PDA

View Full Version : Newburgh, NY

ArchiveNYC
July 7th, 2006, 01:28 AM
I believe Newburgh, New York is the next big thing for NYC. Newburgh, is located 60 miles north (1 hour drive) of Manhattan. Ever since 9/11/2001, people from the city who have a family have moved up into this area. It used to only take about 3 minutes during our "rush hour" to get to McDonalds on back roads. It now takes about 10 minutes, due to an increase in traffic. I also read on Forbes, that Newburgh's Stewart International Airport (SWF), which does not handle international flights for passengers at the moment, only international cargo, is considered as the #1 desireable airport within close range of the NYC metro area to expand, and turn it into another JFK / LGA / EWR. Newburgh is also ranked (acoording to Forbes) around 40 out of 100 as one of the best places in the United States to start a business (with 1 being the best, 100 being worst of the best). Stewart Airport is also the nations #1 fastest growing airport.

Opinions on Newburgh? Been to Newburgh? Never heard of Newburgh? Share.

MiddlesexCountyMan
July 11th, 2006, 10:29 PM
I heard of Newburgh but not very good things about it (i.e. it is kind of dumpy). My cousin lives in in Pike County, PA and sometimes often goes to Dutchess, Orange (NY) and Sussex County(NJ) for work and complains about Newburgh. I hear the immediate area around Newburgh offers quite living and is affordable which is something that is impossible in NYC, Long Island, Northern NJ, Westchester, etc. unless you are rich. Dutchess, Orange, Sussex, and the rural counties of the NY metro are growing fast these days (I think) for good reason. The Forbes ranking you mentioned is evidence of this.

TonyO
July 12th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Newburgh is a small town across the Hudson from Beacon (a stop on the metro north line). It has a main street that runs right to the river and is a very "up and coming" place. That said, there are a lot of run down buildings in the downtown area. Closer to the river there are a lot of well-kept and newer buildings.

If I were living upstate and looking for a place to buy, this would be it. As I understand it, the town actively negotiates with developers/investors. It has been burned in the past by speculators so it is wary of promises and requires plans and milestones. If you can jump through the hoops there are cheap lots/buildings to buy.

UpstateSun
July 12th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Newburgh is up and coming. Nearly dead for many years, from the once beautiful city of it's history, and it has much history, it is getting a breath of life.

It's my understanding that decades ago, urban renewal was used in this city and ran it into the ground....and I speak literally. Tons of buildings, historic and otherwise have been bulldozed. Much was lost. Developers are beginning to realize the wealth of resources it has, mainly the Hudson River. The river is building steam and a full head of it. Take a ride to Front Street, down on the water, and see the trendy, hip, packed on weekends, bars, and restaurants. Tie your boat up, park your car and enjoy. I'm there often.

It's 8 miles to Metro-North in Beacon, by car. There is a cross river ferry for commuters and recently there has been talk of a high speed ferry to Manhattan....doesn't hurt to take a look.

Hope that's been some help to ya.:)

czsz
July 12th, 2006, 08:34 PM
I've always thought a ferry up the Hudson would be a wonderful idea. It could not only serve towns up and down the river, but weave from side to side, connecting them laterally as well.

fondoo
January 1st, 2007, 03:44 PM
Hi, I'm new to Newburgh, NY. I recently been relocated to Newburgh, NY. I commute to and from NEwburgh everyday from New York City. Can anyone sugguest a good place to rent, somewhere close and near supermarkets or even the mall. I'm also interested in purchasing a condo-2br. Does anyone have any sugguestions on a good location?? Thanks in advance.

Peakrate212
January 23rd, 2007, 01:41 PM
Hi, I'm new to Newburgh, NY. I recently been relocated to Newburgh, NY. I commute to and from NEwburgh everyday from New York City. Can anyone sugguest a good place to rent, somewhere close and near supermarkets or even the mall. I'm also interested in purchasing a condo-2br. Does anyone have any sugguestions on a good location?? Thanks in advance.

Fondoo - what do you think of Newburgh so far? Is it the "next big thing".......I really like Beacon across the river.......and my bet is also on Bridgeport coming back.

jarod213
March 6th, 2007, 11:08 AM
So Stewart Airport it is...as the Port Authority begins to extend its ever-increasing sphere of influence northward. Stewart Airport has joined La Guardia, JFK, and Newark as the fourth regional airport, run by the Port Authority. This solidifies the plans to run a Hudson Line-connected train over the Tappan Zee up to Newburgh, with stops in between. They will surely need high speed access, not just regular MetroNorth service, to Newburgh. How can they ensure tapping the NY traveler market, if it takes over an hour to get to Stewart? This is entirely political, as they could just allow NJ Transit to run the train up to Newburgh; but, since MetroNorth is a partner in the TZB project, and Stewart IS in New York, MetroNorth is it. Also, Newburgh is actually in the middle of a huge redevelopment, which involves Superstar urban planner, Andres Duany of Duany Plater-Zyberk... creators of Seaside, Florida (think "Truman Show"). It's called New Urbanism, and it's HOT! The large lawn near the old train station in Newburgh, and more abandoned waterfront, is the site of this incredible new development. The company that Andres Duany started to complete this project is called "Leyland Alliance." Check it out!

Pheenix
April 19th, 2007, 11:36 PM
I recently got interested in Newburgh as a place to relocate myself. I currently live in Westchester and can't stand the home prices and taxes. I drove through Newburgh back in 1994 and couldn't get out of there fast enough. I revisted last summer and couldn't believe the improvement. I was interested in a large property on the north end of Grand St, but didn't buy because I thought the price was too high. I kinda regret it because the prices seemed to have popped now that the Stewart and Leyland news have been released.

The housing prices have sky rocketed. My concern is this: the prices that sellers are asking are almost as high as some areas in Westchester like Mount Vernon, Yonkers, Peekskill. It seems real estate is pricing in a slam dunk for a new Newburgh that won't be seen for at least a decade. Development does not happen overnight afterall. I have to wonder how much of the price increase is speculation. I went with a real estate agent to scout things out. I am seeing a lot of properties that are being sold after only a couple years ownership, several are work-in-progress renovations that the owner seems to have given up on.

I still believe Newbugh has better days ahead, but I think the prices are too aggressive right now. I feel like once all of the good news is out, prices will settle back to more reasonable levels and increase at a rate commensurate with the progress of improvements. At this point, I am just having a hard time figuring if Newburgh is in a transition period or a speculative bubble.

Paul