Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768 LastLast

Thread: High Line Area Development

551 W 21st St

High Line Area Gets Just What It Needs: 374 New Rental Units

by Jeremiah Budin

It's about time somebody had the bright idea to do some residential development around the High Line. The Real Deal is reporting that Long Island-based Lalezarian Properties is planning to build three rental buildings between 28th and 29th streets, just west of 10th Avenue. One building will be 35 stories, and the other two will by 13 stories each. Together, they will contain 374 rental units. Each will also contain some retail space, with the developers "envisioning a gallery space," presumably for the largest tower. The new buildings will join this building and this building and this other building and the weird looking one and a bunch of other new buildings.

On the bright side, Lalezarian has received $165 million in financing from the state Housing Finance Agency and will set aside 75 apartments as affordable housing.

Long Island developer bringing 3 new resi towers to High Line [TRD]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...ntal_units.php

505 W19th

[img]https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3912/...422eec40_b.jpg[/img]

520 W28th

©tectonic

Luxury Condos at 500 West 21st Street Near Completion

by Rowley Amato

[All pics via New York YIMBY] Developments keep springing up along the High Line like spores of fungus, but the luxury condo building at 500 West 21st Street is one of the speediest of the neighborhood's many projects currently under construction. The building—which is being developed by Sherwood Equities and was designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox—only just broke ground in June of 2013 and now a little over a year later, it is nearing completion. YIMBY checked in this week and found that most of the exterior materials are already in place, including the detailing on the limestone tiles and casement windows. It is expected to be completed by the end of the year.

The building's 32 apartments hit the market back in February, all of which are currently in contract.

Construction Update: 500 West 21st Street [YIMBY]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/1...completion.php

High Line Decried as 'a Trojan Horse for the Real Estate People'

by Jeremiah Budin

[Photo via Facebook/La Luncheonette

The High Line, the third and final leg of which just opened, has indelibly changed West Chelsea since its inception five years ago, with enormous, hugely expensive condo towers sprouting on either side like weeds. That's a nice thing if you're, say, a Russian oligarch, and less of a nice thing if you're Melva Max, owner La Luncheonette. The beloved Chelsea restaurant is about to join the list of small businesses that have been muscled out of the once run-down area by soaring real estate values, and Max took some time to talk with Jeremiah Moss of Jeremiah's Vanishing New York about it.

Max's take on the situation is reasonable and measured. "My landlord's not a bad guy," she says, "but how you can you say no to offers of $30 million?" She has less kind words about the tourists, however (and she's not the first): "People aren't going to like me for saying this, but it feels like Disneyland around here now. Everyone's fighting the crowd to get to the next ride. People on the High Line look like lemmings, like they're walking on a treadmill." Not only that, but the tourists haven't even been good business — their buses drop them off one end of the High Line and pick them up on the other. The only ones who wander downstairs want to use her bathroom.

Max's complaints echo what many New Yorkers have been saying for years — that Manhattan is turning into an amusement park/strip mall for the super wealthy, filled with chain stores and condominiums and no room for anything else. "The High Line was a Trojan horse for the real-estate people," she tells Moss, and it's a sentiment that's tough to refute. Moss goes on to outline how the West Chelsea rezoning in 2005 that allowed for the High Line also expressly encouraged the exact type of development we're seeing now, with easy-to-come-by air rights and the possibility for additional height at minimal cost.

Not particularly ironically, the very buildings that the High Line made possible will soon turn it into a glassy canyon, blocking out the air, light, and views that helped to win the elevated park such acclaim when it first opened. Whether one could have existed without the other is a matter of debate, and but it's probably worth imagining what things would be like had the High Line not been accompanied by such aggressive rezoning. At the very least, Max says, "it could have been a nice park."

La Lunchonette VANISHING [JVNY]
    New York Classic La Lunchonette Is Crumbling Beneath the High Line in Chelsea [Eater NY]

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/1...ate_people.php

I read this article, and while I am deeply sympathetic to the plight of the this small business owner, I think it is a misunderstanding to call the highline a trojan horse. That would suggest creating it was secretive, or hidden giveaway to the realestate people, when in fact it was blatant and out in the open. it was more of a fireworks show for the realestate people than a trojan horse...

Sad.

In order of appearance: 505 W 19th Street, 860 Washington Street, 10 Hudson Yards, 50 W 28th Street, 507 W 28th Street, 520 W 30th Street, and the Hudson Yards complex.

505 W 19th from 10.25.14

tectonic

The one thing I did notice from the first time I walked the thing, is that it works much better as a tourist attraction than as a real public park. And that's really how it's functioning. It will be interesting to see, once the newness has worn off, if it holds it's attraction to the tourists. And if it doesn't, we'll get to see how good an idea it was as a real park.

As far as the real estate development, that was going to happen anyway. West Chelsea was sitting too fallow to be ignored, and the boom in the Meatpacking district was going to expand with or without the High Line being converted to a park. The other option would have been to demolish the rail line and open that land for redevelopment, which would have had the same effect.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    I read this article, and while I am deeply sympathetic to the plight of the this small business owner, I think it is a misunderstanding to call the highline a trojan horse. That would suggest creating it was secretive, or hidden giveaway to the realestate people, when in fact it was blatant and out in the open. it was more of a fireworks show for the realestate people than a trojan horse...
    Last edited by BBMW; November 1st, 2014 at 07:38 PM.

But I think it would have happened differently. I think it would have been much more development like what's being built in downtown Brooklyn and much less world class "starchitecture."

I think, being in Manhattan, it would be valuable enough to get the starchitect treatment even if the High Line hadn't been built as it has.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    But I think it would have happened differently. I think it would have been much more development like what's being built in downtown Brooklyn and much less world class "starchitecture."

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    I think, being in Manhattan, it would be valuable enough to get the starchitect treatment even if the High Line hadn't been built as it has.
    I think there's a stunning amount of evidence to the contrary, whether it be McSam hotels or the Kalahari on 116th St or roughly anything that's been built in Murray Hill in the last decade, etc.

We could go back and forth on this, but we'll never know.