Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Brompton - 200 East 86th Street - Condo (UES) - by Robert A.M. Stern

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    Extell head is Gary Barnett. Related Co's head is Stephen Ross.
    what are you trying to tell us, we know that.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

They've made some slight cosmetic changes -- mainly to the groundfloor facade and reconfigured the retail layout/entrances.

An improvement, I think.

The very latest:

Compare to previous:
    Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    The side facing Third Ave. minus the top 11 floors.
    All images from RKF.

Those changes are not so minor. The building is no longer Tudor, but conventional classical. The (subtle) stylistic rationale for how brick blends into stone is thus also gone --all in the interest of taking a few feet out of the ground floor,smaller, cheaper doors, and bigger signs --more commercial, in short.

Imo, this is a major defeat for stylish New York --something Stern understands so well. He must be livid, but he's putting the best possible face on it (literally).

They've altered it in a way that moves it from classy / elegant to standard-shopping-mall-facade

Does anyone happen to know the size of the apartment units and the projected finish date and sale prices?

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    Those changes are not so minor. The building is no longer Tudor, but conventional classical. The (subtle) stylistic rationale for how brick blends into stone is thus also gone --all in the interest of taking a few feet out of the ground floor,smaller, cheaper doors, and bigger signs --more commercial, in short.

Imo, this is a major defeat for stylish New York --something Stern understands so well. He must be livid, but he's putting the best possible face on it (literally).
    I agree with you and Lofter. This building is still nice, and I wager that it will be better than the one that Gershon is constructing on the next block. Nonetheless, the earlier version was nicer. Why would they downgrade the facade? I doubt that cost is that much of an issue since these apartments probably will be priced into the stratosphere.

i got a letter from prudential yesterday. it gave me an update on this bulding. apparently will be finished late 08 / early 09. also there will be an h&m clothing store and a barnes and noble in the retail section. the other 2 barnes and nobles in a circular two block area will close down.

via Curbed and Yorkville Blog

The Brompton - Related's new Condo on 86th and Third
    The Robert A M Stern designed condominium building being built by Related Sales now has a website. They're calling it The Brompton.

http://www.thebromptonnyc.com

The site has almost no details except:
    They expect a fall 2008 occupancy
    It will have studios, 1, 2, 3, 4, bedrooms and penthouses
    "Traditional yet modern interior"
    And they really like calling it "Proper". Perhaps they're trying to conjure up images of the more old-money section of the neighborhood, but truth is that area is a couple blocks to the west near Park and 5th Ave.

The following obscured rendering of 1269 Lex., which I believe is Gershon's new building at 86th and Lex was posted on Sotawall.com. Par for the course, insipid Gershon would have been better advised to renovate the beautiful, old structures that were there previously.

Looks like it, the Jefferson's Building is in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    Looks like it, the Jefferson's Building is in the background.
    You're right. This building is ok, but the ones that Extell razed were nice. There is a series of run-down, three story buildings on the west side of Lex between 84th and 85th. I would not have minded if this building were built in place of them, but the buildings on Extell's site were nice, albeit in the need of TLC. Also, this guy's fixation for glass is insane. I like glass in some places, but this area of the UES merits stone. R AM Stern's building on 86th and Third likely will be much nicer in my opinion.

I need to see more than the top corner of the rendering, but right now I see interesting geometries, quality materials, and greenery. I think a nice glass building would look nice in the area, the area is dominated by brick.

The Dude Abides

Yeah seriously, there's hardly any glass in that neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    Yeah seriously, there's hardly any glass in that neighborhood.
    Exactly I think Sotherby's looks great in its location, plop that anywhere in midtown and I couldn't care less.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast