PDA

View Full Version : which city outside America do you think is better match to NYC?

screenzp
May 5th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Hi all, which city do you regard as best comparable city with NYC?
should be city outstide America.

Patrick Pearse
June 14th, 2006, 03:12 PM
Limerick, Republic of Ireland.
There are a lot of Irish in New York so there's a connection between the two.

pianoman11686
June 14th, 2006, 03:30 PM
You've got quite a sense of humor.

I'd say London.

Patrick Pearse
June 14th, 2006, 03:31 PM
I was being serious.

Schadenfrau
June 14th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Where are you getting the idea that there are a lot of Irish people in NYC? Maybe in Woodlawn or Woodside, but certainly not in many other neighborhoods.

Also, it's hard to compare a town with less than 100,000 people to a city with over 8 million. Have you ever been to NYC?

In any case, I voted for London.

Patrick Pearse
June 14th, 2006, 03:49 PM
That is only my opinion.

pianoman11686
June 14th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Going by your logic, I'd say you can compare New York to hundreds of cities around the world just by virtue of the fact that there are so many different ethnicities represented here in such large numbers. The city has a great Irish history, but doesn't have nearly as many (or as big a proportion) of Irish people living here as it once did. Plus, these days most are at least third-generation, venerable Americans, and barely resemble true Irishmen and women.

That's not a good starting point for your comparison. Neither is the fact that Limerick doesn't come anywhere close to New York in terms of population, GDP, culture, and importance on the global stage. All of these aspects make it very difficult to compare other cities to New York. The list that was given at the beginning of this thread is probably the most common and most appropriate.

Patrick Pearse
June 14th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Think whatever way you want, I stand by my answer.

pianoman11686
June 14th, 2006, 04:44 PM
You're the one who said, and I quote, "That is only my opinion." You can stand by your answer if you want, but my response is based on facts. It's not that I "think any way I want." I'm stating what is true and accepted by anyone who knows anything about New York.

Luca
June 15th, 2006, 04:04 AM
Following on from Mr Pearse's pugnacious defense of his droll hypothesys, I say Palermo (y'know, all the Sicilian -Americans) :D . Or maybe it should be Tel-aviv?

Nah, I voted London. They are practically the same town in two different locations, in terms of the ethos of the inhabitants (there are even some linguistic similarities; some scholars believe that "merrykun" is distantly related to the Englsih language :p )

Patrick Pearse
June 15th, 2006, 08:36 AM
What makes my choice any less credible than yours?
I didn't criticise you for saying London.

lofter1
June 15th, 2006, 09:49 AM
... some scholars believe that "merrykun" is distantly related to the Englsih language

tangentially ... actually from the Italian ("discoverer" Amerigo Vespucci) ...

Many South / Central American residents find it interesting that citizens of the USA have seemingly co-opted the "ownership" of the term "American" as any resident of North, Central or South America can logically call themselves an "American".

With the drive to instill "English Only" regulations we may have to do some name-changing in the near future.

Case(s) is point (i.e.: non-English language place-names) :
America
Florida
Louisiana
Texas
Colorado
New Mexico
Arizona
Nevada
California
San Antonio
Las Vegas
Sacramento
San Jose
San Francisco
Santa Cruz
Santa Barbara
Los Angeles
San Clemente
San Diego
Sierra Nevada
Rio Grande
Alamagordo
San Juaquin Valley / River

The list goes on and on (and I haven't begun to touch upon place-names derived from Native American terms) ...

pianoman11686
June 15th, 2006, 10:17 AM
What makes my choice any less credible than yours?
I didn't criticise you for saying London.

I already explained why your choice is less credible. If you like, you can criticize my choice (as well as the choice of most others who voted in this thread). This is a forum after all: a place for discussion that certainly encourages people to critique each other and develop their arguments.

Patrick Pearse
June 15th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Answer me this London has a similar population, ect.. to New York. How does that make it a good match?

pianoman11686
June 15th, 2006, 10:40 AM
If all you're looking at is population statistics, then it doesn't singlehandedly make it a good match. There are many more cities that have populations within a few million people of New York's, but they would never be considered good "matches." While population alone doesn't suffice, it does serve as a limiting criterion. It's just not logical to compare a city of 8 million with a city of 100,000. It doesn't even make sense to compare New York to any other city in the U.S., and there are quite a few large cities here. Once you've found a city of similar size, you look at the other, more distinguishing characteristics:

How important is the city to the country it's situated in?
What kind of influence does it have on the global stage?
How similar are their GDP's, and what types of industry contribute to the city's well-being?
How large a center of culture and higher learning is the city in question?
How diverse is it ethnically?
Is it a true global capital?

The answers to these questions are very similar for both New York and London. This is what makes the two cities simultaneously stand out as unique centers of commerce and culture, while being easily relatable to each other.

Traditionally, this debate should not exist beyond the four established global capitals - New York, London, Paris, and Tokyo. With the rise of China, Shanghai and Hong Kong are starting to make a case for their inclusion in this group. For now, London is the best match to New York.

Patrick Pearse
June 15th, 2006, 10:45 AM
I'm not trying to change the subject, but IMO Hong-Kong isn't a part of China. The state of Hong Kong has a high degree of autonomy until 2047, except national defence and iplomatic affairs.

pianoman11686
June 15th, 2006, 11:30 AM
I'm not trying to change the subject, but IMO Hong-Kong isn't a part of China. The state of Hong Kong has a high degree of autonomy until 2047, except national defence and iplomatic affairs.

It doesn't change the fact that Hong Kong will continue to grow as China becomes an economic world player, and may one day find itself among the traditional world capitals. Let's stick to the thread topic.

milleniumcab
June 16th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I"ll compare Limerick with a neighborhood in NYC. And that neighborhood is, hiiiiiiiimmm let's see... I got it, South Bronx, since you can have anybody killed, here and there, for a 100 bucks...:D

I voted for London...

Lale
July 27th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Too early...

Jake
July 27th, 2006, 10:58 PM
I'd go with Tokyo for the following reasons:

-crowded as hell
-goddamn subway
-advertisements everywhere
-single companies generating more money than most countries
-did I say CROWDED?
-does this train go to ______? Yeah, flip a coin, you'll have a better chance than figuring it out that way
-lots of crazies around
-another place where the word "fashion" transgresses the fact that it applies to "clothing" as in something someone might actually wear.
-they love the Yankees
-crazy cabbies
-hotels hotels hotels
-so bright you can read a book in a room with all the lights off at 1 AM
-Tokyo International Airport: imagine Newark, JFK, and La Guardia rolled into one, then shaken, then stirred
-University of this and that on every corner
-serious $$$ in the business district, even gets compliments from Wall St guys
(that's really just WOW)
-Imperial Palace is that rare little quiet sanctuary like Central Park

For me it's Tokyo without question, everything economy, mass population culture, and history is there

pianoman11686
September 5th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Is London the New New York? Or Is It the Other Way Around?

BY JILL GARDINER - Staff Reporter of the Sun

September 5, 2006

URL: http://www.nysun.com/article/39073

It's a city of nearly 8 million where Mayor Bloomberg owns a townhouse. Paul McCartney, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Madonna all own homes here, too. It competed to host the 2012 Olympic Games. Architects Daniel Libeskind, Norman Foster, and Richard Rogers are all working here or have recently completed buildings. Rupert Murdoch owns a big, conservative, tabloid newspaper here. The art scene is sizzling, real estate is super-pricey, and sushi-lovers can choose from at least two Nobu restaurants. The business world revolves around a big stock market and lots of new hedge funds.

The list of parallels between New York and London has always been long, but lately, with booming economies in both cities and trendy restaurants moving into old industrial neighborhoods, the two are looking more like mirror images.

Some say the two have more in common than any other international cities on the planet, making them both allies and, increasingly, competitors in the global economy.

In the past few years, both have been terrorist targets, competed for the 2012 Olympics (London won), and passed smoking bans for bars, pubs, and restaurants. London's ban, which is modeled after New York's, is scheduled to go into effect next year.

Academics, financial analysts, restaurateurs, art gallery owners, architects, and people who've lived in both cities say while London is still blatantly British in personality, its finance, restaurant, and art industries look more like New York's now than they did five to 10 years ago.

The financial sector in London has seen a flurry of new hedge funds and leverage buyout firms investing in European companies and using the city, which offers Americans access to Europe with no language barrier, as a home base. Simultaneously, new restaurants and art galleries have sprouted in neighborhoods that have little or no industry any more in the same way they have in places like TriBeCa here.

"London is by far the closest city to New York on almost every scale," the deputy mayor for economic development in the Bloomberg administration, Daniel Doctoroff, said. "In terms of the number of people, the percentage of people who are foreign born. It's arguable that there is no city that is more similar to New York than London anywhere."

The cities are both in the midst of construction booms, with building permits for commercial and residential development breaking records. For those who thought looking for an apartment in New York was a blood sport, realtors in London say prices for "flats" have shot up 17% this year.

"Last year, everyone was convinced that the market was going to fall," a broker at Hamptons International in the Islington section of London, Rowena Jones, said. "But then the bonuses started coming in, and people began thinking we've got to buy, buy."

The architect Daniel Libeskind, who created the master plan for the World Trade Center site and who designed a building for London Metropolitan University, said that as both cities have construction crews transforming, or adding to, their skylines, they are aware of good architecture. Londoners, he said, are more concerned with preserving history with new building. New Yorkers are more willing to be bold.

He said the two-year-old "Gherkin Building" that Norman Foster designed in London, which looks like a giant glass pickle, has broken the image "of what London used to be." Lord Foster's addition to the Hearst Building on West 57th Street in Manhattan has a similar glass and grid exterior.

For London, beating out New York for the 2012 Olympics was a major triumph.With six years to prepare for the games, the city is planning more than $7 billion in development, including athletic venues, housing, and retail.

While some in New York have suggested "congestion pricing" in Manhattan to reduce traffic in Midtown during the week, London started using the system in 2003. That city charges drivers for bringing cars into the center of the town. The initiative, which was pushed by London's mayor, Ken Livingstone, has drastically cut back on traffic.

Mr. Bloomberg has said the idea is not on the table here. Instead, he has proposed reinstating the commuter tax, which was repealed in 1999.

Shows regularly go back and forth between theater districts in London and New York. The latest swap was the "History Boys," in New York for "Avenue Q" in London.The two were hugely successful in their original cities and are drawing big crowds in their new locations.

There has even been talk of the British department stores Harrods or Harvey Nichols opening up in the New York landmark Plaza Hotel, while the Financial Times this weekend reported that Barneys New York will open its first overseas store in West London. Virgin Megastores sells music in Times Square and Union Square in Manhattan and at Piccadilly and Kensington in London.

There are differences between the two cities. The director of the Rothermere American Institute at Oxford University, Paul Giles, said London does not have the same "service culture" that New York and America has. He said stores close early, and the city is more spread out than New York, making it more difficult to get around.

"You'll go into either London and New York and you'll find a Virgin Megastore and a you'll find Starbucks, but I think on a deeper level London is still a microcosm of England," he said. He said most international cities now look more like one another than the small towns that surround them.

But the similarities are growing, and hard to ignore.

The general manager for BBC America, Kathryn Mitchell, said more American talent agencies are scouting in Britain and elsewhere to find the next television hit like "The Office," which prompted an American spinoff.

"We've got a lot in common originally because you came from us," she said.

2006 The New York Sun, One SL, LLC.

Gregory Tenenbaum
September 6th, 2006, 05:24 AM
Best match for New York? Is it York in the UK? Hmmm I don't think so.

Is it Old Amsterdam?

Sure is! Drugs, Hookers, exciting people, cultural centre and great coffee - why pick London when you can pick OLD AMSTERDAM :D?

Luca
September 6th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Best match for New York? Is it York in the UK? Hmmm I don't think so.

Is it Old Amsterdam?

Sure is! Drugs, Hookers, exciting people, cultural centre and great coffee - why pick London when you can pick OLD AMSTERDAM :D?

You ever been to Amsterdam at all, you silly man?!?

:)

OmegaNYC
September 6th, 2006, 01:17 PM
I would say:

1: London

2: Tokyo

3: Paris.

Thats just me.

BkBound718
October 29th, 2006, 02:46 PM
i been to hk , hk reminds me of nyc just wit alot of chinese people , they even got projects in the mountains