PDA

View Full Version : Irving Plaza and other gig venues

Superdupes
May 18th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Hello ,

Could any of you nice people be kind enough to tell me anything about Irving Plaza as a venue and surrounding bars/ clubs etc...

I'm hopefully going to get tickets for Echo & the Bunnymen in July when I visit and fancy going to a club/bar afterwards.

Kill Boy Kill are supporting also and they are a great new band.

Also what is the best venue in NY to watch bands?

Anarchy77
May 18th, 2006, 09:33 PM
I strongly suspect that Irving Plaza is still a good place to see shows eventhough I haven't seen one at the place since the late 80's, but I've walked by it in recent years. Very spacious and a balcony that encircles the place. Too many other places to see shows and drink--when you come to the city, pick up a village voice or a ny press for free in the east village and you'll find listings for the clubs and bars to check out.

GINGER
May 20th, 2006, 08:39 PM
We visited NY in february,while there we saw Black rebel motorcycle club at Webster hall,a fantastic old venue,bars easy to get served in, and the strangest toilets you'll ever use (well they were for us Brits!!),great venue!!!

Ninjahedge
May 22nd, 2006, 09:16 AM
Was there for Supergrass a ways back. BMRC opened for them AAMOF!

The place is nice. Has a nice selection of beers on tap, and teh layout is pretty good. I do recommend that you get there a little early, go to the bar, and try to get a good spot when they open up. Best is usualy on the balcony because it is easiest to get there and back (the main floor can be hard to pass on when it is full).

Warning though. If you smoke, all NYC is no-smoking. We saw quite a few trying to sneak stuff on the main floor when we were there. The bouncers DO come looking for you!!!!

smackfu
May 22nd, 2006, 01:28 PM
It's not a bad place to see a show. It's convenient to the subway and there are plenty of garages and restaurants around.

The best venue in NYC is probably the Bowery Ballroom. It's smaller and has a better bar/lounge.

Ninjahedge
May 22nd, 2006, 05:30 PM
Bowrey was fun too...

Geez, I forgot, which one has the balcony with the bar on it? Was that Bowrey or was that Irving?

GINGER
May 22nd, 2006, 06:54 PM
The thing that really amused is at Webster hall was the toilets,our toilets generally are the urinals,sit downs,these toilets (Webster hall) were worth the admission fee alone,as you walked in there was a mini disco,complete with subdued lighting,the guy doing the disco was selling sweets and anti-perspirant,as you had your pee there were ice cubes(not sure if they were real,I didn't wanna touch!)filling the troughs!In the sit downs you had fluorescent spotlights!!!Fantastic toilets!!!The wife was equally impressed by the ladies toilets too!