PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Germany Black Forest

Katrin
June 13th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Hey fellars,

a big hello from Germany. I was happy to find this forum about New York, the city I like most!:) I visited NY February 2004, it was very nice there and very very cold and freezy!
What I love about New York? It is easy to say, the people, the different cultures, the diffents types of food, the seightseeing, the clubs, bars....everything!
I am 26 years and I am writing to you from the black forest in the south of Germany. Here we have now the football WM.

Regards
Katrin;)

lofter1
June 13th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Hello Katrin --

Do you live anywhere near Wurttemberg? Distant relatives of mine came to this side of the Atlantic from that area many many years ago -- first arriving in New York in 1710 and then eventually in the 1720's settling in Pennsylvania.

Below are some images of what the Wurttemberg area looked like back in the olden days ...

krulltime
June 13th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Germany Black Forest?

Sounds like a place that is right out from a fary tale.

Katrin
June 14th, 2006, 02:33 AM
Hi,

yes, I live in Baden Württemberg, close to Stuttgart. It is calling Black Forest, because there are so much of trees in this area.
Do you watch the football champions chip? Or aren`t you into football?

ablarc
June 14th, 2006, 07:42 AM
It is calling Black Forest, because there are so much of trees in this area.
Not only much of trees but also little of billboards. Europe, with all its population, has preserved its scenic beauty much better than North America. I marvel at this on every visit to Europe.

Watched Brazil beat Croatia yesterday.

Welcome, Katrin.

Patrick Pearse
June 14th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Think Germany will win the World Cup? :)

Katrin
June 14th, 2006, 09:00 AM
I don`t think so. Brazil is such a good team, they deserve to win!;)

Ninjahedge
June 14th, 2006, 09:21 AM
I just keep thinking "cake".

:)

Patrick Pearse
June 14th, 2006, 11:01 AM
I don`t think so. Brazil is such a good team, they deserve to win!;)

I think Argentina are in with a good chance if they beat Holland.

Gregory Tenenbaum
June 14th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Hey fellars,

a big hello from Germany. I was happy to find this forum about New York, the city I like most!:) I visited NY February 2004, it was very nice there and very very cold and freezy!
What I love about New York? It is easy to say, the people, the different cultures, the diffents types of food, the seightseeing, the clubs, bars....everything!
I am 26 years and I am writing to you from the black forest in the south of Germany. Here we have now the football WM.

Regards
Katrin;)

Very nice part of the world.

I was in Ober Sachsen last week.

I prefer the Sumava (other side of the border from the Bavarian Forest) myself.

Whats the name of the French part of the forest?

Katrin
June 14th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Sorry, I do not know, should I?
Ah, you were in Ober Sachsen, well, you were in the deepest east of Germany I would say. Did you understand any word in German? Probably not?! They have a very strong accent.

Gregory Tenenbaum
June 15th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Yes the deep end of east Germany

Where, thank goodness, the culture of shopping malls and fast food are not so popular.

They recently rebuilt Dresden, fantastic city, and Leipzig, Bautzen, Gorlitz are all nice.

Compared to the rest of your country I really feel as if Sachsen is the real "old" germany, a lot of other places feel as is they are just another modern european city.

Katrin
June 15th, 2006, 05:20 AM
Sorry, but I don´t think so. I do not like the east of Germany.
A very beautiful city is München or Köln. You missed something, if you had not visited these cities.
Yesterday Germany won 1:0 against Poland.

ablarc
June 15th, 2006, 08:04 AM
Like Italy, Germany creaked with well-preserved antiquity. That was largely reduced to rubble. Only pockets survive; even Nuernberg is a shadow of its former Gothic self.

You can't blame Americans for disinterest in modern Germany; it reminds them much too much of home.

Patrick Pearse
June 15th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Did anyone else see the fights last night before the Poland-Germany match?
Here is what I think the "trouble makers" could have been arrested as they were going to the match, that would isolate them from the normal fans. The Cops made the wrong desicion and tried to arrest them in the open air. They started trouble because they knew they weren't going to get anywhere near the game.

Gregory Tenenbaum
June 15th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Sorry, but I don´t think so. I do not like the east of Germany.
A very beautiful city is München or Köln. You missed something, if you had not visited these cities.
Yesterday Germany won 1:0 against Poland.

Katrin, the cold war is over

Its not Ossies v Wessies you know

Have been to Koln and Munchen - nice

But Dresden is far better in my view, it is more like Prague and Vienna.

I can understand why you dont like the east. But we here in the west think its rather cool.

Gregory Tenenbaum
June 16th, 2006, 04:32 AM
Here's Dresden.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/41/Dresden1.jpg

Katrin are you near Freiberg? What outstanding things are a must see in your area?

Katrin
June 16th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Do you mean Freiburg?
Well, here in the south of Germany, you have lots of nice trails, mountains to climb for example, you can visit the nice "Schwarzwald Häuser", you have the "Bodensee" a very nice lake, etc. Everything is here green.
Where do you come from?
I am planning to visit NYC again, but this time, I want it more exciting, I want to go to different bars, clubs, museums, etc. Can you advise something?

Gregory Tenenbaum
June 16th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Yes,

Be careful in Times Square.

Too many hookers and hustlers trying to sell you fake Louis Vuitton.

Katrin
June 16th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Are you kidding? Unfortunately, I have to tell you, that I got a faked one! I bought it when we were there 2004.:p

Gregory Tenenbaum
June 22nd, 2006, 08:18 AM
You're not the only one who bought one.

I love Saxony, it's fabulous. Great public transport there.

LadyLiberty
August 9th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Katrin, the cold war is over

Its not Ossies v Wessies you know

Have been to Koln and Munchen - nice

But Dresden is far better in my view, it is more like Prague and Vienna.

I can understand why you dont like the east. But we here in the west think its rather cool.

Katrin, I also can´t understand you.
Well, I was born and grown up in the east of Germany. And now I am living in the west.
Dresden -for example- is a wonderful and beautiful east german-city. Did u ever were there?
:)

greets
LadyLiberty