PDA

View Full Version : Does Manhattan Have A Dress Code?

andyschest
July 14th, 2006, 03:04 PM
I apologise, in advance, for what probably seems a lame question.

I'm coming over in 2 weeks for the usual tourist activities and I'm guessing it's going to be quite hot. Anything over about 22c is hot to me. I was planning to wear shorts during the day, every day, and maybe pants in the evening. I was just wondering, are there going to be places I might go during the day such as museums and restaurants (for lunch) where shorts are not really acceptable?

Schadenfrau
July 14th, 2006, 03:12 PM
I think shorts are okay for a casual restaurant, but definitely not for something nicer.

New Yorkers don't wear shorts nearly as frequently as everyone else in the country. Why not just wear light pants?

User Name
July 14th, 2006, 03:37 PM
I suppose you could check and see if anything shows up in Zagat (http://www.zagat.com/newyork) as far as what the restaurants you were thinking of visiting have for a dress code.

I know from experience that Patsy's (http://www.patsys.com) (for example) has a no shorts rule; Smith and Wollensky (http://www.smithandwollensky.com/) is business casual.

Ninjahedge
July 14th, 2006, 04:00 PM
There is no real code in NY, AAMOF, for any code, there is a spot you will find that will have the exact opposite, so don't worry too much about it.

I would pack a pair or two of light slacks though. Then, after being around a bit, you can decide what will make you more invisible to the people out there.

If someone comes up and asks you directions, you are probably blending in... ;)

andyschest
July 14th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Thanks. Have added light pants to my shopping list for tomorrow.

Zerlina
July 16th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Well... it depends on the restourant... In Rainbow Room (Rockefeller Center) I couldn't get in because I was wearing a pair of jeans... and I back to the hotel (luckly just on 7th Ave) to wear a nice dress:cool:

ablarc
July 16th, 2006, 01:19 PM
^ Sorry you were inconvenienced, Zerlina, but I guess we agree it's OK there are still places like that. :)

BrooklynRider
July 16th, 2006, 10:42 PM
I believe a man or woman, wearing a lovely, tasteful dress will be seated in the Rainbow Room.

Schadenfrau
July 16th, 2006, 10:45 PM
I'm completely glad their are still places like that. When did people start thinking it was A-OK to hit a good restaurant dressed like they were going to a softball game?

Luca
July 17th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Well...the ehat..you know.

I have to say that I've always found that if you don't dress as a slob or a tourist when you are a tourist you generally get cosndierably better treatment.

krulltime
July 17th, 2006, 11:10 AM
This is funny, beacuse a friend from switzerland came to visit me last year and I took him all over in NYC... but one of his comments was the lack of people dressing better at museums and churches (I believe that he meant St. Patricks and Morninside Churches.) I told him that most of them are visitors and most are from all over the country and that they tend to pack and wear shorts and shirts when vacationing, so many americans just don't like to be too dressy when traveling.

lofter1
July 17th, 2006, 11:20 AM
With the temperature scheduled to hit 100+ degrees today (even above 90 is way-crazy uncomfortable to me :( ) shorts are really the only way to go if you're out and about.

Although I agree that when going to the theatre shorts don't cut it.

Museums? Why not -- IF you've got the legs for them ;)