PDA

View Full Version : New to Manhattan - grocery store, dog walker

bluegreyeyes
May 18th, 2006, 10:26 PM
I am signing a lease tomorrow on an apartment on the UES and I'll be moving in mid June... I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but what is the deal with the grocery stores & markets in the city? Is there a "cheap" one? I can't stand Whole Foods but I was wondering more Gristedes vs. Food Emporium vs. independent markets? I dunno, just wondering.
Also, if anyone knows of a good dog walking service around 85th & 3rd, I have a 4 year old lab mix. I've heard some real horror stories so I want someone with a reputation for being reliable and honest.

CMANDALA
May 19th, 2006, 05:44 AM
if anyone knows of a good dog walking service around 85th & 3rd, I have a 4 year old lab mix. I've heard some real horror stories so I want someone with a reputation for being reliable and honest.

Go to Carl Schurz Park at E86 and East River. There is a small dog run there. Everyone is friendly. Ask any questions you want. I'm sure they'll have some suggestions.

MrSpice
May 19th, 2006, 09:57 AM
I am signing a lease tomorrow on an apartment on the UES and I'll be moving in mid June... I know I'm getting ahead of myself, but what is the deal with the grocery stores & markets in the city? Is there a "cheap" one? I can't stand Whole Foods but I was wondering more Gristedes vs. Food Emporium vs. independent markets? I dunno, just wondering.
Also, if anyone knows of a good dog walking service around 85th & 3rd, I have a 4 year old lab mix. I've heard some real horror stories so I want someone with a reputation for being reliable and honest.

I think one of the best and least expensive grocery store in the area is Pieoneer on the corner of Lexington and 92nd. There's also Key Food on the corner of 92nd and 2nd Avenue if you need some basic pre-packaged food (their free dali, fresh produce and anything else "fresh" is terrible), but they have good pices on cerial, canned foods, etc. - below the price you would normally find in Manhattan supermarkets.

Schadenfrau
May 19th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Both Pioneer and Key Foods scare me. If you're willing to travel a bit, the two Fairway markets on the west side are known for being both cheap and good.

ryan
May 19th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Key foods is the "fancy" grocery store in my neighborhood...

MrSpice
May 19th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Both Pioneer and Key Foods scare me. If you're willing to travel a bit, the two Fairway markets on the west side are known for being both cheap and good.

Pieoneer on 92nd Street and Lex. is not scary at all. No need to go all the way to the west side to visit Fairway. Fairway has a better selection of fruits and vegetables and is a great store. But for basic everyday needs, this particular Pioneer is just fine.

ablarc
May 19th, 2006, 02:59 PM
Both Pioneer and Key Foods scare me.
Spoiled meat? Salmonella?

Schadenfrau
May 19th, 2006, 03:06 PM
I've seen expired scallops at the Pioneer on 92nd and Lexington. It's also pretty dirty every time I've been there. I am kind of a grocery snob, though.

MrSpice
May 19th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I've seen expired scallops at the Pioneer on 92nd and Lexington. It's also pretty dirty every time I've been there. I am kind of a grocery snob, though.

I am used to making sure I check the expiration dates on everything I buy at the grocery stores. I always check for the expiration date and make sure it's not close in any store and would advice everyone to do just that. Realistically, she is not going to travel to Upper West Side each time she needs to buy a carton of milk or a can of soup.

ablarc
May 19th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I've seen expired scallops...
It's when you can't see they've expired that you need to worry. ;)

ryan
May 19th, 2006, 03:26 PM
No one should have to check expiration dates in a grocery store.

I am kind of a grocery snob, though.
Ever been to a Wegmans?

MrSpice
May 19th, 2006, 03:42 PM
No one should have to check expiration dates in a grocery store.

Ever been to a Wegmans?

I lived in Syracuse and went to Wegmans all the time. It's a great store. And even there I always check expiration dates. Sometimes, the expiration date is very close. And for some products nopwadays, thet put expiration date 6-8 months forward. It's always good to check the expiration date to make sure it's far into the future. Health is the most imortant thing and even good stores make mistakes and/or don't remove produce until the actual expiration day. I don't want to eat sour cream that has the expiration day of tomorrow.

MidtownGuy
May 19th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Wegmans... the most amazing food stores. Whenever I visit my mother upstate, a trip to one is inevitable. They blow away any food store I have ever visited.

Schadenfrau
May 19th, 2006, 03:51 PM
I've never been to a Wegmans, but now I want to try.

I'll pick up milk or canned goods almost anywhere, but if I'm buying produce or meats, I'll walk 60 blocks to the best store. Don't mind me, though. I also see nothing wrong with spending three hours cooking a meal for two.

NYatKNIGHT
May 19th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Exactly - meat, fish, and produce are not bought at the grocery store (Associated is my closest). Luckily, I have a butcher, fish market, and decent produce stand within one block. Ah, New York.

ryan
May 19th, 2006, 05:18 PM
I grew up with Wegmans and never, ever checked an expiration date. It's actually a store's job to go through their inventory to throw away expired stock. I asked a friend who runs a grocery store about this b/c when I moved here I kept encountering expired food and I wanted to know why. She told me stores can buy food cheaper closer to the expiration date (like a bread outlet) or that they push the almost-expired food from their warehouses to "ghetto" stores where they don't think people will complain. So aside from a fluke, expired food = a store to be avoided.

I might expose myself as crazy with my milk issues, but anyhow, I have trouble buying milk in Brooklyn that hasn't turned. I don't mean expired, and I don't mean chunks, but milk should have no funk whatsoever - it should be pretty much odorless. Milk gets a funk if it comes to room temperature - which it does at crappy grocery stores like mine where they leave it on the sidewalk for a few hours.

I spent a whole day buying and returning funky heavy cream when I first moved here... then I gave up and went to Balducci's. Dairy quality (along with laundry) is one of the few things that NYC does worse than flyover country... It helps me eat vegan, though, and I think that's a good thing.