PDA

View Full Version : Vintage clothing stores

Genevieve
May 14th, 2006, 09:21 PM
I'm looking for vintage clothing stores in Greenwich Village. Thanks!

Schadenfrau
May 15th, 2006, 01:41 AM
You'll have better luck in most other cities. NYC is really the worst for vintage, and anything in Greenwich Village will cost far more than you're looking to spend.

Genevieve
May 15th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Oh really? hmm k thanks for the tip, are you from NY?

Schadenfrau
May 15th, 2006, 04:40 PM
As per the location listed on my profile, yes, I am.

If you're in the market for a $400 JC Penney dress, try the Village. If you'd like something more reasonable, try Beacon's Closet in Brooklyn.

ryan
May 15th, 2006, 05:04 PM
There's a Buffalo Exchange on Berry & North 8th(?) in Williamsburg. Feels like the stock of a good thrift store upstate at 10x the price.

ablarc
May 15th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Google "vintage clothing greenwich village." You'll find quite an impressive selection of shops.

ryan
May 15th, 2006, 11:20 PM
You do a lot of vintage shopping in the village, ablarc?

ablarc
May 16th, 2006, 02:47 PM
You do a lot of vintage shopping in the village, ablarc?
My wife does. Every New York visit she finds something unique and funky that you couldn't get at any price where I live. So what if used clothing costs more in New York? Nearly everything else does, too.

Schadenfrau
May 16th, 2006, 03:23 PM
The cost difference between vintage clothing in NYC and elsewhere is a hell of a lot higher than the difference in the price of milk or something. I love vintage clothing, but there is no way I'm going to pay hundreds for something that would literally cost under ten anywhere else.

I wasn't kidding about the $400 JC Penney's dress. I saw it in a shop on Rivington, and it hadn't even been dry cleaned.

The Spence Chapin thrift store uptown frequently has great stuff, but searching for vintage downtown is about as smart as going to Yankee Stadium to find a hot dog.

ablarc
May 16th, 2006, 03:49 PM
there is no way I'm going to pay hundreds for something that would literally cost under ten anywhere else.
I live in the wrong anywhere. The stuff my wife finds she can't come across here for $10 or any other price. And she's a [much too] avid shopper. ;)

Maybe she has over-refined tastes. But I have to admit the stuff she finds in New York looks pretty nifty and unusual to me too. Come to think of it, sometimes I help her pick it out. :D

You'd have to expect that folks' discards would be more interesting in a big city like New York, full of creative nonconformists.

ablarc
May 16th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Did we chase Genevieve away? Come back, Genevieve, you're missed. :(

Genevieve
May 17th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I'm here now:P well thanks everyone for the tips! I'm gonna look around Toronto first and see what I can come across. I wanted to go to this used clothing store in downtown TO called Black Market but my friend wouldn't let me go in there b/c she said it's sketchy, lol.

Schadenfrau
May 18th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Why bother with the Village when you've got Kensington Market in Toronto? I don't think I've ever seen such a concentration of great, cheap vintage shops, minus maybe Portland, Oregon.

NYatKNIGHT
May 18th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Schadenfrau, you obviously know what you're talking about - thanks for the insight. I admit, I don't venture far beyond the Village when looking for vintage clothing, but then I usually don't shop for it either. HOWEVER, I need to find a 50's/60's era lounge lizard outfit, sort of Rat Pack style. I figured it woudn't be hard to find at least a nifty jacket somewhere nearby. But you're right, everything I've seen in the Village is way more than I wanted to spend. So your advice would be to try Spence-Chapin and/or Beacon's Closet? Where's the closest reasonable vintage store to Soho, meaning, not a rip-off?

Schadenfrau
May 18th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Rags-A-GoGo would probably be your best bet:

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/listings/stores/rags_a_gogo/

Still, I can't recommend Spence-Chapin enough. My boyfriend hates to shop, but had a job interview last week and needed a spring suit. He came back with a whole slew of clothing from J. Press, Brooks Brothers, and Calvin Klein. And this is a man who complains about the price increase for a pair of Dickies pants.

ETA the link:

http://www.spence-chapin.org/071.html

NYatKNIGHT
May 18th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Thanks! I will try both.

Genevieve
May 18th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Why bother with the Village when you've got Kensington Market in Toronto? I don't think I've ever seen such a concentration of great, cheap vintage shops, minus maybe Portland, Oregon.
True say, just I'm obsessed with NYC:p