PDA

View Full Version : moving to NYC this winter

Shelly
April 11th, 2006, 07:21 PM
Hello all...this is my first time on here. I currently live in LA, and I want some locals' advice on making the transition to NYC. First off, I have an eviction on my credit, but I've lived in the same place for 3 years with perfect rental history, and I wasn't living in the apartment in question at the time of litigation (bad break-up story). What are my odds at getting a decent place in the city without all the chaos that I went through to get my place in LA? I've heard that landlords are very hard on this there, more so than in LA...is this true? I'm also open to any opinions on the best areas to live. Cheers

lofter1
April 11th, 2006, 10:32 PM
If you can avoid revealing your landlord litigation history to a property manager it will work to your best interest.

There is currently a class action lawsuit involving tenants who have been "black listed" by landlords / property managers due to prior litigation in NYC Housing Court -- and the tenant did not have to do anything "wrong" -- merely the fact that a tenant was listed in a lawsuit seems to have been enough for a certain info gathering company to publish the tenants' names.

You can get some great info on the plight of NYC tenants here: Tenant.net Forum (http://www.tenant.net/.WWW/forum/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi)

Shelly
April 12th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Thanks, I'll check it out. It looks like I'll be putting down another huge deposit...oh well...NYC is worth it.