PDA

View Full Version : Survey: Do you ever need to look at subway maps when navigating manhattan?

nyc_rocks_2006
July 8th, 2006, 07:24 PM
For local new yorkers only, do you ever need to consult subway maps when going to places in Manhattan? Hehehe...

lofter1
July 8th, 2006, 07:43 PM
Yep --

When I headed up to Maggie's Garden for the JB memorial planting (and before when I went up that way to check it out) I was heading up from different parts town. Ended up going uptown on the 1 and coming back down on the B.

Even after all these years I'm still confused by the 4/5 lines below Brooklyn Bridge.

Service changes on weekends often cause me to check out the map -- usually on board a train which means I'm leaning down over some poor soul who is sitting in front of the map.

You'd think they'd place the maps a tad higher :o

stache
July 8th, 2006, 07:46 PM
I like the maps in the station better than the ones in the cars.

nyc_rocks_2006
July 8th, 2006, 10:07 PM
If not, it's a site that gives you exact subway/bus direction from point A to point B in NY. It's almost like the subway/bus version of driving directions. www.hopstop.com

milleniumcab
July 9th, 2006, 03:03 AM
I don't think the commuters need the map but if I am out and about, going to a place I seldom go or never been then I will definitely need the MAP.. New York Subway system is huge..

Schadenfrau
July 9th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Not in Manhattan, but in the outer boroughs, yes.

User Name
July 9th, 2006, 05:09 AM
I'm not from NYC, however one thing the MTA could do is upgrade the stations (think London) with better signage - that way I could figure east from west and uptown from downtown.

shocka
July 9th, 2006, 01:58 PM
i actually made the subway map into wallpapers for my cell phone so now i have a map with me at all times.

I need a map usually just to figure out what street the train exactly stops on.

TranspoMan
July 9th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Long ago I memorized the map in Manhattan so I can travel without looking like a tourist. Now I am perfecting the art of getting on the train in the precise location that I need to exit without having to walk along the platform at my destination station (e.g. getting on the train at the door that will open in front of the staircase I want when exiting the train).

lofter1
July 9th, 2006, 04:33 PM
And getting in the car that will open precisely in front of the turnstiles at your chosen stop ;)

milleniumcab
July 9th, 2006, 04:58 PM
^^ Spoken like a true NYC Subway commuters...I remember those days...:)... I used to be one, many years ago..

Ninjahedge
July 10th, 2006, 08:58 AM
It gets harder when you are not a commuter and you try to remember where every station has an exit......

As for signage, I think they should eb more liek Tokyo.... Airconditioned subways and stations, cleaned CONSTANTLY, with arrival/departure schedules in LED hung above the platforms. More expensive? Yes, but also less of a bother.

BRT
July 10th, 2006, 01:33 PM
I don't think that NY subway stations will ever be as clean as Tokyo stations for the simple fact of 24-hour operation. I don't disagree that the MTA could probably do a better job of keeping the stations clean, but the constant operation will always be a major stress factor on this.

I'm not sure what the benefit of LED scheduling signs would be, at least not compared to the cost. I used to live in DC, and although it was sort of nice to have a general idea of when your train would be arriving, it was ultimately a pretty meaningless feature. It would be sort of nice to know the wait at night so that you could gauge whether or not to take a cab, but it's easy enough to just take a cab if you don't want to wait, prepare to wait otherwise, and celebrate if you get lucky and catch a train within 5 minutes.

Air conditioning would be nice but I imagine it would be enormously expensive to rig for the entire system.

Ninjahedge
July 10th, 2006, 01:53 PM
The system there works differently. They have guys cleaning the drain gutters with hand scrub brushes all during the day.

The LED schedule thnigs tell you what train is coming, where it is going, and when it will be there. It is not just a schedule, it is a schedule they actually KEEP!

The AC would be difficult, I agree, but I can still hope for it!

BTW, Japanese rail is much more expensiev than it is here. Not only that, you pay for how long you ride it! You go from central Tokyo out to the boonies and you pay more than going 2 stops.

That would be interesting to see if it could be implimented here, but it would be a logistical nightmare and meet with a LOT of resistance!

ryan
July 10th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I prefer the straphangers interactive map (http://www.cmap.info/netmaps/straps/View.asp). I don't need a site to tell me how to transfer - I just need to see the closest station to my destination.