PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Cowtown!

moogyboy
May 22nd, 2006, 09:48 AM
hello everyone

A quick hello and introduction from this most flavorless of quote-unquote big cities, Columbus, Ohio. I hope to get to know some of you and hopefully take away some useful knowledge as I've pretty much made it a goal to relocate within three years or so. I'l tell you more of my story later but basically I'm a 32 year old, male, lifelong Columbus resident; graphic designer by day, semi-professional musician at night; member of a close-knit, rather possessive Greek family; and sick to death of living here. Also an incurable sufferer of Buck's Syndrome--I've wanted, to one degree or another, to live in New York City ever since becoming aware that it wasn't just the semi-mythical land where Sesame Street took place. Lately that desire has become rather serious. And hopefully I'll learn a thing or two from some of you nice folks that will help me get there.

Till I think of something a little more substantial to write I offer you...

cheers

Billy S.

MrSpice
May 22nd, 2006, 06:07 PM
hello everyone

A quick hello and introduction from this most flavorless of quote-unquote big cities, Columbus, Ohio. I hope to get to know some of you and hopefully take away some useful knowledge as I've pretty much made it a goal to relocate within three years or so. I'l tell you more of my story later but basically I'm a 32 year old, male, lifelong Columbus resident; graphic designer by day, semi-professional musician at night; member of a close-knit, rather possessive Greek family; and sick to death of living here. Also an incurable sufferer of Buck's Syndrome--I've wanted, to one degree or another, to live in New York City ever since becoming aware that it wasn't just the semi-mythical land where Sesame Street took place. Lately that desire has become rather serious. And hopefully I'll learn a thing or two from some of you nice folks that will help me get there.

Till I think of something a little more substantial to write I offer you...

cheers

Billy S.

I visited Columbus on business a couple of times. There are some nice parts (like Dublin). And people are very polite and nice - I felt nicer than New Yorkers. And the roads are great and there was rarely any traffic. So, in terms of a typical "American" living, New York cannot come close to Columbus. On ther other hand, Columbus is a big boring suburbia :) Everything closes early and people drive to get anywhere - almost no one walks. So, New York is a different world. It has a Europe-like environment where people live in apartments, walk to shops and restaurants and often don't even have cars and use public transport to get to work...

moogyboy
May 23rd, 2006, 02:46 PM
I visited Columbus on business a couple of times. There are some nice parts (like Dublin).

Personally I loathe Dublin except for the shopping; it's the epitome of the kind of soulless suburbanality that makes me want to go to NYC.

And people are very polite and nice - I felt nicer than New Yorkers. And the roads are great and there was rarely any traffic. So, in terms of a typical "American" living, New York cannot come close to Columbus. On ther other hand, Columbus is a big boring suburbia :) Everything closes early and people drive to get anywhere - almost no one walks.

You got that right. Overall it's very white-bread, bland, oppressively average. There are some bright spots--we have a very lively local music scene, of which I'm an active participant, and some nice funky/artsy neighborhoods--but overall very boring. They like to call it the Test Market Capital of America.

I firmly believe that part of our problem is our lame attempts to co-opt certain external trappings of NYC so that people will take us seriously--a Disney World simulation of a Real World Class City. Right now the big fad is luxury lofts in our downtown district...a downtown that is 90% government offices, 9% non-retail business ie insurance, a few restaurants, a couple of night clubs, and 99% deserted after 8pm. Doh.

So, New York is a different world. It has a Europe-like environment where people live in apartments, walk to shops and restaurants and often don't even have cars and use public transport to get to work...

Yeah...parts of NYC I've seen remind me of when I stayed in Germany in college. Those walk-up apartments and corner stores and such. My kind of environment.

cheers,

Billy S.

Ninjahedge
May 23rd, 2006, 03:34 PM
Welcome to Pleasantville!

pscoln1
May 24th, 2006, 12:23 AM
Yea I have never been to Columbus but ironically my sister just got back from visiting there and said great things. Then again there is a large Greek population here and I know that they are a very tight nit group of people. By the way, the movie "my big fat greek wedding," is most of what goes on in that movie true, for example, spraying windex on your bruises and cuts...jk!