PDA

View Full Version : Press

ManhattanKnight
April 14th, 2006, 08:39 AM
I've posted today's Daily News story about the project in the public "RIP" and "Memorial Moving Forward" threads.

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Schad, Ryan, Lofter - Please see the NY Restoration Project thread in Forum Issues. I have been adding more question for NYRP to my post there.

Also, I just got a print copy of the NY Daily News we made PAGE 3!!! Turn the cover and, BOOM!, right in front. You couldn't pay for better placement.

Oh, dollar bills please rain down on our project!

krulltime
April 14th, 2006, 11:09 AM
^ That is fantastic!!! I am going top buy a copy just to make sure! ;)

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 11:52 AM
The NY Daily News article has an error. Checks are supposed to be made payable to the "New York Restoration Project" and "JB Hehmen Memorial Fund" should be written in the subject line. Me and Susan at NYRP bumped heads once when she took me to task for an error another reporter made, which was the reporter's error - not mine. I'm freaking a bit here over what her reaction might be, but what Nancy Dillion wrote in the News is not what I said. I've been living this for four days and I know the party line.

I have a call into Susan at NYRP, but they are closed today. I spoke with the NY Daily News and they put me through to Nancy's voicemail (she's off until Sunday). The good thing we might get a correction placed on Sunday, which would give us a second day of publicity. Either way, I'm sure NYRP will figure out a way to cash those checks for us.

Thanks.

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 06:35 PM
I have made headway with the New York Post and have been in contact with two reporters there. I will be resending press kits to them on Tuesday and hope to have interviews scheduled following that. I have a friend working for Metro in Philadelphia and hope to leverage that friendship to get a blurb in METRO NY. I'll start the phone barrage of the NYTimes after that.

If anyone has any contacts in the media I can contact or call, either with or without using your name, I would appreciate it. At this point, I am putting my trust in this forum. I've contacted NY1 and WABC-TV If you know someone who can get us coverage in anyway (to help drive up donations) have them call me at home.

Edward
April 14th, 2006, 06:46 PM
The NY Daily News article has an error. It is more of an omission than error. The article said donations to the memorial fund should go to NYRP and, technically, this is correct.

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 06:54 PM
You think? I am so sensitive to Susan Madden making sure I cross every "t" and dot every "i." It is beyond anything I can do at this point. I am assuming the will cash the checks one way or another.

Thank you. You just gave me a "just breathe" moment.

lofter1
April 15th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Should we use this thread to post press on JB's Memorial only -- or to post press on JB's death / investigation / etc. as well?

BrooklynRider
April 15th, 2006, 09:25 PM
I would prefer, if everyone agrees, to simply use this thread as a place to communicate press "issues." The thread in the open "Forum Issues" forum is where all news articles should be placed to share with the entire community. I wouldn't want to restrict information to the community.

Is this agreeable to everyone?

lofter1
April 15th, 2006, 09:36 PM
^ A-ok

BrooklynRider
April 15th, 2006, 09:38 PM
It might just become my place to do a little whining as I learn more about my inexperience in dealing with the press.

BrooklynRider
April 18th, 2006, 01:10 AM
FYI - I've received a follow up email from Nancy Dillion at NY Daily News. I sent out a second press kit to NY Post.

BrooklynRider
April 23rd, 2006, 10:40 AM
I'm hoping Chris Schott of the Village Voice gets his article placed this week. The Village Voice is a fickle paper, but it does usually run long articles. In this case, it would be perfect for our project. We need enough space for reporters to somehow convey our passion. This isn't just another project asking for money.

In the meantime, I am honing my very raw press release writing skills. Never did this before so, I'm going on instinct. I think this is better than the one that went out yesterday. Maybe not as good as the very first one. It is still too long, but I don't know what to cut without compromising our overall message, intent and passion:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE, APRIL 23, 2006:

NYU Urban Studies Student, J.B. Hehman, 20, was was hit by a car after apparently being attacked by a group of teens, all under the age of 16. He died three days later. A little over two hours before he died he made his final post under the username "TLOZ Link5" at WiredNewYork.com forums. The WiredNewYork forum community has been stunned by this death and this virtual community has teamed with Bette Midler's New York Restoration Project to undertake a project that will transcend from the virtual world to the real world with the intent offering compassion, kindness and support to the community where this took place, while creating an endowment for environmental education of youth in J.B. Hehman's name to educate upper Manhattan youth.

J.B. Hehman was a member of the WiredNewYork.com community and a prolific contributor to our forum with 3,320 posts since November 13, 2002. WiredNewYork is a community of 585 Active Members with thousands of guests joining us to discuss New York City architecture, real estate, culture, politics and issues impacting New Yorkers. J.B., who went by the user name of TLOZ Link5, was a gentle soul and a light-hearted guy and, in the mix of his almost daily posts, were words of wisdom, foresight and introspection that seem beyond his twenty years. Our members have never met, but we have harnessed the power of the Internet and electronic communication to develop an appropriate response and work anonymously together to bring this project to fruition. We do not believe a virtual community has initiated a project such as this in the past nor seen the response we have. Because of the virtual nature of our project, we have reached and received funding from states across the U.S. and the international community.

The WiredNewYork project is designed to invite and give all New Yorkers moved by this incident a positive and constructive way to channel their emotion, anger, mourning, grief, and sense that "something must be done." The project is twofold: (1) On May 13th between the hours of 10:00AM and 12:00 Noon, anonymous volunteers, members and friends of the WiredNewYork community will enter a New York Restoration Project (NYRP) community garden located at 149th Street and Broadway, known as Maggie's Garden. There we will conduct a day of service that will include pruning, planting perennial beds, weeding gardens and planting a tree - all in J.B. Hehman's memory. Should we assemble a group larger than the 30 needed in Maggie's garden, we will disperse into teams and undertake simultaneous projects in other NYRP community gardens in Harlem. (2) The second part of our project involves soliciting donations from our members and the community at large to reach our $10,000 goal to create the J.B. Hehman Endowment for Environmental Education. This endowment will be administered by New York Restoration Project (NYRP), a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, which has been instrumental in reclaiming and restoring parkland and open space in New York City’s most underserved communities. NYRP environmental education programs are particularly aimed at getting minority and underserved youth to focus, gain knowledge and interest in earth sciences. Statistically, this is an area of education not typically pursued by minorities. This endowment can create programs in J.B. Hehman’s name with the endowment operating in perpetuity. It would also be a fund to which individuals could contribute annually to grow the fund or to contribute to in honor or memory of a loved one.

J.B. Hehman once posted in our forum, "If you love the place you live, love it with the same passion that so many New Yorkers do, then you'll learn to tolerate its imperfections if it hasn't been ingrained in you already. Be to its virtues very kind, but be to its faults a little blind." It is in that spirit that we undertake this project.

We are honored to be working with NYRP and are moved to do so by the spirit that J.B. Hehman brought to our forum community and his fervent advocacy on behalf of our city and neighborhoods. For more information about this project and endowment fund, please contact Susan Madden, NYRP Director of Development, at 212-333-2552.

Susan Madden, New York Restoration Project, 212-333-2552, SMadden@NYRP.org

Fabrizio
April 23rd, 2006, 11:04 AM
I think it´s beautiful...moving... really clear. My compliments.

Merry
April 23rd, 2006, 12:00 PM
You'd never know you hadn't done this before. Your instincts are just right. Perfect.

ablarc
April 23rd, 2006, 02:29 PM
Good job, Rob.

Ninjahedge
April 23rd, 2006, 04:27 PM
2 hours before he was attacked, not before he died.

BrooklynRider
April 24th, 2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks Ninjah. I corrected that error and tightened up the release to rid it of repetitiveness and superfluous info.

Another release went out to another 15 new contacts provided by another team member last evening.

I continue to encourage our members to write letters to the editor of as many NY papers and community papers as possible. Flood the NYC news outlets with news of this project and request coverage for some "good news" in the face of a tragedy.

BR

BrooklynRider
April 26th, 2006, 09:33 PM
I came home and Laura Italiano of the NY Post is very interested in doing a story on this project for Monday's edition!!!!

It is a rollercoaster ride - but it's going to happen.

I have to send her stuff tomorrow and talk to her tomorrow night!

Please - and I really mean this -pray, chant, meditate or whatever it is you do to affect things in your life for this to happen. I'm watching the sand in the hourglass fall. This could be great if we can get them to do a big story. She seems up for it. I just need to stay focused, on point and relentlessly drive home how important a (BIG) article in the Post will be.

NYatKNIGHT
April 27th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Sending good vibes your way Rob - your efforts are very much appreciated.

lofter1
April 27th, 2006, 06:50 PM
BR -- Sending lots of +++++ energy your way.

Keep JB's spirit foremost in your thoughts:

http://photos-193.facebook.com/n13/0/34/802837/n802837_30714193_6260.jpg

BrooklynRider
April 28th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I concluded my interviw with Laura Italiano, who read eveything I sent her (she says). I am VERY hopeful abou this, but need to not get overly excited. She kept referring to it as a "garden project" and I kept having to bring her back to it is a COMMUNITY PROJECT. On the one hand, she was very nice. On the other, it was very much what I'd expect from the "NY Post." We need to hope for this and the Village Voice. I lied to her about how we had raised to date, but not so much that we won't reach that number. She was into the numbers of volunteers and all that and I had to keep telling her that "funding determines scope." She was going to call Susan Madden to arrange to take photos, so there are inklings of promise.

Oh well. we go into the weekend with a big question mark over us.

BrooklynRider
April 28th, 2006, 03:33 PM
The NY Post is doing a story for Monday's edition. Let's hope it is a slow news day and we get lots of ink.

BrooklynRider
May 1st, 2006, 09:07 AM
I've checked NY Post online and see nothing on the project. Obviously, I'm a bit upset, but need to regain my cool before calling the reporter to find out what has happened to the story. Did anyone see the print edition? Is there anything in there?

BrooklynRider
May 2nd, 2006, 08:08 AM
I'm excited by this article, but fear the donation info is incomplete. I'm just going to enjoy that we got more press. Please email Laura Italino at laura.italiano@nypost.com
and thank her and also thank Nancy Dillon of the NY Daily News at NDillon@NYDailyNews.com for her article.

TREE OF LOVE FOR SLAIN NYU KID
By LAURA ITALIANO

May 2, 2006 -- NYU student John Broderick Hehman loved community gardens, and adored Harlem, the neighborhood where he was viciously murdered in a botched mugging last month.

That's why on Saturday, May 13, Hehman's fellow students and numerous online friends will soothe their feelings of loss and outrage by gardening together in Harlem in his memory.

Among other activities, the group will plant a flowering tree commemorating the 20-year-old urban studies major at Maggie's Garden, a community garden on West 149th Street between Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue.

Organizers also are hoping to endow a perpetual fund in Hehman's name that would pay for programs to teach the kids of upper Manhattan and the South Bronx about gardening and earth sciences.

Police say Hehman died when four teens, none older than 15, chased him into traffic and he was struck by a car on 125th Street as they tried to steal his cellphone. Hehman's final act before dying was to give a dollar to a beggar in a wheelchair.

Donations can be made by visiting the Web site of Bette Midler's New York Restoration Project - which is supporting the effort - at www.nyrp.org/joingive.php?action=donate (http://www.nyrp.org/joingive.php?action=donate).

Information on the day of gardening is available by contacting HehmanMemorialFund@Hotmail.com.

"We would like to leave a plaque in the community in his name, not as a morbid reminder of his tragic death, but rather as a lasting reminder of his wonderful New York spirit and advocacy," said one project organizer.

The endowment fund and day of gardening were the brainchild of members of WiredNewYork.com, an online forum where Hehman, who used the username "TLOZ Link5, was a prolific poster.

His last message was posted two hours before his death. Four boys, all under the age of 16, have been charged in Family Court with chasing him into the path of an oncoming car on 125th Street while trying to rob him of his cell phone.

laura.italiano@nypost.com

Merry
May 2nd, 2006, 08:27 AM
Oh, bravo, Rob!

This is wonderful. Don't worry, it'll be fine. You're an inspiration to us all.

Chin up, mate!

Libby
May 2nd, 2006, 09:02 AM
Great story in the NY Post. I'm so glad you arranged for all the publicity. Great work Rob...Brooklyn Rider! I am going to email the story to JB's family in Kentucky.

Libby

Classical123
May 2nd, 2006, 10:30 AM
Great work, Rob! :) This is exactly what's needed.