PDA

View Full Version : Organizational Thread

BrooklynRider
April 13th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I'd like to thank our team members. You are here because you have chosen to make a statement about who the WiredNewYork Community is and wants to be in the face of the tragic loss of one of our own, TLOZLink5 - J.B. Henman. J.B. was a prolific poster and an integral part of this community. I think Ninjahedge voiced the loss best when he said:

I hardly even knew the guy! But he is akin to the light fixture you notice more when gone and realize how integral he was to the room. There were places he lit up that few of us saw and we will be hard pressed to see them again without him.

We have chosen to transcend our existence in the virtual world make a bold, positive statement in the real world in TLOZ's name. I told someone it is like we are all on the Starship Enterprise and we going to be "beamed down" for this event (I know - the nerd humor that gets us all stereotyped - no more Star Trek references).

We are so appreciative of the support we have found both financially and in manpower hours. If you have access to this part of the forum and this strategizing and staging area, it is because you have earned it through your solid support. Please let others know what we are doing and encourage them to support the project to get the magic key to this very unexpected new corner of our world.

We appreciate the people who have engaged in the flurry of email messages and conversations that led to the creation of this spot, where we can communicate and follow the conversation moer easily. A heartfelt thank you to Edward for being with us every step of the way and for faciltating this closed space for us to plan.

Where we stand at this point
1) Jasonik has created a PDF flyer for our event that is available by Private Messaging me or emailing us at HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com. We would appreciate any help we can get distributing these to potential donors and supporters. Please get one and hang it in your workplace, dorm, school place of worship etc. The sentiment expressed by JB in that quote should move people to give. Great work Jasonik. Edward - anyway to make it available on the site?

2) Jasonik and Stern will comunicate and explore our options and techniques for painting a mural of the Project Banner on the corner where TLOZ lost his life. Please report back and ask this room for any help, information and logistical support you need.

2) Lofter1, Schadenfrau, Ryan and I are dropping our anonymity on Monday evening to have a pre-meeting introduction in advance of Thursday's face-to-face with NYRP's Brian Sahd and Susan Madden. We will meet Thursday with NYRP and hash out the details. Upfront, I think we have a sympathetic friend in Brian Sahd and a very "by the book" director in Susan Madden. The are both very supportive of this project, but come to the table with seemingly different styles. Brian understands our goal and passion and has fallen into the spirit of this project. Susan as head of development for NYRP, does have interests to protect and that is why we have been moved from The Family Garden to Maggie's Garden. We have greater opportunity to negotiate and expand our scope in Maggie's Garden if of fundraising surges.

3) Lofter1 has taken the helm of the plaque project. I think this is something we all feel passionately about and I think that any negotiating we do must be with the intent of winning on this front. We want a plaque - we want a meaningful plaque - we want a plaque big enough to convey our feelings and the essence of TLOZ in this forum. To that end, we have agreed that we would like to reproduce Jasonik's fine artwork and design. We have already determined that the font cannot be reporoduced, we will follow Lofter's recommendations and make decisions as a group. See post #2 above.

4) The suggestion was made, and basically agreed to unanimously, that, although Jasonik pulled a great quote that portrayed the tenderness and sincerity of TLOZ, we as the WiredNewYork community prefer to seek a quote from TLOZ related to the City or his relationship to the city in some way. To that end, we currently have MahattanKnight and Schadenfrau jumping in to the fray. ManhattanKnight will review TLOZ posts 3320 - 2800. Schednfrau will begin her reviews at post 2800 and move backwards. We need more volunteers for this task. Throw your name in if you have time and communicate with Manhattan and Schad to see where you start off point will be. It has also been requested that other forums beyond WNY be reviewed. I believe Stern and Jasonik might have info on where to find these. Please continuethe discussion in this thread.

5) Selected posts by TLOZ can be posted in this thread (?). Is that correct Edward or are we creating another thread that can have only TLOZ quotes so we may vote based on post number? Let's discuss this further in this thread. Voting and elimination procedures will be developed as we see the results of our search.

6) The NY Daily News will print an article tomorrow that will hopefully let us surge in fundraising. I have Press Release packages out to the Post and have alluded (hopefully in an artful manner) that the competition is about to scoop them. Edward and I so far are the public spokepersons for this project. It will be a policy of this project to report to me immediately any contact with the press. We have an agreement with NYRP to keep them in the loop on all press contact. However, moving unilaterally with our press releases seems to have influenced NYRP that we are serious, we have an agenda and we are collaborating with them as opposed to just following. Nuf said.

7) With regard to the criminal investigation, we have NO COMMENT. With regard to the circumstances of TLOZ's death, OUR PROJECT IS FOCUSING ON HIS LIFE AND LOVE OF NEW YORK CITY.

8) Our donors thus far have been VERY generous and that might intimidate smaller donors. Following our meeting on Thursday with NYRP, we will strategize with Edward the best way to broadcast a fundraising appeal to the fill forum membership. Contributing must be heartfelt and it must be voluntary, No strong arm tactics (so I won't be PM'ing anyone anymore suggsting that maybe they "overlooked our new TLOZ threads"). Anyway, we need to have a broadcast and then an online rally. I throwing out into the room the though that Edward reactivate signatures for the remainder of our project campaign, so that team members can create supportive tagline for our project with a link to the NYRP donation page. Let's discuss it.

9) NYU's Washington Square News has been very supportive. I am still pressing the Office of Public Affairs to let us have one broadcast opportunity on the student / faculty email system. If the JB's family learns of this project and announces public support, we will likely get the nod from NYU. It is a delicate situation.

10) At this point, it is our understanding that JB's family has requested privacy. We do not intend to intrude on that and our answer to that is: We are planning this project to celebrate our colleague and using great care to do it with dignity and respect for his family and loved ones. PERIOD.

11) Event Volunteers: The new park allows us to expand the project to up to 30 volunteers. We would appreciate a person who will scan the memorial thread for volunteers and this thread for posts from us with volunteer support transmitted via email to our hotmail account. I've said it to the papers and I'll say it here. If NYRP says 30 and we get 100, we're invitig 100. We'll respectfully only let 30 into the garden at a time, but we'll have a block party for TLOZ outside the gates. I don't know the timing of the volunteer portion, but I am thinking that a candlelight dedication might be nice. Any thoughts?

I think that's it right now. Toss you ideas out there. This thread will operate as any other in th forums. I've rambled on here, but let's try to be succinct in our posting. There is some very real work ahead of us. I don't know whatt he experience was for everyone else this afternoon, but I had an adrenaline rush and felt like we really are going to bring a great WNY memorial to the Harlem Community. I've instinctually felt this project is the right thing to do. Today made it all the more certain.

Thank you all - Thank you Edward. You're baby is growing up.

There's work to do. This forum is open for business!

Merry
April 14th, 2006, 02:01 AM
Hello everyone.

I've only just got on the computer and read all the e-mails.

Firstly, I feel privileged to be part of this. However, I'm feeling a bit ineffective over here, so I've decided to increase my donation to compensate. Hopefully I'll be able to honour it soon when the NYRP sets up the facility to do so (I got a very friendly and helpful e-mail from them).

Secondly, I'm more than happy to help go through TLOZ's posts if someone will tell me what to do and where to start. If there's anything else you think I could do, you only have to ask.

What a fantastic job you've all done. There aren't the words to convey how I'm feeling at the moment.

lofter1
April 14th, 2006, 10:30 AM
(Note to Ryan, Schad and Lofter - this is your express permission to kick me under the table at any meetings going forward if I get too out there).
Noted /\ I'll be wearing heavy boots to the preliminary meeting, as well.

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 07:50 PM
Two items on the agenda I have not started on:

1) I was thinking of asking a NY Music Station to bring their van to the project on the date and broadcast from our project and report on it. Any good stations people could recommend. I stopped listening to radio when it started sucking bad.

2) I am going to press some vendors I know to create vinyl project banners for us to hang on the park fence during the project. One a remembrance of JB (Jasonik's graphic). The other one that states "A WiredNewYork Community Project.

3) The issue of anonymity remains and we do want this to be a WiredNewYork with the greatest involvement of forum members as possible. I am 100% committed to keeping this a totally anonymous event attributed simply to the WiredNewYork forum community and people committed to an act of peace, compassion, and kindness in JB's memory. To that end, I am moving forward with the plan to create celebrity name tags. We will have no one sign in for the event and if waivers must be signed - they will be administered and collected by NYRP reps - not WNY volunteers. Volunteers will be greeted at the gate and offered a wide selection of pre-printed celebrity names. I think it would also fit in entirely with JB's fun-loving side.

Any thoughts, input, sources?

Gulcrapek
April 14th, 2006, 08:22 PM
I don't know about the WiredNewYork sign. If anything it needs to be pretty small, definitely not a "banner."

BrooklynRider
April 14th, 2006, 08:33 PM
I thought it would identify us as a group. Nothing permanent. Who knows, maybe we do more than one project. But, I hear your comment. Let's see what others think. Nothing will be done unilaterally that represents us as a group.

BTW, I'm glad you're here. We've been missing your posts.

lofter1
April 14th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Methinks that any banner we agree to create should also include "NYRP".

krulltime
April 14th, 2006, 11:43 PM
I agree with Lofter1... we should include them aswell. Like maybe Wirednewyork with the collaboration of NYRP. I don't know something like that.

Gulcrapek
April 15th, 2006, 10:49 AM
I'll be at St John the Divine today so it won't be much going to 125/Park or 149/Bway (going near there too anyway), I'll see if I can find suitable walls on the former and I guess just snap the latter.

lofter1
April 15th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Pics of Maggie's Garden would be great -- and helpful for considering what we might want to do there for JB's Memorial.

lofter1
April 15th, 2006, 11:49 AM
Here's some info on "Maggie's Garden" from NYRP (http://www.nyrp.org/news_pr.htm#para0) :

President Bill Clinton and Bette Midler Dedicate Newly Restored Community Garden in Harlem

NEW YORK - For more than 30 years Harlem resident Maggie Burnett has grown tomatoes, bell peppers and squash in a 35 ft. by 100 ft. lot on West 149th Street between Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue. In good times she has worked alongside neighbors; in periods like the mid-1970s she labored alone even as the block experienced two and three drug-related homicides a week.

On Friday, September 20, 2002, at 11 a.m., Ms. Burnett will be joined by honored guest President Bill Clinton and Bette Midler, founder of the not-for-profit New York Restoration Project, in a ribbon-cutting ceremony to dedicate this same garden space, now newly restored and renamed Maggie's Garden in her honor.

In 1999, Mayor Rudolph Giuliani vowed to sell more than a hundred city-owned community gardens, including 546 West 149th Street. A consortium of groups—including NYRP and Bette Midler—stepped forward to prevent this divestiture of green, open spaces in neighborhoods with precious few parks. It was at this moment that NYRP founded the New York Garden Trust as a subsidiary to hold title to and preserve 50 of these gardens. Maggie's Garden is the first of the crop to receive full capital renovation.

New pathways, planting beds, a full planting scheme and structural elements, including raised planters, which are more accessible to seniors, a new steel picket fence, an arbor, seating areas, a barbecue pit, and, perhaps most importantly, a dedicated water source-all have been provided in a private-public partnership led by The Brownstone Family Foundation, which contributed $250,000 to the Trust to endow Maggie's Garden in perpetuity. Through a grant from the New York State Council on the Arts, and its Architecture, Planning & Design Program, the noted landscape designer Billie Cohen was retained to participate in a community planning program and execute a plan. A federal program, AmeriCorps, provided a crew of skilled workers to implement the plan.

"Maggie's Garden is testimony to exponential power of people working together," says Ms. Midler. "It has taken the city, state and federal government, a non-profit organization, a group of devoted New Yorkers --and, not least, one determined woman—to produce this garden."

"I am proud to see this success story emerge in a neighborhood that has played such a large role in the history and culture of our nation, a neighborhood I have come to call my own," says President Clinton. "And, of course, I am extremely gratified to learn that young adults from the AmeriCorps program have played a key role in improving this block. When I signed the National and Community Service Trust Act of 1993, creating the Corporation for National Service and its program, AmeriCorps, I knew that good things would flow from this 'domestic Peace Corps.' But the range and extent of AmeriCorps contributions over time has been even greater than any of us could have imagined."

New York Garden Trust

The largest urban garden trust in the U.S., and the only one devoted to open spaces in low income and often neglected neighborhoods, the Trust is regarded as a model national program.

Says Brian Sahd, director, New York Garden Trust, "Building the infrastructure of a garden can be relatively quick work. But it can take much longer for communities to become active stakeholders in the care of their own neighborhood gardens. We at NYRP exist to provide the resources and long-term stability that may be necessary for these gardens to take root."

Maggie's Garden exemplifies the approach of New York Garden Trust, which NYRP President Joseph Pupello describes as "purchasing, restoring, endowing and maintaining gardens for sustained community use."

Says Mr. Pupello, "By the time that NYRP stepped in to help, Maggie Burnett had already provided the leadership to transform a litter-strewn vacant lot into a green garden. We at NYRP provided the resources, advice, materials, work power, and educational programs to create the garden we see today, and to ensure its long-term protection."

History of Maggie's Garden

The history of Maggie's Garden is emblematic of the more than 600 community gardens in the New York City. Located in a Harlem neighborhood known as "Sugar Hill" for the comfortable life enjoyed by its middle- and upper-middle class Black families, the lot was cleared in the mid-1970s, when the city demolished a decaying and drug-trafficked brownstone. Cleo Anniston, an elderly widow who lived on the block, was able to envision a green garden in the rubble-strewn lot left in the wake of demolition and, with her young friend Maggie Burnett, began to create it.

In the 1980s, the West 149th Street garden became a symbol of community resolve when it was adopted as a community garden, and, along with hundreds of similar spaces around the city, was designated a "Green Thumb Garden" under a city program established to provide support from community gardens located on city-owned property. The status quo persisted throughout the 1980s, as low property values and a stable housing market kept development pressure low. But in the 1990s, pressure to build or generate revenue from city-owned lots became intense.

"They say New Yorkers don't have memories, but don't tell that to Maggie Burnett," says Bette Midler. "Maggie and her neighbors remember the lives of so many fellow New Yorkers, now deceased, through the labors they donated to the West 149th Street garden. Community gardens are often places of continuity in otherwise quick-paced city lives."

New York Restoration Project

Bette Midler publicly launched the NYRP in 1995 in Fort Washington Park to carry out her dream of a cleaner, more beautiful New York. NYRP builds lasting partnerships between public and private sector organizations in order to revitalize communities, striving to protect precious public resources and identify the problems associated with their neglect.

Since 1995, aside from the work it accomplishes through the New York Garden Trust, NYRP has removed more than 75,000 tons of debris from neglected sites around the city; reclaimed 375 acres of parkland throughout the city; created Swindler Cove, a new park and floating boathouse along the Harlem River that will open next spring; served more than 1,600 students a year with environmental education programs; opened the New Leaf Cafe in Fort Tryon Park as a way to generate income for city parks through concessions; and created and implemented a new set of standards for the Adopt-A-Highway program along the Henry Hudson Parkway.

lofter1
April 15th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Some pics of Maggie's Garden (at the right of the page) HERE (http://www.dig-itmag.com/features/lifegarden_story/125_0_6_0_M/)

BrooklynRider
April 15th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Thanks Lofter1. I'm still on vacation and seeing double from a rather celebratory evening last night. I'll check in again after I walk off the buzz. Great work on the info.

lofter1
April 15th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Seems you and Fabrizio (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93101&postcount=95) are of the same mind ;)

Gulcrapek
April 15th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I got pictures of this garden.... it's really pretty beautiful. But I don't know how we could put in something here without ruining the aesthetics of the place. I did find a small vacant lot between 2 brownstone-type buildings that seems to be about the size of Maggie's, maybe a little smaller. It could be on Madison Ave and 131st, I'll post the pics later.

BrooklynRider
April 15th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I think we need to keep working with NYRP and roll with their suggestions. Funding will determine scope. If our funding allows us to do something meaningful elsewhere, we discuss it with NYRP and report back to the team. I appreciate that you found a place that we can suggest to them. Can you give us exact location? We wouldn't want to execute our project in a lot that is not available for a community garden and find it demolished. NYRP is giving us permanent garden locations.

I am sure their our gardens that have this type of protection, however it is our request to stayt in Harlem. It does seem that those gardens have been retored by NYRP. The other option is to go where our work would make a bigger impact, but that could be outside of a meaningful radius from the site of the incident. Any ideas or thoughts on this?

lofter1
April 15th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but we should all realize the high cost of starting a garden from scratch. Hopefully we will raise a bucketful of cash for JB, but I think it's good to keep things in perspective -- if for no other reason than so we don't get ahead of ourselves and end up with disappointment on our end.

Community Garden spaces were under seige from the City / Developers a few years back and it was largely the efforts of Bette & NYRP that kept many of these lots from being taken away and developed. NYRP knows how to make things happen -- and they know how to raise big bucks -- so our partnership with NYRP is really important.

We can discuss this in more depth at the preliminary meeting on Monday.

You might want to look HERE (https://www.nyrp.org/joingive_naming.htm) to see some of the costs that NYRP lists -- including "Naming Rights" for a Community Garden @ $250,000.00!!

One of the first things that NYRP does when they renovate a garden space is to get water supply put in -- a project which can easily run into tens of thousands of dollars (tying into the City the water system, metering, plumbing within the garden, etc.).

Again I'm just doing the "reality check" thing -- and do NOT want to dissuade anyone from working to create something that will honor JB in the best way.

Gulcrapek
April 15th, 2006, 11:38 PM
The lot in question is not a vacant lot (sorry for the mistake), it had a few plantings and is used for something. There's the problem of getting the owner to donate the lot.. which is kind of unfair to him/her as they could get a lot of money for it through sale to a developer. So yeah it's probably a bad idea.

These are not meant to be pretty pictures so please excuse the crappiness..

Walls - possible sites for the mural. I don't know the cross streets, I forgot to bring a pen (bleh). All of the 125th ones are between Amsterdam and Park.

On 125th heading east

1)
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/5997/img19266yr.th.jpg (http://img125.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img19266yr.jpg)

2) http://img238.imageshack.us/img238/8765/img19229qu.th.jpg (http://img238.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img19229qu.jpg)

3) http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/796/img19320rg.th.jpg (http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img19320rg.jpg)

4) http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/3382/img19270bo.th.jpg (http://img91.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img19270bo.jpg)

Park @ 125th - there are a few of these between the columns of the building

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/4442/img19317pt.th.jpg (http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img19317pt.jpg)

This might be obscured by a new building

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/2196/img19333me.th.jpg (http://img58.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img19333me.jpg)

I'm not sure of the locations of these, they are all in between Park and St. Nicholas and between 126th and 135th.

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/796/img19320rg.th.jpg (http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img19320rg.jpg)

http://img58.imageshack.us/img58/8048/img19340tn.th.jpg (http://img58.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img19340tn.jpg)

http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/5121/img19383lc.th.jpg (http://img110.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img19383lc.jpg)

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/1804/img19411vy.th.jpg (http://img154.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img19411vy.jpg)

There are afew more places, but they're too large for Imageshack, I'll resize them and post. I also have to rotate a few.

Maggie's Garden - in next post, hit image limit

Plus one I have to rotate, be back soon.

Gulcrapek
April 16th, 2006, 12:08 AM
Another wall

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2373/img19354rm.th.jpg (http://img87.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img19354rm.jpg)

I have a picture of an interesting garden/mystery place, but imageshack won't take it, maybe I could send it to someone?

Maggie's Garden

http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/7857/img19486eg.th.jpg (http://img55.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img19486eg.jpg)

Imageshack won't give the thumbnail code for this one

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/9273/img19498gu.jpg

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/6296/img19505us.th.jpg (http://img101.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img19505us.jpg)

http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/4981/img19522xe.th.jpg (http://img103.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img19522xe.jpg)

I also have a little video of the place but I doubt I can put that on imageshack...

lofter1
April 16th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Thanks for the pics.

It looks like the gate was locked for you, as well ...

krulltime
April 16th, 2006, 02:40 AM
Thanks for those photos Gulcrapek! :)

krulltime
April 16th, 2006, 02:41 AM
Thanks for those photos Gulcrapek! :)

MidtownGuy
April 16th, 2006, 01:12 PM
From what I read, the gardens are only required to be open 5 hours per week. Seems like they should be open a bit more than that.

lofter1
April 16th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Good to know that ^^

ablarc
April 16th, 2006, 02:34 PM
So...to keep it nice, they have to keep folks out?

Could we get them to extend the hours, or would that lead to its destruction?

lofter1
April 16th, 2006, 03:00 PM
This is something that needs to be discussed in the meeting w/ NYRP.

BrooklynRider
April 16th, 2006, 08:04 PM
I agree with Lofter. These gardens need oversight when they are open. As you can see, this one is located between buildings and can be over run with precisely the types of people who attacked JB if left unattended. Let us report back to you all on Friday.

On another note...

No new contributions today. If you have further suggestions as to how we can reach into our community and other New York and online communities, please post here. Plan one was a pretty good success. We need plan two.

I also encourage members to contact members you be friendly with in the forums, whose names do not yet appear on the project team. I know our international members have their hands tied an will give us a good boost. A couple of other members and a new member have pledged their support - but the pledge period is over. I politely and diplomatically asked them to step up. Money buys us scope. Our vision is big. Big Vision = Big Money. The message must get out there.

BrooklynRider
April 16th, 2006, 08:19 PM
This might be something we need to discuss and which I believe we will all agree is Edward's to decide, but...

Is it possible to have some sort of message in the "JB announcement" at the top of each forum page that asks members to help us reach our memorial fund raising goal? Perhaps, we can link back to a "how to contribute" post that includes asking them to email us and report.

Please add your voice to this discussion.

ablarc
April 16th, 2006, 09:34 PM
FROM BRider "Please add your voice to this discussion." I did....and think it was deleted?

Was my message about the nabe being "unsafe" deleted. If yes, and you do not want to hear any negatives....let me know.
Are you sure? May be just mislaid. No one here is into censorship or suppressing information.

The dangers of the neighborhood (and the garden being often closed) needs to be addressed.
Indeed.

Merry
April 16th, 2006, 10:28 PM
No new contributions today....I know our international members have their hands tied an will give us a good boost.

Please be reassured, BrooklynRider, that I'm champing at the bit to make my donation.

Peace, strength and love to you. You're doing wonderful things here, and you're doing them wonderfully well, and it WILL all come together.

infoshare
April 16th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Are you sure? May be just mislaid. No one here is into censorship or suppressing information.

Sorry,,,,I deleted myself: had second thoughts about being too negative!:mad:

I realize the memorial needs to be in harlem,,,,so therefore it HAS to be in a
"not too safe" nabe....so be it!

Thanks ABLarc for looking out:)

ablarc
April 16th, 2006, 10:52 PM
I deleted myself
That's a relief.

BrooklynRider
April 17th, 2006, 05:56 PM
Please be reassured, BrooklynRider, that I'm champing at the bit to make my donation.

Hi Merry,

This is indeed frustrating.

I have spoke with NYRP today and the inability to accept international donations has not yet been fixed. If you would like, please call Susan Madden, Director of Development for NYRP at (212) 333-2552, during the hours of 9AM to 5PM Eastern Standard Time (U.S.) and she can take your contribution via phone. I know you folks will push us closer to $2000 - or utilize the fax or mail options previously posted in this thread. I have been assured that fax communications are secure and delivered immediately upon receipt by NYRP.

BrooklynRider
April 17th, 2006, 11:59 PM
A meeting was just concluded with Schadenfrau, Lofter1, Schad's Boyfriend and myself.

This is the current status of our project:

1) J.B.'s father and sister remain in mourning and have made no comments, to the best of our knowledge, on this project. Please know it will be planned and executed with the utmost dignity and with a great sensitivity to the family. However, I am sharing this snip from an email we received today.

"I am not a member of Wired New York Forum, but as a member of JB's family, I want to support your wonderful effort in memory of this wonderful young man. I thank all the members of the Forum who have been contributing with their kind thoughts, memories, and love for JB. I have contributed anonymously."

2) A number of inspections have been made of Maggie's Garden by forum members. We believe we can provide service to the garden, provide enhancements and install a memorial with adequate funding. In addition, should we find limitations in Maggie's Garden, we have identified three City Park areas that might provide us with opportunities to realize our vision and we will propose them to NYRP.

3) We will be requesting a meeting with the managers of Maggie's Garden including Maggie herself to ensure we all share the same enthusiasm for what we envision.

4) Politicians have been speaking out on this tragedy. VOLUNTEER REQUEST: Can a forum member or members please research for me politicians representing the area of 125th Street and Park Ave. I need city council members, state assemblymen, state senators, as well as U.S. Senators and Congressmen from the U.S. House of Representatives. If they are going to be talking about it, we are going to ask them to put their money where theur mouth is and support us. Please identify yourself if you can help with this research project.

5) We have issued a message to the family via the individual who sent us the email in item #1. We have asked that they contact us if they would like a WiredNewYork Remembrance CD of JBs posts. If the decide they do, the TLOZ Quote project will expand considerably as we arrange TLOZ's post in a logical and accessible format for his Dad and Sister. Please consider offering your assistance on this. It is a future project not requiring action at this time, but one we will want to execute quickly, but carefully if we receive the nod.

6) NYU students are beginning to find their way to us. We have a volunteer from the campus (a classmate of JBs) ready to leaflet the campus with Memorial Project Information. In addition, a specific student association has expressed interest in making a donation as well. This very encouraging as we seek to drive funding up. We will need to get flyers printed ASAP for distribution. Can team members check out Jasonik's design and reread the text (not the quote - which will remain). I want to make sure it is appropriate and clear for students looking to donate. We must have "Please visit www.wirednewyork.com listed on there." Please let me know if you can or have done this.

7) I have message out to friends of mine in the printing business seeing if we can get in-kind donations for two vinyl project banners. If anyone one else has contacts that might be helpful, please let me know!

8) Lofter1 has collaborated with Jasonik on plans for a memorial plaque. We have a goodunderstand of noth etched granite and raised brass plaques and costs. We go into our meeting with NYRP very educated on costs and variations and will do our utmost to ensure we get a meaningful memorial plaque made and placed in the garden. We will report back on this item after the meeting.

9) Mural - Because our fundraising has been via NYRP, we need to determine if a mural would be conered by these funds if a NYRP garden cannot be found as a site. We must be prepared to undertake this ourselves. It would be helpful if resourceful forum members can step up and volunteer to contact paint suppliers (KMART? Target? Janovic? Lowes? etc) to see if we can get paint and painting supplies donated in JB's name. Also, I think it must be noted that, no matter how beautiful and perfectly executed this mural is, it will sooner or later become a target for graffiti artists and taggers. Does this change our stated desire to pursue this facet of the memorial? I'd like opinions and comments please.

10) It seems the arraignment of the alleged perpetrators of this crime will be on the day we have scheduled for our project. It could offer us some excellent media coverage as the news outlets usually like to balance good and unpleasant news. We are exploring the impact and how to leverage to get coverage.

11) I need to put the possibility out there that, although our beautification and planting project will be in May - planting season, we might have to push backon a plaque dedication date to accomodate the plaque makers. We discussed doing this on JBs birthday in November - but have made no firm plans. NYRP might have stronger connections to meet a May 13th event date.

We're doing a great job as we close out the first seven days since we announced the NYRP collaboration. Please continue to check this thread, add your voice and comments, provide advice and volunteer.

Schad / Lofter1 if I overlooked anything or you wish to add from our meeting, please do.

Thank you all for your sustained interest and involvement.

Rob
(BrooklynRider)

lofter1
April 18th, 2006, 01:22 AM
NY1 reports that the four suspects were charged today. Next court date is April 27.

Story HERE (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93507&postcount=199)

BPC
April 18th, 2006, 02:45 AM
VOLUNTEER REQUEST: Can a forum member or members please research for me politicians representing the area of 125th Street and Park Ave. I need city council members, state assemblymen, state senators, as well as U.S. Senators and Congressmen from the U.S. House of Representatives. If they are going to be talking about it, we are going to ask them to put their money where theur mouth is and support us. Please identify yourself if you can help with this research project.

US:
Senators Chuck Schumer and Hillary Clinton
Congressman Charles Rangel

NYS:
Governor George Pataki
Senator David Paterson
Assemblyman Adam Clayton Powell, IV

NYC:
Mayor Mike Bloomberg
Borough President Scott Stringer
City Council Member [either] Melissa Mark Viverito or Inez Dickens
[it's right on the border and the City Council map sucks]

Good luck with this crew.

lofter1
April 18th, 2006, 02:58 AM
The NY TIMES lists the following as being with Al Sharpton / National Action Network at the Press Conference last Saturday:

Also at the news conference were Councilwoman Melissa Mark-Viverito, former Councilman Bill Perkins, and Charles King, a candidate for state attorney general.

Article HERE (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=93356&postcount=195)

BrooklynRider
April 18th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Ask and you shall receive.

I have received a generous in-kind donation from a local printer to create two (2) 2' x 3' banners for our project to hang on the garden fence, so the community is aware of our efforts on project day. One will be the moving banner created by Jasonik and included on our project flyer. I have directed that until we decide on the appropriate quote, I would like Jasonik to move forward with the quote cited by BPC in the TLOZ Quote Project thread. We want a statement from him about New York "community" to be displayed The other will be a banner with the New York Restoration Project logo and our, as yet to be designed, "WiredNewYork.com Forum Community" banner.

WE ARE SEARCHING FOR A GRAPHIC DESIGNER FOR THE "WIREDNEWYORK.COM FORUM COMMUNITY" LOGO. Jasonik has done a magnificient job, but I am hoping we might get others involved and invested in this project as well. IF YOU CAN OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO CAN HELP PLEASE IDENTIFY YOURSELF.

Merry
April 19th, 2006, 02:45 AM
Hi Merry,

This is indeed frustrating.

I have spoke with NYRP today and the inability to accept international donations has not yet been fixed. If you would like, please call Susan Madden, Director of Development for NYRP at (212) 333-2552, during the hours of 9AM to 5PM Eastern Standard Time (U.S.) and she can take your contribution via phone. I know you folks will push us closer to $2000 - or utilize the fax or mail options previously posted in this thread. I have been assured that fax communications are secure and delivered immediately upon receipt by NYRP.

Well, after several anxious days, I just didn't want to wait any longer. I have (I think/hope) now, not before time, made my donation by fax. I've asked the NYRP for confirmation but I've sent an e-mail to the HehmanMemorialFund e-mail address in anticipation.

BrooklynRider
April 20th, 2006, 09:35 PM
I know many of you are anxious to hear our about our meeting today with New York Restoration Project. I am going to cede the floor on reporting about the meeting to Lofter1, who was a brilliant, dilplomatic and charming counter balance to my nervous, excited and chatterbox style. We made a pretty good team it seems. Thank you to Schadenfrau for pre-planning with us, although the NYRP rescheduling made it impossible for her to attend. Anyway, we have news to report.

On another front, I had a phone conversation today with a relative of JB to discuss today's meeting and its scope and there is great enthusiasm for the goal and spirit of what we are doing. We have had and continue to have no direct communication with JBs father and sister who are grieving and remain in mourning. We have had family members visit us and it is fair to say we should expect more this weekend - possibly JBs sister. We really need to keep our hearts open to them. As bad as we can imagine this being for JBs family my impression is that it is beyond what any of us could imagine or bear.

The flyers graciously created by Jasonik and printed by Deimos have been received with great enthusiasm by NYU students and we hope they generate the funding our new goal requires. A new flyer will be created with new focus and verve, so please stay tuned.

We continue to pursue publicity for our project. The P.R. for this project will become more finessed now that we have a definitive goal and set parameters. I had an extensive interview with the Village Voice last evening that resumed earlier this evening, so we hope to see an article in next week's edition. They are asking for donation totals, so please continue to promote this endeavor to all your friends and relatives.

Generally, my personal community service activities are focused on my role as a volunteer coordinator and producer of quarterly Workshops for a downtown non-profit that provides support and services to people who have life-threatening illnesses, their caregivers and people dealing with grief and loss. As it happens, in the midst of this tragedy and our response I have also been working toward and coordinating for our first workshop of 2006 this coming weekend. It is exectly what I need to re-energize for our next big push. So, I will not be online this weekend other than to periodically check our HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com email address and respond to any inquiries there.

We should all be very proud of our efforts and our results thus far. Oh, and today I wore a suit for JB (so did Lofter1) - ladies and gentlemen of the forum, we represented WNY in style.

Please watch for Lofter1's report here and in the open Forum Issues "JB Memorial Moving Forward" thread. The next steps are going to be a real group effot.

Have a peace-filled weekend.

Schadenfrau
April 20th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the update, BR. I apologize again for not being able to make it.

lofter1
April 20th, 2006, 09:58 PM
Rob and I met today at NYRP offices with Susan Madden (Director of Development), Brian Sahd (VP Community Outreach) and William Curtis-Bey (Manhattan District Garden Manager) and Rob asked that I post an initial up-date while he catches up on some other business. Sorry if this goes on a bit too long but there is a lot of good news ...

The Meeting

After talking about JB and his intense passion for NYC some ideas came forward for a great way to memorialize JB. The folks at NYRP are very impressed with the money and commitment that our community has brought forth so far and they have no doubt that we will exceed the goal we previously discussed (the specifics about the money end of things I'll leave to Rob). Our fundraising gives us the opportunity to not only help to create a more beautiful spot at Maggie's Garden in memory of JB but also to help the youth of the Northern Manhattan / South Bronx in a more long-term way.

By raising our fundraising goal a notch or two the thought is to create something along the lines of the JB Hehman Memorial Endowment for Urban Environmental Education (please don't hold me to that phrase!). This type of educational outreach is something with which NYRP has had great success; please take the time to read more about their programs & efforts:

Environmental Education and Recreational Programs (http://www.nyrp.org/nyrpprograms_recreational.htm)

Community Programs (http://www.nyrp.org/nyrpprograms_community.htm)

The Endowment Fund

During our meeting it became apparent that such an Endowment Fund could be a great vehicle to fulfill some of JB's interests regarding Urban Planning and Community Enrichment. Should we meet our goal to create this Endowment NYRP would make a "gift" of plants that our volunteers will be planting on May 13, so in essence all of our fund-raising would be used to feed JB's Endowment Fund. That makes for a great package -- and a terrific "perpetual" Memorial to JB!!

This would also create the opportunity to include on the NYRP website information on JB via the JB Hehman Endowment Fund -- so rather than only a small plaque in a garden (more on that below) JB's spirit and ideas would be available to a far wider audience (and solves some of the problem about limited access to the Garden).

The Plaque

NYRP has a standard patinated plaque that they use for their gardens. We showed them our ideas for JB's plaque (based on Jasonik's original). Then we discussed the possibility of creating some thing more personal to honor JB. In the end it was agreed that the best way to go would be to include text from JB on one of the NYRP plaques. Due to the size we are limited to a small amount of text (about 30 words including JB's name & info, the text and an acknowledgement (something along the line of "Presented by the Friends & Community of www.wirednewyork.com (http://www.wirednewyork.com)" ).

So -- we need to come to agreement on the text and submit that to NYRP (they will take care of all details of manufacturing the plaque). They have given a "due date" for the text of May 1 if we want it to be ready for installation on the planting day May 13.

"Maggie's Garden"

This weekend kicks off Gardening Month -- plus Saturday is Earth Day. At this point we know for sure that Maggie will have the garden open on Sunday from 11 AM - 2PM and then again from 5PM - 7PM (she needs that mid-afternoon break to go home and watch the Yankees!). We should have info on the Saturday "open" times by mid-day Friday. So if you're up that way go by and take a peak -- it's a beautiful spot. And no doubt Maggie would be thrilled to say "Hi". (FYI: General NYC Community Garden policy is that a garden should be open 10 hours / week during the "season" -- and the "season is just beginning).

The Planting Day at "Maggie's Garden"

Saturday May 13 from 10 AM - 12 Noon is when the planting will take place. WE will need to enlist & organize VOLUNTEERS -- so clear your calendars!! The idea is to prepare some of the beds (Maggie has gotten a head start on us and started turning some of the beds -- I hear she grows some great tomatoes!) and PLANT.

William will be our leader in this effort and he's checking with Maggie to see exactly what she might want planted. Most likely we will be planting annual flowers, some vines along the back fence to go with the Wysteria & other viness that are already there -- as well as some new perennial grasses in the rear area. If all goes as planned on that day we will also plant a large flowering tree in the last remaining open space near the rear of the garden -- and this is where JB's plaque will be installed.

That's about it for now.

No doubt there are questions. Feel free to reply.

Rob will be giving more details soon.

BrooklynRider
April 20th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Following up Lofter's post above, we are pushing forward to meet the challenge from NYRP of creating the JB Hehman Endowment for Environmental Education.

Our goal is $10,000. We can do this. I will write a press release over the weekend and create an appeal letter for any individual's who wish to solicit family, friends and, especially, employers. I am happy to report than my employer responded by contributing double my donation. I encourage everyone to simply "ask."

$10,000 WE CAN DO THIS.

We raised $2600 in five days.

This will allow JBs spirit to touch inner-city children through education. The envoronmental education programs are particularly aimed at getting minority youth to focus, gain knowledge and interest in earth sciences. Statistically, this is an area of education not typically pursued by minorities. This endowment can create programs in JBs name with the endowment operating in perpetuity. It would also be a fund to which individuals could contribute annually to grow the fund or to contribute to in honor or memory of a loved one.

BrooklynRider
April 20th, 2006, 10:42 PM
All Project Team Members,

While reading newspapers this weekend, both online and hard copy, please note reporters covering New York City human interest stories, reporters continuing coverage of JBs death and the prosecution of his assailants, or reporters you recognize who seem to report about what is happening "on the street."

This is going to be a full-court press for extensive coverage. I think the passion and spirit of what we are doing needs to find expression in the reports. Without out it, we are just panhandling.

Please report reporters & newspapers / news outlets.

BrooklynRider
April 22nd, 2006, 04:43 PM
Hello Friends-

I sent out what passes for a press release from a passionate, but inexperienced public relations novice. I am doing all I can think of to get our message out and create a lasting endowment in JB's name. This is our community's project and we need the wider New York City real world as well as others who are fed up with senseless violence to join this cause. Many of us at WiredNewYork have already backed up our passion for remembering JB with action or funding for this project. It is a success regardless of whether we hit $10,000 or not.

With that said, working within and coordinating a virtual community is sort of like herding cats. We're dealing with intelligent beings who have diverse interests, lifestyles, priorities and direction. Yet, this would not be called the WiredNewYork "Community" if I could not stand in this virtual town square and ask for your help.

I need help.

However good or effective our press release today was regarding our expanded scope and intention to create a JB Hehman Endowment for Environmental Education, it would create a sense of community urgency and interest if everyone could write their own "letter to the editor" to send to the NY Dailies as well as any local publications in your area. Newspapers respond to reader mail and story suggestions. I am on virtual bended knee asking you each to create a letter to the editor endorsing this project and its mission. Please convey the passion of our community for this project and our desire to involve other New yorkers who want to channel their reaction to this incident into something constructive.

They have heard from me - repeatedly. I think I am coming across as one extremely passionate voice in the wilderness. It is only a hunch, but I think that if they hear from us in letters, the curiousity will be aroused and this might turn into a "human interest" story in which the emotion as well as the details of the project can be equally covered. It is our passionate response that, for me, makes this project so interesting, exciting, unique, and newsworthy. And, of course, the fact that we would not recognize each other if we were all locked in the same room.

So thre it is. I need and I am asking for your help. A bunch of us are working on the project but 50 peole calling and writing to the papers has more effect than one person. Write one letter and send it to every paper you can.

We can have an absolutely lovely memorial project with the money so generously given thus far. We can create a lasting and giving memorial that will not only educate the youth of upper Manhattan, but also continuously keep J.B. Hehman's name and spirit alive for years and decades to come.

It has been an honor to work with and on behalf of this community thus far. "Fear" and "Excitement" - they feel the same in my body. Fear will paralyze, while excitement will mobilize.

Let's all get excited.

Warm regards-

BrooklynRider (Rob)

Citytect
April 23rd, 2006, 03:07 AM
Sure thing BrooklynRider. I'll write a letter tomorrow.

Perhaps we should put together a list of the newspapers' addresses. I think if we post that information here more people will be able to contact more papers... Here are a few:

New York Times
Letters to the Editor
229 W. 43rd St.
New York, NY 10036
212-556-1831
letters@nytimes.com

New York Daily News
Voice of the People
450 W. 33rd St.
New York, NY 10001
212-210-2100
voicers@edit.nydailynews.com

New York Post
To the Editor
1211 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036
212-930-8000
letters@nypost.com

New York Observer
To the Editor
915 Broadway, 9th Floor
New York, NY 10010
212-755-2400
editorial@observer.com

What are some others?

Merry
April 23rd, 2006, 05:20 AM
The Village Voice
36 Cooper Square
New York, NY 10003
http://www.villagevoice.com/aboutus/index.php?page=contact

Washington Square News
7 E. 12th St. Suite 800
New York, NY 10003
http://www.nyunews.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/01/29/43dc3333cce3d

Letters Editor,
am New York,
330 W. 34th Street,
New York, NY 10001
am-letters@am-ny.com
http://www.amny.com/news/opinion/

Columbia Spectator
2875 Broadway, 3rd Floor
New York City, NY 10025
spectator@columbia.edu
http://spc.columbiaspectator.com/index.php?p=3

ManhattanKnight
April 23rd, 2006, 08:34 AM
The Villager
487 Greenwich St.,
Suite 6A | New York, NY 10013
news@thevillager.com

This newspaper has been covering JB's death, most recently:

http://www.thevillager.com/villager_155/policeblotter.html

BrooklynRider
April 23rd, 2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks everyone. I've included all the addresses you provided me. We have a press list with over 30 email addresses. For folks living outside of New York, I have posted our press release in the "Press" thread. If you want to to take a shot and writing a letter and including the press release to your local papers to see ifthey are intrgigued enough by what we are trying to do to run this story, no harm in trying.

Please keep posting new contacts and email addresses as you find them. We have 20 days left and, if I have to get a press release in these inboxes daily to get attention, I will.

I can't imagine us working any harder, but the important thing now is not to lose steam. This train is leaving the station in 20 days and it is our collective job to go out and get EVERYONE we know on board! (Jeez - one day someone is going to quote that last sentence to silence me in some untold thread of the future.)

Onward!

Merry
April 23rd, 2006, 11:36 AM
An article in the NYT:

April 18, 2006

NEW YORK

MANHATTAN: NO RELEASE FOR TEENAGERS A Family Court judge yesterday refused to release four teenagers accused of trying to rob a New York University student in Harlem and then chasing him into the path of a car, which struck and killed him. The decision by Judge Robert Stolz came after the prosecutor, Laurie T. Smith, said that one of the boys had told the police that "he doesn't do robberies for money but for entertainment." Judge Stolz said the robbery of the student, Broderick J. Hehman, appeared to be premeditated, and that returning the boys to their homes before trial would be "contrary to their best interests" and those of the community. The defendants — Denzell Fell, 13; Humberto Guzman, 13; Clarence Hassan Mayfield, 15; and Andre Johnson, 15 — were arraigned on charges of felony murder, criminally negligent homicide, manslaughter, attempted robbery and gang assault. They denied the charges. ANEMONA HARTOCOLLIS (NYT)

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/18/nyregion/18mbrfs.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

This is what I sent to the New York Times (EDIT: It wasn't easy adhering to the 150-word restriction required by the NYT):

Re: “No Release for Teenagers” (Metro Briefing, April 18)

I would like to share how this story affected me. I live in Australia. Upon reading of “JB’s” tragic death on the WiredNewYork on-line forum, I was initially very sad. Then something inspirational happened. An undefinable but palpable emotional energy started to emanate from the safe anonymity of our cyber community. We have progressed from shock and outrage and pain to forge a connection that is leading to a rejuvenating and life-affirming outcome. JB wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.

I really ache to be in New York to reinforce my remote connection with the efforts and energies of our on-line community. But I urge residents to engage and empower one another to support us in building on JB’s passion for his city and be guided by his wisdom and compassion in a tangible way for the betterment of everyone.

Merry
April 24th, 2006, 12:07 AM
NY Metro
44 Wall Street
New York, NY 100005
212-952-1500
http://ny.metro.us/metro/yourturn

BrooklynRider
April 24th, 2006, 03:34 PM
I have been contacted by one of JB Hehman's professor's at NYU who wanted to know more about the project. She is very interested as are the students. She is just trying to wrap her mind around the scope of what we are doing and why we are doing it. She said she thinks it sounds wonderful and mentioned taking up a collection next week before this session ends.

I only had two private conversations with JB. One was after his mother died and I discussed a place I volunteer at that deals with grief and loss called Friends In Deed. The other was a conversation about the movie and play "Rent" as the premiere was coming up in December and we were both trying to get tickets. The only two conversations I had with him personally, "Rent" and "Friends In Deed."

After a long weekend of volunteer work interspersed with trying to blitz the media about our project, I checked our email today and saw no notices of contributions. I sat at my desk, said a little prayer for some sign - anything - that we are headed the right way. The phone rang ten minutes later. It was a person offering me two tickets to a 10th Anniversary performance of Rent to benefit Friends in Deed. Thank you JB!!

I am telling you that as improbable as this idea might have seen, we are going to do this. There is no doubt in my mind. This project is going to happen!

MidtownGuy
April 25th, 2006, 02:55 PM
It was a person offering me two tickets to a 10th Anniversary performance of Rent to benefit Friends in Deed. Thank you JB!!

JB, we love you. I truly believe that your spirit is with us.

For me, the above is proof positive, if I ever doubted it one bit.

BrooklynRider
April 25th, 2006, 06:20 PM
We have now raised $3,110 from 41 donors.

A big donor to push us up within reach....

BrooklynRider
April 26th, 2006, 06:29 PM
1) I talked with the Village Voice reporter this morning and he stated that info about our project will appear in his upcoming report on East Harlem. He is reporting on the whole neighborhood, the death of JB, and will report our reaction and about the project. We will not be the focus of the article, but he did say we are in it. We talked for probably 90 minutes in the course of two calls, so I hope info on the project does not get edited down to one sentence.

2) After struggling to get emails through, I was finally able to provide Professor Haff at NYU with more detailed data today on the project, its genesis and objectives. She still appears into this and they did raise $200+ in an informal drive over 24 hours. That drive will continue and, hopefully with the added info, bring in more money.

3) We had a forum member working on a corporate donation that would have put us in reach of the $10,000. That dollar value did not materialize, despite best efforts from our supporter. However, we did manage to get a generous donation from that company anyway (but it was a fraction of what we hoped for).

It is still possible for us to hit our $10K mark. But, the $5K goal needs to be behind us first. I think I've pressed all the buttons in the forum community I can reasonably do. If anyone else has ideas, let me know.

I'm thinking that I'll post this update in the public forum and see if it garners any reaction. Hopefully those NYU students learning about this will read this and help us out. Any thoughts out there?

BrooklynRider
April 26th, 2006, 06:43 PM
On the very positive side, it seems that 50% of our donors are from outside the WNY community. That's very encouraging.

lofter1
April 26th, 2006, 07:32 PM
It is still possible for us to hit our $10K mark. But, the $5K goal needs to be behind us first. I think I've pressed all the buttons in the forum community I can reasonably do. If anyone else has ideas, let me know.
Good work, BR. All in all good that is good news.

One idea: Have we posted an appeal on wny specifically for $10 donation from each poster / visitor?

What do you think about a SHORT post -- possibly in a new DONATIONS thread or on the MAIN page -- asking just for that: $10 PLEASE (with links / info on how to Donate)

My sense is that right now we have too many threads, with too much info --and those who come here out of curiosity / interest about JB's Memorial get lost in all the posts / information.

For example this post on the Main JB page still lists the Family Garden along with Maggie's Garden as part of the Memorial Project:

Memorial

New York Restoration Project (http://www.wirednewyork.com/jb/garden.htm)

BrooklynRider
April 27th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I actually asked for the Family Garden to be removed. I agree we have alot of "stuff" out there. I don't know if there is a way to consolidate the threads or maybe lock them all in favor of a public thread, as you suggested, called the Memorial Project. It seems we could use another thread called May 13th JB Hehman Project Volunteers. I'm having trouble keeping track of that.

Also, to other team members has everyone seen this lovely post:

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post my needs, but...

I absolutely want to get down into the city to help with planting, for up to this point I've felt rather hapless and detached from the whole tragedy up here in Boston. So, I really want to come down, BUT the earliest Amtrak train doesn't get in to Penn until 10:50, meaning it'd be all but pointless for me to come down that Saturday morning.

As a result, I'm asking all forumers for a place to stay for that Friday night. My name is Phil, I'm 23, very neat and tidy (I've lived with an utter slob before..), and unless you possess the World's Most Abrasive Personality, then we should get along perfectly, as I'm very laid back and thoughtful, and can get along with just about anybody (as Fabrizio drunkenly said, I do love all you guys, whether you know it or not). Just give me a bathroom and a floor, I'll bring a pillow and that's about as needy as I'll get.

So if you're interested and willing, send me a PM. Were it not for the time of day, I'd be there without hesistation, but circumstances have forced me otherwise.....pleeeeez help!

Can anyone help the young man out?

Libby
April 29th, 2006, 11:59 AM
I sat at my desk, said a little prayer for some sign - anything - that we are headed the right way. The phone rang ten minutes later. It was a person offering me two tickets to a 10th Anniversary performance of Rent to benefit Friends in Deed. Thank you JB!!

I have no doubt that JB is watching over this project with passion and gratitude. I think it is encouraging to receive this type of inspiration. I would also like to send my prayers and inspiration to all of you in NYC, especially BrooklynRider and Lofter1. I wish I could do more from Texas...

Libby

BrooklynRider
May 1st, 2006, 07:06 PM
Well, we are currently at $3,195 in donations. I do not believe that that number includes anything we might get from NYU, but I am not certain. I spoke with the NY Post, who were supposed to run a story on the project today. As many of you saw, stories on L'il Kim's leaking breast implants and the spritual prison ministry of serial killer David Berkowitz aka Son of Sam must have eaten into our allotted space. I'm told we are "scheduled for tomorrow." I'm pumped up for the May 13th event, but I think I've run with this ball as far as I can. I just haven't got another idea in my head. So, I'm opening it up to the project team. Now what?

lofter1
May 1st, 2006, 07:37 PM
I spoke with Brian Sahd at NYRP this morning to finalize the details for JB's plaque (NYRP had requested that we get the info in by today so that it could be ready for the May 13 planting day).

The text (not exactly sure of the style):

J. B. HEHMAN (TLOZ Link5) * 5.28.1985 - 4.4.2006

New York ...

Be to its virtues very kind,

but be to its faults a little blind.

Presented by the Friends & Community of www.wirednewyork.com

The NYRP folk remain impressed with what we've been able to achieve so far -- and continue to be very encouraging of our effort to memorialize JB.

Note: As I write this there are hundreds of thousands of people marching down Broadway -- their cheers are ringing through my ears and echoing off the walls downtown --

I can't help but think what a kick JB would have gotten out of this huge NYC parade of immigrants ...

Libby
May 1st, 2006, 08:54 PM
I just haven't got another idea in my head. So, I'm opening it up to the project team. Now what?

This event has so many facets. It is obviously first and foremost a way to honor and communicate about JB's life and love for NYC. It is also about our new world of virtual relationships... Those of you on the forum have been touched by JB, his life and his death, even though many of you never met him. This event could have the ability to send a message of peace, working together for non-violence....for forgiveness and doing something positive to counter the violence that is still so prevelant in our world. I think of JB's own words on one of his WNY posts.."The damage can never be undone…but the passage of time always offers new possibilities for redemption." Redemption can come from this.

Yesterday I was thinking about documenting this event somehow. Getting some publicity around it. More than what you have already amazingly accomplished with newpaper articles etc. I wonder if someone would be interested in doing a documentary. I know a few people in NYC that might know someone. I know a woman here in Dallas that has won awards for her documentaries. What if NYU students would be interested in doing a documentary as a class project?

What do you think? Should we pursue something like this? I realize there is not much time.

Libby

BrooklynRider
May 1st, 2006, 10:00 PM
I remain 100% committed to this project and would do anything to help us create an endowment, so JB's name could be forever attached to something positive in that community. JB has become entwined in my life. I want to give him a proper send-off from our community, whatever that might ultimately look like.

I started "all in" and I remain "all in." Sign me up for whatever it takes to get us to the top.

lofter1
May 2nd, 2006, 01:24 AM
Yesterday I was thinking about documenting this event somehow.
That could be a great idea.

I'm putting out some feelers ....

Edward
May 3rd, 2006, 01:41 PM
I mentioned earlier about sending mass email to all forum members. In addition, I have a separate email list of subscribers to Wired New York newletter (with last newsletter from July 2005). If someone can put together the newsletter, I can send it out. It should, in my opinion, be
> Not too long, shorter than the press release
> Have a brief description of the issue, with link to forum thread
> Have a request for donations and a link to wirednewyork.com/jb/memorial/ page that has instructions for donations
> Inform of the upcoming event in Maggie's Garden and has instructions for people who would like to volunteer

BrooklynRider
May 3rd, 2006, 05:40 PM
My contact for the banners needed to move immediately. I had to rely on my limited skills to get us to where we needed to be. The banners for the service day are attached below. I tried to stay true to Jasonik's original design, but incorporated a quote that might also inspire folks passing by the project. Lofter1 and I discussed flipping the heading, so JB's name would be on top and our names on the bottom. The other banner for WiredNewYork is something thrown together. It should work for our purposes. I asked for two 3ft x 5ft banners with grommets to hang them. I figure those with a couple of bunches of balloons should add a feel of celebration to the event.

BrooklynRider
May 3rd, 2006, 07:12 PM
I mentioned earlier about sending mass email to all forum members. In addition, I have a separate email list of subscribers to Wired New York newletter (with last newsletter from July 2005). If someone can put together the newsletter, I can send it out. It should, in my opinion, be
> Not too long, shorter than the press release
> Have a brief description of the issue, with link to forum thread
> Have a request for donations and a link to wirednewyork.com/jb/memorial/ page that has instructions for donations
> Inform of the upcoming event in Maggie's Garden and has instructions for people who would like to volunteer

How's this:

On April 4th, J.B. Hehman, 20, a member of our WiredNewYork forum community posting as “TLOZ Link5” died, following a senseless attack in Harlem. The forum community at WiredNewYork has reacted to this tragedy by partnering with Bette Midler’s non-profit New York Restoration Project (NYRP) to execute a two-pronged plan of action.

1) On May 13th, volunteers will converge at Maggie’s Garden, an NYRP community garden in Manhattan for a community service project to be performed in J.B. Hehman’s memory. Volunteers are needed.

2) Our members have also embarked on a fund drive to raise $10,000 to create the J.B. Hehman Endowment for Environmental Education. This endowment will fund earth science programs in community parks and gardens for under-served and minority children in Upper Manhattan.

No contribution is too small and all are greatly appreciated. For further information on these efforts and how you can help or donate please visit:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95940&postcount=132

Thank you for your support and participation. As JB Hehman posted in our forum,

"If you love the place you live, love it with the same passion that so many New Yorkers do, then you'll learn to tolerate its imperfections if it hasn't been ingrained in you already. Be to its virtues very kind, but be to its faults a little blind."

Help us remember and celebrate J.B.’s contributions to our community!

BrooklynRider
May 3rd, 2006, 07:35 PM
I spoke with the NYU Professor organizing the fund drive there. It continues and considering the tight budgets of college students, they are doing pretty good. They have not yet contributed their cash to the project and will do so next week.

ManhattanKnight
May 3rd, 2006, 08:09 PM
How's this:

On April 4th, J.B. Hehman, 20, a member of our WiredNewYork forum community posting as “TLOZ Link5” died, following a senseless attack in Harlem. The forum community at WiredNewYork has reacted to this tragedy by partnering with Bette Midler’s non-profit New York Restoration Project (NYRP) to execute a two-pronged plan of action.

1) On May 13th, volunteers will converge at Maggie’s Garden, an NYRP community garden in Manhattan for a community service project to be performed in J.B. Hehman’s memory. Volunteers are needed.

2) Our members have also embarked on a fund drive to raise $10,000 to create the J.B. Hehman Endowment for Environmental Education. This endowment will fund earth science programs in community parks and gardens for under-served and minority children in Upper Manhattan.

No contribution is too small and all are greatly appreciated. For further information on these efforts and how you can help or donate please visit:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=95940&postcount=132

Thank you for your support and participation. As JB Hehman posted in our forum,

"If you love the place you live, love it with the same passion that so many New Yorkers do, then you'll learn to tolerate its imperfections if it hasn't been ingrained in you already. Be to its virtues very kind, but be to its faults a little blind."

Help us remember and celebrate J.B.’s contributions to our community!

I'd suggest these revisions:

REPLACE PARAGRAPH 1 WITH:

On April 4th, J.B. Hehman, 20, a prolific and articulate member of our WiredNewYork forum community for 3 1/2 years (posting as “TLOZ Link5”) and a Junior at NYU majoring in Urban Studies, died from injuries he received three days earlier when he was assaulted while walking on East 125th Street, Manhattan. The forum community at WiredNewYork has reacted to this tragedy by partnering with non-profit New York Restoration Project (NYRP) to execute a two-pronged plan of action:

Maggie's Garden's location should be identified.

Finally: I compiled a 13-page-long .PDF containing 72 of the quotes from JB's 3300 forum postings that 5 members who read them all selected. I've sent it only to BR, who, I believe, has distributed some copies. It might be useful -- if others agree and the technology permits -- to make this available through a link in the mass letter as a way to further introduce JB to those who may be interested.

lofter1
May 4th, 2006, 01:48 AM
I'd suggest ...

Maggie's Garden's location should be identified.

Here's the pertinent info:

MAGGIE'S GARDEN: Web Link (http://www.nyrp.org/nygt_maggiesgarden.htm)

564 W. 149th Street

New York, NYC, 10031

Map (http://www.oasisnyc.net/OASISmap.asp?Garden=159&Action=Map+this+Garden&Address=&AddrBoro=Select+Borough&BLOCK=&LOT=&BBLBoro=Select+Borough&ZIP=&Neighborhood=Select&CD=Select&Boro=Bronx&name=OASISMap&SearchPage=CENYC&LOTS=on&GARDENS=on&GARDENS_PNT=on&GARDENS_LABELS=on&STREAMS=on&METRO_REGION_PLACE=on&STREETS=on&TRN=on&BRIDGES=on&NYC_ST_LABELS=on&PARKS=on&PLAYGROUNDS=on&STREETGREEN=on)

BrooklynRider
May 4th, 2006, 11:43 AM
A QUICK UPDATE

Thank you for your call this morning, Brian. My forum friends have talked me off the ledge, so it's back to work...

We still have an NYU professor collecting donations amonst JB's classmates, which should be sent in next week. I don't think it will be astronimical, but it will be a bump up.

JB's family is still in mourning, although I have reached out to see if we could find someone in the inner circle to contact NYU Public Affairs. With a nod from someone in that circle who understands where the family stands right now, NYU could generate a fund raising letter to the entire student, faculty and alumni system. It's been a tug-of-war with them, but the lines of communication are still open. This is still an unknown, but looks more and more unlikely as we get closer to May 13th.

Although we have been collecting donations from active members of our online community, we have not yet reached out to the full membership. "Active" is defined as posting within a recent timeframe. At the time of the initiation of this project, we had 585 active members. An email broadcast will go out in the next few days soliciting donations and volunteers from our mailing list, which exceeds 5,000 people.

Publicity: It's all a mystery to me. I thought publicity would bring in funds. I now know publicity isn't all it's cracked up to be.

If NYRP is now working to get the community involved, I am available to talk about our intent and the spirit in which we are pursuing this project. I'll be happy to join you at any meeting(s) where you think we could bring something more to the table to ensure this event is enjoyed and appreciated by all.

Finally, I told you I had a printer donating banners for this project. I would love to have the leisure time to run everything by you, but I am trying to work my job and work this project simultaneously. I'm generally a very cooperative and collaborative person, but time just requires executive decisions. I created these two banners. They will each be 3ft x 5ft. The JB memorial banner is different than what you might have seen before, as I chose a quote more apropos for the spirit of this project. I also changed around some of the header and footer text. The project banner is pretty straight forward. There is no WiredNewYork logo, so it is just a statement and your logo.

ryan
May 4th, 2006, 12:26 PM
I'm guessing someone's already mentioned this, and I've missed it - but everyone is aware that tloz was quoting Matthew Prior (http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/2554.html), right?
Be to her virtues very kind. Be to her faults a little blind.Matthew Prior (http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Matthew_Prior/)
English diplomat & poet (1664 - 1721)

Classical123
May 4th, 2006, 12:36 PM
I assumed he was quoting someone in that post (particularly because he made a point of setting it apart), but I didn't look up the individual's name.

~ Allison

BrooklynRider
May 4th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Oh well, I had to send the artwork to the printer yesterday and I didn't catch that. We'll live through it - in the context of his post it was perfect. Anyone is welcome to come back to WNY to see the post itself if they want to research exactly ho he posted the info.

BrooklynRider
May 4th, 2006, 05:11 PM
I don't want to ask who is showing up on May 13th. I do asked that, if you have a digital camera, you snap some photos to share with our out of town, out of state, and out of country contributors.

Thanks.

lofter1
May 4th, 2006, 08:06 PM
tloz was quoting Matthew Prior (http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/2554.html), right?
Trusting any failure to add a footnote on the plaque will NOT open us up to a plagiarism fight ... ;)

The plaque gang had seen and noted that source ...

BrooklynRider
May 4th, 2006, 08:45 PM
My apologies - I had a deadline.

lofter1
May 4th, 2006, 08:48 PM
No apologies necessary -- JB posted it without attribution. We quoted his post.

ManhattanKnight
May 4th, 2006, 09:17 PM
And who would have guessed that Prior lingers in the NYU curriculum? The original:

Be to her virtues very kind;
Be to her faults a little blind;
Let all her ways be unconfin'd
And clap your padlock - on her mind.

http://www.kipar.org/period-galleries/paintings/1700/prior_1705.jpg

lofter1
May 5th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Hmmm ... that bit in its entirety gives a different perspective.

I knew that the original pertained to Prior's advice on how to get along with a wife ...

If JB didn't know the full quote I've no doubt that he would be chuckling now at the "retro" flavor of it.

BrooklynRider
May 5th, 2006, 10:24 AM
The last two sentences could well be applied to his attackers.

BrooklynRider
May 5th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Not all the folks with access to these restricted TLOZ Likn5 Project forums have visited the project team thread, where we are recording "where" the support for this project is coming from. I hope you will do so, if you haven't already. I mention this because "Freebird" in the UK has just made a donation adding that country to Italy and Australia in supporting this effort. Talk about your "Coalition Forces."

MidtownGuy
May 5th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Sorry, but I have to say,
That is the CRAZIEST hairdo I have ever seen on ANYONE!! Absurd! Thank God there's zero chance of that EVER coming back in style.
The top looks like ass cheeks.lol.

lofter1
May 5th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Robert Plant (http://www.robertplant.com/) is still kicking around ...

http://www.emediawire.com/prfiles/2005/07/13/261757/VOL16002.jpg

infoshare
May 5th, 2006, 05:17 PM
I mention this because "Freebird" in the UK has just made a donation adding that country to Italy and Australia in supporting this effort. Talk about your "Coalition Forces."

This is all turning out fine....your doing great with this project BRider.... it would not have turned out this way without you. Thanks ;)

BrooklynRider
May 5th, 2006, 05:29 PM
We are getting an influx of people posting in the remembrance thread. Edward, have you sent out an email?

ManhattanKnight
May 5th, 2006, 06:05 PM
We are getting an influx of people posting in the remembrance thread. Edward, have you sent out an email?

I received 2 of them last evening, Rob. I've forwarded a copy to you.

BrooklynRider
May 5th, 2006, 06:12 PM
At HehmanMemorialFund@hotmail.com? I didn't get it. I'll send you a PM with my home email. Can you send it there as well?

Also, when we started this whole thing we had 585 active members. We've gained 52 since then. Is that a big increase or in keeping with WNY growth?

BrooklynRider
May 6th, 2006, 12:15 AM
I got the email (I had used my hotmail account).

I have been googling and searching for blogs and forums carrying JB's story and posting Edward's email (below). If anyone has time, please find places to post the info as well. We need volunteers and we need money. This is where the group needs to reach into their networks and get the word out. Preface it with a personal note. $10 from 1000 people - that is all we need!

POST THIS:

On April 4th, J.B. Hehman, 20, a prolific and articulate member of our Wired New York Community (posting as “TLOZ Link5”) and a Junior at NYU, died from injuries he received three days earlier when he was assaulted while walking on East 125th Street in Harlem. Read more at http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8889

The forum community has reacted to this tragedy by partnering with Bette Midler’s non-profit New York Restoration Project (NYRP) to execute a two-pronged plan of action:

1) On May 13th, volunteers will converge at Maggie’s Garden (located at 149th Street and Broadway in Harlem), an NYRP community garden in Manhattan for a community service project to be performed in J.B. Hehman’s memory. Volunteers are needed. Read more at http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8967

http://www.wirednewyork.com/jb/memorial/ or
http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?p=95940

As JB Hehman posted in our forum: "If you love the place you live, love it with the same passion that so many New Yorkers do, then you'll learn to tolerate its imperfections if it hasn't been ingrained in you already. Be to its virtues very kind, but be to its faults a little blind."

Help us remember and celebrate J.B. Hehman’s contributions to our community!

BrooklynRider
May 7th, 2006, 06:26 PM
I was contacted today by a person who spoke to me about possibly following this project as a part of a documentary. Although it was interesting and I left at "I'd like to hear more about it," I'm not entirely comfortable with the prospect. Specifically, the conversation kept being pulled toward the incident surrounding JB's death and how five families have been devastated. The feeling conveyed to me was "the film" could go a long way toward helping people understand the issues facing youth of Harlem and the continued racial divide.

I needed to reiterate that the project has no comment on circumstances of JB's death or the on-going investigation. We have one single fact - JB Hehman is dead - our project celebrates his life. Period.

I got the whole proposition that this could be huge, Sundance Film Festival and on and on. I've agreed to speak with the filmakers this week, but an executive decision is going to have to be made. My instinct tells me that this is not in line with the intent of the project and shifts the focus from JB Hehman to the project, project planners and the incident surrounding JB's death. I sensed someone very excited by what we were doing, but someone seeking to use it for their own purposes and agenda. Again, I think the answer is "no."

From a logistical point of view, it can take an event we have anxiously planned for and awaited and turns it into a logistical nightmare of filiming permissions and waivers and so on. That destroys our anonymity and could impact the spontaneity of the day. Executive decision is going to be "N-O."

On the publicity front, the reporter from Village Voice has changed the "direction" of his piece and blah, blah, blah. So, that is not happening. On the other hand, through our group there is a connection to Newsday and possbility there for publicity.

Just to be clear: we seek and sought publicity for one purpose - to help us raise the funds we need to create an endowment. There are no press releases going out prior to the event and we are not seeking to turn Saturday into a media circus. I do not believe that NYRP is seeking to turn this into a big press event either. So far, it looks as though we will have OUR day in Maggie's Garden in honor of JB as a community event - not a press event. I think that is important to state at this point - no more press releases (however long-winded) from me or this project. I will invite Nancy Dillon of the Daily News and Laura Itlaiano if the NY Post via private invitation as they did support the project early and attempted to assist us to reach our goals through their reporting. It seems appropriate.

Five more days! It seems worth reiterating that the event itself will allow all attendees to remain anonymous. There is nothing to sign. No one to check in with. All you have to do is show up at 10:00AM. Shifting to logistics in this final week, I'll share my greatest fear - which is that no one shows up. Please, if you can spare that morning, be there, bring friends, be ready to work in memory of JB. The more WNY members there, the more likely the morning will reflect the spirit of how we came together to do this.

Thanks.

BR

Gulcrapek
May 8th, 2006, 01:36 AM
So what exactly will we be doing... what should I bring etc.?

lofter1
May 8th, 2006, 02:00 AM
BR and I will be getting an up-date from NYRP early this week.

We'll post specifics about what y'all might need to bring on Saturday.

Hoping to see lots of folks at Maggie's Garden on Saturday 5.13 from 10 AM - 12 Noon !!

lofter1
May 8th, 2006, 03:46 PM
PLANTING DAY for JB is this Saturday, May 13 from 10 AM to 12 Noon.

Up-dates and info HERE (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97179&postcount=3) and HERE (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9266)

MAGGIE'S GARDEN: Web Link (http://www.nyrp.org/nygt_maggiesgarden.htm)

564 W. 149th Street

New York, NYC, 10031

Map (http://www.oasisnyc.net/OASISmap.asp?Garden=159&Action=Map+this+Garden&Address=&AddrBoro=Select+Borough&BLOCK=&LOT=&BBLBoro=Select+Borough&ZIP=&Neighborhood=Select&CD=Select&Boro=Bronx&name=OASISMap&SearchPage=CENYC&LOTS=on&GARDENS=on&GARDENS_PNT=on&GARDENS_LABELS=on&STREAMS=on&METRO_REGION_PLACE=on&STREETS=on&TRN=on&BRIDGES=on&NYC_ST_LABELS=on&PARKS=on&PLAYGROUNDS=on&STREETGREEN=on)

BrooklynRider
May 8th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I was contacted by Tom Hehman, JB's father this afteroon. He expressed his support for this project. They are unable to attend on Saturday as Mr. Hehman would like to avoid any interaction with the press and seeks to shield his daughter from further pain from this incident. (We will not be sending out any press releases prior to the event. We initially contacted the press to help us drum up monetary support.)

It was an unexpected phone call and very moving. He appreciates our efforts and, in turn, I let him know we all hold him in our thoughts and prayers.

BrooklynRider
May 8th, 2006, 06:22 PM
We have passed the $5,000 mark in donations. Thank you!

lofter1
May 8th, 2006, 08:04 PM
That ^^ is fantastic news, BR!

When I spoke with Brian Sahd at NYRP this afternoon we talked about how best to allocate the funds that have been donated in JB's name, given our goal and the cost associated with NYRP memorial activites.

We set a goal of $10,000 to fund the JB Hehman Educational Endowment, yet we have not yet reached that sum. But NYRP still believes that we might achieve something near enough to that amount so that the Endowment can be created in JB's name and achieve the objective of impacting the young people of NYC in a meaningful, long-term way.

All in all we have made a great effort towards memorializing JB and my hat is off to all of us here at wirednewyork.

If you all could send out a mass email to friends and colleagues stating the info about the Saturday Planting Day at Maggie's Garden that would be fantastic.

The more the merrier!!

Additional info on the specifics of the Planting Day will be posted soon.

BrooklynRider
May 9th, 2006, 03:24 PM
robert,

thank you for the information on the park project.... my daughter and i are very touched by the effort you have made and the success you have had. i hope you have nice weather on saturday and have a good turnout.... please let me know how the project turns out. thanks again,

tom hehman

PLEASE DO NOT REPRINT THIS. THIS IS A PORTION OF A PERSONAL COMMUNICATION, BUT THE MESSAGE HERE IS ONE THAT DESERVES TO BE READ BY EVERYONE CONTRIBUTING TO THIS PROJECT. IF WE HAVE EASED THIS FAMILY'S PAIN, EVEN FOR A MOMENT, OR GIVEN THEM A GLIMMER OF HOPE THAT LIFE CAN CONTINUE WITH SOME KIND OF PEACE - WE ARE SUCCESSFUL BEYOND ALL OUR ORIGINAL INTENT.

Please join us on Saturday! Whether to work or just to show your support, please volunteer here:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97165&postcount=1

BrooklynRider
May 9th, 2006, 06:39 PM
I just had the event banners delivered to me. They look great! Each is 3ft by 5ft. We will hang them on the fence at Maggie's Garden on Saturday. The images are below for those who have not seen them yet.

lofter1
May 9th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Great ^

The nyrp.org website is down today, but should be working again by Wednesday.

I posted this info on the "JB MEMORIAL MOVING FORWARD" page in the open forum HERE (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97490&postcount=136)

NY1 is forecasting sunny and 72 degrees for Saturday :)

BrooklynRider
May 11th, 2006, 01:00 PM
It would be appreciated if forum members financially supporting this project could use a short signature to publicize this in the forum and threads as we head into the final days of this drive and the event itself. No one wants to here from me anymore - they expect promotion and publicity from me. Others of you have greater influence and are far more eloquent.

Please. Thanks.

Ninjahedge
May 11th, 2006, 05:07 PM
Easiest way to get there from Port Authority?

ryan
May 11th, 2006, 05:14 PM
Looks like you should get your self to the 1 train (http://www.cmap.info/netmaps/straps/link.asp?ID=260482011638).

ManhattanKnight
May 11th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Easiest way to get there from Port Authority?

Take the uptown 8th Avenue subway (the A or C trains) from 42nd Street and 8th Avenue (there's an entrance inside the PABT) to 59th Street (Columbus Circle). Transfer there to the uptown 1 train and get off at West 145th Street and Broadway. Walk 4 blocks up Broadway and turn right on West 149th Street. Maggie's Garden is the second lot on the south (right-hand) side of the street.

lofter1
May 11th, 2006, 06:44 PM
That ^ is a quick ride and a short walk.

You can also take the A, C, B or D train to 145th / St. Nicholas Ave: MTA (http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/service/bline.htm)info B Line / 145th St. Station.

From there walk up St. Nicholas to 149th and take a left. Walk 2-1/2 blocks west on 149th, across Convent Ave. and Amsterdam Ave.

Just before you reach Broadway you'll see Maggie's Garden on the left (south side).

Interactive NYC SUBWAY MAP (http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/nyct/maps/submap.htm)

Google MAP (http://www.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=564+w.+149th+st.,+new+york,+ny&ll=40.826329,-73.943868&spn=0.007047,0.021265&om=1) of 564 W. 149th St.

Ninjahedge
May 12th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Thx!

BrooklynRider
May 12th, 2006, 12:24 PM
I just got a message from NYU, which have been on the ropes about formally supporting this project (which would entail e-blasts to the entire community through their extensive communications network). It seems with Mr. Hehman supporting the project, they are reconsidering their stance and we may see an official fund-drive for this event / endowment fron NYU. This has been a real tug-of-war with the University, although I respect where they are coming from. It is a major turn in the efforts with them - so it it worth sharing.

So, we'll see what we will see.

Gulcrapek
May 12th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Again I ask - what exactly will we be doing? What do I need to bring?

ManhattanKnight
May 12th, 2006, 10:24 PM

Just yourself. Some more info here (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97179&postcount=3) and here (http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/showpost.php?p=98079&postcount=9).

BrooklynRider
May 13th, 2006, 12:42 AM

If you have gloves for gardening, bring them. Other than that, NYRP will supply everything. Be there at 10:00AM!

Schadenfrau
May 13th, 2006, 03:34 AM
I hate to say it, but it looks like heavy rain for tomorrow. Can we garden in that?

BrooklynRider
May 13th, 2006, 07:43 AM
PERFECT WEATHER

NY1 News

57 degrees / foggy this morning / going up to 64 degrees by noon / a high of 68

weather.com - decent weather

cloudy skies this morning will become partly cloudy this afternoon - High 66 degree

accuweather.com

7:00AM - Rain 57
8:00AM - Sunny 60
9:00AM - Cloudy 61
10:00AM - Mostly Cloudy 62
11:00AM - Partly Sunny 64
Noon - Partly Sunny 66

BrooklynRider
May 13th, 2006, 07:55 AM

Maybe a party hat, birthday boy! Happy Birthday.

Gulcrapek
May 13th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Well that was a nice experience... all you people are too nice to be real. Except I suppose being there and all, you are real. Unless you weren't there and I was making a fool out of myself talking to nobody but vivid hallucinations. And eating false donuts.

If you are real, it was a great experience and it was very rewarding to do something for the greater good with good people.

Schadenfrau
May 13th, 2006, 02:36 PM
I feel like such a jerk. My boyfriend forgot that I had to get up early and didn't set the alarm on time.

I'm sorry I didn't get to meet any of you, but would it be possible for me to volunteer on my own at a later date?

Ninjahedge
May 13th, 2006, 02:43 PM
So long as you bring us all donuts Schade... ;)

People were asking for you!

BTW, stuck here at work with the sun outside.. :(

Engoy the rest of the day guys!

MidtownGuy
May 13th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Really great experience today! I will post lots of pics later, so look out!
So nice to meet you all.

BrooklynRider
May 13th, 2006, 05:34 PM
I'm heading to dinner. Quick note for folks.

Local tv stations CBS-2, NBC-4, and ABC-7 all covered the event. Watch for coverage on the dinner time local news broadcast - maybe 11PM. Not sure of the times. I think CBS is at 6:00PM.

Forgive me for any gaffs in my commentary - it was a long day and we worked hard. Thanks to everyone. I'm on the run - not even home yet.

It was a GREAT day for WiredNewYork and a great day of honor for JB.