PDA

View Full Version : Reverse commute Manhattan to Westchester

mclee
April 25th, 2006, 04:09 PM
I will be moving to the UWS (100s) soon, and will be working near Ossining in Westchester. I think my best bet is to take the subway to Marble Hill Metro-North and ride that up, but what are my options in terms of driving? Google suggests I should cut across Manhattan on the Cross-Bronx/95 and go north on the Major Deegan/87, but it looks like I could take the Henry Hudson up through the Bronx, and then continue either on 9 or meet up with 87.

Anyone have any thoughts on these options? What about tolls and traffic, for a northbound commute around 7:30-8:00am and a southbound around 6:00pm?

Thanks!

czsz
April 25th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I think taking the Hudson is better than fighting your way across Manhattan, esp. because it leads to the 87 anyway.

nycbound
April 29th, 2006, 02:28 AM
What about a reverse commute to Conn...
I found out my company has an office there, and was wondering if many people did this type of reverse commute, as my goal is to live in the city... but would love to continue working for the same company (they would relocate me). Google has travel time from the city to Hartford, Conn as 2hrs 44mins... but that is driving. I am wondering what lines of transportation are available, and what the commute time would be? Anyone know???

antinimby
April 29th, 2006, 02:44 AM
OMG. Are you serious?
You're going to commute 3 hours each way for a total commute time of 6 hours every day???!!
Also, did you or Google figure in traffic? That could be an additional 1 hour each way and don't even get started on the tolls to get across the bridge back into Manhattan.
Gas prices is rocketing upwards.

My suggestion is that you should not do this insane commute.
Either live and work in CT or live and work in NY, not both. Maybe if it was Stamford but Hartford is literally half way to Boston.

nycbound
April 29th, 2006, 02:59 AM
Okay- thanks for the info, that's what I wanted to know.
I didn't know if there was a subway line that went out there or a bus line... some faster way of transport. I guess not. :(

ablarc
April 29th, 2006, 09:56 AM
some faster way of transport...
Ought to be, but there isn't.

Americans sit in traffic jams and talk on cell phones. Slow-rolling phone booths.

At least they have air-conditioning.

Schadenfrau
April 29th, 2006, 05:12 PM
FYI: subways only run in NYC. There definitely isn't a line that takes you halfway to Boston, as AntiNimby so succinctly put it.

lofter1
April 29th, 2006, 06:17 PM
Google has travel time from the city to Hartford, Conn as 2hrs 44mins...
Both bus and trains serve between NYC <> Hartford but the travel time is the same: just under 3 hours. The bus is cheaper, the train far more comfortable. For trains you must switch in New Haven.