PDA

View Full Version : Route into the City??

JackStraw
June 22nd, 2006, 05:15 PM
Hi All,

I'm coming into the City (by car) from DC and wonder if anyone could give me advice on what route I should take to get to Brookland (close to Driggs Ave. near the Brookland Bridge). Are there any routes that people could suggest that would have the least amount of crazy traffic?

I plan to leave about noon from DC and assume it's best to take I-95 all the way up for the 4 hour drive(?). From there I'll be at the mercy of the traffic muses, unless someone out there can help out with some good insight!

Thanks a bunch!

Jack:confused:

ryan
June 22nd, 2006, 05:33 PM
I can imagine you'd have trouble using google maps to find your way... Driggs doesn't go anywhere near the Brooklyn Bridge. If it's Driggs you want, take the Williamsburg Bridge to the BQE towards Queens and exit at McGuiness Blvd. It's a few blocks down and you'll only be able to take a left.

Schadenfrau
June 22nd, 2006, 06:26 PM
Brookland is in Northeast Washington, DC. It's not going to take you four hours to get there.

antinimby
June 22nd, 2006, 06:30 PM
Hehe.
Schad, I think he means Brooklyn, New York.

ryan
June 22nd, 2006, 07:22 PM
I suspect she's being a bit sarcastic...

ablarc
June 22nd, 2006, 07:51 PM
Not hospitable.

New Yorkers are polite, friendly and helpful.

milleniumcab
June 23rd, 2006, 01:56 AM
Hi All,

I'm coming into the City (by car) from DC and wonder if anyone could give me advice on what route I should take to get to Brookland (close to Driggs Ave. near the Brookland Bridge). Are there any routes that people could suggest that would have the least amount of crazy traffic?

I plan to leave about noon from DC and assume it's best to take I-95 all the way up for the 4 hour drive(?). From there I'll be at the mercy of the traffic muses, unless someone out there can help out with some good insight!

Thanks a bunch!

Jack:confused: I understand it is Driggs you want, tell me the date and the day you will be getting here, then maybe I can help you..You really want to get here, instead of leaving DC, around Noon..Rush Hour is always a challenge in NYC..

JackStraw
June 23rd, 2006, 09:50 AM
Thank you very much for the help. We're going to leave today around noon, and I guess we'll just get there when we get there.

Thanks again!

P.S. No I wasn't trying to be a checky about the spelling of "Brookland" for Brooklyn - Its just my finders type faster than my brain thinks!

antinimby
June 23rd, 2006, 09:55 AM
Well, at least, it provided a bit of amusement for us.

Ninjahedge
June 23rd, 2006, 11:14 AM
If he is coming from DC, wouldn't Staten Island be faster?

Come up the NJ Turnpike untill you get to the Goethals (I think), traverse Staten Island, come across the Verizano Narrows Bridge and go (North?) on the Belt Parkway.

I am not sure where you are going in Brooklyn, but I think this route is faster so long as you leave in time to beat the rush...

I would recommend you leave at maybe 10 or 11 to miss both rush hours (leaving DC and crossing NY).

milleniumcab
June 23rd, 2006, 10:35 PM
If he is coming from DC, wouldn't Staten Island be faster?

Come up the NJ Turnpike untill you get to the Goethals (I think), traverse Staten Island, come across the Verizano Narrows Bridge and go (North?) on the Belt Parkway.

I am not sure where you are going in Brooklyn, but I think this route is faster so long as you leave in time to beat the rush...

I would recommend you leave at maybe 10 or 11 to miss both rush hours (leaving DC and crossing NY).

It really would depend on the time and the day they are coming. I would take the Holland Tunnel to Williamsburg Bridge, personally. SI Expressway can be brutal at times...It would help to listen to 1010 Wins for traffic reports also..

NYatKNIGHT
June 26th, 2006, 02:56 PM
I'd go through Staten Island unless shadow traffic said otherwise. Someone who doesn't know the roads would have a hard time getting through the Holland to the Williamsburg. It can be daunting, to say the least.

baby_pun113
June 26th, 2006, 06:14 PM
Hi All,

Thanks a bunch!

Jack:confused:

It's called Brooklyn. :p

milleniumcab
June 26th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Ninjahedge & NYatKnight, you are both right.. Commonsense would tell one to drive through SI and take BQE from the Verrazano Narrows Bridge.. It is just that I had terrible luck with SI Expressway and the BQE quite a few times. I find the Holland Tunnel to be the best entry point into the city from NJ, most of the day. from there it is an easy crosstown drive to Willamsburg Bridge...

Gunslinger
June 27th, 2006, 08:00 AM
While discussing the merits of different routes - any suggestions for this please:

Driving from Philly & picking up friend @ JFK then heading to an apartment in Chelsea.
There will be 4 of us all with significant luggage so public transport not really an option. Can anyone suggest the best route from JFK to Manhattan by car - not massively worried about tolls, more concerned with time & sanity

Thanks

ManhattanKnight
June 27th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Van Wyck Expressway to Long Island Expressway (westbound) to and through Queens-Midtown Tunnel into Manhattan.

ryan
June 27th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Driving from Philly & picking up friend @ JFK then heading to an apartment in Chelsea.

Unless you REALLY like your friend or are broke, I'd ask them to take a cab to Chelsea. Depending on the traffic, you could be looking 2 hours of really unpleasant traffic to pick them up. In rush hour traffic it takes me an hour just to drive from the Midtown Tunnel to Chelsea.

milleniumcab
June 28th, 2006, 10:58 PM
My favorite route from JFK is Belt Parkway West to Cross Bay Blvd. NORTH to LIE West to Midtown Tunnel.. Cross Bay Blvd. becomes Woodhaven Blvd and connects to LIE. It has lights but you'll save good 20 minutes, Van Wyck is impossible these days with construction...;)

But gunslinger, why don't you take Ryan's advice and drive to Chelsea and have your friends take a yellow cab into the city. You will save yourself a whole lot of aggrevation...

Gunslinger
June 29th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks for the advice guys !!

Three of us will be coming from Philly after spending a few days there & in DC; only one person flying in to JFK
Any idea how much a cab from the airport to Chelsea is likely to be?
How much easier will it be to drive from Philly directly to Chelsea without the pick-up @ JFK?
Obviously if the airport trip is going to make it soooooo much worse then maybe I can swing my friends opinion and if we all help out on the cab fare it'll be money well spent

Will discuss with the others but unfortunately think I might get out voted (despite being the chump who'll be doing the driving)

Dropping the hire car off in Manhattan & with the amount of luggage we're likely to have (we're away from the UK for 2 wks) it just seemed easier to drop the car off in Manhattan - not looking forward to negoitating the traffic though

Off to see a game in Yankee Stadium that evening so really want to be settled and relaxing in the apartment before heading out again - maybe I can convince the person concerned that she's better off taking a cab?!?

Ninjahedge
June 29th, 2006, 08:52 AM
She?

um.....

Have fun driving man! ;)

Gunslinger
June 29th, 2006, 06:16 PM
How right you are !!!!

Ninjahedge
June 29th, 2006, 06:43 PM
GF asked me if I wanted to go to the outlets this weekend.

Actually, she rephrased it. SHE would like to go, would I like to come with her.

HER friend is going and has gotten her hubbie to drive, and they might drive us as well.

Things is, he does not like shopping. I do not like shopping. GF does not drive, GF's friend does.

Why is it that the guys have to drive the women to a place that they (the guys) do not want to go to? "Her husband is nice"

ouch.

Also "Oh, she does not like to drive long distances"...

But it is OK for the guys to do it.......

DISCRIMINATION!!!!!!!! I mean... Yes Dear... ;)

Schadenfrau
June 30th, 2006, 12:11 AM
Yeah, those women sure love to shop and gossip and those fellows never put the toilet seat down and hate to ask for directions.

Just tell her you'll meet up with her later, Ninjahedge.

milleniumcab
June 30th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Ninjahedge.... You aren't married yet and you are saying "YES DEAR" already...Boy, she has you trained well, isn't she?...:D:D:D

milleniumcab
June 30th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Cab will cost $45 plus toll and tips. She can also take the bus to Port Authority..
Chelsea is a very short cab ride from there...both will be under $20...

Ninjahedge
June 30th, 2006, 01:46 AM
Yeah, those women sure love to shop and gossip and those fellows never put the toilet seat down and hate to ask for directions.

Just tell her you'll meet up with her later, Ninjahedge.

Heh.

She has the magic power of Guilt combined with a Pout-O-Matic guilt gun that makes it very hard for me to refuse even the most painful of sojourns or expeditions..... ;)

As a guy that asks for directions more than his woman, and puts the seat down (both lids ladies!!!) I know that all ladies do not gossip or shop, but why do so many do?

Actually, I think I know. I really don't care. I just wish they did not think it was somehow a male obligation to not only accompany (or chauffeur) but to enjoy it as well! ;)