PDA

View Full Version : Tobacco law for the may 31st in Quebec

Gab
April 12th, 2006, 04:53 PM
If you plan to visit Montreal or else where in Quebec, no one will allowed to smoke the restaurant, club, or any buildings open for public. Of course many club owner are not for that law because they won't get less customer as it used to be.

Ninjahedge
April 12th, 2006, 05:23 PM
If you plan to visit Montreal or else where in Quebec, no one will allowed to smoke the restaurant, club, or any buildings open for public. Of course many club owner are not for that law because they won't get less customer as it used to be.

Which is BS.

There is a lul for about a year before people start to just give up the complaining and go out again.

There IS a shift in the clientelle though.

NJ will be enacting their ban on April 15th. I am looking forward to the Blues again without smelling like smoke coming home.....

Gab
April 12th, 2006, 08:21 PM
Anyway, we just have to order food by phone and to bring beer from the Dépanneur and smoke in your house, appartment, and hotel. It's not the Régie du logement's concern.

Jasonik
April 12th, 2006, 09:10 PM
This is sad for me, Montreal will lose a great deal of it's European charm.

BrooklynRider
April 12th, 2006, 09:14 PM
I think the ban in New York has ultimately been very positive. Montreal will adjust and continue to be beautiful and exciting.

Schadenfrau
April 12th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Eh, I've got to say that NYC has gone downhill since the smoking ban, at least in my opinion.

The shift in clientele Ninjahedge mentions seems to be a shift of very young, very loud, very suburban, and very obnoxious people swooping into formerly sedate bars dropping gems like, "It's nice not to smell like an ashtray."

Barcelona was an absolute heaven for nightlife compared to NYC. You could go out any night of the week, find a seat at a bar, and not see a single baseball hat in the entire place.

Ninjahedge
April 13th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Schade, I don't think that is from the smoking ban.

Those people have been in Hoboken for the longest time. I think the general demographic has changed due to the economy first.

When I was that age, you only went to the city once in a while. No regular occurrence. But it seems like the suburbanite spawn has been getting some more $$ lately and can find their way into the city more often now.

That combined with the real estate boom and overall gentrification of the city, you are seeing a lot more baseball caps out at the bars.

And more Subway sandwich shops than Italian or Jewish delis, more Chipotles, more TGIF's, more Starbucks, etc etc etc.......

Schadenfrau
April 13th, 2006, 12:02 PM
I wouldn't necessarily agree with the idea that suburban kids used to see a trip to NYC as a special occasion. I went to college in Westchester from 1994-1998, and most people went to NYC about three times a week. The NYU frats definitely hadn't taken over the bars at that point.

Ninjahedge
April 13th, 2006, 12:27 PM
I wouldn't necessarily agree with the idea that suburban kids used to see a trip to NYC as a special occasion. I went to college in Westchester from 1994-1998, and most people went to NYC about three times a week. The NYU frats definitely hadn't taken over the bars at that point.

I noticed that NYU has taken over. Places like Kettle of Fish and the now-evicted Blind Tiger Alehouse used to have a different weekday crowd. Very laid back and whatnot. But from what I heard, the school takes them over on weekend.

While this is good for thier buisness, and can keep beer-bars (ones not catering to Bud drinkers) alive, it also fosters a proliferation of those same crap-houses and makes the good places almost intolerable on weekends.

I do miss my Cheese-Wednesdays though... :(

PS, Schade, I wasn't talking about teh college peeps, per say, but more about the actual suburbanites living with mom and pop. Maybe it was the toll to get in, or the inherent NJ to NY phobia (like crossing a state line is somehow special). I don't know....

Gab
April 13th, 2006, 04:41 PM
During summer smokers will be allowed to smoke on the terrace where that facility is available in the restaurant and bar.

Gab
April 16th, 2006, 06:17 PM
I don't see Montreal as European charm but Quebec city has one. European charm in Montreal might be the old town.