PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions for you.

Matte__86
June 4th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Me and my friend are going to NYC in late November this year (21Nov - 5Dec) and we got a couple of questions for you to answer ;).
We come from Sweden, 20yrs old and both students, we dont really have that much money, so we are on a tight budget.
We'll be living at two different hostels (one week each), YMCA Vanderbilt and Times Square Hostel.

The questions:

1. Anyone heard anything about these two hostels? good/bad?

2. We will be looking at the Macy's parade but not sure of where to be and when to be there. So best location and time of the parade would be nice.

3. Also we'll check out the lightning of the Rockefeller christmastree, but again, not sure of the time this will happen.

4. Whats Central Park like in this time of the year? Is it just a bunch of "naked" trees or will they be fully clothed?

5. When does the Christmasdecorations begin~?

6. The tourbuses, can you buy tickets on location or do you need to book tickets in advance?

7. If we would be some electronic things (wich are much cheaper in the US than in Sweden), will they function over here also? (230V from the wall sockets).

8. Where could we get detailed and printable maps over Manhattan and Central Park?

9. Whats the weather like in late November/early December?

Last question.
10. Since we will be in NYC for two weeks, we might have to wash our clothes now and then. What about laundrys? is there alot of them in the city? and how much does it cost? do we need to bring our own soap and things?

Thank you.

/Mattias

antinimby
June 5th, 2006, 01:59 AM
I'm unable to answer all of your questions, but I'll try my best with a few of them.

1) Try going through these threads: Hostels (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5090), Hostels in New York (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4265), Hostel help (http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7898).

2) Try this website, it even has a map of the parade route and answers to your questions: nyctourist.com (http://www.nyctourist.com/macys_map.htm)

3) This is taken from the official Rockefeller Center site (http://www.rockefellercenter.com/home.html):

The 2006 Tree Lighting Ceremony at Rockefeller Center November 28, 7:00-9:00pm (Date not yet confirmed)

Take part in a New York City tradition at the 74th Annual Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony.
The 2006 Tree Lighting Ceremony will be a star-studded event broadcast live on NBC. Come celebrate the holidays at Rockefeller Center!

4) Both! The leaves are in the last stages of falling of the branches by that time of the year.

5) It seems like they begin earlier and earlier each year, but generally, the Christmas decorations go up right after our Thanksgiving holiday (25th of November), so you'd be just in time to watch them go up!

6) Not sure, never been on them myself but I'm sure you can buy them on the spot.

7) Not sure.

8) The internet or you can buy maps at stationary stores, gift shops at the airport, bookstores, etc. There are many places to get them, you won't have a problem finding them.

9) daytime: 10 ° C , overnight: 4 ° C

10) Not sure about the availability of self-service laundry facilities in that part of town. Maybe the hostels will have them?
Bringing soap from overseas is unnecessary and will take up your luggage space and add weight, so don't bring them. They are not expensive and are widely available in many food stores and drugstores like Duane Reade for example (in Manhattan, you will have no trouble finding Duane Reades :D)

Good luck and have a great time in New York! :)

Matte__86
June 5th, 2006, 06:13 AM
Thanks!
Great info you got there. If I could I would give you a kiss ;).
I'm so exicted going to NYC, I just can't wait.

Thank you.

/Mattias

lofter1
June 5th, 2006, 09:39 AM
RE: X-Mas Decorations

5) It seems like they begin earlier and earlier each year, but generally, the Christmas decorations go up right after our Thanksgiving holiday (25th of November), so you'd be just in time to watch them go up!

Lots of decorations go up right after Hallowe'en :mad:

Way too early IMO ... but such is the situation with retailers in NYC

milleniumcab
June 5th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Hello, excellent questions, here are some answers...

But first let me try to save you some aggrivation when you first arrive .. I have a feeling you will be heavy on luggage, coming for two weeks.. if you choose to take a taxi into the city, make sure it's a yellow one..some people will most likely approach you to ask if you need a taxi.. DO NOT go with them, you will get ripped off.. Just go the yellow taxi dispatch area and see the uniformed yellow taxi dispatcher...if you are too heavy with luggage, you can always request a minivan yellow taxi...

Now, your answers:))

1..I would definitely choose YMCA Vanderbilt before Times Square Hostel... there are also more Hostels that are good if you are willing to share your room with others..dorm style..they will most likely be even cheaper in price..a couple of them are Chelsea International Hostel at 251 W20th Street(excellent location) and Hostelling International New York at 891 Amsterdam Avenue( in Upper West Side, around 103rd Street)... for such a long stay that time of the year, you should book early to find room...
visit this web site: www.hostels.com/en/us.ny.ny.html (http://www.hostels.com/en/us.ny.ny.html)

2..Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is on November 23, 2006.My favorite spot is Colombus Circle, but there is more action by Macy's, 34th and Broadway..Whichever location you choose, try to get there early..You can also enjoy the night before when they blow up the balloons around the Museum of Natural History, W81st to W77th, between Colombus and Central Park West...That' always fun..;)

3..That one I'm not sure.. They light the tree, either a week before Thanksiving or a week after..I always forget for some reason:))

4.. It really depends on Fall season how rapid the temperatures drop.. But I would say the Central Park is mostly naked by that time, a few trees are evergreens..But I personally like it better. All trees show their age and character and each is unique..

5.. It seems like earlier every Year.. Don't worry , they'll all be up before you get here..

6.. You said you will be staying for a couple of weeks.. That's plenty of time to see the city on your own. If you ask me tour bus would be a waste of money for you.. but in any case, you don't have to buy tickets on line.. you can wait untill you get here... Agents with Red Jackets sell them everywhere that time of the year..

7.. For electronics there is only one store worth mentioning...B&H at W34th & 9th Avenue...I don't reccomend you shop anywhereelse, B&H offers the biggest selection for the best price in my opinion...One more thing, If the sales people at B&H tell you it will work in Sweden, it will work in Sweden.. I am just not sure if other electronic stores are as knowledgeable or HONEST....

8.. I got mine from Barnes & Noble Book Store... They have pretty good ones....

9..If you are wondering what kind of clothes you should bring, I say bring some light clothes along with winter clothes.. My suggestion is, bring layers of clothing and be prepared to take them off or put them on ;).... It can be quite cool or quite pleasent.. one can never tell.

10..There are laundrymats in every neighborhood. There are more in residential ones but you will find one whereever you are..They are usually around $2.00 per load. You don't have to bring your own soap, they all sell soap and bleach, just enough for a single load..

It's a good time of year to come, New York is always very pretty between Thanksgiving and Christmas..:)

Ninjahedge
June 5th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Electronics are also good at J+R. The guys there are pretty good, but you would have to compare between the two and see if you get the same answer from both....

Somtimes electronics are best to get online. Depending on how long you are staying, you may be able to get them delivered to where you are staying! You will have to check delivery policies though.....

The worst that could happen would be certain standards (liek video or power) would not be the same and you would have to purchase converters for some of the equipment. It would be more or less convenient depending on what you are looking to get and how often you use it....

milleniumcab
June 5th, 2006, 05:33 PM
I would still recommend B&H over any electronic store.. There is only one and has the best reputation in the city..and if I am not mistaken, you can have them ship it to your home adress in Sweden, to avoid paying taxes on the item..of course this choice is not a good one if you want use it while you are here::D visit the web: www.b&h.com

milleniumcab
June 7th, 2006, 11:09 PM
The only J&R I would shop in is across from the City Hall Park...There, you will get knowledge and expertise...not BS..;)