PDA

View Full Version : Movin to New York, advice?

jsyn23
May 10th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Hi.

A friend and I have decided we want to live in New York. We are both tired of living in Louisiana. I know the cost of living there is higher. I was hopefully wanting to get transferred with my job. I am an assistant manager at a video store. Not your 6 digit salary. :(. We are room mates so we would have two incomes. I was curious.. What are some safe places to stay outside the city but close to it? Apartments are what we are looking for.. Anything for a 2 bedroom around 1500 - 2000/month? are is that way out of our league?

Thanks for all your support, and hopefully will be able to share the state with you one day! :)

ryan
May 10th, 2006, 02:42 PM
I think that's an entirely reasonable budget - you don't even have to go that expensive. Here's a listing in my neighborhood for $1250 (http://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/abo/159074955.html). There's too many cheap areas to live to direct you to without clarification. Everyone has an opinion about the best neighborhood to live in, so I'd suggest you read through the forums (especially moving to NYC) and ask more specific questions.

jsyn23
May 10th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Thank you for your reply.

I will continue to read through these boards and search for available apartments in the surrounding areas. I'll come back and ask a few more questions. Right now I didn't know if they had apartments that close to the city with a monthly rent of 1500.. Thanks!

Schadenfrau
May 10th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Keep in mind that the city includes five boroughs, not just Manhattan.

jsyn23
May 11th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Right:

Manhattan
Staten Island
Queens
Brooklyn
Bronx

Got it right?

ryan
May 11th, 2006, 04:16 PM
yes, and it's unlikely you'll find something that meets your criteria in Manhattan, so you might start with Brooklyn & Queens.

shocka
May 12th, 2006, 12:21 AM
yes, and it's unlikely you'll find something that meets your criteria in Manhattan, so you might start with Brooklyn & Queens.

I have a very nice 2bdrm in Astoria, Queens for 1500 (aprx 800sqft).. and i have a city view :-)!

I really enjoy astoria its a fun place to live and very close to MANHATTAN (edit .. sorry)...

Brooklyn has alot of nice areas to check out
Park Slope, Carroll Gardens, Williamsburg

jsyn23
May 12th, 2006, 02:33 AM
Thank you!

I will definitely consider your suggestions. While we still have about 8 months left before we move, I'm ready. :)

ryan
May 12th, 2006, 11:34 AM
I really enjoy astoria its a fun place to live and very close to NYC...
Astoria is NYC, no? Manhattan is not all there is to New York.

MrSpice
May 12th, 2006, 11:36 AM

Yes, in fact I know some people that live in Brooklyn and Queens and don't even like Manhattan - they go out and hang out in Brooklyn and feel happy and satisfied about it. Queens has a very happening area on Austin Street with lots of bars, restaurants and shops. Brooklyn is booming nowadays. Carrol Gardens and Park Slope have some of the best restaurants in the city.

shocka
May 12th, 2006, 02:40 PM

sorry i thought i edited that last nite..

related to what MrSpice said

Austin street (Forest Hills) is awesome as is park Slope and Carrol gardens but I prefer areas like Williamsburg, LIC/Astoria only because there are so many options for areas to go out in if you live in those areas. I can go into Manhattan, drive over to Williamsburg/Greenpoint or stick around LIC/Astoria.

atraene
May 12th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I suggest you move to Western Queens. It's real close to the city. If not, maybe around south-west Queens around Glendale and such.

jsyn23
May 15th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Another question: Are there any good jobs in NY.. Bascially jobs that doesn't require a college degree. While I am in college currently, I will not graduate for another 3 years. I plan on attending a college there someday. Right now I work for Hollywood Video as an assistant manager making 8.50/hr at 45 hours a week. I basically make about 20/k a year.

bluegreyeyes
May 17th, 2006, 08:31 PM
i'm hoping to find an apartment by June 1st.
i have a (big) dog.
there will be 3 twentysomething girls sharing a 2 bedroom.
we have guarantors.
looking for: a 2 bedroom BELOW $2500.
we also don't want to be in the financial district.

we don't want to pay an arm & a leg for an apartment, but we also realize with the dog exception & time constraints, a broker might be our last hope.

we've signed up for rentdirect.com already.

suggestions? thanks.

colletek
May 18th, 2006, 04:58 PM
That's a fair budget.You can find apts in Hoboken, Jersey City, Astoria. You probably won't get anything like that in manhattan except if it's uptown.