PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Italy

Zerlina
April 22nd, 2006, 02:25 PM
Hello!
Yesterday I've found out this web site and after that I really love New York... I suddenly decided to subscribe!
I've been in NY two years ago (october 2004) and I think it's amazing!!! I really would back here this summer!!!
I live in Palermo. It's nice too... but it's smaller... also if there are a lot of beautiful ancient buildings... and the sea, that I love...
I send you some pictures of my town!!!

Zerlina
April 22nd, 2006, 02:26 PM
Ehmm! i'm sorry... but I couldn't send the attachment!!! How can i do that? Help me, please!!!:(

Zerlina
April 22nd, 2006, 02:33 PM
Here the pictures!!!:p

Zerlina
April 23rd, 2006, 01:15 PM
Here there are!

MidtownGuy
April 23rd, 2006, 06:10 PM
Ciao Zerlina, welcome to the forum. Thank you for posting these beautiful pictures. I have always been very curious to visit Palermo. The history of Sicily fascinates me.
I'm happy you enjoyed New York.

Zerlina
April 24th, 2006, 07:29 AM
Hi Midtown Guy!
Thaks a lot... I'm a new member and I still don't know anybody here!
Infact, sometimes I have also some trouble to post my pics!!!:o
NY is simply amazing and I really love it!
I wish to come back next summer! What's new in NY?
If you wanna get some information about Palermo... you're welcome!!!:D

MidtownGuy
April 25th, 2006, 12:28 PM
I might have some questions about Palermo in a few weeks, I plan my trip to the Mediterranean in August and September. I usually spend the time in the Greek islands but this year I would also like to visit Sicily. This is something I have always thought about.
Right now it is just an idea, I have to investigate the details.

If you visit NY this summer, maybe we can get a coffee or something.:)

Zerlina
April 26th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Palermo is the capital of Sicily and the fifth largest city in Italy (660,460 inhabitants, and over a million if we include the suburbs). In the middle of the Mediterranean sea, Palermo - the cradle of ancient civilizations - has always been a crossroads of cultures between East and West: a strategic transit place, a privileged port of call for commerce and trade, a landing-place for people of various race, language, and religion. Palermo has always enchanted visitors and foreigners alike with the charm of its location, the mildness of its climate, and the splendour of its buildings. And for these same reasons it has, over the centuries, been dominated by a succession of different rulers.
Palermo is one of the few cities in the world that have preserved considerable traces of the culture of their successive conquerors: from the Romans to the Byzantines, from the Arabs to the Normans, from the Swabians to the French, from the Spaniards to the Austrians, they have all left unmistakable marks of their passing; and these are invaluable testimonies, since this convergence of different styles and shapes, from the North of Europe to Africa, from the Middle Ages to the Baroque period, has given birth to a variety of absolutely original artistic, architectural, and decorative creations.:)

Zerlina
April 26th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Here there are other pics from Sicily!
MidtownGuy... a coffee? Good idea!:)

MidtownGuy
April 27th, 2006, 05:14 PM
These pictures make me want to visit very much!
The mediterranean is my favorite region of the world. Such fantastic climate, uncomparable history and beauty, food, my God! And, of course, the warmest and most friendly people anywhere.
I am looking forward to my vacation this year!!

I want to see Taormina also, which is supposed to be very beautiful. Have you been there?

Zerlina
April 28th, 2006, 08:46 AM
:D Taormina???
Well, it's small, sunny, surrounded by an unbeliaveble sea and every summer there are interesting performances in the Greek Theatre (from the theatre you can see the skyline with the "Etna" Vulkan)... what else? Here some pics from Taormina for you!

MidtownGuy
April 28th, 2006, 11:49 AM
It sounds perfect! I can't wait.
Do you think I should rent a car and drive from Palermo to Taormina? I hope I don't get lost! Or maybe I should take a bus or train.;)

Zerlina
April 28th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Well, you can choose... but... why should you get lost driving from Palermo to Taormina???:p :cool: And... just for you... other pics from Taormina!!!;)

ablarc
April 29th, 2006, 09:53 AM
How do you manage these fabulous vacations, MidtownGuy?

MidtownGuy
April 29th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I'm self-employed:D
I work from home, and in a pinch I can plug in a laptop and a drawing tablet and cook up a design from any location.
Before, working for "the man", I was stuck with a vacation of 2 weeks a year, like most Americans.
I hated the caged feeling, felt robbed as I watched my European friends get 6 weeks a year to romp around the globe...to me this was a quality of life issue that I could not accept for myself. I figured, Hey! I only get one life to see this Earth! I quit my job, went independent, and now I leave for one month each year in mid-August, returning mid-September, plus I go away for frequent shorter trips.

ablarc
April 29th, 2006, 11:45 PM
I'm self-employed:D
I work from home, and in a pinch I can plug in a laptop and a drawing tablet and cook up a design from any location.
What sorts of things do you design that allow you to do it all by yourself from anywhere?

I'm self-employed too and I design buildings, but if I'm gone more than a week my operation falls apart. :(

What's your secret?

MidtownGuy
April 30th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I started as a textile and surface designer.
Then I branched into accessories, products, packaging, children's illustrations, you name it. My clients are all so different from one another.
I work on pecific projects that clients present to me, and also collections of my own designs that I give to an agent, who brings them around to sell to his contacts.
Here are a few examples to give more lucidity to my struggling explanation.
The last, an umbrella design, was based on a certain church interior in Italy. Any guesses?

http://static.flickr.com/54/137810309_ada3c14412_b.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/52/137818198_869446a640_b.jpg

http://static.flickr.com/46/137810312_e08d3ebd19_b.jpg

Fabrizio
April 30th, 2006, 07:57 PM
O my...I don´t know ....but you are an artist....wonderful work....indeed, I sensed you were a sensitive soul.

ablarc
April 30th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Wow...that last one... the dome turned inside out.

Great stuff.

I can see how you can do your work anywhere.

Is it done on a computer?

MidtownGuy
April 30th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Thanks guys. The last one is based on Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan, the one with The Last Supper inside.
Yes, they're done all by computer, on a super sensitive Wacom drawing tablet. With my stylus pen and tablet I can paint just about anything electronically:)

Zerlina
May 1st, 2006, 06:10 AM
MidtownGuy... you're an artist!!!
Great job!:eek:

ablarc
May 1st, 2006, 06:43 AM
The last one is based on Santa Maria delle Grazie in Milan, the one with The Last Supper inside.
Couldn't place it till you mentioned it; as a visitor you head for the Supper. Super dome, lotsa competition. Grazie.

Zerlina
May 1st, 2006, 08:47 AM
Well... maybe you'll find new inspiration in our churchs and museums and... why not... in our teatro Massimo!

The stage is

lofter1
May 1st, 2006, 08:52 AM
Amazing work, Midtown Guy.

The original ( http://www.ontarioarchitecture.com/rib.htm ):

http://www.ontarioarchitecture.com/ribmilan500.jpg

Zerlina
May 1st, 2006, 08:55 AM
Which one is the real Santa Maria delle Grazie???:cool:

MidtownGuy
May 1st, 2006, 10:08 AM
The picture above shows the real ceiling, mine is changed in many ways, most obviously increasing the number of sections to make the typical 8 section umbrella, and dealing with the vastly different "triangular" dimensions of each section. I couldn't find very detailed photos online, and going to Milan myself to take photos certainly was not in the project budget. So, I just used a little imagination. Here is a closeup of one section.

http://static.flickr.com/45/138270666_43d01a71a5_b.jpg

plus another, a shoe design

http://static.flickr.com/56/138242117_a2f78b1479_b.jpg

lofter1
May 1st, 2006, 10:19 AM
Uh oh -- I have a friend in LA who would kill for those shoes ....

I'm sending her the pic STAT ;)

(any clues where she could buy?)

MidtownGuy
May 1st, 2006, 10:53 AM
http://www.ashleydearborn.com/store/index.cfm

There's a website, though this design is not yet on there; I thnk it is for Fall. I know she has a store in San Francisco, also she has stuff in Bergdorf, but beyond that, I'm not much help. Unfortunately I can't really keep up with where my designs get sold after manufacture, I just send away the disk, and after approving the first production sample, I never see many of my babies again, unless I make an effort to track them down.

Zerlina
May 1st, 2006, 12:22 PM
Wow!
I love shoes! In Italy we have a lot of famous designer and every year I buy more shoes than I can wear...
But I love these shoes too... it's another good idea to come to NY!!!:D ;)

MidtownGuy
May 1st, 2006, 12:57 PM
I have a beautiful picture book of Sicily. This is one of the photos, I think it is Mazzarˇ. It looks so wonderful. I wish I could pack my bags right now!

http://static.flickr.com/48/138396252_c8e310847e_o.jpg

Zerlina
May 1st, 2006, 02:06 PM
Yes... it's Mazzar˛, nice town near Taormina and Giardini Naxos... but here all the cities on the coast are like this!!!:D

Zerlina
May 8th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Here a typical sicilian coast...

lofter1
May 8th, 2006, 07:19 PM
I have always wanted to go to the islands near Sicily. Taormina looks nearly perfect. Que Bella!!

And I hear that Ischia is another fantastic island.

Is September a good time to travel to Sicily and the other islands?

Zerlina
May 9th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Sure, Lofter!!!
Here it's already summer and people can go to the beach for tanning... while in september... is still summer!!! It's unbeliaveble but true!!! And you can spend less money too!!!;)

lofter1
May 9th, 2006, 06:53 PM
thanks, zerlina

more sun, less money, fewer tourists ...

a perfect vacation

Zerlina
May 11th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Sure Lofter!
We'll be waiting for you!:D

MidtownGuy
June 3rd, 2006, 08:22 PM
:D I bought my tickets today, Zerlina!!!
I arrive in Venice August 23. From there I will make my way south through Italy, stopping a few days in Rome, eventually arriving in Palermo where I will be delighted to meet with you. On to Taormina for a couple of days....then over to Greece for 3 more weeks of island hopping.
A mediterranean dream. I will post pictures on this forum as I travel from place to place.

Derek2k3
June 3rd, 2006, 09:07 PM
nice pics zerlina, thanks for the tips too.
Hard to believe Ill be there this Tuesday.

Zerlina
June 6th, 2006, 11:40 AM
:D I bought my tickets today, Zerlina!!!
I arrive in Venice August 23. From there I will make my way south through Italy, stopping a few days in Rome, eventually arriving in Palermo where I will be delighted to meet with you. On to Taormina for a couple of days....then over to Greece for 3 more weeks of island hopping.
A mediterranean dream. I will post pictures on this forum as I travel from place to place.

Wow, MidTown!!!
I'll be waiting for you anxiously!!!:) And... don't forget your fabolous camera!!!;)

Zerlina
June 6th, 2006, 11:41 AM
nice pics zerlina, thanks for the tips too.
Hard to believe Ill be there this Tuesday.

Hi Derek! I'm sure you'll enjoy it!:cool:

MidtownGuy
June 6th, 2006, 04:04 PM
Zerlina, it is so nice to imagine that I have a friend in Palermo. I'll bring you a little gift from New York when I arrive:) in August.

Fabrizio
June 6th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Midtown: if you┤re passing near Florence drop me a PM....lunch?

MidtownGuy
June 6th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Lunch in Florence, who could resist?
I would be charmed.

Fabrizio
June 6th, 2006, 04:40 PM
uh...well in that case....let┤s make it dinner too.

MidtownGuy
June 6th, 2006, 05:08 PM
You were missed during your...um..absence.

Fabrizio
June 6th, 2006, 06:10 PM
I missed me too. What a boring read.

Seriously though.... you┤d want to skip Florence and come on over to my town... bohemian...scruffy/elegant.... we get you to eat a big bowl of tripe ...a good red.... we┤d introduce you to some of the local crazies. In September they kill a pig in the town square. You don┤t want to miss it.

ablarc
June 6th, 2006, 10:24 PM
I missed me too. What a boring read.
Did you stay current?

Fabrizio
June 7th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Checked in a few times.

Zerlina
June 11th, 2006, 09:20 AM
In September they kill a pig in the town square. You don┤t want to miss it.[/quote]

Hi Fabrizio, let me understand... in september they kill a pig in the town square??? :eek: And why??? It's horrible!

Zerlina
June 11th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Zerlina, it is so nice to imagine that I have a friend in Palermo. I'll bring you a little gift from New York when I arrive:) in August.
Dear Midtown, you're so kind!!!
I'm already waiting for you! I have so many things to show you here!!!:)

MidtownGuy
June 11th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Well, you can't imagine how excited I feel! In my spare moments I'm reading my guide books on the places I will visit. I have a DVD called "Visions of Sicily" that's so beautiful, it was made from a helicopter flying over the island.

I have a problem I can't figure out. After Taormina, I have to get a ferry at Bari or Brindisi over to Corfu. Online I checked for trains, it will take almost 14 hours to get to Bari from Taormina! I would have to take 3 different trains, connecting in Salerno and Caserta! So I think that is way too long. Now I am wondering is it faster and more direct to drive a car from Reggio di Calabria to Bari. Maybe I can save some hours this way. Does anyone know how many hours it might take to make this drive? Also, will it just be too difficult for a stranger to the land?

I looked at airplane tickets from Catania to Corfu, and they are just too expensive. So, it's either train, bus, or drive. I'm confused...:confused:

ablarc
June 11th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Drive!! Just south of Bari is the absolutely, mind-blowingly otherworldly town of Alberobello, as well as the numbingly picturesque settlements of Martina Franca and Cisternino. Worthy subjects for your photographic skills. Expect to be regaled with a picture show.

MidtownGuy
June 11th, 2006, 03:26 PM
I have always wanted to see the trulli buildings. I think you're right. Hope I don't get lost though!

My camera finger is jumping with anticipation.

ablarc
June 11th, 2006, 04:48 PM
You may find Alberobello a little overrun. The other two lack buth trulli and tourists. You may find them even more interesting.

MidtownGuy
June 11th, 2006, 09:19 PM
Unfortunately I won't have much time to poke around, because I have to make it to Bari in time for the ferry's departure at 8:00 pm.
I start in Taormina in the morning and hightail it to Puglia. Probably time for a brief stop in Alberobello at the most. Of course, getting lost would really screw up my schedule.
The trip is going to be a lot of moving around, I have so much ground to cover.
Wish I knew how many hours the drive from Regio di Calabria to Bari would require.

pianoman11686
June 11th, 2006, 10:05 PM
I can't believe I came within an hour of Alberobello during my Italian road trip and didn't see it. I hadn't heard of it until today. From some of the pics I've seen on Google, it looks absolutely surreal, and indeed, otherworldly. Ablarc, how did you hear about this place, and when did you visit?

ablarc
June 11th, 2006, 10:15 PM
...how did you hear about this place, and when did you visit?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/sitbv3/reader/ref=sib_dp_pt/002-3715600-3120059?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=0262510103

last century

ablarc
June 11th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Wish I knew how many hours the drive from Regio di Calabria to Bari would require.
I estimated 6 hours and 300 miles, Mapquest says 5 hours 35 minutes and 282.46 miles. Better hope there's no traffic jam, or allow 6 hours.

pianoman11686
June 11th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Funny, one of the first hits I got on Google was a website based on that book. Just wish I had read it before I went to Italy! Oh well, I'll have to go back when I'm older. I saw a lot, but didn't even touch Sicily or anything south of the Amalfi Coast.

Midtown: If you're looking to drive in Italy, I highly recommend it. The roads are of high quality, and if you don't mind the tolls, I think it's a great way to get around. Not only will you move around quick, but from what I remember, the autostrades were for the most part incredibly scenic, much more so than any interstate highway in the states. I did a quick search on Mapquest, and the drive from Reggio di Calabria to Bari is 280 miles, ~ 5 1/2 hours, most of it on toll roads. If you started out in Taormina, it would be about 30 miles and an hour longer (not counting the time it takes to get across the strait). It's a shame the planned suspension bridge isn't constructed yet; that would really cut down on your travel time. Good luck with your trip. I hope you enjoy Italy as much as I did.

Edit: Damn you Ablarc, you beat me to Mapquest! That's twice in three days someone's beat me to a post.

MidtownGuy
June 12th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Thanks so much to both of you for the driving information. That's a shorter drive than I expected so it'll work out great!:)

Zerlina
June 12th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Thanks so much to both of you for the driving information. That's a shorter drive than I expected so it'll work out great!:)
Driving is the best thing to do, also because trains are often late around here...:o
Well! I'm waiting for youuuuu!:)