PDA

View Full Version : Route: Rockefeller Center to ESB?

ajkaz11
July 6th, 2006, 10:04 PM
My trip coming up next week (excited!)

I only have one night to shoot the city, so I am cramming the Top of the Rock and ESB into one evening. What is the best route to get from TOTR to ESB around 10pm? And how long does it take?

Thanks!

-I'll be on foot, so what method of transport will be best...

pianoman11686
July 6th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Rockefeller Center is located off of 5th Avenue, about 15 blocks due north of the Empire State Building, which is at 5th & 34th. Your best bet is just to walk. 15 blocks, at average walking speed, shouldn't take you more than 20 minutes. If it's raining, you could take the subway. The B/D/F/V line stops at Rockefeller Center (47th & 6th, but there are several additional entrances around the area), and takes you right to Herald Square (34th & 6th), which is only one block from the ESB. The subway ride itself shouldn't be more than 2 or 3 minutes long. If you're taking it at 10 o'clock, though, you might spend a good amount of time waiting for a train to pull in.

shocka
July 8th, 2006, 11:43 AM
you could always use a cab, saves you the time of looking for the subway and walking, but costs SLIGHTLY more. Great option if Time is a real issue

milleniumcab
July 9th, 2006, 05:06 PM
15 block cab ride will cost you about $5, subway is $2.. Why walk up and down subway stairs and the city blocks just to save $3.. See a cab, take a cab..;)

ajkaz11
July 10th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Yeah gonna take a cab I think- should save time.

I'm trying to do all of my shooting in one jam packed evening.

-Top of the Rock until pitch black (when does that happen this time of year? Anyone?)

-Then straight to Times Square to do that shot with the fisheye lens, maybe some with the 24-70mm to make a panorama. Get some long exposures...This leg will have to be quick...

-Then to ESB. I believe the last elevator goes up at 1115.

I pretty much know where I'd be going, anybody got any tips to make this little excursion easier? It will be on a normal weeknight. (not Friday...)

ManhattanKnight
July 10th, 2006, 05:02 PM
-Then to ESB. I believe the last elevator goes up at 1115.

That's changed:

From June 22nd through September 10th, 2006, the 86th and 102nd floor
Observatories will stay open until 2:00AM on Thursday, Friday and Saturday
nights.

The last elevator will go up at 1:15 AM.

http://esbnyc.com/index2.cfm

ajkaz11
July 10th, 2006, 05:15 PM
Well that helps! Hooray for summer hours.

Thank you.

In the midst of my crazy excitement, I am compelled to thank everyone who has contributed and helped me in preparing for my trip. And I will surely be thanking you all again.

I'll be sure to post some shots next week. Night photography is one of my greatest passions, and there's no place than NYC to shoot.

Ninjahedge
July 10th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Walk it.

it is about 20 small city blocks to a mile, and the 20 minute estimate is a good guess.

If you walk, and are carying camera gear, you can probably get a few good shots of the street on your way down.

ajkaz11
July 10th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Exactly what I was thinking. Walking will yield great photo ops, and now that I am not as tight on time (ESB closes at 115), I can take my sweet old time.

I'll probably head straight from the Rockefeller Center west to Broadway, and take that down to Times Square. Or would would 7th be more photogenic?

lofter1
July 10th, 2006, 07:34 PM
7th avenue from 51st to TS doesn't have much -- except the very cool LED display across the front of the Lehman Brothers building.

From there you can go right on down 7th to TS or cut over to Broadway -- 6 of 1 / half a dozen of the other in terms of vistas / sights.

pianoman11686
July 10th, 2006, 08:34 PM
15 block cab ride will cost you about $5, subway is $2.. Why walk up and down subway stairs and the city blocks just to save $3.. See a cab, take a cab..;)

I sense a conflict of interest...http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

milleniumcab
July 10th, 2006, 09:54 PM
You could call it that...;)