PDA

View Full Version : Bush, Kerry and the Playboy

Gregory Tenenbaum
June 14th, 2006, 12:55 PM
This may be old news for some (especially the other family members) but they are all related. I somehow missed this during the election.

Bush, Kerry and Hugh Heffner - all distant cousins.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/03/04/politics/main604163.shtml

ZippyTheChimp
June 14th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Pity they weren't more closely related. Both Bush and Kerry would have benefited.

Gregory Tenenbaum
June 14th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Zippy its damn amazing.

Who would have thought either were related to the worlds coolest retiree. I semi retired at 28 but Hugh takes the cake.

Ninjahedge
June 14th, 2006, 01:41 PM
To get a better idea of what this means, how many people are related to each of these men as far out as 9th cousin twice removed?

I am thinking quite a few, several thousands? It all depends on how "frisky" their family trees were. One person down the line having 10 kids and the numbers can easily explode.

Gregory Tenenbaum
June 16th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Did you find the stats?

Probably not 2 presidential candidates within the 9th Cousin band. But I don't really know.

Probably not 2 presidential candidates AND the worlds luckiest straight man - that I'm almost certain of.

Ninjahedge
June 16th, 2006, 12:34 PM
What is the official definition of the 9th cousin twice removed?

Removed is maybe the sposes relative spouses kid? (Your uncles kid is your cousin, but is once removed your uncles wifes brothers kid?)

And ninth just means another generation down, your uncles kidsbrothers kid? I can't see cousin being repeated more than just being another generation down the line of the first cousin....

If that was the case, and you came from a family of 3, and each had 3, 9th cousins would be 15 (your parents and two siblings for each) times 3 to the 8th power, which means 98,415 people.

If a "removed" is how I described it, then it should double (at least) the # of people in the loop. So that would go 4X more to 393,660 people.

So, say in 1960 which is a little later than they were born, the population was about 178.6M

158M of them were "white"

So teh chances that these two were related, given a 3 kid per household AVERAGE birthrate for the past 160 years or so would be about 1/400.

What are the chances of that happening?

Oh, and the chances of 3 males being related?

1/161,000

Rare, yes, but that is taking any of them out of the pool. If you take where they were born and raised, you would see the numbers drop even further.

Hell, take the famlies of 3-6 that were also prevalent early on and it gets even more likely.

I really hate it when people play aound with things like Heredity and try to make some sort of stupid nonsensical connection with it.