PDA

View Full Version : How to immigrate from Canada

Emma_
July 11th, 2006, 05:17 PM
Any Canadians here? What are the steps to becoming an American Citizen?

Jake
July 11th, 2006, 06:56 PM
the steps are similar to the ones people take to immigrate to Canada. You can either have a family member (sibling, parent, spouse) or through an employment program.

I'll tell you right away that being sponsored through work is going to take YEARS. The immigration agencies in America employ some of the dumbest people holding federal jobs. I don't know exact numbers or if the programs are even still in effect because for the past few years there has been a lot of changes to immigration law (mostly restrictive).

Personally I don't know your situation but I have no idea why someone from Canada would go through this very expensive and time taking process when you can find everything in Canada.

I'm just curious, why would you want to move here? Change of scenery? Job opportunities?

ManhattanKnight
July 11th, 2006, 07:10 PM
If you're looking for information that's responsive to your inquiry, and not an uninformed, dispeptic rant questioning your motives, this would be a good starting point:

http://www.usembassycanada.gov/content/index.asp

My general impression -- and it's just that -- is that, under NAFTA, Canadian citizens may immigrate to and work in the US more easily than those from most other countries. Gaining citizenship, of course, is another matter. Good luck.

Jake
July 11th, 2006, 09:28 PM
What rant? I am questioning the motives for immigration due to the fact that most people have a severely skewed and uninformed view of life in America. Those with relatives in other (even Western European) countries will be quick to tell you of realtives asking for expensive gifts thinking everyone here makes 100,000 a year.

What I said about Immigration agencies is true. Just like the USPS the employment regulations are ridiculously accepting of employee inefficiency. What used to be the INS had delays of like I said, years. The requierements are steep for skilled workers and require commitment to the same employer (or prompt rehiring) for a few years.

If you want to witness how well they work I suggest you visit the downtown Brooklyn office where it takes them hours to process people with very simple requests.

Recent law changes cancelled the visa lottery and raised the requirements for applicants for skilled worker status which provides that you could come here if you already have a job position.

While ManhattanKnight is absolutely right that the Embassy will give you correct info, your best bet for finding the huge number of details about the process is from people who went through it.

MrSpice
July 11th, 2006, 11:21 PM
ManhattanKnight is right and Jake does not know what he is talking about. Canadians are different in their ability to get immigration papers at the border if they have a job lined up in the US because of NAFTA provisions. And they don't need any visa to visit the US. So this general talk about immigration to the US is not relevant here.