PDA

View Full Version : New Years in Times Square

caligirl06
May 19th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I hope I am posting this right since this is my first post here. lol. I am coming to NYC for New Years and was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Times Square celebration. I know it is way in advance but I was just curious how early we should get there and any other info on that experience would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

MidtownGuy
May 20th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Hi, welcome to the forum. People start gathering in the afternoon I guess. Of course, you don't have to get there quite that early. The thing is, the cops assemble the people into barricade pens. As the pens fill up, you can't really leave to go to the bathroom or anything unless you want to give up your place. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've heard.

Of course, for tourists it's a special thing to experience at least once, but no New Yorkers that I know ever go there for New Years. They mostly hit the clubs or parties around town.

You'll have a good time no matter what. Cheers!

User Name
May 20th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I was in NYC for New Years 2005, I'll pass my slight knowledge on to you.

Ask a few cops where they'll be staging people for readmission into the area, usually around 5 or 6 pm.

I suggest heading for one of the areas on 8th between 44th and 46th (before 4pm) to get back in for what I would consider the best view (Broadway at 46th) of the ball drop.