PDA

View Full Version : New Yorks 5 Boroughs Division of Sports?

ironmike9110
May 12th, 2006, 03:42 PM
----

MrSpice
May 12th, 2006, 03:48 PM
the main difference is that most people who live in Brooklyn don't care abou sports and see no difference betwen yankees, gians and devils. For us, it's just a bunch of overpaid guys running around for no reason. And by the way, baseball is really boring - 4 hours of hitting the same ball and spitting.

ironmike9110
May 12th, 2006, 03:57 PM
---

antinimby
May 12th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Brooklyn loves sports like crazy.

Back when the Dodgers were still in Brooklyn, the mania surrounding the team would make Red Sox nation today look like a bunch of ladies at a tea party get-together. And this was a team that originally made losing lovable.

Generally speaking, the boroughs (and also the suburbs) outside Manhattan is more blue-collar and therefore, will tend to be more sports oriented.

MrSpice
May 12th, 2006, 05:08 PM
I guess i know not to move to Brooklyn because as we all know MEN love SPORTS, and if Brooklyn doesnt love sports, then what does that mean??? Wo man, i mean Wow. I think your just speaking for yourself though because why else would Brooklyn be pushing to get the Nets?

and if baseballs so boring, why do the yankees sell out almost every game they have?

Brooklyn is not pushing to get the Nets. Brooklyn is pushing (or Bloomberg is pushing, rather) to get the business complex that is comprised of the Nets arena together with several skyscrapers, both commercial and residential. We are also talking about Downtown Brooklyn that geographically close to Manhattan and is really a business district. In fact, I think many in Brooklyn would be happy if this project did not include the stadium because it will lead to enormous traffic congestion.

MrSpice
May 12th, 2006, 05:11 PM
Brooklyn loves sports like crazy.

Back when the Dodgers were still in Brooklyn, the mania surrounding the team would make Red Sox nation today look like a bunch of ladies at a tea party get-together. And this was a team that originally made losing lovable.

Generally speaking, the boroughs (and also the suburbs) outside Manhattan is more blue-collar and therefore, will tend to be more sports oriented.

These were the old times. Nowadays, Brooklyn is predominantly an immigrant neighborhood (except maybe for those glitzy areas of Park Slope and Carrol Gardens). It has enormous influx of Russians, Asians, Mexicans, etc. All those people don't care about baseball and american football - trust me. And I don't think religious Jews in midwood and borough park watch Yankees. Those people who loved Dodgers mostly moved to the suburbs in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Schadenfrau
May 12th, 2006, 05:27 PM
MrSpice, Brooklyn residents are not "predominantly" immigrants. Either you don't understand the word or you've got your facts wrong.

More and more, I'm starting to think you're a troll.

Clyde
May 12th, 2006, 05:33 PM
I'll do Queens: Knicks, Mets, Jets, Rangers.

Personally: Knicks, Yankees, Giants

The odd thing I find between people is their favorite football team. Even though this is New York, there are alot of Dolphins, Chiefs, Cowboys, etc. fans.

ironmike9110
May 12th, 2006, 05:34 PM
----

Scruffy88
May 15th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Its almost a crime to live in the Bronx and not be a yankees fan. They'll try and throw you out. I'm a closeted Mets fan. I liked them from when I was little, come on, their title are "the amazings" how awesome is that. then i moved to flushing, purely coincidence i tell you and now in the bronx I live in enemy land and am in the closet.

There are plenty of Brooklynites that I know that are pusing for the Nets to come to BK. Its not just all business. They want a sports franchise of their own and they think it would be awesome to have J.Kidd lead the way to the BK.

ZippyTheChimp
May 15th, 2006, 07:00 PM
the main difference is that most people who live in Brooklyn don't care abou sports and see no difference betwen yankees, gians and devils.Then why does an A-class baseball team sell out in Brooklyn?

Although it officially happened more than half a century earlier, Brooklyn stopped thinking of itself as a separate city when the Dodgers moved.

JCMAN320
May 15th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Ill speak for Northern New Jersey: Yankees, Giants, Nets and Devils

YANKEES: because the Yanks have deep roots in Jersey with the Newark Bears was once their minor league team and all the championship of teams of the 30s, 40s, and 50s, had those players come out of the Newark Bears and many Yankee players lived in Jersey and many old time Yankees still do. Also Yankee Stadium is geographically closer ot New Jersey and a more direct route over the GWB. Also many Yankees went to Newark when it was at its best for nights out.

GIANTS: because the Giants were the first football team to come here and we have Giants Stadium and the Giants feel more like New Jerseys teams with many players and coaches being right out of New Jersey while the Jets are more of NYC's team evident by that commercial of Eli Manning throwing the ball from Jersey City to Chad Pennington in Manhattan over the Hudson River with Manhattans and Jersey City's skylines on both side.

NETS: Because they started out as the New Jersey Americans in 1967-1968 season in the ABA and were the state's first major sports franchise. Went to deep Long Island out in Commack and then Hempstead for a total of 8 years. Came back to NJ in 1977-1978 season when they joined the NBA. Been here ever since, and god willing wil stay here once the Atlantic Yards complex falls through.

DEVILS: Well named after the legendary New Jersey Devil and have been one of the most dominant hockey teams in the NHL winning 3 Stanley Cups over the past 9 years.

TranspoMan
May 15th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Why take our word if you can analyze the statistics from the latest Quinnipiac poll when it comes to the percentages of Yankees and Mets fans by borough?
http://www.quinnipiac.edu/x11370.xml?ReleaseID=903

73% of Bronx residents think of themselves as Yankee fans while only 43% of Queens residents think of themselves as Mets fans. The poll results also include crosstabulations by gender, political party, and ethnic groups (if you're really interested).

If you closely examine the historical data from 1997 to 2005, you'll see a wide fluctuation in the percentage of Mets fans, which peaked in 2000 when they were in the Subway Series (e.g., the bandwagon effect). The Yankees have consistently made the playoffs and this correlates with their steady percentage of fans.

I think it's very difficult to distinguish between which boroughs like different sports teams and this is indicated by the Quinnipiac data. I feel that you really need to go to a regional level and also understand team's past histories. For example, the Jets have a huge Long Island fan base because they used to play at Shea Stadium from 1964 to 1983. The football Giants formerly played at Yankee Stadium and you see some correlation with Mets-Jets fans and Yankees-Giants fans. I'd say that Long Island (Nassau and Suffolk) is equally split between Rangers fans and Islanders fans. You have to understand that many people were Rangers fans before the Islanders came into existence in 1972. There might be similarities with the distribution of Rangers and Devils fans in New Jersey as the Devils relocated from Colorado in the 1982.

lofter1
May 15th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I recently went to my first Mets game at Shea and was really surprised at how poorly it was "produced" by Mets / Shea management (regarding announcers, video, fireworks, etc.).

It seemed to me that it was all aimed at about the 6th grade level.

Great weather that night, though -- and the Mets beat the Braves -- so all is good.

Schadenfrau
May 15th, 2006, 09:52 PM
All you need to know about the Mets is that rickety old apple creaking out of the top hat for every homerun.

TranspoMan
May 21st, 2006, 10:56 AM
I recently went to my first Mets game at Shea and was really surprised at how poorly it was "produced" by Mets / Shea management (regarding announcers, video, fireworks, etc.)
I guess this all depends on your opinion of the ideal in-game experience. The Yankees do more things with tradition, but I think you really have to leave New York to have a classic baseball experience. Wrigley Field only has one digital scoreboard and it only displays something like the batter's number, their average, and balls, strikes, and outs. Here's a comparison of some of the in-game experiences at Shea and Yankee Stadiums.

Seventh Inning Stretch: Mets play Lou Monte's Lazy Mary and launch t-shirts in the crowd; Yankees' play Kate Smith's rendition of God Bless America.
Race on Scoreboard: Mets have the Great Race to Shea with colored vans (replaced the airplane race after 9/11); Yankees have the subway race with the B, D, and 4 trains.
Out-of-Town Scores: Mets' scoreboard displays all games; Yankees' scoreboard displays only four or five and has to cycle through all of the games (though it does include "FG" for the score of the first game in a doubleheader).
Pitch Count for Each Pitcher: Mets' scoreboard displays total pitches, balls, and strikes, Yankees' scoreboard displays only total pitches.
Grounds Crew: Mets' ground crew is modest about their work; Yankees' grounds crew dances to YMCA in the mid-fifth.
Mascot: Mets have Mr. Met; Yankees don't have one.
Super Fan: Mets have Cow Bell Man; Yankees have Freddy Sez.
Bleachers: Mets have a small group picnic area; Yankees have Bleacher Creatures that do the Roll Call at the top of the 1st.
PA Announcer: Mets have Alex Anthony; Yankees have the legendary Bob Shepard.
View Beyond the Outfield Wall: Mets have a parking lot, junkyards, downtown Flushing, and occasional LaGuardia takeoffs/landings; Yankees have Monument Park and the Bronx County Courthouse.
Educational Opportunities: Mets teach basic Spanish phrases with Professor Reyes; Yankees test mathematical skills (e.g., add, subtract, divide, square root) using numbers of former players.

NYatKNIGHT
May 22nd, 2006, 02:59 PM
Overly simplified:

Mets/Jets/Islanders - Brooklyn, Queens, LI
Giants/Yankees - Manhattan, Bronx, Jersey & Conn.

Staten Island - ?

Rangers/Knicks - NYC
Devils/Nets - NJ

TranspoMan
May 22nd, 2006, 09:37 PM
In 1998, the New York City Independent Budget Office (IBO) conducted a study of fans at Mets and Yankees games to determine their residences. 61% of Mets fans and 67% of Yankees fans come from outside the five boroughs. After normalizing these data within New York City, I obtained the following distributions:

Bronx: 19% of all NYC Yankees fans/8% of all NYC Mets fans
Brooklyn: 19% of all NYC Yankees fans/28% of all NYC Mets fans
Manhattan: 41% of all NYC Yankees fans/21% of all NYC Mets fans
Queens: 19% of all NYC Yankees fans/38% of all NYC Mets fans
Staten Island: 3% of all NYC Yankees fans/5% of all NYC Mets fans

From these data, it appears that Mets fans are primarily based in two boroughs (Brooklyn and Queens) and that Yankees fans are primarily based in two boroughs (the Bronx and Manhattan). The IBO surveyed attendees of four games (two Mets games and two Yankees games) by interviewing approximately 1,000 persons at each event.

Here is a link to the report, which also includes distributions of fans outside of New York City (see Table 1):
http://www.ibo.nyc.ny.us/iboreports/stadiumsurvey.html

pscoln1
May 24th, 2006, 12:26 AM
Overly simplified:

Mets/Jets/Islanders - Brooklyn, Queens, LI
Giants/Yankees - Manhattan, Bronx, Jersey & Conn.

Staten Island - ?

Rangers/Knicks - NYC
Devils/Nets - NJ

Yea I will agree with you, if I had to take a stab at it, I would think stats would prove you right, but who knows...

shocka
May 31st, 2006, 07:04 PM
I recently went to my first Mets game at Shea and was really surprised at how poorly it was "produced" by Mets / Shea management (regarding announcers, video, fireworks, etc.).

It seemed to me that it was all aimed at about the 6th grade level.

Great weather that night, though -- and the Mets beat the Braves -- so all is good.

So did you go to see a show or a game? :p

I have been to few games at yankee stadium nothing stood out to me to make me think a game at shea isnt great. I guess I go just to see the game and cudnt care about the production of it all.