Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: High Line Area Development

It seems strange to me that, again, the clubs are the first to gentrify a neighborhood (along with the gallery scene), the luxury buyers move into the nabe, and then inturn, desire to kick out those businesses that made the neighborhood so "cool" to begin with (okay, the Highline is also a HUGE factor too, but you see my point). Back when this nabe was made up of middle class and low income housing (have some friends on 10th Ave being kicked out cause their apt is going luxury condo) where was their voice?

These business's are a huge source of tax revenue for the city - you would think it in our best interest to help continue that flow of revenue, especially since many of those club kids on Thur - Sat are bringing their cash in from across the Hudson inside our borders.

Why doesn't the city just create a nightclub district? This area is far less populated than other parts of Manhattan and the other boroughs, and where will the clubs go once they cannot get a liquour liscense within its area (always be a demand)? To cheaper parts of the city where the working class citizens also do not have such a strong voice, repeating the whole process again?

I guess I'm just young, and love to go out, so while I don't patron this area, I still feel a tad victimized by this ideology.

Surely there can be a better way.

Quote Originally Posted by kurokevin View Post

Why doesn't the city just create a nightclub district?
    Not cool enough -- part of what makes the nightclub scene so happening in NYC is the sense of "new territiories".

It shifts by the year: SoHo > Tribeca > East Village > LES > Meatpacking >>>>

I'm just glad it's moved on and out of my neighborhood -- less due to regulation than rent increases and the desire of clubbers to find new ground.

I've thought about that too, Lofter, but isn't past and current club enviroments the product of zoning and regulations anyway? Enviroments that have allowed cabaret and liquor licenses to be issued?

It's not like I"m suggesting a closed off area with flags on the sidewalk proclaiming "Clubland", or "Hiptown", but just a zoning allowance that creates a seperation between Residential and high density nightlife so that both can live, serpate, but equal.

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

Default Boy are you a kid . . .

the rest of us remember thirty years ago, when that was Times Square.

ali r.

This just seems like another step in the sterilization of NYC. Soon everything will be for rich families with kids and night life will be a thing of the past. Times Square is totally tourist oriented with very little left for New Yorkers (except kids who parade up and down 42nd St.)

“Boy are you a kid . . .”

At 23 years old, yes, I am a kid, but I would appreciate if instead of discrediting my opinions and ideas you could share yours in a legitimate discussion.

Writing me off for my youth is ageism, and beside the point. My generation of club kids have been raised on a very different mentality than yours from 30 years ago. We are a generation produced in the wake of the AID’s epidemic and D.A.R.E. when sex and drugs were seen in a very different light. It is very different than that of the 1970’s, whether you deem that good or bad.

Now to question your comment, what exactly does “the rest of us remember thirty years ago, when that was Times Square” have to do with what I’ve previously mentioned?

Default Liquor-License Freeze Enacted in N.Y.

September 7th, 2006 NY Times - The state liquor board yesterday imposed an immediate four-month freeze on approving liquor licenses for areas of New York City that already have three or more license holders within 500 feet of each other
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/07/ny...on&oref=slogin

Quote Originally Posted by pioneer View Post
    The recently demolished building on West 19th street between 10th and 11th now has a sign posted on the barrier announcing a new condo http://www.520westchelsea.com/

Do you know anything more about this development?

Default Sorry Kurokevin . . .

when you are forty, you will realize "boy you are a kid" is the greatest compliment in the whole world!"

You asked about zoning creating a 'nightlife district' -- my impression is, that's how the old bad Times Square came to exist, that all the red-light businesses were in one place . . .and at the time the area was a lot more seedy than it is now, it was downright dangerous. So I was reacting to you proposing a solution that I remember having already been tried.

ali r.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

I'm surprised Roseland hasn't been torn down. That's such a large lot.

Default 511-517 west 23rd

Anybody know what's going up where the old liquor store under the Highline on 23rd used to be? I know it's a residential bldg by Alf Naman...anybody seen designs?

^ http://www.cityrealty.com/new_develo...cr?noteid=9181

Actually stache...
    http://www.vjbconstruction.com/under...hp?sub=rec_pro

Roseland Housing
    239 West 52 Street
    New York, NY 42-story residential project 460,000 sq. ft

Quote Originally Posted by Front_Porch View Post
    You asked about zoning creating a 'nightlife district' -- my impression is, that's how the old bad Times Square came to exist, that all the red-light businesses were in one place . . .and at the time the area was a lot more seedy than it is now, it was downright dangerous.
    It was sleazy for sure, with lots of dicey characters, but it wasn't really dangerous. Too many people around to be that.

Default Times Square once dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    It was sleazy for sure, with lots of dicey characters, but it wasn't really dangerous. Too many people around to be that.
    I disagree that Times Square "wasn't really dangerous." I remember my 6'6" uncle, a Native New Yorker, getting rolled in the '70s. (How inebriated he may have been is still a topic of family discussion.)

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post

Despite all the people around TS back in the day, one night in the mid-80's I saw a guy holding aloft a big piece of pipe and chasing some other dude around the NE corner of 42nd / 8th Ave -- when he caught up with him on 42nd (just about in front of wher Chevy's is now) he wailed on him, right there on the sidewalk.

Lots of people -- everybody just watchin' ...

Probably a crack deal gone bad ...

Page 3 of 68 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast