PDA

View Full Version : Help! Cost of NY living...

luc-skywacko
June 15th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Hi everybody... I'm a designer planning on studying the basics of photography in one of the greatet cities in the planet.

I'm planning on staying there for about 6 months (unless I find a job) so I'm saving some money, the thing is... I just want to know how much is it gonna cost me each month? (I'm talking about apartment fees, food, transportation... the basics)

The courses are at The new school in Greenwich Village... But I really don't mind the commute if it means cheaper lodgings.

Thank you for your advice!

RandySavage
June 15th, 2006, 03:50 PM
If you're trying to live in New York "on the cheap", the rents are what will kill you. It's really expensive. You can find a livable studio somewhere in Manhattan for around $1,300 - $1,500/month (cheaper if you have roommates or live in the outer boroughs).

Food and transportation can be had relatively cheaply.

A 30-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard is $76

Food: ~$30 day, say $5 breakfast, $8 lunch, $15 dinner

In total, living by yourself and "just getting by" in Manhattan for 6 months will cost you around $15,000. That doesn't include "splurges" such as nightlife, museums, decent restaurants, etc.

ryan
June 15th, 2006, 04:12 PM
I think it's easy to live on less than $1K a month. Not in Manhattan. Studios in Greenpoint or East Williamsburg (both easy commutes from the New School) run about $800. An apt share in Brooklyn or Queens (Craigslist is a cliche reccomendation b/c it works) could be half of that. Most museums have free days/nights (or the New School might have a relationship to look into). Don't each out.