PDA

View Full Version : I'm moving to NY on about $600, where can I stay?

stanteau
June 22nd, 2006, 10:44 PM
ME and my girl are moving tomorrow (Friday the 23) on about $600 and we pretty much have noone to stay with. I plan on finding a job the DAY I arrive.

Is there like youth hostels that we can stay at or (and I'm being dead serious) anyone wanna rent me a couch for 2 weeks or so? Email me at stanteau@gmail, call me at 419-902-7404 (this is the way to get me really) or just reply and tell me how big of an idiot I am.

rknarr
June 22nd, 2006, 11:31 PM
good luck, $600 doesnt go a long way!

ZippyTheChimp
June 23rd, 2006, 07:42 AM
http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/usa/new-york-city/

You'd better find a job fast. That $600 will evaporate quickly.

stanteau
June 23rd, 2006, 08:49 AM
I'm not being arrogant but I plan on spending NO money except on cheapo food (a $3 gyro for instance) and the subway and yes, I plan on doing nothing but finding a job until I get one

antinimby
June 23rd, 2006, 08:53 AM
Looks like you're coming from Toledo, Ohio.
Why such a hurry to move?

stanteau
June 23rd, 2006, 09:17 AM
I'm in a city that's newspaper even calls a sinking hole and I've been unemployed for far too long, I wanna find the American dream that 18.5 million people have.

antinimby
June 23rd, 2006, 09:22 AM
What do you do and what are you planning on doing?

stanteau
June 23rd, 2006, 09:23 AM
I was a donor processor at a plasma center, I plan on hopefully getting hired at one in NY (there has to be at least 1) and if not just whatever pays somethin, I'm not better off here

antinimby
June 23rd, 2006, 09:30 AM
I'm sure there are.
But what are your ultimate goals?
I mean, you can be a processor in other places, why come here to do that.

stanteau
June 23rd, 2006, 09:37 AM
Cause it's New York man, the land of opportunities and dreams

antinimby
June 23rd, 2006, 09:43 AM
But that doesn't make sense though.
Sure, there are opportunities, but for what? Which opportunities are you looking for, what field?
You can't expect to just come here and all of sudden hit it big, but have no idea what that is.
Anyway, it's none of my business but I was just curious.

MrSpice
June 23rd, 2006, 10:06 AM
Well, there are probably opportunities to work as a waiter or work in a clothing store or something - or work as a mover. You know, a young man with a good pair of hands can find a job, but finding something that will allow you to live here (pay a deposit for an apartment, pay rent, food, etc.) is more difficult. And that girl you're coming with, is it your girlfriend and can she work as well?

If I were you, I'd save up some more money and get some kind of profession/degree/education so that you can really have an opportunity here rather than landing here with very little money and very little hope.

Ninjahedge
June 23rd, 2006, 11:07 AM
Or try Southern California if you want to try to slum it with little $$ overhead.

NYC is a place where you can make it, but you really need to know which direction you are going first.

baby_pun113
June 26th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Very very poor planning you did. First off all, you don't move when you didn't even find a place to stay, nothing to sleep on and barely any money. Go to craigslist.com New York>(CLICK BOROUGH YOU WANT)>Apartments & Housing>(BOROUGH YOU WANT AGAIN). :rolleyes:

MrSpice
June 26th, 2006, 06:25 PM
stanteau - It's unclear from your post why is it so urgent that you move now when you have so little money saved up? Why not get more experience in a particular profession for both of you and save more money so you can start living the American dream here rather than really struggling to survive?

antinimby
June 26th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Too late, they might be here already.

mrsbobbygoren
June 26th, 2006, 09:27 PM
Too late, they might be here already.

:) :D ;)

sean
June 29th, 2006, 10:37 PM
I love this guy's enthusiasm. My grandparents and their generation came over with nothing in their pockets. I'm sure it seemed impossible then, it certainly seems impossible now, but $600 is way better than what they had to start with. Good luck.

mrsbobbygoren
July 6th, 2006, 07:05 PM
You have a point Sean, I like the way you think!;) :D