PDA

View Full Version : Flyer

BrooklynRider
April 13th, 2006, 11:37 PM
I just want to put out the call for help on a couple of fronts:

a) Does anyone have access to a color copier to print us a couple hundred (500?) of Jasonik's flyers? I have free coupons for Staples, so I think I can swing paper.

b) Does anyone live in Harlem around this park who might be up for handing out flyers in front of the Garden and at the nearest subway station to get the local community involved?

c) Are their any NYU students or Village residents who want to spent a couple of hours in Washington Square or Union Square handing our Memoral Project Flyers to get JB's schoolmates involved?

I'm going to post this in the memorial thread as well.

----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your help with the posts Greenie!

krulltime
April 14th, 2006, 12:12 AM
Hello Rob... I migh have access to a color printer... I have to ask permission tomorrow if I can use it though.

I also can go over some posts form TLOZ if you want. Let me know how and where to start. :)

Ok question... the flyers that will be printed is the PDF file right?

krulltime
April 14th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Ok if that is the flyer! That is good.

Ok another thing... shouldn't the flyer have a little description about who he was and how he died, then just mentioning his name. That way people can really know why we are doing this. I just feel that lots of people might remember the news story but can't remember his name. Just a thought. What do you think? Shouldn't we remind them of that tragic story in some way, so they know why we are doing this?

Jasonik
April 14th, 2006, 01:18 AM
Ok if that is the flyer! That is good.

Ok another thing... shouldn't the flyer have a little description about who he was and how he died, then just mentioning his name. That way people can really know why we are doing this. I just feel that lots of people might remember the news story but can't remember his name. Just a thought. What do you think? Shouldn't we remind them of that tragic story in some way, so they know why we are doing this?

Probably so....

I'll take a look at getting a headline or newsclip on there.

Good lookin' out.

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 09:08 AM
With regard to the flyer, I do think we should have more information on the back. I may be thinking too big, but I am going to propose to NYRP that Scahd, Lofter, Ryan and I meet with NYRP and the Community Garden Association that maintains the garden to see if we can have a candle light dedication. I am thiking we can get HUNDREDS of people to come out for peace, compassion, kindness and healing - no only from Harlem but the whole city.

I'm thinking big. (Note to Ryan, Schad and Lofter - this is your express permission to kick me under the table at any meetings going forward if I get too out there).

krulltime
April 14th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Probably so....

I'll take a look at getting a headline or newsclip on there.

Good lookin' out.

Here is a good article...

http://wirednewyork.com/forum/

or maybe this one...

Or maybe the one that just came out on the Daily news might be better. It is more recent and it is a smaller article.

Jasonik
April 14th, 2006, 03:48 PM
*** is the pdf 'flyer' for anyone who wants to look it over and give me feedback/suggestions.
*edit*
Thanks for the feedback BPC, refer to Edward's Latest Posting about the flyer for the pdf download.

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 05:40 PM
This message is for Jasonik and ANYONE WHO CAN ASSIST JASONIK.

Our flyers look great - thank you! We have had forum members email us for copies and your link in the Memorial Thread is spot-on.

I was wondering..... Is there any way to get this statement on them:

If you prefer to pay by check, make it payable to "New York Restoration Project" and be sure to write "Hehman Memorial Fund" in the subject line. Mail to: NY Resstoration Project, 254 West 31st St, 10th Fl, NY, NY 10001

I ask this because we are going to try to get these handed out in the garden's neighborhood and on th NYU Campus. Some folks might be more comfortable with checks. It is perfectly acceptable if you can't do it at this time. You have done a tremendous service in JB's memory for us and this project.

Gulcrapek
April 14th, 2006, 06:09 PM
I can put up a bunch of flyers at CCNY and maybe at the 145 St. station if allowed. When they're finalized, inform me and the acquisition and a'postin' will begin.

Edward
April 14th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Here (http://www.badongo.com/file/474718) is the pdf 'flyer' for anyone who wants to look it over and give me feedback/suggestions. I have placed the flyer on this page http://www.wirednewyork.com/jb/

When you get a new edition, just email it to me.

Could the flyer size be reduced from 2.4 Mb? PDF attachments less than 1 MB could be attached to a post.

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Utilize the PDF Optimiser option in Adobe Professional. I have Adobe Professional, if Jasonik doesn't.

BPC
April 14th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Great work on the flyer. Some general comments/suggestions, FWIW:

1. Back when we were doing the group email thing, one of the members (I think her name was Heather) did a nice job of editing down the JB quote somewhat while still capturing its spirit. I would use that shortened quote. The key with a flyer is to avoid information overload. Plus, it frees up some space for some of other suggestions.

2. From step #6, I would drop the sentence: "You can include your forum username." As I understand it, the purpose of this flyer is to reach beyond the Wired community. This sentence leaves the false impression that you have to be a member of Wired to contribute.

3. "Contributions" is misspelled in step #2.

4. There should be a comma after the word "community" on the top line of the preamble.

Again, great job.

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 06:43 PM
I think the initial flyer by Jasonik hit the nail on the head. I think we were thinking in terms of our insular world here. The scope of the project is expanding and that is why the changes to a more universal language might be helpful. I continue to like the entirety of the quote selected at this point and think it is effective in getting people to join up.

Also, I am hoping to meet with the garden managers as well as NYRP to see if we can do a candlelight dedication. These types of events are moving and might draw people not inclined to "labor." If we do get the candlelight dedication, I'd like that info to go on the back of the flyer.

Jasonik
April 14th, 2006, 08:18 PM
I have placed the flyer on this page http://www.wirednewyork.com/jb/

When you get a new edition, just email it to me.

Could the flyer size be reduced from 2.4 Mb? PDF attachments less than 1 MB could be attached to a post.
Done.

Utilize the PDF Optimiser option in Adobe Professional. I have Adobe Professional, if Jasonik doesn't.
Done.

Great work on the flyer. Some general comments/suggestions, FWIW:

1. Back when we were doing the group email thing, one of the members (I think her name was Heather) did a nice job of editing down the JB quote somewhat while still capturing its spirit. I would use that shortened quote. The key with a flyer is to avoid information overload. Plus, it frees up some space for some of other suggestions.

2. From step #6, I would drop the sentence: "You can include your forum username." As I understand it, the purpose of this flyer is to reach beyond the Wired community. This sentence leaves the false impression that you have to be a member of Wired to contribute.

3. "Contributions" is misspelled in step #2.

4. There should be a comma after the word "community" on the top line of the preamble.

Again, great job.
Done.

I'll disable my posted link, so refer to Edward's new linked file.

I'm going away for the weekend so I wont be able to do anything until Monday afternoon at the soonest.

Good luck all.

Please someone go and shoot photos of 125th and Park for me and the mural team. :)

Merry
April 14th, 2006, 09:54 PM
I continue to like the entirety of the quote selected at this point and think it is effective in getting people to join up.

I agree, BrooklynRider. No disrespect to Schadenfrau's excellent editing effort, but I think the entire quote has a potency that's not quite captured in the edited version. These were JB's feelings, not just words and, for that reason, I don't see the length as information overload. A lot of people reading the flyer may not be familiar with JB's original words, but we are, and I don't feel right about messing with them.

krulltime
April 14th, 2006, 10:37 PM
The Flyer is looking great. Let me know if you want me to make copies. I think I am able to do it at work at no cost. I will be happy to do that. :)

BrooklynRider
April 17th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Great news! Let's see if we have more info after Thursday before finalizing this. If people can't volunteer to do labor, I am hoping we have a formal dedication that might be more convenient, like in the early evening. Hold tight - and THANK YOU.

Team members, please advise if you can help us lealet the garden site community and NYU - or if you have other areas you think might be effective.

Thanks.

BrooklynRider
April 17th, 2006, 05:46 PM
We received a donation from an NYU student and I am communicating with that person to see how we penetratethe campus with flyers. The person (it's an Asian name, so I do not yet know if it is a man or woman) is a former classmate and is going to approach some of JBs professors about getting the word out.

I'll report back as this develops. If anything, I can deliver a stack to the campus for them to distribute. But, at least we know the info is getting out to NYU (even if only slowly).

BrooklynRider
April 17th, 2006, 06:15 PM
Krull-

We have an NYU student who will distribute. I need to speak with you. I'm meeting with the group leaders and need to run out. Can I call you tonight or tomorrow?

Gulcrapek
April 17th, 2006, 08:09 PM
I might be slow and it's probably here somewhere, but when can the flyers start going out?

BrooklynRider
April 17th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Deimos and Krulltime have both volunteered to make copies. I have a PM out to Deimos and hopefully we will do one run tomorrow for a quick drop to our NYU contact. Krull - please PM me so we can work out details for a run at your office or contact for Gul. Thanks.

Rob
(BrooklynRider)

Deimos
April 18th, 2006, 04:41 AM
I have access to the color copiers in my office and have been given permission for 1-2,000 pages.

BrooklynRider
April 18th, 2006, 09:49 PM
DEIMOS has delivered on his commitment. Flyers are in the hands of reps from "Chinatown NYU," classmates of JB. They will be distributed tomorrow on campus. Fingers crossed for a surge in donations!

Deimos
April 19th, 2006, 09:12 AM
If another run of flyers is needed, I can definitely make them... I'd prefer to do them in 500 increments if possible to avoid attracting too much attention, but my company is on board so it's not like I'm doing anything wrong here :)

BrooklynRider
April 19th, 2006, 10:09 AM
I haven't heard from Krull. Let's wait & see. I'll let you know by 1:00PM

krulltime
April 19th, 2006, 08:07 PM
^ You did heard from me today! It was nice to meet you. ;)

BrooklynRider
April 20th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Thank you Krulltime for your generous help. Your efforts will help raise awareness and hopefully funding for our project.