PDA

View Full Version : MURAL @ Scene of the Crime

Jasonik
April 14th, 2006, 01:24 AM
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/8845/tloz2sz.jpg

Being in suburban Boston, I can't do much of the local day to day legwork, but I'm willing and able to come down for a weekend and help get it painted.

1. First things first; we'll need some pictures of the area @ 125th & Park - preferably from the train platform :D to scope out a good wall.

2. Next we'll have to get permission from the property owner to do the mural.

3. Finalize size/design.

4. Choose paint colors and type/quantity - research anti-graffiti clear topcoat.

5. Assemble team and wall layout strategy, ladders/staging etc. as needed.

6. Pick date(s) - rain contingency plans.

Most importantly we have to make sure this mural is tight as hell, otherwise people are gonna tag over it in no time. Sooo...

Any graffitti guys with clean can control and nice regular lettering would clinch our success, someone up would give us some cred. 'Na mean?!

I've got people here who could come down, but come on?! ;) We need some local talent!

* Right now I need a volunteer(s) to go shoot photos, and ask for possible permission re. likely walls.

Right now, to develop the design more I'm thinking a skyline in the background transforming into some sort of streetgrid/maplike thing in the same four grey tones. We'll also need a good pithy streetwise inspirational quote to put up with it;

any appropriate finds, post them here.

Obviously it goes without saying that anyone involved should they choose it would enjoy total anonymity.

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 06:45 PM
I don't want to speak for him, but Stern seems very shaken by this incident - understadably so. I am hoping (and I think he was too) that he could jump in with you on this part of the project. But, it may be too much for him.

krulltime
April 14th, 2006, 11:19 PM
I might take some photos of this area. I am in Philadelphia right now and might be here till monday. So I might do it on monday.

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Sound good. Note, Gulcrapek lives up around 149th Street. We need to be sensitive to his school obligations, but maybe he can shoot some photos, if you tell him what you are looking for, and post them to the forum.

I'm not looking to put anyone on the spot, just have us be as efficient as possible in the short time we have.

NoyokA
April 15th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Im going to do some research into getting a mural painted here.

Gulcrapek
April 15th, 2006, 07:48 PM
There were A few spots I saw today that may be suitable for the mural. Most of them are more than a few blocks away. I'll post pictures later..

Jasonik
April 17th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Thank-you Gulcrapek for the photos.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93180&postcount=18

BrooklynRider
April 17th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Thanks folks. I'm trying to say on top of the threads as well as monitor our fund email address and pursue press coverage. PM me if you need direction. It seems there is some synergy in here for this.

This is a community dedicated to getting a project done. Ask for what you need - people have been wonderful in coming thru for us.

Taz
January 7th, 2009, 01:36 AM
i'm wondering if this mural was ever actually completed, as i can't find anything on the forums (maybe i missed it)...if so, anyone have any pics and location?

lofter1
January 7th, 2009, 01:57 AM
I think after the focus for JB's Memorial turned to Maggie's Garden that the interest / action regarding the mural fell off. Plus there was never much interest from the immediate vicinity regarding memorialization of the tragic event in that area.

John P Robinson
January 8th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Having read lots of the posts about this very sad event I think that " Maggie's Garden" is the most perfect tribute possible.

Simply because it lives and breathes forever.

Well done people.