PDA

View Full Version : Looking for co-op or condo for under 200K

HydrasunGQ
April 27th, 2006, 04:15 PM
I know nowadays it's pretty hard to find a good deal but any information would be greatly appreciated. I'm mainly looking for a 1 Bed, close to Manhattan, near the subway. Preferably in Queens and then Brooklyn. What can you guys recommend?

djf17
April 28th, 2006, 08:32 AM
try Detroit

shocka
April 28th, 2006, 09:40 AM
As for queens
Check out Rego Park, you could find 1 bdrm Coop for under 200 there.
There ARE parts of Forest Hills, south side of QB has some Coops
Other areas, but less desireable in my opinion
Elmhurst, Jackson Heights (express train to manhattan), Corona

I dont know Brooklyn that well..

and dont even think your goinng to find a condo for under 200 anywhere in queens or brooklyn.. you can find a coop in those areas, most likely will be prewar buildings though. rego park you might be able to snag one of the nicer high rise coops.

otherwise.. detroit is always an option

good luck

BrooklynRider
April 28th, 2006, 10:41 AM
You need to head out to Midwood or one of the less "known" neighborhhods of Brooklyn. There is stuff out there, but you're going to have to comb for it.

MrSpice
April 28th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Don't know much about Queens.

In Brooklyn, there are many safe neighborhoods where you're going to be close to the subway. It depends on your budget and what is more important for you - commute, cool bars, closeness to Manhattan, "urban feel", etc.

Those neighborhoods that are "cool" and are close to Manhattan are very expensive.

What is your budget? Do you need parking?

HydrasunGQ
April 28th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I've actually seen some coops in Rego Park going for 200K or less. I'm not too concerned about having the cool urban feel.
I just want it to be close to public transportation and close to manhattan. At the moment I do not need parking since I sold my car. I would like to have a car again at some point. So parking would be nice but not necessary.

Prettyskyscapers
May 1st, 2006, 11:17 PM
I havent seen any for $200k, my friend owns a 300k condo(1/1 600 square feet) in an old building in a questionable neighboor and commutes more than an hour each way. Is renting an option? or maybe find a roomate/girlfriend/wife and split the costs then you two can at least get something in a "cool" neighboorhood. Living doesnt come cheap in the biggest city in america. I thought my city was expensive. I may move out of my city and into a smaller, cheaper city. Many people move to other cities if they cant afford.