed and recognizable personalities. WE CAN AND WILL REALIZE OUR VISION FOR TLOZ. This must be the project mantra: "WE CAN AND WILL REALIZE OUR VISION FOR TLOZ."

WE CAN AND WILL.
WE CAN AND WILL.
WE CAN AND WILL.

And, we will not be satisfied, until every corner of this city knows what we are doing - anonymously - in JB's name. We are WiredNewYorK and we are going to plug everyone we can into this wiring and create a voltage that jolts the Harlem neighborhood and this city's sense of what is possible when the people do what the people think is right - simply becuse it is right and for no other reward. PLEASE JOIN US!

I found this quote to be particularly inspiring for our initiative:

"Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back-- Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary truth that ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material assistance, which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."- Goethe

ablarc
April 16th, 2006, 09:09 AM
"If you think you can and you think you can't, you're right." --Henry Ford.

BrooklynRider
April 16th, 2006, 07:48 PM
No contributions today as of 5:47PM. It's a holiday and a beautiful Sunday - it's project hiccup we can get rid of by getting out our message and info on our project.

See info on how to help here: http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93164&postcount=191

Please help!

Thank you!

BrooklynRider
April 17th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Thought I'd move the tally forward, I'll be updating this post for now as we get more donations. Thanks to a very special friend of mine for pushing us over the $1000 mark. Let's keep going. Do I hear "$2000"?

31 Contributions Received as of 4/19/06 1:05PM
Total To Date: $2600

We are steadily climbing and this does not include contributions not reported to us, i.e. NY Daily News Readers! We're aiming high! We thank the students of "Chinatown, NYU" for pushing us above the $2000 mark! Thank you to forum member "Merry" in Australia for pushing us over the halfway ($2500) point!

2) Select your amount.

BrooklynRider
April 17th, 2006, 05:27 PM
International contributors, I have spoke with NYRP today and the inability to accept international donations has not yet been fixed. If you would like, please call Susan Madden, Director of Development for NYRP at (212) 333-2552, during the hours of 9AM to 5PM Eastern Standard Time (U.S.) and she can take your contribution via phone. I know you folks will push us closer to $2000 - or utilize the fax or mail options previously posted in this thread. I have been assured that fax communications are secure and delivered immediately upon receipt by NYRP.

4/18/06 Update - NYRP still working on problem. Mentioned they might utilize PAYPAL or another similar online feature. Stay tuned...

BrooklynRider
April 17th, 2006, 05:32 PM
J.B.'s father and sister remain in mourning and have made no comments, to the best of our knowledge, on this project. Please know it will be planned and executed with the utmost dignity and with a great sensitivity to the family. However, I am sharing this snip from an email we received today.

"I am not a member of Wired New York Forum, but as a member of JB's family, I want to support your wonderful effort in memory of this wonderful young man. I thank all the members of the Forum who have been contributing with their kind thoughts, memories, and love for JB. I have contributed anonymously."

We must succeed my friends and we must continue to urge our friends, families and fellow forum members to support our efforts financially. We need to meet our $5000 goal!

PLEASE MAKE A DONATION AND PUSH US OVER THE $3000 MARK!

2) Select your amount.

Thank you all in advance for your generosity and your help. Let's show the power and commitment of our community. Please visit the "JB Memorial Moving Forward" thread for tally updates.

BrooklynRider
April 18th, 2006, 08:19 AM
We have been informed that members of the Hehman Family and his close friends and loved ones are visiting these forums. We welcome you with open arms. What we are planning will be executed with utmost dignity and respect. If there are any specific requests you have or questions we can answer, please contact us at HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com. All communication will be kept strictly confidential.

At an appropriate time, our members wish to present you with a CD containing selected forum posts by JB. Please accept our deepest sympathy and condolences. Our prayers are with you.

BrooklynRider
April 18th, 2006, 04:22 PM
1) A meeting was held last evening of the leadership committee as we prepare for our first face-to-face meeting with NYRP. Stay tuned for an update.

2)Our friends at Canon kindly printed 800 high-quality color copies of our project flyer for distribution to the NYU community. I will pass these off to an NYU classmate of JBs who has contacted us and agreed to distribte them to his professors and place them on campus.

3) We have received a generous in-kind donation from a local printer to create two (2) 2' x 3' banners for our project to hang on the garden fence, so the community is aware of our effrts on project day. One will be the moving banner created by Jasonik and included on our project flyer. The other will be a banner with the New York Restoration Project logo and our as yet to be designed WiredNewYork.com Forum Community banner. WE ARE SEARCHING FOR A GRAPHIC DESIGNER FOR THE "WIREDNEWYORK.COM FORUM COMMUNITY" LOGO. iF YOU CAN HELP PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA PM.

4) NYRP offered to tell me what has been raised to date. I now know how pregnant couples feel when they are asked if they want to know the sex of the child before it is born. I'm chewing my lower lip off, but I declined the offer. All I know is that whatever we raised, we can raise more. WiredNewYork is driving this project in memory of our sorely missed TLOZLink5, but this is very much a national project at this point with donations and support coming from as far away as Oklahoma City OK, Charlotte NC, Brookline, MA, and, hello down under, Australia! Our Australian friends are working this project (ALOT is going on behind the scenes) as we sleep in this hemisphere.

Whether you support us financially or with positive vibes and energy, thank you. We are doing the right thing. The universe is moving with us because we put this out there and said THIS! is what we are going to do. WiredNewYork is our virtual town square and this community is coming out in force.

My deepest, deepest gratitude for your support and warm wishes.

BrooklynRider
April 18th, 2006, 10:42 PM
600+ project flyers were printed today by forum member Deimos (thank you to his employer for the project support). They have been handed off to classmates of TLOZ from the "Chinatown NYU" club. They will be distributed to all of JBs professors and classmates tomorrow.

BrooklynRider
April 19th, 2006, 05:37 PM
We have made it half way to our goal. I want to thank everyone for their support thus far. At this point, I am going to hold off on further donation updates until Monday, Aptil 24th. We will meet with New York Restoration Project tomorrow evening and bring the project update back to the Project Team for review and discussion.

Thank you so much for demonstrating that "netroots campaigns" like grassroots campaigns are real, inspired and produce results. I am honored to to be a member of this community.

BR

BrooklynRider
April 20th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I was notified that there were some misperceptions about the intent of our project that were raised at Tuesday evening's Community Board 11 Meeting in Harlem. To stave off any misunderstanding, the following letter was sent to CB11 Leaders and I post it here for any CB11 members or Harlem community residents seeking more information on our project's intent. Welcome to our forum.

Dear CB 11 Leaders-

I am writing to you on behalf of the WiredNewYork Forum Community. I was contacted by a reporter from the Village Voice who asked me to respond to comments made at last evening's meeting regarding our community project in the memory of J.B. Hehman. Please accept my sincerest apologies for not communicating with the Board as our project has been proposed and totally coordinated at this point by volunteers with a lack of understanding of the proper protocols. I believe my inexperience and naivete can be the surest cause of any misunderstanding.

First, I would like to share with you our press release:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

Attached is the completed project flyer (PDF format) for the WiredNewYork.com "J.B. Hehman (a.k.a. TLOZ Link5) Memorial Project." We are extremely pleased to be collaborating with the non-profit New York Restoration Project, who have developed and led some of the most astounding natural parkland and community garden restorations in New York City.

J.B. Hehman was a member of the WiredNewYork community and a prolific contributor to our forum with 3,320 posts since November 13, 2002. He made his final post to our forum community on April 1st, 2006, three days prior to his senseless death in Harlem at the age of 20. WiredNewYork is a community of 585 Active Members with thousands of guests joining us to discuss New York City architecture, real estate, culture, politics and issues impacting New Yorkers. J.B., who went by the user name of TLOZ Link5, was a gentle soul and a light-hearted guy and, in the mix of his almost daily posts, were words of wisdom, foresight and introspection that seem beyond his twenty years.

Our virtual community has reacted to this loss with a fervent drive to bring something constructive and productive to the community where this incident occurred. A project that reflects the compassion and kindness of J.B. Hehman that will enhance the community with a beautiful, sincere and lasting asset, which will be executed and dedicated by our anonymous members in J.B. Hehman's memory. We invite New Yorkers who wish to channel their energies into a demonstration of peace, community and healing to join us and ask that they follow the attached instructions. We have ambitious plans and hope that, with the support and generosity of New Yorkers, we may execute this and similarly spirited projects in J.B. Hehman's memory.

Further information about our project, J.B. Hehman, and WiredNewYork.com can be found at www.wirednewyork.com/jb. The entire WiredNewYork.com community forums can be found at www.wirednewyork.com/forum.

This project is being developed and executed by volunteers with the expert guidance of The New York Restoration Project. Further inquiries can be directed to the HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com, which is being monitored by volunteers or to me at [718-832-5578. We thank you for your consideration and support.

Robert Cammiso - Project Co-leader

We asked the New York Restoration Project to help guide us through this process and help us create a project that could include all New Yorkers wishing to bring something. beautiful to the community in the spirit of peace, compassion, and kindness. We had only arrived at the idea of enhancing a garden space after discussions within our online community about what we could do in the face of this tragedy. We felt it is too easy to shout that somebody ought to do something or criticize why nobody is doing anything and, instead, decided we would simply "do something."

We had envisioned and continue to envision our project as a positive, reaffirming, and spirited way to show support for a community that J.B. Hehman ardently advocated for and to perhaps, in our own way, help make his vision a reality. On July 22, 2004, Mr. Hehman, posting under the username "TLOZ Link5," reacted to a proposed 20-story luxury residential development in Harlem by stating:

"I'm hoping for an impressive design, as well as that people in the neighborhood will get priority.

I'm all for revitalization, but I still hope that Harlem can be integrated while maintaining its history as a Black neighborhood; it would be a shame if families who have lived there for generations were to be priced out. It would be nice, however, if the boundaries between racially divided neighborhoods citywide could be a bit more blurred, in some cases penetrated in both directions."

It is in that spirit that we conceived of our project and within that stated vision, I, perhaps naively, attempted to drum up publicity and funding for our project. Although our forum, in its earliest discussions on this project questioned the funding threshhold needed for naming a park in J.B.'s memory. It has never been a stated mission of this project. The mission was to come into the community to show our support and through our actions let others know that what happened to J.B. in Harlem could happen to anyone in any neighborhood. We did not in anyway intend it to be a statement about Harlem or its residents or contribute to a divisive and unproductive discourse. We wanted to say, "This happened in New York City and as New Yorkers we intend to both put up, shut up and let our actions be our response." There are no politics involved nor comments on the incident or ongoing investigation. This is about community. As New Yorkers, we at WiredNewYork feel that Harlem is part of our town and we sincerely care about it history, present condition and future.

Our attempts at gaining coverage often involve me, as the only spokesperson for this project, having long conversations about our passionate resolve to "do good" and perform community service in J.B.'s name. I can only speak as passionately as I write this letter to you, with the hope that our message and mission is conveyed. I have no control over editing for space constraints, but we appreciate the publicity because it hopefully will help us fund the initiative. We sincerely wanted to perform this act entirely in anonymity, so that the only name associated with it would be J.B. "TLOZ Link5" Hehman. Yes, we would like to leave a plaque in the community with his name, but not as a morbid reminder of his tragic death, but, rather as a lasting reminder of his wonderful New York spirit and advocacy. Another post by J.B. made to our forum on March 20th, 2005 has become kind of a favorite for our members. In it he took on unfair criticism of New Yorkers. He stated:

"Cold? Unfeeling? Certainly not! Just because we live in apartments and brownstones as opposed to subdivisions or rural towns doesn't mean that we have no sense of community. I'm friendly with the people who live in my building, I know the owners of the restaurants and shops of the area. I live in as much of a neighborhood as does anyone else. Anyone who says otherwise needs to be hit over the head with a copy of The Death and Life of Great American Cities.

Softcover, of course."

You can see he also had a sense of humor.

Our forum is an open forum where the issues facing New York are talked about, debated passionately, and we exercise courtesy in our communication regardless of opinion or response. It is an open forum. When I write to you about our members, I also invite you to visit our site and become members and say what you have to say about any subject that is affecting your neigborhood or the city. We are not members in the sense of some "exclusive club," we are rather a bunch of people who found a great little place on the Internet to discuss and maybe obsess on our favorite subject: New York, including Harlem and its other historic communities.

Please accept my apologies for any misunderstanding. We are responding to this tragedy from a place of compassion, peace, healing and kindness. This is meant to be a joyful event. We have donations coming in from across the U.S. and around the globe. We have a fundraising goal of $5,000. I can't say it is enough to solve every problem or meet every challenge, we had just hoped to create a small spot where we could remember J.B. the Urbanist and Great New Yorker.

We are just a group of people trying to do good and state by example how we believe people should react to adversity and challenges. It is a sad time, but we retain our hope for a future devoid of these tragedies - everywhere. I would love the opportunity to have a dialogue with all of you or a representative from your group. We thought our project and intention would have an added credibility within the community by partnering with New York Restoration Project, who seem to have created many lovely gardens in Harlem and northern Manhattan as well as the other boroughs. I hope you have a better understanding of our desires. I leave you with a final quote from J.B. "TLOZ Link5" Hehman. For me, the one that best sums up our overall attitude as a community:

"If you love the place you live, love it with the same passion that so many New Yorkers do, then you'll learn to tolerate its imperfections if it hasn't been ingrained in you already.

Be to its virtues very kind, but be to its faults a little blind."

Please forgive my inexperience. I most sincerely invite you to join us in whatever form this project takes.

Warmly-

Robert Cammiso - Project Co-Leader

BrooklynRider
April 20th, 2006, 09:50 PM
I know many of you are anxious to hear our about our meeting today with New York Restoration Project. I am going to cede the floor on reporting about the meeting to Lofter1, who was a brilliant, diplomatic and charming counter balance to my nervous, excited and chatterbox style. We made a pretty good team it seems. Thank you to Schadenfrau for pre-planning with us, although the NYRP rescheduling made it impossible for her to attend. Anyway, we have news to report and Lofter1 will have an announcement.

The flyers graciously created by Jasonik and printed by Deimos have been received with great enthusiasm by NYU students and we hope they generate the funding our new goal requires. A new flyer will be created with new focus and verve, so please stay tuned.

We continue to pursue publicity for our project. The P.R. for this project will become more finessed now that we have a definitive goal and set parameters. I had an extensive interview with the Village Voice last evening that resumed earlier this evening, so we hope to see an article in next week's edition. They are asking for donation totals, so please continue to promote this endeavor to all your friends and relatives. We believe our newly defined scope and parameters are a great story and worthy of coverage. With Lofter's announcement I hope everyone will appreciate our desire for as much dignified coverage as possible.

We should all be very proud of our efforts and our results thus far. Oh, and today I wore a suit for JB (so did Lofter1) - ladies and gentlemen of the forum, we represented WNY in style.

Please watch for Lofter1's report here. The next steps are going to be a real group effot.

Have a peace-filled weekend. We are about to take on a wonderful challenge!

lofter1
April 20th, 2006, 10:20 PM
BR & I had a terrific meeting with Susan Madden, Brian Sahd and William Curtis-Bey of NYRP today. They are quite enthusiastic about our plans to create a beautiful and meaningful memorial for JB. Some details are still being worked out --so it will still be a few days before we publish the full scope.

But for the interested visitors to our forum: please be assured that everything is moving in the right direction.

Planting Day at "Maggie's Garden" (http://www.nyrp.org/nygt_maggiesgarden.htm) is set for Saturday May 13 from 10 AM - 12 Noon.

Planting VOLUNTEERS needed and WELCOME!!

Please join the wirednewyork community on that day and help us begin our efforts to keep JB's spirit -- and his love for NYC -- alive.

More up-dates will follow.

And hats off to BR, Schadenfrau, Edward and all the other members of wirednewyork who are making this effort a reality!!

lofter1
April 20th, 2006, 11:16 PM
After some back and forth it was decided that the time is right to post some additional info on the outcome of our meeting with NYRP and the JB Hehman Memorial.

Sorry if this goes on a bit too long but there is a lot of good news ...

The Meeting

After talking about JB and his intense passion for NYC some ideas came forward for a great way to memorialize JB. The folks at NYRP are very impressed with the money and commitment that our community has brought forth so far and they have no doubt that we will exceed the goal we previously discussed (BrooklynRider will up-date the forum with the specifics about the money end of things).

Our fundraising gives us the opportunity to not only help to create a more beautiful spot at Maggie's Garden in memory of JB but also to help the youth of the Northern Manhattan / South Bronx in a more long-term way.

By raising our fundraising goal a notch or two the thought is to create something along the lines of the JB Hehman Memorial Endowment for Urban Environmental Education (or something along those lines).

This type of educational outreach is something with which NYRP has had great success. You can read more about their programs & efforts:

Environmental Education and Recreational Programs (http://www.nyrp.org/nyrpprograms_recreational.htm)

Community Programs (http://www.nyrp.org/nyrpprograms_community.htm)

The Endowment Fund

During our meeting it became apparent that such an Endowment Fund could be a great vehicle to fulfill some of JB's interests regarding Urban Planning and Community Enrichment. With our efforts this could prove to be a terrific "perpetual" Memorial to JB.

The Planting Day at "Maggie's Garden"

Saturday May 13 from 10 AM - 12 Noon is when the planting will take place.

WE will need to enlist & organize VOLUNTEERS -- so clear your calendars!! The idea is to prepare some of the beds (Maggie has gotten a head start on us and started turning some of the beds -- I hear she grows some great tomatoes!) and PLANT.

William will be our leader in this effort and he's checking with Maggie to see exactly what she might want planted. Most likely we will be planting annual flowers, some vines along the back fence to go with the wysteria & other vines that were previously planted -- as well as some new perennial grasses in the rear area. There are possibilities for us to do even more at Maggie's Garden that day -- just some of the details that we're still working out.

All in all the effort so far by the wirednewyork community has been OUTSTANDING.

Together we can make this partnership with NYRP a really terrific way to honor JB.

PS: BrooklynRider will be giving more details soon.

BrooklynRider
April 21st, 2006, 12:13 AM
Following up Lofter's post above, we are pushing forward to meet the challenge from NYRP to create a JB Hehman Endowment for Environmental Education.

Our goal is $10,000. We can do this. I will write a press release over the weekend and create an appeal letter for any individual's who wish to solicit family, friends and, especially, employers. I am happy to report than my employer responded by contributing double my donation. I encourage everyone to simply "ask."

We raised $2600 in five days.

$10,000 WE CAN DO THIS.

This will allow JBs spirit to touch inner-city children through education. The envoronmental education programs are particularly aimed at getting minority youth to focus, gain knowledge and interest in earth sciences. Statistically, this is an area of education not typically pursued by minorities. This endowment can create programs in JBs name with the endowment operating in perpetuity. It would also be a fund to which individuals could contribute annually to grow the fund or to contribute to in honor or memory of a loved one.

In our postings in other threads we challenge the imagination and vision of real estate developers, architects, urban planners, politicians, and the public at large. Again, this is the time for us to demonstrate imagination and creativity and resolve and perseverance.

THIS my friends is a JUST and NOBLE cause. THESE are the kinds of actions and commitments that should have priority in our community.

This project is WiredNewYork. We are putting an emphasis on the "wired" portion of the community name. Use your network of friends to encourage support. Work your network of colleagues and neighbors to get their backing. Let's get others WIRED to WiredNewYork and this project.

We have donations now from the states of Texas, Oklahoma, Massachusetts, New York, and New Jersey. If you know anyone in any of the other fifty states please encourage them to join a national coalition for peace, education, compassion and kindness. How many states can we get to support us? 10? 25? 50?

We have donations from Italy and Australia. We encourage our international forum members writing from the UK, Germany, Canada, France and Russia to make a donation. If every person who made a donation gets one other person to make a donation and commit to getting one more person to give, we can be at our goal in an astonishing peiod of time.

MidtownGuy
April 21st, 2006, 02:54 AM
The Endowment idea is FANTASTIC!!

BrooklynRider
April 22nd, 2006, 04:41 PM
Hello Friends-

I sent out what passes for a press release from a passionate, but inexperienced public relations novice. I am doing all I can think of to get our message out and create a lasting endowment in JB's name. This is our community's project and we need the wider New York City real world as well as others who are fed up with senseless violence to join this cause. Many of us at WiredNewYork have already backed up our passion for remembering JB with action or funding for this project. It is a success regardless of whether we hit $10,000 or not.

With that said, working within and coordinating a virtual community is sort of like herding cats. We're dealing with intelligent beings who have diverse interests, lifestyles, priorities and direction. Yet, this would not be called the WiredNewYork "Community" if I could not stand in this virtual town square and ask for your help.

I need help.

However good or effective our press release today was regarding our expanded scope and intention to create a JB Hehman Endowment for Environmental Education, it would create a sense of community urgency and interest if everyone could write their own "letter to the editor" to send to the NY Dailies as well as any local publications in your area. Newspapers respond to reader mail and story suggestions. I am on virtual bended knee asking you each to create a letter to the editor endorsing this project and its mission. Please convey the passion of our community for this project and our desire to involve other New yorkers who want to channel their reaction to this incident into something constructive.

They have heard from me - repeatedly. I think I am coming across as one extremely passionate voice in the wilderness. It is only a hunch, but I think that if they hear from us in letters, the curiousity will be aroused and this might turn into a "human interest" story in which the emotion as well as the details of the project can be equally covered. It is our passionate response that, for me, makes this project so interesting, exciting, unique, and newsworthy. And, of course, the fact that we would not recognize each other if we were all locked in the same room.

So thre it is. I need and I am asking for your help. A bunch of us are working on the project but 50 peole calling and writing to the papers has more effect than one person. Write one letter and send it to every paper you can.

We can have an absolutely lovely memorial project with the money so generously given thus far. We can create a lasting and giving memorial that will not only educate the youth of upper Manhattan, but also continuously keep J.B. Hehman's name and spirit alive for years and decades to come.

It has been an honor to work with and on behalf of this community thus far. "Fear" and "Excitement" - they feel the same in my body. Fear will paralyze, while excitement will mobilize.

Let's all get excited.

Warm regards-

BrooklynRider (Rob)

lofter1
April 22nd, 2006, 04:59 PM
Please help us with a tax deductible donation for JB's Memorial; just follow the instructions below.

ONLINE: To DONATE using a Credit Card please click on the link below and follow these basic instructions:

https://www.nyrp.org/joingive.php?action=donate (https://www.nyrp.org/joingive.php?action=donate)

2) Select your amount.
4) When you get to the credit card page, please enter in the "COMMENTS" area: Restricted to JB Hehman Memorial

By FAX, using a Credit Card:

Credit Card donations can also be made by fax at 212-333-3886.

By MAIL:

Donations can also be sent via mail to the address listed below (please write "Restricted to the JB Hehman Memorial" on your check).

254 West 31st Street,
10th Floor
New York, NY 10001

FINALLY:
Please, for purposes of our own WiredNewYork acknowledgements, after you DONATE send an email to:
HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com (HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com)

Let us know how much you contributed (so we can maintain a running total for our community). And, if you are inclined, provide us with your WiredNewYork Username. All information will be kept confidential.

Thank you in advance for your generosity and your help.

Kris
April 29th, 2006, 10:20 AM
International contributors, I have spoke with NYRP today and the inability to accept international donations has not yet been fixed. If you would like, please call Susan Madden, Director of Development for NYRP at (212) 333-2552, during the hours of 9AM to 5PM Eastern Standard Time (U.S.) and she can take your contribution via phone. I know you folks will push us closer to $2000 - or utilize the fax or mail options previously posted in this thread. I have been assured that fax communications are secure and delivered immediately upon receipt by NYRP.

4/18/06 Update - NYRP still working on problem. Mentioned they might utilize PAYPAL or another similar online feature. Stay tuned...
Still not fixed.

ablarc
April 29th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Still not fixed.
Would have been time to send an international money order by snail mail.

Or: would even a personal check have worked?

Kris
April 29th, 2006, 12:04 PM
Has the deadline passed? I don't want to use those payment methods. If they don't take care of it as they said they would, I'll call.

BrooklynRider
April 29th, 2006, 12:29 PM
The deadline has not passed, but we are in the homestretch of the last ten ddays before this project. You can call Breanne Scanlon at NYRP at 212-333-2552 or email here at BScanlon@NYRP.org and she can assist you. Some of other international friends worked through her to get the transaction completed quickly. Please remember to stae it is for the JB Hehman Fund, so they go into the WiredNewYork project. For anyone else reading this, please lcontribute to day. The information is provided above. If you would like to join the volunteer team for May 13th, let us know here and by sending an email to HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com. Ultimately, you need to be at Maggie's Garden at 10:00AM on the 13th.

Thank you!

nyinvestordude
May 1st, 2006, 09:54 AM
The deadline has not passed, but we are in the homestretch of the last ten ddays before this project. You can call Breanne Scanlon at NYRP at 212-333-2552 or email here at BScanlon@NYRP.org and she can assist you. Some of other international friends worked through her to get the transaction completed quickly. Please remember to stae it is for the JB Hehman Fund, so they go into the WiredNewYork project. For anyone else reading this, please lcontribute to day. The information is provided above. If you would like to join the volunteer team for May 13th, let us know here and by sending an email to HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com. Ultimately, you need to be at Maggie's Garden at 10:00AM on the 13th.

Thank you!

I'd like to volunteer. Please send me information via PM. Also, to keep JB's memory alive and it's just a thought but can't his username on here be elevated to moderator status? I don't want to get into the "he's watching over us, etc" type of scenario but it would, in my opinion be a fitting and lasting tribute to him and his memory. Again, just a thought.

BrooklynRider
May 1st, 2006, 10:44 PM
If you have come to this thread to learn about this project and memorial, I will attempt to break down the information for you in a way that is easy to understand:

Day Of Service In Memory of JB Hehman
On Saturday, May 13th, anyone wishing to volunteer may join us at Maggie's Garden. Maggie's Garden is located at 564 West 149th Street just east of Broadway. We need 10 to 30 volunteers, but can accomodate as many as show up. Maggie's Garden is a garden restored and maintained by the New York Restoration Project (NYRP). Our project will entail sprucing up the garden for Spring, turning and weeding flower beds, installing new perennial plantings and pruning trees. The cost of installing a mature flowering tree with a memorial plaque in Jb's name is $1250. The cost of installing a beautiful park ornamental cement bench with a commermorative plaque is $2500. Reaching a goal of $5,000 will allow us to install both.

JB Hehman Endowment for Environmental Education
Should our fund-drive exceed our expectations and reach a second tier goal of $10,000, New York Restoration Project will donate a mature flowering tree and commermorative plaque to our Day of Service, which will be conducted as explained above. Rather than the funding being directed to the service project, New York Restoration Project will create The J.B. Hehman Endowment for Environmental Education. This fund will exist in perpetuity with a biography listed on the NYRP of who J.B. Hehman was and the principles he believe in. The fund will be used to create programs aimed at minority and underserved youth in upper Manhattan. These programs will supplement public school education offering education in earth sciences, bringing children of the community into the NYRP gardens and parks and teaching them about the environment, conservation, horticulture, and biology.

How Can You Help?

Volunteer
We need volunteers for the May 13th project date. If you can commit to serve this project between the hours of 10:00AM and 12Noon on Saturday May 13th, please SHOW UP at the garden, located at 564 West 149th Street just east of Broadway. Dress in clothes ready to get dirty, enthusiastic and be assured that the eneergy and spirit of J.B. Hehman will take over from there. Our leader on the project will be NYRP's William Curtis-Bey. Ask for him when you arrive or simply ask for "Maggie".

Financial Support
When we announced this project and began asking for pledges of financial support we were amazed to have received $995 in pledges from Wired New York members. We have had an incredible success to date, raising over $3000. Yet, we remain short of our first tier $5000 goal and down the road a piece from creating a $10,000 endowment. If we had to end the fundraising today, we could celebrate a job well done. However, we have TEN MORE DAYS to go. If you have not given and are visiting we appeal to you to join us in honoring JB's Memory by making a tax deductible donation. If you have been on the fence, now is the time to get off and make your contribution. Any amount moves us forward!

To contribute online: Go to www.nyrp.org and follow directions to "Join/Donate." The process is straight-forward. When you get to the credit card page, please remember to type in the "comments" field "RESTRICTED TO JB HEHMAN PROJECT FUND".

To contribute by check: Checks should be made payable to "New York Restoration Project." Please write "JB Hehman Fund" inthe note area. Mail or hand deliver to New York Restoration Project, 254 West 31st Street, 10th Floor, New York, NY 10001

To contribute via email or fax: Please contact Breanne Scanlon at BScanlon@nyrp.org or call 212-333-2552.

THIS IS THE FINAL PUSH. PLEASE TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO SUPPORT THIS EFFORT TO MAKE A PUBLIC STATEMENT TO THE HARLEM COMMUNITY, THE CITY OF NEW YORK AND OUR NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL AUDIENCE AT WIRED NEW YORK ABOUT JB HEHMAN. WE CARE ABOUT THE SUCCESS AND MEANING OF THIS PROJECT BECAUSE HE CARED ABOUT THE SUCCESS
AND MEANING OF NEW YORK CITY.

This has been an astounding effort by this community. At this moment, funding determines just how much we can do. This is my final personal appeal. All aboard!

Remember
J.B. "TLoz Link5" Hehman.
Donate now.:)

BrooklynRider
May 8th, 2006, 04:48 PM
I was contacted by Tom Hehman, JB's father this afteroon. He expressed his support for this project. They are unable to attend on Saturday as Mr. Hehman would like to avoid any interaction with the press and seeks to shield his daughter from further pain from this incident.

It was an unexpected phone call and very moving. He appreciates our efforts and, in turn, I let him know we all hold him and his family in our thoughts and prayers.

lofter1
May 8th, 2006, 08:15 PM
That ^^ is the most fantastic news, BR ... gotta admit it brought a tear to my eye -- and increases my belief that we all are doing something good and important in memorializing JB in this way.

We all want to encourage as many people as would like to come to join us ...

PLANTING DAY for JB is this Saturday, May 13 from 10 AM to 12 Noon.

Bette Midler's reknowned New York Restoration Project will supply all the necessary planting tools including gloves -- but if you have your own favorite gardening gloves feel free to bring them along.

Just be prepared to do some work -- or just come and send some good thoughts in JB's direction -- and plan to get a little dirty ;) .

NYRP will also be supplying refreshments to keep us stong and going.

MAGGIE'S GARDEN: Web Link (http://www.nyrp.org/nygt_maggiesgarden.htm)

564 W. 149th Street

New York, NYC, 10031
Map (http://www.oasisnyc.net/OASISmap.asp?Garden=159&Action=Map+this+Garden&Address=&AddrBoro=Select+Borough&BLOCK=&LOT=&BBLBoro=Select+Borough&ZIP=&Neighborhood=Select&CD=Select&Boro=Bronx&name=OASISMap&SearchPage=CENYC&LOTS=on&GARDENS=on&GARDENS_PNT=on&GARDENS_LABELS=on&STREAMS=on&METRO_REGION_PLACE=on&STREETS=on&TRN=on&BRIDGES=on&NYC_ST_LABELS=on&PARKS=on&PLAYGROUNDS=on&STREETGREEN=on)

More news throughout this coming week.

BrooklynRider
May 8th, 2006, 09:43 PM
We have surpassed the $5000 mark!

Thank you and, please, if you have not yet contributed, there is still time.

You can find info on contributing here:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97165&postcount=1

We are also looking to build up our volunteer roster. Of course, we can use assistance with the gardening, but we also hope to have a huge crowd in front of the garden to help us dcelebrate the day and commemorate our work in JB's name.

To volunteer anonymously go here:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97165&postcount=1

lofter1
May 9th, 2006, 07:17 PM
FYI: the nyrp website is down today but should be back up & running tomorrow 5.10 -- so if you're wanting to DONATE don't let this little glitch dissuade you ;)

Taz
May 10th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Hi everyone,

i registered pretty much right after i first read the "Rest in Peace" thread, but this will be my first post, quite frankly because i had no idea what i wanted to write. i think i've finally figured that out.

I knew J.B. we went to school together for years. elementary school and into highschool. one of the reasons i put off writing this is because, honestly, i've been trying to forget the month from hell that was April. i'll try to give a little backround before i continue:

if i remember right, i met J.B. when he was about 12 , so i knew him for a good 8 years. everyone who knew us, knew we were never really friends, but when i heard he was in a coma, the fact that we never got along became irrelevant. i heard about him being hit by a car 3 days after it actually happened, and a couple hours later i found out he died. i left the school we went to in 2001, so i had'nt actually seen J.B in a good 5 years, but to hear someone i went to school with for so many years was killed, the reaction is beyond words.

i spent the first couple of weeks after he died, and pretty much right up until the day of the service, contacting people we went to school with who had'nt heard he had died. namely his ex-girlfriend and a couple of other people who were close to him. those 2 weeks up until and the day of his memorial service were, well, i dont think the english language even has a word to describe how everyone felt, and still feels. honestly, and i'm gonna be blunt here, i feel like shit about how i treated J.B. over the years, but i cant do anything about that now.

despite the history between me and J.B, none of it good and all of it my fault, i went to the service out of respect. the fact that we were at eachothers throats over the years doesnt mean he deserved to get killed. i've done a lot of thinking over the last month, and the more i think about J.B, the more i've realized i cant take anything away from him. he was always great to his friends, and if you were one of them you knew he always had your back.

right now, i'm trying to decide where i want to take this next, so bear with me while i think. maybe i should contnue by sayng that 5 years does a lot to people, maybe i should say people change, maybe i should say if this happened 5 years ago, i wouldnt even consider writing this. or maybe i should continue this by saying i've learned a lot from this experience, be it one i never thought i'd be trying to deal with, which, frankly i hav'nt. over the last month i've been talking to people i never thought i'd speak to again, or that i never thought i'd have any interest in talking to. i think with J.B's death i've come to appreciate them. but, this post isnt about me, its about J.B.

i think i need to comment on the memorial garden restoration you guys have planned for this saturday. while J.B. died doing something for someone else, and while i'm sure he'd be perfectly happy with having something created in his name for a deprived community (though not for the reason it's being done i'm sure) i feel compelled to say this. while i completely support the idea of a memorial project in J.B's name and i think the endowment is an excellent idea, after reading the small description of the garden and looking at the only picture on the NYRP website, i feel the location chosen is, at best, a pitiful attempt at a memorial. i dont mean to come off sounding like a dick in my first post, i dont know how tight this community is, but i do know J.B. deserves something a little better than a dump of a garden in a neighborhood where the clientel will no doubt demolish it by the end of the summer. something closer to his home would have been more appropriate i think.

with that said, i dont think i'll be attending the planting this saturday simply because i feel like it would be a disgrace to J.B's memory if this project were to be destroyed by punks like the kids who attacked J.B. that night on 125th and park. i am, however, considering making a donation to the endowment fund, and i'd like someone with information to PM me with specifics on how to contribute to that since i'm sure i missed it somewhere along the line.

i apologize for sounding like a dick with the last few remarks, but this has honestly been the hardest thing i've been through since i buried my grandfather 10 years ago and i felt like i needed to comment. with that, i guess there's only one thing left to say:

Rest In Peace, J.B.
5/28/85-4/4/06

lofter1
May 10th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Taz --

Welcome to wirednewyork. I for one appreciate you expressing your conflicted feelings regarding JB's passing, as it reveals another aspect of this sad & tragic event.

The garden at Maggie's Garden is really quite beautiful now -- especially in the spring when the flowers are blooming -- maybe the photo you saw on the NYRP website was the "before" picture.

Below is a shot showing how nice it looks now (in the pic you can see Maggie herself inside the garden). As you can see it is a well protected garden -- those big gates get locked up -- and we're confident that it is both well maintained and watched over, so there really is very little chance of it getting trashed / demolished.

The planting on Saturday is completely anonymous -- none of us here at wirednewyork really know each other personally -- and we're planning on handing out name tags with bogus names (I know BrooklynRider has claimed "Brad Pitt" and at this point I'm torn between "Eleanor Roosevelt" and "Jerry Lewis" ). Or people can fill in their own "alias" if they want.

So if you'd just like to come by on Saturday morning you're more than welcome.

Maggie's Garden
564 w. 149th St. (just east of Broadway)

http://www.dig-itmag.com/photos/lifegarden200403b_L.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:history.go(-1);)

Fabrizio
May 10th, 2006, 10:03 AM
Id want to be "Gregory Tenenbaum".

BrooklynRider
May 10th, 2006, 10:17 AM
i dont think i'll be attending the planting this saturday simply because i feel like it would be a disgrace to J.B's memory if this project were to be destroyed by punks like the kids who attacked J.B. that night on 125th and park. i am, however, considering making a donation to the endowment fund, and i'd like someone with information to PM me with specifics on how to contribute to that since i'm sure i missed it somewhere along the line

Sent you info on how to contribute.

It is worth noting that we and NYRP have gone directly into the community regarding this project and there is great support for it - across the board. No one is going to do destroy this or vandalize it.

It is going to be a lovely day and a great way to channel you energy into something POSITIVE and CONSTRUCTIVE in the wake of this tragedy. Hopefully, you will join this.

Taz
May 11th, 2006, 03:35 AM
lofter,

you're right, the garden does look nice in that picture. i'm surprised actually, considering how disgusting it looked on the NYRP website.

thanks for the info lofter and BR. unfortunately saturday looks like its going to be a shitty day. figures its gonna rain like a bastard all day, cant catch a break when trying to do something for someone.

thanks again, and i might try to get to the planting saturday.

lofter1
May 11th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Not to worry -- BR & I are working on the weather ...

But what's a few raindrops?

Gardens tend to like the water ;)

BrooklynRider
May 11th, 2006, 08:56 AM
...unfortunately saturday looks like its going to be a shitty day. figures its gonna rain like a bastard all day, cant catch a break when trying to do something for someone...

Taz-

Lofter1 and I have placed an order for sunshine for Saturday, but how awesome would it be if 30 people showed up rain or shine and full of enthusiasm for the day. It's only a few hours. Rain is only water. C'mon down. You'll meet a load of great folks from WiredNewYork and have great memories of doing something good and celebratory for JB. If you are on the verge of talking yourself out of it - don't. This is it - stand with us and be counted. It will be great to have someone there who has such a long history with him.

BR

lofter1
May 11th, 2006, 06:25 PM
I spoke today wtih Maggie (creator and No. 1 gardener at "Maggie's Garden") and we had a nice chat.

She wanted us all to know that she appreciates that we're coming into the garden on Saturday for JB's planting day. And that we're more than welcome, not only on Saturday but anytime in the future.

She looks forward to seeing & meeting us --

It looks from the latest forecast that the heavy rains that are coming in will be done with on Friday -- but Maggie agrees that if it rains on Saturday that shouldn't scare any of us away ;) .

BrooklynRider
May 12th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Greetings Friends-

Well, the weekend is just about upon us. This Saturday, May 13th at 10:00AM, we will enter Maggie's Garden at 564 West 149th Street, just east of Broadway. We will come together as a community with a common goal of celebrating the life of JB Hehman. This project has been moved along by his spirit and in Maggie's Garden, at the end of our community service event, we will leave a plaque. We are constrained in what we can etch on it by NYRP parameters, but the feeling behind placing it there is "JB, it was great to have cross paths with you."

We began this journey on April 10th, less than a week after his tragic passing. At that moment, we came together to "do something" and once we made our commitment, providence seems to have moved with us. We are essentially a group of strangers bound by a deep respect for JB and feeling of loss at his passing, who dared to think big and refused to consider failure as an option.

As we head into the weekend, there are people to thank:

Stern whose heartfelt plea that we "do something" spurred this project to life.

Schadenfrau and Lofter1 who by agreeing to drop their anonymity and meet to discuss strategy made it impossible to turn back.

ManhattanKnight for leading our WNY team of Schadenfrau, Greenie, Krulltime, Classical123 and Merry (burning the midnight oil for us down in Perth, Australia) who reviewed all of JB's 3300+ posts to WNY and cultivated a source of constant inspiration for this project.

Jasonik for his wonderful flyer design and banner, which will grace the fence in 3ft x 5 ft glory on Saturday.

Deimos and Krulltime for working their magic to print up over 800 project flyers - in color!

Chinatown NYU - for backing this project early on.

JB's classmate, Ji Han , for bringing those flyers to his classmates on NYU campus.

Professor Holly Haff for coordinating an on campus fund-drive amongst JB's classmates and professors.

NYUNews.com/Washington Square News for running with this story when the idea was initially hatched.

Nancy Dillon of the NY Daily News and Laura Italiano of the NY Post for writing about this project, fighting for space for the story in their respective papers, and for allowing JB's name to be associated with something positive, constructive and uplifting in this city.

Member of JB's extended family for reaching out to us and for their personal communications with team members. Having that connection was wonderful.

Maggie of Maggie's Garden for welcoming us with open arms.

Susan Madden, Breanne Scanlon and, our leader on Saturday, William Curtis-Bey all of New York Restoration Project for their patience in dealing with a crew of project leaders who never even bothered to ask if there were any rules we ought to follow. We ran with it and they cheered us on.

Brian Sahd , our champion at NYRP, who within moments of hearing what we proposed to do said, "NYRP wants to do this with you!" He cleared our path and found our project a home.

Edward , without whom WiredNewYork would not exist. This weekend is a clear demonstration of the community your mind and creativity gave birth to.

Lofter1 for being at my side through every step of this project and sharing the vision and determnation for this project and the sweet moments of emotional connection to JB we found in this work.

Finally, we must thank and honor JB's parents and sister for shaping this young man into someone who was passionate about what he believed in, willing to share his thoughts to convey that passion, and who openly credited them for the man he had become. Our warmest wishes and continued prayers are with Tom and Marisa Hehman.

JB "TLOZ Link5" we miss you and honor you. And, we have a little piece of you that will always be within our community.

Thank you all! See you on Saturday!

BrooklynRider

BrooklynRider
May 12th, 2006, 04:11 PM
Dear BrooklynRider-

I am being flooded with emails today from my NYU "kids." You will just never know how much you have done for all of them by learning how to process death, what to do with your feelings, and how to give value to life and memories. I'm sending you one more under a separate e-mail. Hope you don't mind. I can't find the words to thank you.

Holly

Hello!

I would love to go but unfortunately I can't because of work. I'm sure it will be beautiful. Just wanted to pass along my good wishes.

Just a random note--in doing my term paper about the light rail I found some insights about it on WiredNewYork, and didn't realize that one of the posts about it was from JB--small world, isn't it?

Thanks for a great semester, your class was really fun!

B.

Hi Holly,

I really wish I could be there and meet everyone involved in the effort, but I'm in Los Angeles right now. Let me know how it goes and what the memorial turns out to be. I will see it for myself when I get back at the end of the month.

Thanks,

D.
__________________________________________________ ________
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 2:18 PM
To: xxxxxx@nyu.edu
Subject: The last email I received from JB

Hi everyone,

I was looking through my emails from our class recently and came
across this message, which JB emailed me on April 1 at 4:47 pm and is
the last communication I ever had with him. This message is a reply to
an email I sent out to the developer's team regarding our development in the simulation project. As always, JB went above and beyond what was expected and did so much research for this project. Reading this email again reminded me of how JB was so hard-working and always did so much more than was necessary and Professor Haff and I thought everyone else in the classmight like to read it.

Also, I'm really proud of all of us in the class for doing so much for JB.

S.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

----- Original Message -----
From Broderick J Hehman xxxxx@nyu.edu>
Date Sat, 01 Apr 2006 17:47:24 -0500
To xxxxx@nyu.edu
Subject Re: Developer's Team

Hey S.,

This development should obviously be intended to be accessible to all.
I think that to emphasize the benefit of the parks that will be included in this development, the development itself should be marketed as a destination of sorts. Focusing particularly on the retail and entertainment parts should be key, and the parks should be easily accessible from the retail portion of the development. The last thing
we want is to make this a gated community; that would be counter-
productive.

Here are some tips from Wikipedia that we could use:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_urbanism
In addition, here's a partial list of New Urbanism developments that
can serve as models to guide us. I'd focus particularly on the first
because it seems to be the most similar to what I think we'll have in
mind:

Atlantic Station, Atlanta:
http://www.atlanticstation.com/

Poundbury, Dorchester, England: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poundbury

Seaside, Florida: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaside%2C_Florida

BrooklynRider
May 12th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Hi Everyone-

I'm running out of work now to find "kznyc2k," who is coming in from Massachusetts to volunteer with us tomorrow and sleeping on my couch tonight. For some warped reason, I suggested we meet in Times Square. Go figure that one out. I don't know if I'll have time to check into WNY before tomorrow. So, just a final note...

Please show up at Maggie's Garden!

It would suck to have it be just the three of us.

Mucho Gracias! Over and out.

lofter1
May 12th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I'm running out of work now to find "kznyc2k," who is coming in from Massachusetts ...

For some warped reason, I suggested we meet in Times Square...

methinks you thrive on the difficult situations ;)

lofter1
May 13th, 2006, 12:16 AM
Do come to Maggie's Garden ...

Everyone will be there!!

BrooklynRider
May 13th, 2006, 12:44 AM
I came home and found my 2 dozen helium balloons lying exhausted on the floor. Guess their feeling "not so fresh." Oh dear. I hope I can find a balloon man on the way in tomorrow! If anyone see's a balloon man selling some, we might need a few. I'll bring what I got, but it is akin to bringing a limp bouquet to a Valentine's date. Very disappointing - so if you can bail me out on this....

Also, I found sznycy2k in Times Square. We had dinner, saw a movie, and wandered the city. Now, it off to get some rest.

See you in the AM. I'm really psyched for this event.

Brad Pitt.

BrooklynRider
May 13th, 2006, 07:45 AM
PERFECT WEATHER

NY1 News

57 degrees / foggy this morning / going up to 64 degrees by noon / a high of 68

weather.com - decent weather

cloudy skies this morning will become partly cloudy this afternoon - High 66 degree

accuweather.com

7:00AM - Rain 57
8:00AM - Sunny 60
9:00AM - Cloudy 61
10:00AM - Mostly Cloudy 62
11:00AM - Partly Sunny 64
Noon - Partly Sunny 66

Today - Maggie's Garden - 10:00AM to 12Noon - 564 West 149th Street, just east of Broadway. Take #1 Train to 145th Street - walk four blocks north - make a right.

Comelade
May 13th, 2006, 09:05 AM
I would be with you since Paris

pfierro
July 17th, 2008, 03:42 AM
Is the Memorial Fund open to this day?

lofter1
July 17th, 2008, 10:57 AM
I would think that if you contact the New York Restoration Project and / or make a donation in JB's name earmarked for Maggie's Garden that the money should go where you direct it.

BrooklynRider
July 18th, 2008, 12:20 AM
My recollection from conversations with Brian Sahd at NY Restoration Project is that the JB Hehman Memorial Fund continues to exist. You can make a donation to NY Restoration Project with "JB Hehman Memorial" in the subject or note line. My understanding is that JB's family made a donation to the fund as well, which gave it a bit of a surge after our specific project ended.:)