PDA

View Full Version : 19 yr old Irish girl moving to NY alone!

Irishgirl19
June 30th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Hi guys

I am a 19 yr old girl (nearly 20) from Ireland. I irish/american (my dads from new york) ... i am moving to NY in august. I am really independent and I am going on my own I have loads of friends here but none of them have US passports so I decided to go on my own for a while and see how I get on.

I have nothing planned yet. No job, no friends, no apartment.. Can anyone give me some tips on how I should plan my trip I am moving in 5 weeks!!!

Also what would an average salary be in NY for a 20 yr old girl on a full time professional role - I am currently on a good salary here in Dublin, and what kind of salary would I need to survive over there?!

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!! :D :)

Schadenfrau
June 30th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Are you authorized to work in the US? Do you have a college degree?

krulltime
June 30th, 2006, 12:52 PM
She might be legal since her father is from New york.

Irishgirl19, if you plan to live in Manhattan you might want to atleast make 100,000 a year... If you want to live in the other borughs then you can make less money than that.

What kind of jobs are you looking for or are interested to you?

Irishgirl19
July 1st, 2006, 08:00 AM
ya i have an american passport cos of my dad so im allowed work there! well i am a junior office manager here in Ireland currently and I worked my way up without a degree.....

100,000 dollars???????????????/ :O duz every1 who lives in manhattan make this kind of money a year!?? What if I live in one of the borroughs???

lofter1
July 1st, 2006, 08:20 AM
$100K not needed if you get a roommate living situation.

Figure 1/3 of your salary for rent / month (~$1K), plus another $200+ for utilities / phone. Another $500 / month for food, etc.

That's up to ~ $21K / year without lots of extras.

And don't forget to subtract the taxes that will come out of your paycheck and / or be due to US / NY State / NYC.

Do the math and see where you stand ...

Schadenfrau
July 1st, 2006, 10:58 AM
It's generally very hard to find office work without a college degree.

OmegaNYC
July 1st, 2006, 07:47 PM
If you want to move to NYC, you could do what many people have done in your situation, and that is move to the NYC metro area. Such as North Jersey. If an apartment is to expensive in Manhattan, try to find one in Hoboken, or parts of Jersey City. It's very close to Manhattan, and you'll be able to move back and forth to the city, via bus, PATH train, or ferry. Once you saved up enough money, or find a place to move to in the city. Then take it. ^_^

sean
July 2nd, 2006, 12:44 AM
you could stay at my place

... what? can't blame me for trying

mrsbobbygoren
July 6th, 2006, 07:03 PM
you could stay at my place

... what? can't blame me for trying

Can I stay at your place?;) Just kidding!