PDA

View Full Version : Coney Island Cyclone

pluto
July 9th, 2006, 03:38 PM
I think I'm gonna come up from Philly tomorrow for the sole purpose of riding this sucker. But here's my question...am I able to pay just to ride the Cyclone or is this ride like part of an amusement pier that I would have to pay an entrance fee to?

Also, my friend tells me this is the best way of getting there, and I quote "walk from the bus station to 42nd and 5th ave, take the D or F to stillwell ave -- its like the last stop, when you get off just head for the rides, you can't miss them." Sound good? How long a ride is that?

milleniumcab
July 9th, 2006, 05:26 PM
http://www.nycsubway.org/maps/route/

N, Q, D and F will all take you to Stillwell Avenue in Coney Island.. The N and the Q stops at Times Square Station at W42nd and Broadway (which is only a block away from Port Authority) and it looks like the Q will be the fastest way to Coney Island, it makes the least stops in Manhattan and is the most direct in Brooklyn. I would say about an hour maybe little over...

When I used to go to Coney Island, I remember having an option of buying a package or purchase single ride tickets.. I think it's still like that..

Enjoy the Cyclone...and the Nathan's Famous Hot Dogs...;)

pluto
July 9th, 2006, 05:28 PM
thanks! :)

milleniumcab
July 9th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Anytime...

TranspoMan
July 9th, 2006, 10:26 PM
I'm pretty sure you have to pay each time you want to ride the Cyclone. The last time I rode it, they give you the option to stay on the coaster (and not have to wait in line again) if you want to pay for another ride.

Scruffy88
July 21st, 2006, 07:05 PM
you pay per ride. last year was about 5 bucks for the cyclone.

wightgurl
July 31st, 2006, 08:32 AM
So, the cyclone is the `coaster in Astroland that is still standing and not the roller coaster that was torn down (the one that was built on top of a house)?

BrooklynRider
July 31st, 2006, 11:05 PM
The one torn down that was built over the old Kensington Hotel (as seen in Woody Allen's "Annie Hall") was the Thunderbolt - a John Miller designed classic from 1927. The privately owned coaster, delapidated and sitting on private property was destroyed on orders of Mayor Rudy Giuliani in the early morning of May 26th, 2000. The owner sued the Mayor and city for the illegal demolition and won in court. Coaster enthusiasts know a John Miller coaster is the gold standard in these rides. To destroy one - and one of this quality design - was a crime. It was located at Henrson Walk (now demapped) and Bowery.

The Cyclone was built in 1927 by Harry Baker and designed by Vernon Keenan, who also designed the Atom Smasher in Rockaway Playland - now defunct. It was one of the fastest coasters and had the steepest drop on any coaster in the world for over 50 years. It speeds exceed 65 mph. It is on West 10th Street & Surf Ave.

The two other major coasters at Coney Island were

(1) The Tornado (originally known as the Bobs), built on 1926, designed by Fred Church and destroyed by a series of fires in 1978. Many coaster enthusiasts would swear its endless turns and compact design were superior to the insane plunges of the Cyclone. It was located at Stillwell Ave and Bowery at the Boardwalk.

(2) The Bobsled - A flying turns roller coaster, designed by John Miller, that ran as a bobsled style ride on a twisting, banked wooden track. It occupied a lot at West 12th Street and Bowery,

One could walk down the midway on the Bowery in Coney Island and see the neon of these coasters lined up for perhaps the best foursome of classic wooden coasters ever to exist in one amusement park.